ADVERTISEMENT

JV match?

I wish they could get this started maybe Flo could help I would gladly pay more to my subscription. Maybe a few more open tournaments throughout season and a JV nationals.
Lots of things come into play like logistics, financials and the obligation of being a healthy backup to the starters. Fund raising and the ability of NCAA athletes to be paid could help support the financial end, possibly help from outside sources like Flo.
I’m not sure how this could all work and I’m sure it’s been discussed, but it’s a shame some these high caliber athletes Go through all this training and get very few opportunities to compete outside the rooms.

I wish they could get this started maybe Flo could help I would gladly pay more to my subscription. Maybe a few more open tournaments throughout season and a JV nationals.
Lots of things come into play like logistics, financials and the obligation of being a healthy backup to the starters. Fund raising and the ability of NCAA athletes to be paid could help support the financial end, possibly help from outside sources like Flo.
I’m not sure how this could all work and I’m sure it’s been discussed, but it’s a shame some these high caliber athletes Go through all this training and get very few opportunities to compete outside the rooms.
Some of these guys never wrestle a day on jv prior to ncaa career and prob wouldn’t be caught dead at a JV nationals tournament. Nevertheless I would pay to watch it.

Reactions: Wink8 and SDHN2013
Why couldn't we have a JV match with 2 deep powerhouses going at it like this Friday? Wouldn't that be fun? I would pay extra to watch...

I don’t think it would be all that close if they were to do it this Friday. Iowa has about 8 or 9 backups that would likely be qualifiers at another school, not sure anybody has that kind of depth.

It would be a very good idea to get the "back ups" more matches. I can not remember looking back if we use to pair a few guys up who were not wrestling in a Varsity dual back in college?

But why not do it? I am sure most teams including F*** st. are traveling with several extra wrestlers. Why not pair them up?

It would also be a great idea to set up a big tournament for all Non- Varsity guys. If you read the Glynn article, I believe you would want to see him and many others getting a shot at wrestling in an end of season Tournament.

Guessing the only big obstacle is $$$$. Maybe set it up where some of the tournaments that these guys already go to are "qualifiers" and you designate one in each region. Just like the B1Gs, you have to win it to move on.

Then hold it at a big venue after NCAAs and maybe add a bunch of free clinics by coaches and wrestlers, autograph signing, maybe even HS recruiting where coaches could meet with potential recruits. This would all help to draw the crowds necessary to make it pay for itself.

What you all think?

It's happened once in my recollection at Iowa.

My hometown team (Grand Valley State) had a recently re-instated club program and they had an exhibition dual at Carver where GV wrestled Iowa's backups before the Big Ten meet. I can't remember all the details at this point.

I remember being in awe that Iowa's backup, Ned Shuck beat a guy who had very, very easily massacred me 2 years prior.

Side note, GV has a new president, and she is the mother of Edinboro AA Vic Avery . . .

How about the 'JV' tourney is open to all college wrestlers (anyone who didn't already qualify for nationals) and takes place between conference championships and the tournament. Winners at each weight get into D1 Nationals?

Probably still only score 1 from each school at nationals; as much as I would like to see 2 entries allowed, it would be unfair as Iowa and PSU would probably lap the field then.

How about the 'JV' tourney is open to all college wrestlers (anyone who didn't already qualify for nationals) and takes place between conference championships and the tournament. Winners at each weight get into D1 Nationals?

Probably still only score 1 from each school at nationals; as much as I would like to see 2 entries allowed, it would be unfair as Iowa and PSU would probably lap the field then.
What I was thinking then read your post. Wrestle your way in. If a school has 2 in a bracket, only designated point scorer scores.

Just throwing this out there, but the National Collegiate Open exists to fulfill the role that a lot of y’all are referring to in terms of a big post-season tourney for non-starters. Don’t know that Iowa has ever sent guys though? Seems to always be out east, so most guys entered end up being from east coast schools.

With some small tweaks and better marketing, it could be as big as what some of you are picturing. Still, it’s not bad. Here’s a list of last year’s champs:

125 Jakob Camacho (NC State)
133 Tucker Sjomeling (Nebraska)
141 Real Woods (Standford)
149 Brayton Lee (Minnesota)
157 Jacobi Teemer (Arizona State)
165 Shane Griffith (Stanford)
174 Quentin Perez (Campbell)
184 Trent Hidlay (NC State)
197 Garret Joles (Minnesota)
285 Zach Schrader (Cal Baptist)

Enough talk. Bring on the predictions.

125: Cashman vs Schnupp
133: Teasdale vs Lindenmuth
141: Happel vs Giannangelli
149: Glosser vs Gardner
157: Kelly vs Pipher
165: Moody vs Lee
174: Brands vs Starocci
184: Wilcke vs Hoopes
197: Corbin vs Beard
HWT: Costello vs Kirkvliet

Having some JV/exhibition matches before a dual would be alright by me. However there are some issues that would need to be taken care of first:

1) Would the NCAA count a JV match as an official/attached match, thus counting as an official year of competition?

2) Are there travel roster limits set by the NCAA or various conferences?

3) Extra travel costs for the school in a sport that is already financially strapped for most schools.

At first thought it was odd now think why not. Why not have dudes with shirt on get exhibition matches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT