ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Dix injury

This is bad. Real bad. Compound fracture with bone coming out of the skin. Feel awful for the kid. And his coach had him in the game with 2 min to play in a blowout win. Hate to see it.
This sucks. Hope he okay and gets a great surgeon. Why is he in game with 2 minutes left in a blowout? Zero reason he should have even been on the court.

Your post cut off.

Some more info: Open (broken skin) tibia-fibula fracture. Just horrible.

a00582f01.jpg

Last edited:
This sucks. Hope he okay and gets a great surgeon. Why is he in game with 2 minutes left in a blowout? Zero reason he should have even been on the court.

The injury occurred while playing defense, up 19 points.

From the story linked at the end of this post:

AL won 52-33. The contest, however, was stopped with 1:45 left in regulation as a senior guard and University of Iowa commit Dix suffered a serious injury on the Lynx’s defensive side of the court. The officials declared the game over soon after the injury while Dix was being treated for a leg injury.

You hate to play Monday morning QB but you bring up a good point. Why is he in and not the kids who never see the floor. One thing is with Iowa's guards next year he can take a red shirt and give himself plenty of time to heal. For those who remember just hope it isn't a Paul Lusk type of injury where he was never quite the same after his leg injury and ended up finishing his career in the MVC.

You hate to play Monday morning QB but you bring up a good point. Why is he in and not the kids who never see the floor. One thing is with Iowa's guards next year he can take a red shirt and give himself plenty of time to heal. For those who remember just hope it isn't a Paul Lusk type of injury where he was never quite the same after his leg injury and ended up finishing his career in the MVC.
I mean up 19 with 2 minutes left is not the same as up 30 with 2 minutes left. Hindsight yes, but the chance of that serious of an injury is extremely small no matter when. Hopeful for speedy recovery.

Gonna sound like a negative tone here, but it's not intended to be.
He'll be airlifted to UIHC within 2 hours to get things operated on. He's a member of the Hawkeye family the minute he signed. Fran will make certain of that and he'll be competing on the court again in '24.
Why would they airlift him 2 hours when UN-O Medical Center and other great hospitals are literally 20 minutes away by ambulance?

Reactions: Wadukester
Wonder if he had some kind of stress fracture that caused this. Doctors today are fantastic. He will be back better than ever.
Yeah that's been the going theory on this type of injury. Some other notable names who had a similar injury were Paul George and before that, the Louisville guy during their NCAA Tournament run, I believe the year they won the title, under Pitino.

It's been assumed that there were either underlying deficiencies or a stress fracture that led to such a major break, especially if they were non-contact.

Wonder if he had some kind of stress fracture that caused this. Doctors today are fantastic. He will be back better than ever.

Yeah that's been the going theory on this type of injury. Some other notable names who had a similar injury were Paul George and before that, the Louisville guy during their NCAA Tournament run, I believe the year they won the title, under Pitino.

It's been assumed that there were either underlying deficiencies or a stress fracture that led to such a major break, especially if they were non-contact.

So, in other words, it was perhaps only a matter of time before the bones gave and it really didn't matter that he was still in the game?

I have no idea; it's interesting that a stress fracture could lead to a devastating injury like this simply by jumping and then landing.

And I hate that the head coach is being blamed; as if he does not feel horrible enough.

Thanks.

Paul George had the exact same injury (Tibia fracture) and George's was GRUESOME. About as bad as it could be. But since the injury, George has racked up 5 all star appearances and averaged over 20 pts a game every year. (averaged 28 in 18-19).

So there is evidence that an athlete can definitely recover from this injury and be a productive player. Prayers up for Dix

I presume none of us know anything about the coach, but from here it's pretty tough to justify having a D1 recruit in the game with a 19-point lead and under 2 minutes to play.

I knew a high school football player back in the day, for some context perhaps, who was injured in a preseason scrimmage and ended up having his left leg amputated just below the knee. That was several decades ago. He's still wearing a prosthesis, but that day ended not only a promising football career but track career as well.

A double compound fracture is a horrible injury, but the young man still has his leg and, probably, will recover and continue his career. Is it really bad luck? Absolutely. Could it have been worse. Yes. And no doubt we all wish him well in his recovery.

Take D3 supplements

He's young and if he gets a good surgeon...he can bounce back. It will be a long road though and extremely frustrating. I had a compound fracture in a skiing accident. Trustment I'm three times his age, but I was back cycling and working out with low resistance in a few months. They don't cast these things anymore...you are encouraged when you get to a certain point with the pain to start exercising. Atrophy is a freaky thing though. It has memory and I can't tell you how many times I would make huge progress, then suffer setbacks and struggle.

The key is the surgeon...I had a great one...as Vail has a slew of top notch surgeons just waiting for people to roll off the slopes with severe injuries. It's kind of funny...if you are a great surgeon, where would you live...where you have a steady stream of customers...skiing injuries are like clockwork...always happening. I was on a gurney outside a treatment room and there was a line of gurneys ahead of me like planes waiting to take off. It was kind of funny...not so much at the time, but after I thought about it post recovery.

Hang in there Josh...you will be fine. Your timeline changed...that's it. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Reactions: BBHawk and IowasLaw
I’m the midst of a killer senior year too. Awful deal for Josh. Hope he’s able to make a full recovery and bounce back better than ever!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT