ADVERTISEMENT

Kerkvliet Reopens Recruiting

I am choosing Stanford because my parents made less than $125K when I was choosing and school would have been free. Harvard would have been a little more but not much.
Now back to Iowa wrestling.....

I understand paying more at PSU if you are THE guy at the weight. I don't understand paying more, and maybe wrestling for a year or two instead of being a 4 year starter with similar coaching and more scholarship money. I don't blame Mark Hall, Zain etc. but Teske doesn't make any sense.

Its Ivy v Ivy, one had better results for the last decade and is 25% more expensive. The best "graduates" from each school are all on a pretty level playing field.
How do you know if you are going to be the guy until you get there and give it a go?
Teske? Why does it make no sense for Teske? He is a 4 time state champ in Iowa, only loss is to a fellow 4 time Iowa state champ. You believe a kid with Teske's high school successes does not envision himself as an NCAA champion. Just my guess but he will be Penn State's 125 pounder this season and next, and be very successful.

Ivy vs Ivy? Maybe. If so there is still at least a perceived difference between Harvard, Yale or Princeton and the others.

Frankly----I dont know if there's anyone on this forum that sounds more incompetent
than nitlion6. HONESTLY, U R A DUMBASS!!!!
I doubt you can muster the necessary explanation, but what about my posts in this thread are dumb assed?

Do you believe parents are not willing to spend more to send little Johnny or little Jenny to the school(s) of their choice?

Or are you saying that despite wrestlers from all of the elite wrestling programs working summer wrestling camps (clinics) all over the country and kids from different schools working the same camps (clinics), Penn State some how has figured out a way to manipulate the system to the financial advantage of PSU kids. Not only that, but despite overlap it is a secret advantage only available to Penn State kids?

Which particular point is dumbassed? You feel for free to take your time. Someone with the necessary articulate skills will probably step in and speak up for you.

I doubt you can muster the necessary explanation, but what about my posts in this thread are dumb assed?

Do you believe parents are not willing to spend more to send little Johnny or little Jenny to the school(s) of their choice?

Or are you saying that despite wrestlers from all of the elite wrestling programs working summer wrestling camps (clinics) all over the country and kids from different schools working the same camps (clinics), Penn State some how has figured out a way to manipulate the system to the financial advantage of PSU kids. Not only that, but despite overlap it is a secret advantage only available to Penn State kids? feel for free to take your time. Someone with the necessary articulate skills will probably step in and speak up for you.

I don't have to explain myself DUMMY!! It's rather apparent that you don't quite get it. And I'm not about to waste my valuable time trying to explain it to a knothead like yourself, DUMBASS.

Hey Chief----tell this moron that you can't entice or lure college prospects with financial promises upon their graduation!!!

Reactions: IAChief32
I don't have to explain myself DUMMY!! It's rather apparent that you don't quite get it. And I'm not about to waste my valuable time trying to explain it to a knothead like yourself, DUMBASS.

Hey Chief----tell this moron that you can't entice or lure college prospects with financial promises upon their graduation!!!
Oh my God. You really do lack the intellectual skills to have a conversation
I am really sorry man. No offense. I thought you were just doing that message board thing. You know the one, can not argue a point so just get nasty.

I failed to realize the truly low skill set you are burdened with, and I again apologize.

Reactions: danoftw
I’m taken back by the amount insecurity and thin skin of the fans of the most dominant wrestling program in the NCAA going on nearly a decade...

Jesse Whitmer - "The Strongest Man in the World". He is in law enforcement and helps coach a kids wrestling club. I run into him 3 or 4 times a year.
Thanks. I could not remember the name and I am not a big googler. If that is not a word, it should be.

Oh my God. You really do lack the intellectual skills to have a conversation
I am really sorry man. No offense. I thought you were just doing that message board thing. You know the one, can not argue a point so just get nasty.

I failed to realize the truly low skill set you are burdened with, and I again apologize.

Time to take a step back from the table bubba. We got your POV the first 13 times you posted it. Go get a snack and watch some DT matches or something.

Time to revisit a Flying Tiger post from a few months back, showing hypothetically, how PSU could get so many top tier recruits and not have to offer full rides to anyone:

<<
Here you go AGAIN dagboi, rossel and others who keep asking how they do it:
The simple answer is 9.9 scholarships can actually go a long way if you manage it properly. For instance, it can be divided between 15 wrestlers which gets them roughly 75% each or between 20 wrestlers at 50%.

See below for how I was able to cover every PSU starter and top recruit for just 9.5 scholarships.

Carson Kuhn (50%)
Corey Keener (50%)
Nick Lee (75%)
Zain Retherford (75%)
Jason Nolf (75%)
Cenzo Joseph (75%)
Mark Hall (75%)
Bo Nickal (75%)
Corey Rasheed (50%)
Nick Nevills (75%) Actually gets 60%

Anthony Cassar (50%)
Brady Berge(75%)
Jared Cortez (50%) Currently a Walk-On
Jarod Verkleeren (50%) Currently a Walk-On
Mason Manville (50%) Currently a Walk-On, ROTC>>

So, with graduations, you still have 6 returning guys getting 75% rides, N Nevills at 60%, and 5 guys at 50%, for a total of 7.6 schollies used.

Now, we're to assume 0% goes to the rest of the team, and no one at PSU gets more than a 75% scholly right?

That leaves just 2.3 schollies left, split among 7 incoming recruits Teske, RBY, Teasdale, J Lee, Brooks, Beard, and S Nevills. That ain't much help, averaging just under 33% schollies, if split equally.

Can you update your hypothetical FT? How does that work out for the 7 top tier recruits of the 2018 class? None gets a full ride, and they settle for 33% each?

Time to take a step back from the table bubba. We got your POV the first 13 times you posted it. Go get a snack and watch some DT matches or something.
The first 13 times:)
Just having a conversation with the Spartan.

The post you are referencing wasn't part of any conversation. Just an appropriate response to a goof.

Anyhow.

Here's hoping all is well with health.

Later

Reactions: IAChief32
Time to revisit a Flying Tiger post from a few months back, showing hypothetically, how PSU could get so many top tier recruits and not have to offer full rides to anyone:

<<
The simple answer is 9.9 scholarships can actually go a long way if you manage it properly. For instance, it can be divided between 15 wrestlers which gets them roughly 75% each or between 20 wrestlers at 50%.

See below for how I was able to cover every PSU starter and top recruit for just 9.5 scholarships.

Carson Kuhn (50%)
Corey Keener (50%)
Nick Lee (75%)
Zain Retherford (75%)
Jason Nolf (75%)
Cenzo Joseph (75%)
Mark Hall (75%)
Bo Nickal (75%)
Corey Rasheed (50%)

Anthony Cassar (50%)
Brady Berge(75%)

So, with graduations, you still have 6 returning guys getting 75% rides, N Nevills at 60%, and 5 guys at 50%, for a total of 7.6 schollies used.

Now, we're to assume 0% goes to the rest of the team, and no one at PSU gets more than a 75% scholly right?

That leaves just 2.3 schollies left, split among 7 incoming recruits Teske, RBY, Teasdale, J Lee, Brooks, Beard, and S Nevills. That ain't much help, averaging just under 33% schollies, if split equally.

Can you update your hypothetical FT? How does that work out for the 7 top tier recruits of the 2018 class? None gets a full ride, and they settle for 33% each?

Just a quick observation on your post...

I’ll just throw in that Brooks and Beard won’t be on the books next year...according to your numbers that’d leave 2.3 schollies for 5 guys or roughly 45% for each...

I’ll just throw in that Brooks and Beard won’t be on the books next year...according to your numbers that’d leave 2.3 schollies for 5 guys or roughly 45% for each...

And I have heard speculation that freshmen get 0. I can't confirm the veracity of that, but it would make the math work.

Many of which will be paying out of state tuition and could be getting full rides at nearly any school they choose.

<<

Carson Kuhn (50%)
Corey Keener (50%)
Nick Lee (75%)
Zain Retherford (75%)
Jason Nolf (75%)
Cenzo Joseph (75%)
Mark Hall (75%)
Bo Nickal (75%)
Corey Rasheed (50%)

Anthony Cassar (50%)
Brady Berge(75%)

First lets get the facts straight, a common theme with your posts. As noted above Beard and Brooks are grey shirting at OTC, so that's 5, not 7 incoming recruits.

Secondly, Manville (ROTC) and Verk (confirmed walk-on) don't actually use the 50% I allotted them and Cortez is no longer on the team.

Finally, you left out the fact I only used 9.5 in that example so adding another .4 means 3.75 scholarships divided by 5 wrestlers = 75% per guy, imagine that.

Here's the break down per wrestler so it will be easy for you to add and difficult for you to distort:

*Teske: 80%
Teasdale: 75%
Bravo-Young: 75%
Lee: 75%
Berge: 75%
Nolf: 75%
Joseph: 75%
Hall: 75%
Rasheed: 50%
Nickal: 75%
Nevills: 60%
Cassar: 50%
Nevills: 75%

*Note I still had an extra 05% to get to 9.9 so I gave it to Teske since he's from Iowa.

Last edited:
First lets get the facts straight, a common theme with your posts. As noted above Beard and Brooks are grey shirting at OTC, so that's 5, not 7 incoming recruits.

Secondly, Manville (ROTC) and Verk (confirmed walk-on) don't actually use the 50% I allotted them and Cortez is no longer on the team.

Finally, you left out the fact I only used 9.5 in that example so adding another .4 means 3.75 scholarships divided by 5 wrestlers = 75% per guy, imagine that.

Here's the break down per wrestler so it will be easy for you to add and difficult for you to distort:

*Note I still had an extra 05% to get to 9.9 so I gave it to Teske since he's from Iowa.
You scenario is absolutely laughable. If you believe anything close to this breakdown then you are dumber than I thought

Reactions: Sandor45

That's amazing. A 2x Jr World FS gold medalist and top 10 p4p guys up and down the lineup, and not one gets more than 75%. Throw in a couple of AA's getting 50-60%....impressive!

Is it just a lot of rich families, or is it Cael's charm that makes this all acceptable to everyone?

This is ridiculous.

That's amazing. A 2x Jr World FS gold medalist and top 10 p4p guys up and down the lineup, and not one gets more than 75%. Throw in a couple of AA's getting 50-60%....impressive!

Is it just a lot of rich families, or is it Cael's charm that makes this all acceptable to everyone?

Says the guy that came up with a number of "just under 33%" How many times do you have to be proven wrong before you finally shut up?

You guys really are clueless if you think the top teams are throwing around full rides to every high ranked recruit. 75%, plus assistance open to the general student population and camps as upperclassmen is a solid compensation package, especially when you consider not one of the incoming five recruits are ranked in the top 10.

You scenario is absolutely laughable. If you believe anything close to this breakdown then you are dumber than I thought

I proved the op wrong, you offered nothing of substance to refute what I said and resorted to name calling but I'm the dumb one, now that's laughable.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine was a freshman Lincoln's senior year. I always remember him saying that he, Lincoln, and everyone else got the exact same amount of scholarship money.

The dollar goes a long way when recruiting wrestlers to a top program. The coach wants the kid and the kid wants the coach also. Otherwise it does not work.
You can darn well bet that very few kids are getting full rides. One thing Cael does is bring in very good students. I am sure they have a way to get them various types of academic aid also.
In a few years, if Iowa continues to move in the positive direction, the price they pay for top end recruits will be less also. Gable got the best wresters at discount prices throughout his coaching career.

I try my best not to stir the pot on this board, but we do have public accounts that Verk was starting with 0%, Nevills was at 60% out of state, Manville was at 0%. Lee brothers may very well qualify for in state rates. Add in John Brooks’ comments that (paraphrasing) said that he knows of a non trivial number of families that are willing to pick up at least a share of the ticket (and his family is OOS to PSU) for what they feel is the right fit, be it PSU or elsewhere. For a big name guy to pay 25% in state, it’s not a massive burden relative to getting 100% farther from home, and the families get a better chance to see junior compete. It’s not that far fetched of a scenario that FT has laid out. He doesn’t need each wrestle’s assumption 100% correct, just correct on average.

If you go out and sample guys that didn’t pick PSU but PSU was really interested in, yes you’ll probably find that they accepted more, on average, than PSU offered. But there’s a selection bias in doing so, and how many of those are telling their stories publicly? It’s like the auto insurance commercials that tell you that on average people that switched saved money. Duh. But the $400 or whatever they cite tells you there’s a significant loyalty bias, or that figure would be close to $0. Sub in a PSU brand preference in the present example, and you see what Iowa is trying to shrink the gap on, and it looks to be working.

Last edited:
How do you know if you are going to be the guy until you get there and give it a go?
Teske? Why does it make no sense for Teske? He is a 4 time state champ in Iowa, only loss is to a fellow 4 time Iowa state champ. You believe a kid with Teske's high school successes does not envision himself as an NCAA champion. Just my guess but he will be Penn State's 125 pounder this season and next, and be very successful.

Ivy vs Ivy? Maybe. If so there is still at least a perceived difference between Harvard, Yale or Princeton and the others.

I think most would agree, incoming. But what about years 2-5?

Some people regularly bitch about fans from other schools coming on to the HR site. I like to read about wrestling in general and I enjoy their input. The constant incest of Hawkeye Only would get old quick. Hit Ignore and let the rest of us read what we want.

And I disagree with those who oppose improving your team's chances of success with scholarships to the best wrestlers...and call it "recruiting over your own guys." A coach's responsibility to his team, his school, and its fans is to make that team the best it can be within the rules. My opinion, but strongly held.

Interesting Alan Freid interview from 2006. This is his take on why he didn’t wrestle for Iowa.

Because of my history of beating the Brands brothers and Troy Steiner in high school, Gable almost couldn't recruit me because it would have looked disloyal to the Brands and Steiners. I almost wish I hadn't wrestled the Brands brothers in high school. If I wouldn't have wrestled them and could have gotten off the radar, perhaps Gable could have recruited me and I could have gone to Iowa.

Jesse Whitmer - "The Strongest Man in the World". He is in law enforcement and helps coach a kids wrestling club. I run into him 3 or 4 times a year.
So you're saying you have a run in with law enforcement 3 or 4 times a year. I'm a little disappointed. I see you as a combination of Uncle Sam and Santa Clause. Strengthening the American fabric by gifting our youth with the wrestling spirit. Maybe your run ins with law enforcement are for having too many flags in your yard or having those Christmas lights that can be seen from space. ;)

Says the guy that came up with a number of "just under 33%" How many times do you have to be proven wrong before you finally shut up?

You guys really are clueless if you think the top teams are throwing around full rides to every high ranked recruit.

Easy kitty.

Who on this board ever posted that top teams are "throwing around full rides to every high ranked recruit?" You simply made that up.

And your hypotheticals are now considered proof? LOL!

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Some people regularly bitch about fans from other schools coming on to the HR site. I like to read about wrestling in general and I enjoy their input. The constant incest of Hawkeye Only would get old quick. Hit Ignore and let the rest of us read what we want.

And I disagree with those who oppose improving your team's chances of success with scholarships to the best wrestlers...and call it "recruiting over your own guys." A coach's responsibility to his team, his school, and its fans is to make that team the best it can be within the rules. My opinion, but strongly held.

Aren't the wrestlers "his team"? Seems like "responsibility" to "his team" and "its fans" are not often in line.

Easy kitty.

Who on this board ever posted that top teams are "throwing around full rides to every high ranked recruit?" You simply made that up.

And your hypotheticals are now considered proof? LOL!

You called FT out and he took the time to reply yet you can't seem to reply with a cogent response. Hypothetically speaking of course.

So you're saying you have a run in with law enforcement 3 or 4 times a year. I'm a little disappointed. I see you as a combination of Uncle Sam and Santa Clause. Strengthening the American fabric by gifting our youth with the wrestling spirit. Maybe your run ins with law enforcement are for having too many flags in your yard or having those Christmas lights that can be seen from space. ;)

My secret life is now out.

To be more clear:

The average out of state cost for a PSU student over 5 years is $251,200(50,240 per year).

The average PA resident cost for a PSU student over 5 years is $178,790(35,758 per year).

What percentage of that money do you think "someone with money" would just happily pay when they wouldn't have to somewhere else???

That doesn't even account for staying there year 'round......

What gets lost in your calculation is in addition to the cost of tuition and room and board, what other costs do the athlete's family incur to watch their kids?

Bo Nickal's dad attends many of Bo's events. Mark Hall's dad was renting a place in staying in State College when Mark first attended Penn State. He was taking Mark to many of the open events.

When you look at Penn State's roster versus Iowa, Penn State has a lot more instate kids attending than Iowa. I scanned last year's rosters and there were 20 kids on Penn State's roster from PA, meanwhile Iowa had 15 from Iowa. If you look closer, you'd find that many of Penn State's other kids are from neighboring states, which means mom and dad incur fewer cost to watch them attend (at least the home meets), then if they lived several states away. Many of the close proximity second tier kids are willing to take little or no money from Penn State, and allows the school to throw additional money at more elite kids.

Tuition and room & board are very important, but it's only a part of the equation.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
And I have heard speculation that freshmen get 0. I can't confirm the veracity of that, but it would make the math work.

I could be wrong but I thought the rules recently changed and you can only lower someone’s scholly and not ever raise it. If so any frosh getting zero will always be getting zero. Anyone know if this is correct?

I could be wrong but I thought the rules recently changed and you can only lower someone’s scholly and not ever raise it. If so any frosh getting zero will always be getting zero. Anyone know if this is correct?

So a walk on could never earn a scholly? There is a 0% chance that is true. I can see not being able to lower one, pretty sure you have it backwards.

Reactions: 24 so far
100% incorrect

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT