ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky is talking about CJ again

Completely disagree with this. I’m in my 40s so I don’t fit the demographic, however I hire and manage many young kids in lower 20s. Many are fabulous workers and really seem to have their eyes open. They don’t own the business world or the company that hired them loyalty as companies continually setup systems to under pay their workers. They have recognized this and are more entrepreneurial and investment savvy than many generations in the past.
I'm the same. The last team I worked on I was like 32 and I was basically the oldest person. Now I'm 40, I'm working with people older than me, and everybody just seems content to collect a paycheck and they don't want anything to change, complain about everything, and don't want to do one thing outside of their job description.

Give me the young people to work with all of the time.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
CJF leaving is a bad thing so don't think this post is celebrating his departure.

Having said that, I think this season will now be make or break for the next 4+ years of Iowa basketball success. With CJF departure, that opens up more minutes to the younger guys. That could be a great thing in that it gives them experience right away that they wouldn't have had otherwise. It could result in a Big Ten tested, mature beyond their years, squad a couple years from now that wins a lot of games.

Conversely, I don't expect them to win a lot of games this season so it could be very damaging to the players' mindsets and it could also cause a ripple effect of players leaving the program for somewhere with more success.

I expected next season to be a rebuilding year even with CJF so this just makes it an even bigger uphill battle.

If Weezy does not return rank our 3 point shooters next season...in order
Peyton
Keegan
Kris?
Ulis
Perkins
Patrick
JoeT
Connor
Mullvey
OG.

Lots of bad shooting form among this group. They better live in the gym this summer shooting threes.

Reactions: HawkAttackDial911
I'm the same. The last team I worked on I was like 32 and I was basically the oldest person. Now I'm 40, I'm working with people older than me, and everybody just seems content to collect a paycheck and they don't want anything to change, complain about everything, and don't want to do one thing outside of their job description.

Give me the young people to work with all of the time.
Complete opposite of where I work. When our largest Customers have important deadlines, the guys putting in the effort of longer days and weekends are all in their 50's and 60's, and the large majority of the "kids" are nowhere to be found (unless I have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with them, some of you may know that phrase, some may not). It's a great job too, but one thing about great jobs, they don't last long if you don't satisfy your Customers and retain them. "Old" people know this, the youngsters will likely and potentially have to learn the hard way I guess.

Customer Service is a real thing regardless of your occupation, and that only comes with effort. Period.

I've seen 2 or 4 threads on the UK board about CJF coming to KY. Mostly people just daydreaming about what the team could look like next year. I don't know if he's transferring or staying in Iowa. I've learned not to put too much stock into message board rumors. I'll figure out the team sometime in Nov. when they play a game.

The only reason in my mind for him to transfer is to be closer to home.

You really hate to speculate, when so much is unknown.

Part of me wonders if there might be kind of a "generational" thing going on. All of the "old guys" are moving on. Garza is graduating and hoping to play pro. Nunge (who came in with Garza), is transferring. Wieskamp is trying to go pro. Now Fredrick (who came in with Wieskamp) has apparently decided to transfer. Bohannon, who is at least a year older than all these guys, is likely leaving (although that hasn't been finalized.)

For Fredrick, it might feel like all of his friends are leaving, and there is no longer a place for him on the team, at least socially.

This does leave Connor as the last remaining "old guy" on the team (came in with Garza and Nunge). I would imagine that Connor's connection to the coach is strong enough for him to stay. (Or he could end up opting to focus on baseball, as I, and others, have mused about.)

Reactions: iahawks10
I've seen 2 or 4 threads on the UK board about CJF coming to KY. Mostly people just daydreaming about what the team could look like next year. I don't know if he's transferring or staying in Iowa. I've learned not to put too much stock into message board rumors. I'll figure out the team sometime in Nov. when they play a game.

The only reason in my mind for him to transfer is to be closer to home.

When healthy, he's a solid player and excellent shooter. He could easily play an important role on Kentucky's team.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Complete opposite of where I work. When our largest Customers have important deadlines, the guys putting in the effort of longer days and weekends are all in their 50's and 60's, and the large majority of the "kids" are nowhere to be found (unless I have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with them, some of you may know that phrase, some may not). It's a great job too, but one thing about great jobs, they don't last long if you don't satisfy your Customers and retain them. "Old" people know this, the youngsters will likely and potentially have to learn the hard way I guess.

Customer Service is a real thing regardless of your occupation, and that only comes with effort. Period.

We probably work in different industries or something. But I'm very hopeful and confident for my company based on the young people I've been around. We're in good hands and I'm grateful for them because in my experience they make it not only a more fun place to work, but a more innovative, optimistic, and vibrant place to work. I also work for a big company and there are a lot of different types of jobs and people are encouraged to move around to different jobs because there are good people waiting to fill those roles left behind who might leave the company if we don't give them the opportunity to move upward and onward.

Reactions: kkhawk
When healthy, he's a solid player and excellent shooter. He could easily play an important role on Kentucky's team.

i see him being just like Moss was for KU his lone year there. Bench player comes in and shoot 3s primarily. A lesser role than he would’ve had here. Maybe the grass will be greener on the other side but then again maybe it won’t be.

Cook? Sure.

Frederick was expected to (and did) take Moss' minutes. While I would have liked him back, his departure didn't hurt us that badly.

Dailey was a defender, and that's about it.

But now we're losing

Garza
Nunge
Bohannon
Fredrick
And likely Wieskamp

While I don't think it's the beginning of some dark age like some, I do think next year is gonna be rough, especially offensively.
I don't know, we still have some really good talent. Loved what I had seen from Perkins, Pat, and the Murray's to join Joe T in the lineup. Joe is likely gone, but if he comes back, we will still be saltier than many expect.

Worlds are colliding :)
3673118.jpg

That seems to be the consensus on the UK board. I would guess that he would get more playing time if he stayed at Iowa though. That's not a rub on Iowa, but a realization that Calipari likes to give major minutes to his 5* freshmen recruits and that our good shooters are left sitting on the bench.

I know. I wanted Fran fired after the '17-'18 season. I was told I was a bad fan and that we couldn't afford to lose PMac and Connor's post feeds.

I guess you're only a good fan if you have dumb, blind loyalty to the McCafferys. Yes, I know. But Lickliter.
If you have to wait 4 years to have a mild point, probably not worth bringing up. Listen, the fact our fans are seriously too dumb to understand we had to give our coach a contract extension that matches EVERY OTHER COACH AROUND, isn't Fran's problem. What does he sell a recruit when he has 2 years left on his contract? On top of that, what was Barta supposed to do at the time? Fran had just led us to two seasons of the NCAA tourney, with a cancelled season in between, that would have made it 3. I realize, like everyone else, that we aren't making Final Fours, but you don't fire/or not extend a coach for making the NCAA tourney like this. What would the next possible coach think.

That seems to be the consensus on the UK board. I would guess that he would get more playing time if he stayed at Iowa though. That's not a rub on Iowa, but a realization that Calipari likes to give major minutes to his 5* freshmen recruits and that our good shooters are left sitting on the bench.

It's just reality. Iowa is not littered with four and five-star talent.

When healthy, CJ is more than a spot-up shooter. There are a lot of similarities in his game and Tyler Herro's. CJ is obviously not as good, but he's more talented than people give him credit for.

Personally, I think CJ would flourish at Kentucky.

Is he going to Kentucky a sure thing? Maybe hes going closer to home....Join Nunge at Xavier? They offered him coming out of high school. Or maybe close to home at Louisville? It might be him just not being happy at Iowa and wanting out.
It’s perfectly fine to leave if he’s not happy. What isn’t fine is lying to your teammates and coach about it and waiting so long to tell them the truth. I agree with the poster that mentioned he was waiting for a spot to open up somewhere else.

If you have to wait 4 years to have a mild point, probably not worth bringing up. Listen, the fact our fans are seriously too dumb to understand we had to give our coach a contract extension that matches EVERY OTHER COACH AROUND, isn't Fran's problem. What does he sell a recruit when he has 2 years left on his contract? On top of that, what was Barta supposed to do at the time? Fran had just led us to two seasons of the NCAA tourney, with a cancelled season in between, that would have made it 3. I realize, like everyone else, that we aren't making Final Fours, but you don't fire/or not extend a coach for making the NCAA tourney like this. What would the next possible coach think.

Of course you can't fire a coach after an NCAA appearance. Not relevant or germane to my "mild point."

Of course you can't fire a coach after an NCAA appearance. Not relevant or germane to my "mild point."
It is 100% relevant. You were trying to make a 4 year old point to someone complaining about the contract extension. If your too message board drunk from all your posts, maybe take a break. You are so damn flip floppy, same guy spreading doom and gloom about how terrible we were after the Indiana losses. Get a grip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT