ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Toussaint...Wow! Jon Rothstein (CBS Sports): "Buy Stock Now."

Joe T is a New York guy and brings that "You want a piece of me?" attitude. Plus he's already built like a running back. What a big asset this guy is going to be. His improvement already in this young season shows he's a worker too.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I think you’re going to be disappointed with the results. It will then be interesting to see how you proceed from there. I decided a few years ago Fran is not the right guy. He regularly embarrasses the university, can’t recruit, attempts to play uptempo with a downtempo roster, can’t figure out defense, etc. Anyway, we all figure things out at our own pace and I will see you sooner or later in my camp :)

regularly embarrasses the university? JFC

Yeah, I hate our slow white guys currently putting up the 5th most efficient offense in the nation.

This. Excellent points. I think you could see the other Hawkeyes taking more pride in making sharp passes, hustling on defense, and playing with greater urgency and energy. That's what one Joe T is doing--as a true freshman--for this basketball team.

For Iowa to have a successful season this year, whether Bohannon plays or not, Joe T has to play 30-35 minutes per game. He has what no one can teach and what Iowa has been lacking for a long, long time. It's great to see the young man from the Bronx setting the standard in Iowa City.
He will get there, long season ahead but his minutes are going to go up if he plays anywhere near the level he did against North Florida. I'm looking forward to being in Vegas next week to watch them against the team's in the country they'll need to beat or minimally stay close to to be in the tournament.

Reactions: owenhawk
I think you’re going to be disappointed with the results. It will then be interesting to see how you proceed from there. I decided a few years ago Fran is not the right guy. He regularly embarrasses the university, can’t recruit, attempts to play uptempo with a downtempo roster, can’t figure out defense, etc. Anyway, we all figure things out at our own pace and I will see you sooner or later in my camp :)

Sound like the worst coach in the nation. Can’t believe they were a shot away from making the Sweet 16 last year. If he regulatly embarrasses the University, love to see what you think of Izzo and Pearl and others.

Reactions: jimbob22
Sound like the worst coach in the nation. Can’t believe they were a shot away from making the Sweet 16 last year. If he regulatly embarrasses the University, love to see what you think of Izzo and Pearl and others.

All you have to do is win 2 games in the tournament to reach the Sweet 16, and Fran has not even managed to do that once since he has been here. Izzo may be a scumbag, but he is a winner. Something that Fran will never be.

All you have to do is win 2 games in the tournament to reach the Sweet 16, and Fran has not even managed to do that once since he has been here. Izzo may be a scumbag, but he is a winner. Something that Fran will never be.

Great post. Some people are cool with scumbags, some are not.

Reactions: Ronman
8 rebounds and 5 points. Not bad.

The Joes need to have the ball in their hands. Joe T.needs a bigger role. Yes, he is a freshman... How does he learn? Play.

Am I nuts?

He does a great job attacking the glass and being aggressive, especially for his size. He struggled on the offensive end. Forced some jumpers and made a couple bad passes. But that’s fine he will be up and down but it’s very promising.

Last edited:
Sad/stupid.
I'd rather be turked by a syphilitic grizzly bear than be in your camp.

8 rebounds and 5 points. Not bad.

The Joes need to have the ball in their hands. Joe T.needs a bigger role. Yes, he is a freshman... How does he learn? Play.

Am I nuts?

Joe T went 1-9 from the floor. He needs to learn to pass off in some of those situations. And I believe that he will....

Love his game. His rebounding, passing and defense are all good. They say he is very coachable too. That is a good thing. That will help his game progress quickly. It will help lower those bad shots, and turn them into assists.

Joe will be getting starter minutes by the B1G, IMHO.

He's going to make mistakes, probably quite a few. If he's "coachable", then coach him. If he makes 3 or 4 significant errors in a short span then pull him for a couple of minutes, explain what he should be looking to do, get him to acknowledge that he understands, then get him back on the floor. Getting him back on the floor, soon, is important for his development and for the team's success.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
He's going to make mistakes, probably quite a few. If he's "coachable", then coach him. If he makes 3 or 4 significant errors in a short span then pull him for a couple of minutes, explain what he should be looking to do, get him to acknowledge that he understands, then get him back on the floor. Getting him back on the floor, soon, is important for his development and for the team's success.

If the PG is consistently making 3-4 significant errors in a short span he probably should not be playing very much.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Sad/stupid.
I'd rather be turked by a syphilitic grizzly bear than be in your camp.

Yeah, that sounds really fun getting turked like that.

I'm still a Hawkeye and a fan of the team, but I've simply realized (I dunno, about 2 years back) that Fran isn't a good coach.

You probably can't refute my points though, so better to insult?

He's a really good defender already as a Freshman. Almost got burned on a backdoor cut and gambles a bit too much. But he's lockdown when it's just one on one. These are defensive lapses that are common in all young players.

I think the Hawks will get beat up in B10 play. Pemsl looks slow and fat. Bohannon is a waste on defense. The team's clear 3 best players imo are Joe, Garza, and Weiskamp. But after that they're going to need to find depth.
I think Fredricks looks like he’ll be a good defender/capable scorer. With Nunge’s season ending injury Pemsl & Kriener should be able to match (or exceed) Nunge’s stats.

I'm torn about this, simply because it is often good to have that player who comes off the bench to jump-start the team. Most NBA teams have a 6th-man instant offense guy, maybe Joe T can be that for Iowa.

But as others have said, total minutes (and being in the game at crunch time) is more important than who starts.
Okay, won't argue there. He should be playing more than he did Sunday. Gonna make mistakes but cook made a lot too, we just need him to keep developing so he's as ready as possible for bten. Kid has really charged up my enthusiasm for this season, fun to watch

I don't know if anyone mentioned that Joe is hitting 75% of his FT's. I'll take that plus the rebounds and assists he gets. The scoring will happen over time. Hope he continues to drive to the basket and become a foul magnet.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Yeah, that sounds really fun getting turked like that.

I'm still a Hawkeye and a fan of the team, but I've simply realized (I dunno, about 2 years back) that Fran isn't a good coach.

You probably can't refute my points though, so better to insult?

I don’t think he’s an elite coach by any means and I think his loyalty to his guys sometimes hinders his decisions (and would explain why it sounds like his players love him) but it is pretty easy to refute you saying that he is not at least a good coach.

Please state your reasoning on why he is a bad coach. I mean according to some of the posters he’s a terrible coach, terrible recruiter, and has a team full of D III players yet somehow makes the tourney more often then not (and yes I’m giving him a pass his first few years because the program was the worst in the Big Ten when he took over).

Licklighter was a bad D1 coach.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
Rough game for Touissant last night, but I like that he didn't hang his head. His shot wasn't falling, but he kept scrapping and got some boards, deflected a few balls and got to the line. Would have loved to see a couple of those shots fall as he did a nice job creating space for himself. If memory serves he rebounded his own miss once or twice. I think he will have some Moss-type games when he is feeling it and shots fall and then games like yesterday when he goes 0-7.

I liked Connor's mid-range game. Seems much more confident 10-15 than at the arc. Really tough to defend that shot given his size.

I don’t think he’s an elite coach by any means and I think his loyalty to his guys sometimes hinders his decisions (and would explain why it sounds like his players love him) but it is pretty easy to refute you saying that he is not at least a good coach.

Please state your reasoning on why he is a bad coach. I mean according to some of the posters he’s a terrible coach, terrible recruiter, and has a team full of D III players yet somehow makes the tourney more often then not (and yes I’m giving him a pass his first few years because the program was the worst in the Big Ten when he took over).

My two-cents is that Fran is a pretty decent X and O guy, he's just been victim of his own poor recruiting. He runs some good stuff offensively, but has been hampered by below average PG play since he arrived at Iowa. His desire to play fast hasn't lived up to what many of us old enough to remember Dr. Tom's version of playing fast. That was a very unique time for Iowa hoops given the star power on those teams. Not expecting Fran to clone that team, but IMO he has undervalued athleticism from day.

Lickliter was in over his head from day one, but still holds a grudge against Iowa. Read some recent article about him and he talked about regretting leaving Butler, not valuing their culture enough and not getting enough time at Iowa (along with some things he did not elaborate on). Who was Lickliter's best recruit? Jake Kelly? That is only name that came to mind. Anthony Tucker was OK when not having off the court issues. Cy Tate maybe?

My two-cents is that Fran is a pretty decent X and O guy, he's just been victim of his own poor recruiting. He runs some good stuff offensively, but has been hampered by below average PG play since he arrived at Iowa. His desire to play fast hasn't lived up to what many of us old enough to remember Dr. Tom's version of playing fast. That was a very unique time for Iowa hoops given the star power on those teams. Not expecting Fran to clone that team, but IMO he has undervalued athleticism from day.

Lickliter was in over his head from day one, but still holds a grudge against Iowa. Read some recent article about him and he talked about regretting leaving Butler, not valuing their culture enough and not getting enough time at Iowa (along with some things he did not elaborate on). Who was Lickliter's best recruit? Jake Kelly? That is only name that came to mind. Anthony Tucker was OK when not having off the court issues. Cy Tate maybe?

Tate played his first year under Alford.

I already did, and even in this thread... but here you go:

Regularly embarrasses my university with his outbursts
Doesn't have a clue how to coach defense (despite claiming this is the focal point of several off seasons?)
Recruiting has been poor - not so much missing on the big targets, but not having plan B ready to go
Insisting on playing uptempo with a roster of guys that cannot do it (not just a PG problem, it is an overall athleticism issue)
Substitution patterns are wacky as hell and he plays too many guys

I had my eyes opened watching Texas Tech last year. They had that stud freshman that was under-recruited / late bloomer if memory serves and some really athletic pieces + the transfer Mooney who was tough as hell and a glue guy. Beard drilled those guy on D and it showed. I was left wondering why Fran hasn't come close to assembling that type of roster at this point in his tenure. Seemed like they only played 7-8 guys.

He has had some nice finds here and there, but hasn't been able to construct a roster that remotely reflects the style he wants to play. A guy like Olaseni should be a staple on this team every year--long, athletic, runs the floor, shot blocker / rim protector on the press, etc. Next year's class appears to be more representative of what I have been expecting from day one.

I think Fran is a vey good coach with one or two big weaknesses to his tenure (kinda like Ferentz and his rarely great offenses).
Fran has missed on 2 big Iowa recruits the last 2 years. That's hard to recover as the program is built on keeping those guys in state and building around them.
Fran has struggled to get the point guard position where it needs to be. Lots of reasons for this.
If you followed recruiting, he had gone after bigger star point guard recruits, just can't get them to bite.
Gessell was a good get but could never get his outside shot perfected. Could have been so much more with that.
I think for a long while he tried to get a bunch of combo guards to make up for it to place them on the court at the same time (like Gessell and Clemons played together as seniors). They didn't bite either.
He has finally dipped into New York to get a quick point guard. I thought he might try this sooner being an East coast guy. Maybe he did and it didn't work. It remains to be seen if JT will get his shot consistently working. Lots of time.
Fran has tried lots of things and certainly teaches assists and passing. Next year with Ulis maybe he'll have what he needs.
For years Fran went after length in recruiting as it was undervalued. Everyone knew who the uber quick guys were. But long guys could make up for that in some ways. I'm sure Coach envisioned at this point being further along getting next step recruits with quickness.
Losing Moss this year hurt. You take a guy like that for his senior year. He needed a red shirt, academic help, and time. This was the year for that to pay off. Imagine this team with Moss instead of Bakari (with great respect to Bakari). How deep would our offensive guard court be? We coulda gone 4g and a post a lot more.
Sorry about the long rant.

Doesn't have a clue how to coach defense (despite claiming this is the focal point of several off seasons?)
Recruiting has been poor - not so much missing on the big targets, but not having plan B ready to go
Insisting on playing uptempo with a roster of guys that cannot do it (not just a PG problem, it is an overall athleticism issue)

I’ll give you a few of them but the embarrasses the university is more of personal thing for you I would say. There are plenty of coaches that act like him. There are even more in football (Ferentz is in the minority and plenty of people that get mad he’s not more demostrative).

I still don’t think a bad coach could win at this level with all of the issues you bring up. I think Ihawkhoops is closer to the truth. He must be doing something right.

assuming this year turns out poorly, then it will be 3 out of last 4 years with teams that missed the NCAA tourney. Gatens/Marble/Uthoff/Jok were most of his stars and they are all legacies/Iowa kids that any Iowa coach could have gotten. The more recent losses of DJ and Foster are part of his trend of letting the program go down the toilet. Fran is not a good coach because he doesn't recruit very well, especially African American athletes.

assuming this year turns out poorly, then it will be 3 out of last 4 years with teams that missed the NCAA tourney. Gatens/Marble/Uthoff/Jok were most of his stars and they are all legacies/Iowa kids that any Iowa coach could have gotten. The more recent losses of DJ and Foster are part of his trend of letting the program go down the toilet. Fran is not a good coach because he doesn't recruit very well, especially African American athletes. He also can't field a team that plays good man-to-man defense, so you get a lot of points, but you still lose--lickliter you didn't get points and you also lost.

Joe T was awefull the other night. 1-9 from field, turnovers etc...If Conner played like that he would be getting killed. Joe T tries to hard to be cute vs learning to run offense and make the easy pass. Had CJF and JW wide open 2 times each while he was just pounding the ball. Not killing the kid but lets not make him the second coming when he was bad.

Joe T was awefull the other night. 1-9 from field, turnovers etc...If Conner played like that he would be getting killed. Joe T tries to hard to be cute vs learning to run offense and make the easy pass. Had CJF and JW wide open 2 times each while he was just pounding the ball. Not killing the kid but lets not make him the second coming when he was bad.

That performance is why I said pump the breaks. I think Joey T is going to be pretty good, love his attitude and athleticism. But he's not ready or close to ready to start against good competition. CMac, another ESPN 4* top 100 recruit, is giving us quality play. We'll have a better idea about 10 pm on Thanksgiving.

Joe needs to learn how to slow his game down before he is able to speed it up, he'll get there,... Glad we have him and I think he and Ulis will compliment each other nicely next year....

Reactions: Hawksfor3
assuming this year turns out poorly, then it will be 3 out of last 4 years with teams that missed the NCAA tourney. Gatens/Marble/Uthoff/Jok were most of his stars and they are all legacies/Iowa kids that any Iowa coach could have gotten. The more recent losses of DJ and Foster are part of his trend of letting the program go down the toilet. Fran is not a good coach because he doesn't recruit very well, especially African American athletes.

This didn’t age well. It’s one game but Fran thoroughly out coached the National Coach of the Year and the flavor of the month media and fan darling being proclaimed best college coach in the planet in Beard. For a guy who can’t coach or recruit, that was a great job by Fran.

This didn’t age well. It’s one game but Fran thoroughly out coached the National Coach of the Year and the flavor of the month media and fan darling being proclaimed best college coach in the planet in Beard. For a guy who can’t coach or recruit, that was a great job by Fran.
Fran did well tonight. And I am not a Fran fan. I’ll happily eat crow if we keep getting better. They looked like a tournament team tonight.
Still think he could shorten the bench a little.

Fran did well tonight. And I am not a Fran fan. I’ll happily eat crow if we keep getting better. They looked like a tournament team tonight.
Still think he could shorten the bench a little.

He played 9 guys and Kreiner and Evelyn only played about 5 minutes each. He can’t shorten it much more. Putting forth that kind of effort, guys are going to need breaks.

Any question that Joe T is EXACTLY what the doctor ordered.

SO glad to have athleticism at the point that will give our shooters space to shoot.
He reminds me of a seemingly morw in control Washpun. Not considered a shooter, yet, so hopefully that develops. He's pulled in some impressive rebounds for a guy his size, and his ability to penetrate is exactly what this team needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT