ADVERTISEMENT

JoBo now #4 on the All Time Iowa Made 3 pointer List

who had better range? Chris or Jordan?
Chris. From a recliner.

6iTI.gif

LOL at the Pittsburgh comment. JoBo is cold blooded! When he put up the shot, did you know it was in? ;) Note that there was not a Penn State defender in site. And we criticize iowa's defense; I thought Penn State played horrific defense.

Also, regarding how the game has changed, wasn't Downtown Freddy Brown making crazy long jump shots in the 1970's at Iowa, just like JoBo is doing today? Imagine if Downtown Freddy had the 3 point line & there were a shot clock to speed the game up further!
That Iowa team didn’t need a shot clock. Averaging at 100 points per conference game.

Horner first...whos 2nd? McCauseland??

Matt Gatens is second.

McCausland had 214, Bohannon has 226 now. But McCausland shot 45 percent and took 73 less threes in his whole career than Bohannon has already taken for comparison. Kent also didn't play much as a freshman, just 11 threes in very limited minutes.

And Kent got to play in the shadows of Andre Woolridge.....who could collapse a defense.

Matt Gatens is second.

McCausland had 214, Bohannon has 226 now. But McCausland shot 45 percent and took 73 less threes in his whole career than Bohannon has already taken for comparison. Kent also didn't play much as a freshman, just 11 threes in very limited minutes.
But the line is farther out now than when Kent played.

Didn't Kingsbury skip his Senior year?
I’m not sure about that, I would have been about 10-11 when he played so I don’t remember. I looked at sports reference and he played in 27, 33, and 29 games in his 3 years, 89 total. Bohannon has played in 33, 34, and 18 games so far, 85 total, which makes JBo’s total all the more impressive in my eyes.

Reactions: Franisdaman
LOL at the Pittsburgh comment. JoBo is cold blooded! When he put up the shot, did you know it was in? ;) Note that there was not a Penn State defender in site. And we criticize iowa's defense; I thought Penn State played horrific defense.

Also, regarding how the game has changed, wasn't Downtown Freddy Brown making crazy long jump shots in the 1970's at Iowa, just like JoBo is doing today? Imagine if Downtown Freddy had the 3 point line & there were a shot clock to speed the game up further!
I wanted him to take a dribble in and shoot it because he was still so far away but had no problem because he was in rhythm. As Shon Morris said “straight cash homie”

Didn't Kingsbury skip his Senior year?
Here is a copy of the 95'-96' roster. We were stacked. This is the last year Kingsbury is on the roster so it looks like he was not on the team his senior year. Also, he went from averaging close to 17 points a game his sophomore year to averaging under 12 points his Junior year. Its fun to think what could've been if he keeps himself inline.

Player
Class Pos Height Summary
Jess Settles
JR F 6-7 15.1 Pts, 7.5 Reb, 3.1 Ast
Russ Millard SR C 6-8 13.7 Pts, 7.0 Reb, 0.9 Ast
Andre Woolridge JR G 6-1 13.1 Pts, 3.2 Reb, 6.0 Ast
Chris Kingsbury JR G 6-5 11.9 Pts, 2.3 Reb, 1.9 Ast
Kenyon Murray SR F 6-5 9.5 Pts, 4.4 Reb, 1.8 Ast
Ryan Bowen SO F 6-7 5.5 Pts, 4.5 Reb, 0.6 Ast
Mon'ter Glasper SR G 5-11 4.6 Pts, 3.4 Reb, 2.7 Ast
J.R. Koch FR F 6-10 3.4 Pts, 2.6 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Kent McCausland FR G 6-3 2.7 Pts, 1.1 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Greg Helmers SO C 1.1 Pts, 1.7 Reb, 0.2 Ast
Jason Bauer FR G 6-3 1.9 Pts, 1.0 Reb, 0.6 Ast
Alvin Robinson FR F 6-9 1.2 Pts, 1.3 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Darryl Moore SO G 3.3 Pts, 1.0 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Scott Rabenold FR G 0.8 Pts, 0.5 Reb, 0.4 Ast
Brian Haberer FR G 0.7 Pts, 1.

Reactions: Tunadog
As the warmups ended just before game time, Chris Kingsbury would grab a loose ball and take one final practice shot... from center court. Missed most, hit a few. But it was an effortless stroke that always had a chance. He once said he could get off a shot from the opposite free throw line. Not throw it... shoot it 75+ feet.

Kingsbury declared for the NBA draft after his junior year, Settles debated it but came back (and then was injured the following year, he's kind of exhibit A that I think of when someone doesn't go pro early). I remember Chris getting a tryout with the Washington Bullets and then he ended up in the CBA for a spell.

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
Anyone else surprised at Gatens not having a bigger total of 3-pointers? He was the whole team for a couple of years there. Thank God he stuck it out through the Licklighter years and had a good end to his career with Fran at the helm. One of my favorite Hawks.

Anyone else surprised at Gatens not having a bigger total of 3-pointers? He was the whole team for a couple of years there. Thank God he stuck it out through the Licklighter years and had a good end to his career with Fran at the helm. One of my favorite Hawks.

Not really. He shot a lot of 3s, but outside his big streak his senior year he was never a great 3 point shooter. He only shot 33 percent his middle two years.

Not really. He shot a lot of 3s, but outside his big streak his senior year he was never a great 3 point shooter. He only shot 33 percent his middle two years.
To add to that. He also played under Lick for half his career. That means 2 years of slow down, run 30 seconds off the clock on offense ball. That really limited possessions and shot attempts.

Kingsbury's big problem, to quote another poster, is that he took way too many "puke" shots. He'd make them once in a while and the crowd would go nuts. But many of those shots were not in the flow of the offense. Especially when you consider that the game was significantly different back then and not oriented around layups and 3 pointers like today. Plus we had a ton of talent in the post and at PG on those teams that he was taking opportunities away from by jacking up those shots. When he was hot he was unstoppable and a real weapon. But he definitely believed in the concept of a shooter shooting their way out of a slump.

Reactions: garberhawkeye
To add to that. He also played under Lick for half his career. That means 2 years of slow down, run 30 seconds off the clock on offense ball. That really limited possessions and shot attempts.

Kingsbury's big problem, to quote another poster, is that he took way too many "puke" shots. He'd make them once in a while and the crowd would go nuts. But many of those shots were not in the flow of the offense. Especially when you consider that the game was significantly different back then and not oriented around layups and 3 pointers like today. Plus we had a ton of talent in the post and at PG on those teams that he was taking opportunities away from by jacking up those shots. When he was hot he was unstoppable and a real weapon. But he definitely believed in the concept of a shooter shooting their way out of a slump.
Kingsbury was so strong. His stroke was effortless. I've never seen another college player shoot and nail shots as far out as him. He was streaky though and at times disruptive to an offense that wasn't exactly smooth flowing. I have always wondered if there was another backstory to him leaving after his junior year. The rumours were rampant about his partying and lifestyle.

I'd give the edge to Kingsbury as well, teams had to actually come out and guard him that far out because they knew he'd shoot it. Bohannon does shoot some long ones and has made a few, but he doesn't have the same reputation for doing so regularly enough that a defense has to actually game plan for it.

Jbo will be the all time 3pt leader probably early next year. He is money. Chris K hit over a 100 3's one year. His range was said to be infinite. We thought it was always going in. The actual range probably was close for both. Chris was hitting 26' shots before they extended the line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT