ADVERTISEMENT

JoBo's Intentional Missed FT after Tying Chris Street's School Record Getting National Praise

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Feb 25 UPDATE:

JoBo was 4-5 vs Northwestern (Feb 25 home game) and his consecutive FT streak ends; he ties Chris Street for the school record of 34 FT's in row.

In the postgame interview, it was clear JoBo missed attempt #35 on purpose.

Chad Leistikow‏Verified account@ChadLeistikow 40m40 minutes ago
Iowa's Jordan Bohannon now has the B1G FT% lead at 90% (63-70), just ahead of Michigan State's Miles Bridges' 89.8% (88-98).

Feb 18 UPDATE:

JoBo was 2-2 vs IU (Feb 17 home game) and now has made 32 FT's in row.

Jan 30 UPDATE:

JoBo was 4-4 tonight (Jan 30 game vs Minnesota) and now has made 30 FT's in row.

Jan 27 UPDATE:

JoBo was 2-2 tonight (Jan 27 game vs Nebraska) and now has made 26 FT's in row

Iowa Basketball‏Verified account@IowaHoops 43m43 minutes ago
Jordan Bohannon enters tonight's game vs Nebraska having made 24 consecutive free throw attempts, dating back to Jan. 4. Chris Street is Iowa’s record holder, making 34 straight free throws in 1993. #Hawkeyes

0 replies3 retweets22 likes

Last edited:
24273989_1465255696885482_77279930672480256_n.jpg

Reactions: HKI and VodkaSam
Didn't Jok get very close to breaking it? I have always wondered about someone getting to 32 and missing intentionally if it wasn't at a crucial point in the game. But, if you earn it, the record is yours.

Didn't Jok get very close to breaking it? I have always wondered about someone getting to 32 and missing intentionally if it wasn't at a crucial point in the game. But, if you earn it, the record is yours.

Yes jok did get very close. Chris Street would never want anyone to intentionally miss as to not break his record. That isn't the way Street played. He would be ticked if they did that.

I would like to see him get within one or tie and then miss the next one on purpose, ceremoniously. That said, I wouldn't judge him if he chose not to do such

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
I wouldn't want anyone to miss a crucial one on purpose to avoid breaking the record. On the other hand Streets total was 34+ considering that he passed away while holding the record and would have had the chance to add to it. Personally I hope that the record isn't broken.

Jok got to 28 last year as his best streak, but he had another of 19 earlier in the year.

I don't get you people who don't want the record to be broken. Maybe I'm just young and naive but records are made to be broken and quite honestly, there isn't a classier guy to break this record if he does. The Street family is rooting for him to do this and we should be too.

I see both ways. I think people my age that grew up with street playing and were impacted by his death probably find special meaning in him still holding it.

Intentionally missing one to preserve the current record would be awesome. Jordan and the program would get a ton of positive pub for that.

Obviously you can’t do it in crunch time.

Say what? If it was possible, I believe Chris Street would be the very first one cheering JoBo to break his standing record. Intentionally missing a shot to gain publicity is ridiculous.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
I see both ways. I think people my age that grew up with street playing and were impacted by his death probably find special meaning in him still holding it.

i hope he just plays his game and if he breaks the record, great; if not, it was not meant to be

one thing i hate about consecutive anything records is that the pressure has to be fairly great, especially now that he is just 4 away from tying and 5 from being on top

I hope he doesn't break it but no way in hell should he miss on purpose. I remember Chris Street's final game...making his last free throw with the Cameron Crazies going nuts. RIP Chris
I hope he never misses a free throw the rest of his Iowa career. Just can't see myself rooting for somebody to miss something doesn't make sense.

I don't get you people who don't want the record to be broken. Maybe I'm just young and naive but records are made to be broken and quite honestly, there isn't a classier guy to break this record if he does. The Street family is rooting for him to do this and we should be too.

yeah I'm 62 I remember that and I had loved Chris Street. I just don't think he would want jaybo to miss just wasn't the kind of kid he was

yeah I'm 62 I remember that and I had loved Chris Street. I just don't think he would want jaybo to miss just wasn't the kind of kid he was
the other thing with him is is you never had a chance to further his streak who knows how many in a row he would have made except for that damn snow plow

BTW, B1G records for most consecutive FTs:
1. 46, Todd Leary, IND ('90-'94)
2. 45, Steve Smith, MSU ('91)
3. 38, Jamar Butler, OSU ('08)
4. 37, Keith Smart, IND ('88)
5. 36, Rick Olson, WIS ('84-'85)

What's interesting about Leary's record is that it is spread over 4 seasons....so he had to pick up where he left off from the previous season and keep the streak going.
1990 (4)
1991-92 (6)
1992-93 (21)
1993-94 (15)

Reactions: Franisdaman
I always felt like it would have been pretty classy if Cal Ripken had tied Lou Gehrig's consecutive games played streak at 2,130 and then sat out. Gehrig, like Street, would have had a much longer streak but for the tragedy of contracting ALS. And, IMHO, Ripken would have been a much greater hero had he settled for tying Gehrig. After all, Ripken actually hurt his team by staying in the lineup simply to keep the streak going.

Anyway, yes, records are made to be broken, and I have no doubt you are right when you say no one is cheering louder for JBo than Chris Street himself.

Yes jok did get very close. Chris Street would never want anyone to intentionally miss as to not break his record. That isn't the way Street played. He would be ticked if they did that.
He, also, would never root against someone wearing an Iowa uniform breaking his record like you did in your previous post.

Reactions: Kurt Warner and HKI
I personally don't want it broken, just for the fact that Chris didn't miss to end the streak! I hope it never is broken!

Reactions: HKI
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT