ADVERTISEMENT

KF Press Conference at 12:30 PM today

Apr 8, 2003
...to wrap up the 2018 season, etc.

Reminder
: Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz will be available to the media on today at 12:30 p.m. (CT).

The press conference to wrap up the 2018 season will be held in the All-America Room of the Stew and LeNore Hansen Football Performance Center.

Reactions: Harbinger273
2018 Starters Game By Game:

5c40aeda55893-starters%202.jpg

Career Starts:

5c40af2f74e09-2018%20Career%20Starts.jpg

Iowa Defense: Career starts by players returning in 2019 https://rvls.co/2APhc4H

DL:
Lattimore 6

LB:
Djimon Colbert 10
Kristian Welch 6
Nick Niemann 5
Amani Jones 1

DB:
Michael Ojemudia 10
Matt Hankins 10
Geno Stone 8
Riley Moss 6
Julius Brents 5

Iowa Defense: Career starts by players returning in 2019 https://rvls.co/2APhc4H

DL:
Lattimore 6

LB:
Djimon Colbert 10
Kristian Welch 6
Nick Niemann 5
Amani Jones 1

DB:
Michael Ojemudia 10
Matt Hankins 10
Geno Stone 8
Riley Moss 6
Julius Brents 5

factor in snaps and we are pretty experienced - someone like AJE had plenty of game exp. but no starts as an example.

Iowa Defensive Snaps (865 total)

1. Hooker 833
2. Gervase 827
3. Hockaday 627
4. A. Nelson 610
5. Colbert 596
6. Hesse 588
7. Stone 579
8. Ojemudia 562
9. Hankins 496
10. M. Nelson 468
11. Brincks 449
12t. Epenesa 412
12t. Golston 412
14. Niemann 376
15. Brents 363
16. Moss 333
17t. Welch 268
17t. Lattimore 268
19. Reiff 215

That's everyone over 100 defensive snaps for the season.

Reactions: hawkhorn
4. A. Nelson 610
6. Hesse 588
10. M. Nelson 468
11. Brincks 449
12t. Epenesa 412

12t. Golston 412
17t. Lattimore 268
19. Reiff 215

Sam Brincks played more snaps than the 1st team All-B1G sack/forced fumble leader and yall wonder why I'm salty. AJE would have been an AA this year if the union card wasn't being played.

Last edited:
Although we lose a lot snaps, we can field a starting defense filled with guys who played at least 200 snaps. We have 4 DL, 3 LBs, and 5 defensive backs who all have experience. Build from there. Reiff and Lattimore are on track though to see nearly four times the amount of snaps this season.

Hopefully we can develop Waggoner, Shannon, another LB, and maybe D.J. Johnson and Merriweather into defensive rotational game shape and then we should have enough to play next year. Like the idea of playing 5 DBs as the base package since we have both experience, depth, and natural talent at that position. Welch, Nieman, and Colbert can then man the 2 LB positions. OJ is a little underwhelming as a true cover corner, but he's great in run support and seems like a natural star/cash player.

Reactions: hawkhorn
4. A. Nelson 610
6. Hesse 588
10. M. Nelson 468
11. Brincks 449
12t. Epenesa 412

12t. Golston 412
17t. Lattimore 268
19. Reiff 215

Sam Brincks played more snaps than the 1st team All-B1G sack/forced fumble leader and yall wonder why I'm salty. AJE would have been an AA this year if the union card wasn't being played.

Probably because Brincks plays tackle and AJ is an edge rusher so their snaps aren't entirely dependent upon one another.

Probably because Brincks played tackle and AJ is an edge rusher so their snaps aren't entirely dependent upon one another.

I get that, but it's a lame excuse. Both DEs had the ability to play DT. Hesse > Brincks at DT, even on run downs.

4. A. Nelson 610
6. Hesse 588
10. M. Nelson 468
11. Brincks 449
12t. Epenesa 412

12t. Golston 412
17t. Lattimore 268
19. Reiff 215

Yeah because Coach Morgan and the staff are a bunch of dicks....... jeebus shut up. Or better yet argue with this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
When someone plays 200 less snaps and outproduces the #9 ranked DE who declared for the draft as a Junior, he probably shouldn't be losing snaps to a pedestrian walkon who wouldn't have played at any other P5 school.
It was a masterful rotation of the DL in 2018 for the 11th ranked scoring defense in FBS. My concern for 2019 is guys get worn out going into the fourth quarter

Reactions: mlee3553
I lol'd at KF's disappointment at not being rated by the coaches - Who cares? Did he miss out on another bonus? If you're 18th or 25th or 30th - there is really no difference. A bunch of average teams after the top 10...…….

It was a masterful rotation of the DL in 2018 for the 11th ranked scoring defense in FBS. My concern for 2019 is guys get worn out going into the fourth quarter

Another reason why Iowa really needs to get their running game figured out. It hasn't been good for the last 2-3 years and I am not sure why. I can hazard a guess that the team simply hasn't had good production from all OL spots in the same season, but I'm not sure. A lot of posters think we just didn't have good enough RBs this year, so maybe that's it. At any rate, we need to have a great running game to take time off the clock and let that DL rest.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Can we have some make sure Reiff knows the difference between a cop car and an uber this offseason

Reactions: sob5
Exactly this right here. I'd be willing to bet that next season, we wish we had the luxury of rotating AJ and Gholston in to get after the passer. :oops:

Reactions: SLarew and owenhawk

It was good, but masterful is a stretch. Flip Hesse and Epenesa's snap count this year and it would have been perfect. Will you still consider it masterful when AJE gets picked in the top 5 next year? If so, just admit you're fine with Iowa native 2 stars and walkons with a union card playing over flatout blue chips and accept that we'll only be a slightly above-average program for the foreseeable future. I don't know about you guys, but I want to break through that wall.

So some quick math shows that departing players accounted for 47%
Of defensive snaps. Not sure if that is higher than an average year. I agree depth on the line is going to be a huge concern next year. I hope they can land a juco transfer.

It was good, but masterful is a stretch. Flip Hesse and Epenesa's snap count this year and it would have been perfect. Will you still consider it masterful when AJE gets picked in the top 5 next year? If so, just admit you're fine with Iowa native 2 stars and walkons with a union card playing over flatout blue chips and accept that we'll only be a slightly above-average program for the foreseeable future. I don't know about you guys, but I want to break through that wall.
Good enough to lead the B1G in sacks.

Only 5 Iowa kids on the 2019 commitment list.

I'll be thrilled if AJ is AA next year and of course I would expect him to be a top 10 pick.

Can we have some make sure Reiff knows the difference between a cop car and an uber this offseason

Remember..as has been reported...the small town he comes from...you can ask the cops for a ride home if intoxicated and you don’t want to drive. That is what happened here...he asked for a ride home as he entered the cop car. Give the kid a break for at least trying to do the right thing after he became intoxicated...many wouldn’t.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Remember..as has been reported...the small town he comes from...you can ask the cops for a ride home if intoxicated and you don’t want to drive. That is what happened here...he asked for a ride home as he entered the cop car. Give the kid a break for at least trying to do the right thing after he became intoxicated...many wouldn’t.

I was thinking they were having them wear activity trackers and sleep monitors. Must have been a period where they didn't have to. I am sure they weren't happy about the late night drinky but at same time have to give him a tiny bit of credit for asking and not driving, even though asked the wrong people. He thought he was Otis in Mayberry. Aunt Bea wasn't bringin breakfast the next morning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT