ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Budmayr Expected to be Named WR Coach

He was not a very good Big Ten QB coach or OC and he has no experience coaching WRs.

Iowa WRs have been bad and underutilized but that is, like, a bad thing. It shouldn't be the goal (and it's not like we have literally never had good WRs). Brian being a dumbass who couldn't scheme receivers open doesn't mean they should just throw up their hands and proceed as though the position doesn't matter and can be coached by anyone.
Well, now we are getting down to it. Tell me why he wasn't a good QB coach or offensive coordinator. Be specific.

Bud is a really bad hire but he's way more qualified for the job than McNutt is.

I really do not understand why so many Iowa fans think anyone who had ever played for Iowa can just walk into a big ten coaching job with basically no experience. Being a good player does not make you a good coach, most great coaches were average players at absolute best. If you want them to hire a former player at least go with Shumpert or something.
I'm not advocating for McNutt, but I don't think Bud is the answer.

WR, like QB, is a unique position, but in a different way. There is lots of ego involved within the WR room as well as on the field. Invariably, when fights start and flags are flying, in practice or a game, a WR or DB started it.

There's an entirely different mentality with those groups.

QBs don't fit that mentality. They are mentally FAR above the thinking of those players, and it will be clear from the onset.

On top of that, QBs have ZERO experience running routes and being defended, so there is little to no relate-ability in recruiting, in the room or on the field. They may know where the receiver needs to be, but not necessarily the best way to get there.

You need a dude who has done it for that particular position.

Bud has been in an office for two years now, and before that working on field with QBs. Big deal.

Lester needs a guy he can be in lock step with, sharing ideas and corrections with...and that certainly was not the case with BF and Kelton as it was a one way street.

JMO

Reactions: uihawk82
You need a dude who has done it for that particular position.
Disagree whole heartedly. You need a guy that knows how to coach in general and doesn't need to be in that position. For example, Reese Morgan was a pretty good D-Line coach and he was an O-Linemen. LaVarr at TE coach. Being a former player at that position might get you cred in the room for Day 1 but the players will know if you're full of it on day two.

• Haha
Reactions: coorsoriginal02
Disagree whole heartedly. You need a guy that knows how to coach in general and doesn't need to be in that position. For example, Reese Morgan was a pretty good D-Line coach and he was an O-Linemen. LaVarr at TE coach. Being a former player at that position might get you cred in the room for Day 1 but the players will know if you're full of it on day two.I
I understand where you are coming from, and I generally agree with you regarding other positions.

With Reese and LaVar, the one transferrable thing they had was an understanding of fronts and how to push or attack them. Same thing with BF when he coached TEs as well as Abdul in the current state of the Iowa staff. They understand close quarters leverage, fundamentals and points of attack.

Inside play is completely different from outside play, as one is in a tight space and the other is in wide open space.

The other thing is having legitimacy to actually get the guys in the room first. Then to strengthen that.

The one Iowa WR coach I know of who had great success was Erik Campbell, a former WR. He coached DJK and McNutt, as well as Moeaki once he took over TEs. All had tremendously successful careers in terms of productivity.

Disagree whole heartedly. You need a guy that knows how to coach in general and doesn't need to be in that position. For example, Reese Morgan was a pretty good D-Line coach and he was an O-Linemen. LaVarr at TE coach. Being a former player at that position might get you cred in the room for Day 1 but the players will know if you're full of it on day two.
FWIW, among the other teams in the new B1G next year, 7 of the 17 other teams (aside from Iowa) have WR coaches who did not play WR. USC actually has two WR coaches, and neither played WR. So the total is 8.

The breakdown: 5 were QBs; 1 was a RB; and 2 were LBs.

The number of non-WRs was higher than I thought it would be.

That said, I did not look at how many of those non-WRs had experience coaching WRs before landing their B1G coaching job.

I don't think you need to have played it to be a good coach. Kirk is one of the best OL coaches ever and he was a linebacker. Urban Meyer was a defensive back who launched his career as a WR coach. But I do think a program like Iowa should be able to hire someone who has actually coached it before and has a record of developing good receivers, even if it's at the G5 level

I understand where you are coming from, and I generally agree with you regarding other positions.

With Reese and LaVar, the one transferrable thing they had was an understanding of fronts and how to push or attack them. Same thing with BF when he coached TEs as well as Abdul in the current state of the Iowa staff. They understand close quarters leverage, fundamentals and points of attack.

Inside play is completely different from outside play, as one is in a tight space and the other is in wide open space.

The other thing is having legitimacy to actually get the guys in the room first. Then to strengthen that.

The one Iowa WR coach I know of who had great success was Erik Campbell, a former WR. He coached DJK and McNutt, as well as Moeaki once he took over TEs. All had tremendously successful careers in terms of productivity.
I am with you on having reservations about Budmayr though. He really hasn't had a bunch of experience as a true position coach. That is my sticking point. In my experience(20+ years ago), QB coaches don't really interact with the other players. I wonder how he will handle a larger position group. Hopefully, Lester coaches him up and it all ends up with sunshine and rainbows

FWIW, among the other teams in the new B1G next year, 7 of the 17 other teams (aside from Iowa) have WR coaches who did not play WR. USC actually has two WR coaches, and neither played WR. So the total is 8.

That said, I did not look at how many of those non-WRs had experience coaching WRs before landing their B1G coaching job.
I don't think you necessarily need to have played the position to be a good coach of that position. There are countless examples, including KF as an OL coach.

To me, JB still needs to prove that he can be a high quality coach. His body of work to this point is not particularly impressive. The fact that he's spent two years as an analyst and not a position coach after being a QB coach for 3 years and OC/QB for another year, is a bit concerning. Add to that the performance of the players/unit he was in charge of, including being a so-called QB guru for Iowa the past 2 seasons, does not exactly inspire confidence, either.

That's not to say that he can't be a great WR coach. I just don't think Iowa is a place to learn on the job. I personally think that he needs to go to the G5 or FCS level to find his niche.

Iowa is in dire need of help at the WR position, and KF (and TL) needs to take this hiring pretty darn serious...

I am with you on having reservations about Budmayr though. He really hasn't had a bunch of experience as a true position coach. That is my sticking point. In my experience(20+ years ago), QB coaches don't really interact with the other players. I wonder how he will handle a larger position group. Hopefully, Lester coaches him up and it all ends up with sunshine and rainbows
I really hope Kirk empowers Tim to make the decision on the WR coach. Would be a positive and massive step in truly addressing the offensive woes and moving forward.

Kirk anointing Bud would disrupt any positive momentum that Tim is going to be working to build up.

Kirk certainly has to sign off on the hire, but from an organizational and reporting standpoint, if KF hires a guy to lead the offense (Tim) then that guy should be able to make the informed decision on an open position that report directly to him.

It takes KF off the hook somewhat and lights a fire under the OC and new WR coach to perform.

Football is a meritorious system. Perform and move upward. Fail and move outward.

I really hope Kirk empowers Tim to make the decision on the WR coach. Would be a positive and massive step in truly addressing the offensive woes and moving forward.

Kirk anointing Bud would disrupt any positive momentum that Tim is going to be working to build up.

Kirk certainly has to sign off on the hire, but from an organizational and reporting standpoint, if KF hires a guy to lead the offense (Tim) then that guy should be able to make the informed decision on an open position that report directly to him.

It takes KF off the hook somewhat and lights a fire under the OC and new WR coach to perform.

Football is a meritorious system. Perform and move upward. Fail and move outward.
Didn't Tim work with Sky Moore, good luck doing that at Iowa. If Bud is named WR coach there is no way they can recruit that position. Kirk needs to let his new OC make the call.

6 of them played in space. It really is a different animal.

Boyz, there is a thread (from this last weekend) in the premium forum started by an Admin with a title that states it is known who the WR coach is, and then if you click on that forum you can see part of the first post and it contains the name Budamry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boyz, there is a thread (from this last weekend) in the premium forum started by an Admin with a title that states it is known who the WR coach is, and then if you click on that forum you can see part of the first post and it contains the name Budamry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no.gif

There is still hope fellas. Kirk said should be decided in the next 2 weeks. So maybe by May.

Bud is not going to be it.
I was expecting a quick Bud announcement, given the rumors out there. But given the delay, maybe that won't be the case.

Maybe Bud is going to be hired as the QB coach at Boston College. ;)

Is Jake Moreland a name to keep an eye on for WR coach?

Reactions: Underscore2
I was expecting a quick Bud announcement, given the rumors out there. But given the delay, maybe that won't be the case.

Maybe Bud is going to be hired as the QB coach at Boston College. ;)

Is Jake Moreland a name to keep an eye on for WR coach?
I could think of worse options, but honestly it would be nice to have someone that played the position. With that said, anyone outside of Budmayr would be nice.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
Yep, look at Seth Wallace, LWoods, etc. They weren't all world in the areas they coach, but they can coach it. Seriously hoping that Lester can pick his own guys for position coaches.

I'm hearing he's soon to be a casualty.

There's a new sheriff in town.

Parker just got bumped $500,000.

Wallace got bumped $250,000.

OC base salarywas moved from $850,000 to $1,100,00 in 2024 and $1,300.000 in 2025.

Bud was making $325,000 as the only analyst on the staff...for the poorest producing phase of the team.

Brand new AD who has to manage a budget off the heels of a surplus year.

We'll see.

Last edited:
  • Love
Same premium forum that was sure about Johns? This is great news.

What has Budmayr done to earn being named the WR coach at Iowa? Has he produced decent results anywhere in his career, or is he simply one of those guys who talks a good game?

They could have already extended it without announcing it yet. He was at Junior Day and it sounds like they were telling recruits Budmayr will be the WR coach
He's already telling recruits he is the WR coach lol
How galactically stupid could a person or persons be to speak that way in a University setting on prospective player visits?

Iowa is typically far more buttoned up than that.

The HC stating that the announcement would come in approximately 2 weeks, and then he's scooped at a recruiting event?

Who speaks freely about him being the guy prior to the University making a formal announcement and with high awareness that major donors are adamantly against such an appointment?

Not trusting this judgement. Nothing to talk about until there is ink on pink.

And he's telling savvy social media teenagers about his hire and there's not a hint of it on the inter webs post-Junior day.

I may be wrong. And will happily admit if so.

But this is some stinky cheese in Denmark.

How galactically stupid could a person or persons be to speak that way in a University setting on prospective player visits?

Iowa is typically far more buttoned up than that.

The HC stating that the announcement would come in approximately 2 weeks, and then he's scooped at a recruiting event?

Who speaks freely about him being the guy prior to the University making a formal announcement and with high awareness that major donors are adamantly against such an appointment?

Not trusting this judgement. Nothing to talk about until there is ink on pink.

And he's telling savvy social media teenagers about his hire and there's not a hint of it on the inter webs post-Junior day.

I may be wrong. And will happily admit if so.

But this is some stinky cheese in Denmark.
If true, enough for Kirk to dismiss him on the spot?

H
I'm aware of all that. He is also an experienced QB coach and former offensive coordinator. It just seems that everybody woke up one day and decided that he was the worst thing ever. I get the sinking feeling that no one knows if that is actually true.
His judgement in the Hill situation does not instill confidence.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Will wait and see what proves out.

I have no reason to disbelieve Ad-Hawk as it is the first I've heard about Dub being introduced as the WR coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT