ADVERTISEMENT

KF Press Conference at 12:30 PM today

When someone plays 200 less snaps and outproduces the #9 ranked DE who declared for the draft as a Junior, he probably shouldn't be losing snaps to a pedestrian walkon who wouldn't have played at any other P5 school.

Grow up. Wouldn’t play on any other P5 team? This was one of Iowa’s best defenses of the Ferentz era and you think Ferentz/Morgan don’t know what they are doing and intentionally suppressing AJE?

Grow up. Wouldn’t play on any other P5 team? This was one of Iowa’s best defenses of the Ferentz era and you think Ferentz/Morgan don’t know what they are doing and intentionally suppressing AJE?

What was Brincks' offer list? How many sacks did he have this year? AJ had 6.5 less SACKS than Brincks had solo + assisted TACKLES. He didn't produce at all this year on the defensive side of the ball. 17 tackles on 449 snaps, nothing else. Lattimore outproduced him in 181 less snaps (21 tackles, 1 sack).

You tavern hoks think these coaches are infallible and rule out any possibility that they may possess biases toward certain types of players that may hinder the quality of the product on the field.

When you have a player who leads the conference in sacks and FF while only playing 47% of the defensive snaps, it doesn't take a PhD to deduce that he is being underutilized. AJ had 3 less sacks and tied in FF in ONE YEAR as a PT player than the numbers that Parker Hesse put up as a FOUR YEAR STARTER.

Mic dropped.

Last edited:
The DL still has quality players and guys like Waggoner have to get their feet wet at some point anyway. Not worried.

What was Brincks' offer list? How many sacks did he have this year? AJ had 6.5 less SACKS than Brincks had solo + assisted TACKLES. He didn't produce at all this year on the defensive side of the ball. 17 tackles on 449 snaps, nothing else. Lattimore outproduced him in 181 less snaps (21 tackles, 1 sack).

You tavern hoks think these coaches are infallible and rule out any possibility that they may possess biases toward certain types of players that may hinder the quality of the product on the field.

When you have a player who leads the conference in sacks and FF while only playing 47% of the defensive snaps, it doesn't take a PhD to deduce that he is being underutilized. AJ had 3 less sacks and tied in FF in ONE YEAR as a PT player than the numbers that Parker Hesse put up as a FOUR YEAR STARTER.

Mic dropped.

Does dropping the mic equate to shutting off your keyboard? If so that may be the best thing you have typed to date.

Does dropping the mic equate to shutting off your keyboard? If so that may be the best thing you have typed to date.

Good one, buddy. Will you be here all week? Got a response to those cold, hard facts or do you not have a leg to stand on?

Here's some more: Brady Reiff had 5 less tackles and 1 more sack than Brincks and he played 234 less snaps in only 6 games.

If we're going to put someone out there just to take up space and not produce at DT, at least let it be a big body instead of a walkon converted DE who came into this program at 235 lbs.

Last edited:

Mic dropped.

Oh my god you might want to pick that mic back up and learn about football.

I get it, you are a stats guy. You like stats and that is how you judge everything. Sometimes stats can mean something but sometimes they can not and people that played sports or have been around them, understand that.

Of course the coaches are not infallible but if you really believe that Ferentz/Morgan are biased to the point of hurting the team, then you are as misguided and delusional as the "tavern hoks" you claim us other fans to be.

You do understand that the DT's role for Iowa is not to produce stats? It is to fill gaps, play solid assignment football, and take up space and blockers for the LB's and other to make plays. I'm not a Defensive Line guru - and I know you are not either - but I know who does know what he is doing and that is Coach Morgan. And he must have been pretty happy with Brinks performance this year, otherwise I am sure he would have been giving his snaps to some of the other players on the line.

And AJE (and his dad) doesn't seem too disappointed or mad about the decisions that Ferentz and Morgan have made. That doesn't mean I think the coaches are perfect and don't sometimes make mistakes but I sure in the hell am not going to take your word for it and assume you have any idea what you are talking about.

Iowa's DL and overall Defense was very well thought of this year and the overall stats show this.

When you have a player who leads the conference in sacks and FF while only playing 47% of the defensive snaps, it doesn't take a PhD to deduce that he is being underutilized..
Well how many times did opp throw vs run against us?
Kinda hard to "sack" the running back ;).
You ever think maybe AJ had an advantage constantly coming in fresh for passing downs?
Do you think being a better pass rusher means you're automatically better vs the run too?

I could keep going, but what is the point?

That said, AJ is a total beast. No doubt about that.

Oh my god you might want to pick that mic back up and learn about football.

I get it, you are a stats guy. You like stats and that is how you judge everything. Sometimes stats can mean something but sometimes they can not and people that played sports or have been around them, understand that.

Of course the coaches are not infallible but if you really believe that Ferentz/Morgan are biased to the point of hurting the team, then you are as misguided and delusional as the "tavern hoks" you claim us other fans to be.

You do understand that the DT's role for Iowa is not to produce stats? It is to fill gaps, play solid assignment football, and take up space and blockers for the LB's and other to make plays. I'm not a Defensive Line guru - and I know you are not either - but I know who does know what he is doing and that is Coach Morgan. And he must have been pretty happy with Brinks performance this year, otherwise I am sure he would have been giving his snaps to some of the other players on the line.

And AJE (and his dad) doesn't seem too disappointed or mad about the decisions that Ferentz and Morgan have made. That doesn't mean I think the coaches are perfect and don't sometimes make mistakes but I sure in the hell am not going to take your word for it and assume you have any idea what you are talking about.

Iowa's DL and overall Defense was very well thought of this year and the overall stats show this.
I don't know. It's hard to trust our D coaches, they rarely field a decent defense!

Reactions: owenhawk
Well how many times did opp throw vs run against us?
Kinda hard to "sack" the running back ;).
You ever think maybe AJ had an advantage constantly coming in fresh for passing downs?
Do you think being a better pass rusher means you're automatically better vs the run too?

I could keep going, but what is the point?

That said, AJ is a total beast. No doubt about that.
You should've dropped the mic' :cool:

As a sometimes critic of the coaching staff, I have to come down mostly on the side of the coaches on balancing time between Hesse and AJE. I was upset in the Purdue game that Eppy wasn't on the field when Blough threw the pass that got called intereference on Brents. That was a passing situation and I believe there was a good probability Blough wouldn't have had the time to make that throw if AJE was in on that play. I also think it is unfair to rip Hesse. He was a solid player. He lacked the explosion that Eppy brings but almost everyone does. I loved the package where Hesse moved inside and AJE got the edge. We will miss Hesse, Brincks, and both Nelson's next year in terms of depth of quality players if nothing else.
And size when recruited isn't the end-all. Mitch King was a 225 pound LB when he got to Ia City and I don't know if Klug even weighed 200 when he got there. I would welcome either of those guys back.

Remember..as has been reported...the small town he comes from...you can ask the cops for a ride home if intoxicated and you don’t want to drive. That is what happened here...he asked for a ride home as he entered the cop car. Give the kid a break for at least trying to do the right thing after he became intoxicated...many wouldn’t.

Lighten up Francis

I really appreciate Parker Hesse and the many Hawks I have loved cheering for over several years who are "program kids". No questions, ifs, and, or buts. They have made the successes we have seen in large part.

AJ Epenesa is a legitimate superstar. I don't care what metric is used. Superstars grow quickly with reps and most often more quickly than program kids. I understand him not playing last year and not being handed a starting position in the Spring. I also understand our defense and coaches are good. I don't see a great problem with how AJ was used this year, but if anyone thinks AJ shouldn't have had "more" reps - based on both production stats and eyeballing his effect on the game - you're not being objective. Coach or observer.

I love the depth we displayed on the d-line this year. If memory serves, the coaches went to Georgia to learn more about rotating kids. I think it's a great concept and think our coaches continue to look for good ways to improve the program. We're not Georgia yet (or Clemson, etc.). If the snaps for AJ increased (and they may have) and decreased for Hesse at the end position during the season, I would feel the coaches did an appropriate job with this. Is that what happened? (Asking not telling.)

It's just tough to see a top 10 pick caliber player start one season and likely be gone. It adds to the "minor league football" lore: individual improvement sans victories, whether that is completely warranted or not.

if anyone thinks AJ shouldn't have had "more" reps - based on both production stats and eyeballing his effect on the game - you're not being objective. Coach or observer.

I can't believe that you and I even have to argue to this point. Thank you for putting what I'm saying in a more digestible format. You're a good writer.

I can't not be bothered by Brincks outsnapping AJE, especially when I made a whole thread in the preseason predicting this would happen. I never even knew if Brincks was on the field. Totally invisible. Matt Nelson was underwhelming as well.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Holy shit dude, how many times do you have to be told that AJ and Brincks played different positions? Why does the fact that Brincks played more snaps ruin your day? Are you also pissed that Gervase played more than AJ? Because that has the same effect.

Look, I wanted AJ to play every snap too. But seriously, stop looking like a complete moron by comparing AJ to Sam.

Do you think that if AJ started we would have gone 12-0?

Holy shit dude, how many times do you have to be told that AJ and Brincks played different positions? Why does the fact that Brincks played more snaps ruin your day? Are you also pissed that Gervase played more than AJ? Because that has the same effect.

Look, I wanted AJ to play every snap too. But seriously, stop looking like a complete moron by comparing AJ to Sam.

Do you think that if AJ started we would have gone 12-0?

How many times do I have to say this? There are many solutions to get Epenesa on the field more often that involve taking out Brincks. Gholston, Reiff, Lattimore, both Nelsons, and Hesse were all better options than Brincks at DT. There are several DL combinations that would have vacated RE more often to allow AJE eat. He impacts every play that he's on the field, which, unfortunately, was only 47% of the time.

AJE is the best DE on this team, in this conference, and possibly the entire nation. He would be a 1st rounder right now and he's losing snaps to three players who will be driving a combine next year.

Iowa doesn't deserve top tier talent if this is how they are going to deploy them. If we're going to slowroll top talent like this in the future, don't be surprised when their names show up in the transfer portal.

Last edited:
There's little that AJE was the best pass rusher on this team but there is more to a DE than rushing the passer. It's called setting the edge against the run and Hesse had a advantage there. I'm willing to bet if you go back and watch a good portion of Joseys tackles Parker was doing his job on that play. Parkers not going to earn the millions we all hope AJE begins to try and earn starting this year but I also believe Parker will be coaching future Hawks and maybe someday Hawks themselves not just driving a combine as you say. And there's not a damn thing wrong with that if he or any other Hawk choose to do that either.

How many times do I have to say this? There are many solutions to get Epenesa on the field more often that involve taking out Brincks. Gholston, Reiff, Lattimore, both Nelsons, and Hesse were all better options than Brincks at DT. There are several DL combinations that would have vacated RE more often to allow AJE eat. He impacts every play that he's on the field, which, unfortunately, was only 47% of the time.

AJE is the best DE on this team, in this conference, and possibly the entire nation. He would be a 1st rounder right now and he's losing snaps to three players who will be driving a combine next year.

Iowa doesn't deserve top tier talent if this is how they are going to deploy them. If we're going to slowroll top talent like this in the future, don't be surprised when their names show up in the transfer portal.

Doubling down on showing your lack of understanding of the game isn’t a good look.

I do understand there is more than pass rushing to being a defensive end. That is taken into account. Do you understand that elite talents (in any field/of any type) "often" either innately get it or in this case will take to it very quickly with reps. In other words, yes, Hesse may set the edge better through an equal 100 reps, but if AJ gets let's hypothesize 700 snaps, he probably blows past the ceiling of a Hesse. Does that make sense? A guy who has a talent for measures and numbers isn't going to need the same time to learn how to build homes as the guy who is nice and smart and works hard but isn't born to don't innately.

Again, I'm not trying to say AJ is that guy. I am not close enough to know . But, by watching his effect on the game as well as his statistical impact, it stands to reason a few more snaps each week would have been at the very least warranted. Yes?

Accusing one side of seeing an issue only one-sided is relevant only when the seer isn't seeing it from only the other side...

I do understand there is more than pass rushing to being a defensive end. That is taken into account. Do you understand that elite talents (in any field/of any type) "often" either innately get it or in this case will take to it very quickly with reps. In other words, yes, Hesse may set the edge better through an equal 100 reps, but if AJ gets let's hypothesize 700 snaps, he probably blows past the ceiling of a Hesse. Does that make sense? A guy who has a talent for measures and numbers isn't going to need the same time to learn how to build homes as the guy who is nice and smart and works hard but isn't born to don't innately.

Again, I'm not trying to say AJ is that guy. I am not close enough to know . But, by watching his effect on the game as well as his statistical impact, it stands to reason a few more snaps each week would have been at the very least warranted. Yes?

Accusing one side of seeing an issue only one-sided is relevant only when the seer isn't seeing it from only the other side...

Here are some more things to take into account:
  • Maybe AJ had good sack numbers because the offensive tackle wasn't as prepared for AJ to run past him because he was used to Hesse
  • Maybe AJ had good sack numbers because he was more fresh (not having played 700 snaps)
  • Maybe Hesse has super high football IQ and can read plays super fast (though I agree that he is not as athletic at AJ)
  • Maybe you should apply to be the DC for Iowa so that you can be sure that "a guy who has a talent for measures and numbers" can play "a few more snaps each week"
  • Maybe you should complain about some other position instead of the DL, considering that the DL is one of the best positions of strength for the Hawks.

• Maybe AJ had good sack numbers because the offensive tackle wasn't as prepared for AJ to run past him because he was used to Hesse
  • Maybe AJ had good sack numbers because he was more fresh (not having played 700 snaps)
  • Maybe Hesse has super high football IQ and can read plays super fast (though I agree that he is not as athletic at AJ)
  • Maybe you should apply to be the DC for Iowa so that you can be sure that "a guy who has a talent for measures and numbers" can play "a few more snaps each week"
  • Maybe you should complain about some other position instead of the DL, considering that the DL is one of the best positions of strength for the Hawks.
Reread my posts. I am not claiming authority, and I not even complaining. I clearly stated I didn't see a big problem with AJ's snaps. I am asking as I supply some consideration for a side of the argument. Can you read? Or, we can go uber-emotional-overreaction and tell me to apply because that is clearly how I have handled this thread...

I already stated the defense and coaches are good. I am a huge supporter of them. Thanks for your illustration of close reading.

I assume you have a litany of schools playing for championships who intentionally play "Hesses" to give "Epenesas" rest and that change-up feel to add to their stat lines. Yes? Feel free to document them here:

You, also, realize football commentators question this, too, yes? Guys with careers spent in the field. They see an 8-win team that didn't challenge for the West...with an All-American 5-star talent coming off the bench.

Try to consider both sides of the argument instead of gutting out a bias. Again, unbiased, if you truly believe AJ deserved only fewer d-end snaps this season than Hesse, I think you don't understand winning. That is, again, no attack on Hesse, Parker, Ferentz, or the defense. Hesse is a good player! I loved following him. But, AJ is comprehensively the better talent whoweas incredibly productive and unless he can't comprehend schemes, his snaps should have increased each and every week. As I mentioned before, I don't know that that didn't happen. Did it?

How believing in high ceiling talent that produces is somehow taken as an attack on the hard-working lower ceiling guy is amazing to me. I support both.

You have a lot of maybes for a guy telling me how wrong I am. We can agree to disagree you know.

Mic dropped.

Your young aren’t you....that “mike drop thing” is a “new” thing. No one is in this thread going “oh shit” he got him...

Even the people who might agree with your premise, you didn’t give ANY insightful. All you did is prove you can read a stat line..

By the way we’re you around in 2010 to hear what a he fans were saying about the DL on that 7-5 team....

At least 5 played or are playing in the NFL...

Reread my posts. I am not claiming authority, and I not even complaining. I clearly stated I didn't see a big problem with AJ's snaps. I am asking as I supply some consideration for a side of the argument. Can you read? Or, we can go uber-emotional-overreaction and tell me to apply because that is clearly how I have handled this thread...

I already stated the defense and coaches are good. I am a huge supporter of them. Thanks for your illustration of close reading.

I assume you have a litany of schools playing for championships who intentionally play "Hesses" to give "Epenesas" rest and that change-up feel to add to their stat lines. Yes? Feel free to document them here:

You, also, realize football commentators question this, too, yes? Guys with careers spent in the field. They see an 8-win team that didn't challenge for the West...with an All-American 5-star talent coming off the bench.

Try to consider both sides of the argument instead of gutting out a bias. Again, unbiased, if you truly believe AJ deserved only fewer d-end snaps this season than Hesse, I think you don't understand winning. That is, again, no attack on Hesse, Parker, Ferentz, or the defense. Hesse is a good player! I loved following him. But, AJ is comprehensively the better talent whoweas incredibly productive and unless he can't comprehend schemes, his snaps should have increased each and every week. As I mentioned before, I don't know that that didn't happen. Did it?

How believing in high ceiling talent that produces is somehow taken as an attack on the hard-working lower ceiling guy is amazing to me. I support both.

Wow...what a terrible read. You should have stopped writing after your first 3 sentences. You are full of inconsistencies....is this your take at being unbiased?
  • You say you are not claiming authority, but looks like you are
  • You say you are not complaining, but looks like you are
  • You say you don't have a problem with AJs snap count, but you do
  • You say Iowa coaches are good, but say they don't understand winning
  • You say the Iowa defense is good, but ragging on the strength of the defense
  • You say you are unbiased, but seem very biased
Here is my un"biased" take on Hesse and AJ
  • AJ sure looks better than Hesse when I see them on TV, hmmm....I wonder why he doesn't get more snaps? (coaches are dumb)
  • However, "maybe" there are other things that are being considered when determining snap counts (coaches are smart)
  • Therefore, I will keep my mouth shut because I don't know shit!

Your general intent is good but honestly we wouldn’t have a clue, how many teams do or don’t “play” a Parker Hesse,. I’d wager way more than you or I would even be able to guess because of just a general lack of experience for other teams.

But I think only an idiot would think he is any less than a fantastic DE and he sure got lots of raves throughout the year from the announcers.

But ultimately he doesn’t need to “offer” up any more proof than you do, per se...

Finally It’s OK to understand the “other” argument, but when it happens over and over and over on a successful team with traditionally a top 20 defense...no I don’t think he needs to give them the benefit of the doubt, it’s tired, it’s old and it’s frustrating.

It’s not unusual in any sport for Top flight underclassmen to come off the bench. I find it laughable that we are questioning KF and Phil Parker and Reese Morgan when it comes to how they play their defensive guys, no other way to look at...

But to be fair when I was reading the Mississippi State board after the bowl game, their fans said they lost because their coaches were stupid and played the wrong guys too... I guess it’s just what fans do.

Reactions: owenhawk
Wow...what a terrible read. You should have stopped writing after your first 3 sentences. You are full of inconsistencies....is this your take at being unbiased?
  • AJ sure looks better than Hesse when I see them on TV, hmmm....I wonder why he doesn't get more snaps? (coaches are dumb)
  • However, "maybe" there are other things that are being considered when determining snap counts (coaches are smart)
First, not all are accurate condensed versions of my beliefs.

Second, do you understand paradox? Many of these opposites can be true at the same time. I really don't want to argue. But, for example, I can easily say I believe our coaches, defense, and Hesses are good while 100% believing at the same time AJ would benefit from more snaps, growing more quickly. Are you thinking "good" is a synonym for infallable? One of the best things about this staff who I support 100% is their willingness to admit faults and mistakes while having a program that stands for unchangeable ideals. These "contradictory" statements are not tied to each other. Understand? Maybe if you have kids you could understand loving them 100% yet knowing they make mistakes and have weaknesses. Yes?

If you go back to my first post in this thread you will see I only added an opinion that IF (no one has answered yet to my knowledge) AJ's snap count did not grow during the season to some degree, it would be hard to support that. That's it. I loved the depth and rotation. Hesses are a key part of the program's success (already stated but missed).

I am for the underdog 100%. But, we are ignorant if we believe - on a macro level - that Iowa's win over OSU in 2017 is more than an aberration - at least to date. They are 36-5-1 since 1963 against Iowa. It isn't because of coaching. Iowa is at least their equal over that time. At least. It's talent. Look at conference champions this year and the final four. The number of non-elite talents is miniscule. I love the underdog. I celebrate the story of overcoming, and a team of underdogs can win a big game against talent, buy the odds are like Iowa v. OSU. And, over time talent beats lesser talent. There is an ocean of proof.

Forgive me because I don't want to argue. I really don't, but I don't think you understand a) my original post, b) paradox, and c) that even the greatest coaches, bosses, husbands, etc. make mistakes. When you do, I am not asking you to agree necessarily. I can happily support a fellow Hawk fan 100% though we 100% disagree on an issue. Go Hawks!

Reactions: ltsimmer

Second, do you understand paradox? Many of these opposites can be true at the same time. I really don't want to argue. But, for example, I can easily say I believe our coaches, defense, and Hesses are good while 100% believing at the same time AJ would benefit from more snaps, growing more quickly. Are you thinking "good" is a synonym for infallable? One of the best things about this staff who I support 100% is their willingness to admit faults and mistakes while having a program that stands for unchangeable ideals. These "contradictory" statements are not tied to each other. Understand? Maybe if you have kids you could understand loving them 100% yet knowing they make mistakes and have weaknesses. Yes?

If you go back to my first post in this thread you will see I only added an opinion that IF (no one has answered yet to my knowledge) AJ's snap count did not grow during the season to some degree, it would be hard to support that. That's it. I loved the depth and rotation. Hesses are a key part of the program's success (already stated but missed).

I am for the underdog 100%. But, we are ignorant if we believe - on a macro level - that Iowa's win over OSU in 2017 is more than an aberration - at least to date. They are 36-5-1 since 1963 against Iowa. It isn't because of coaching. Iowa is at least their equal over that time. At least. It's talent. Look at conference champions this year and the final four. The number of non-elite talents is miniscule. I love the underdog. I celebrate the story of overcoming, and a team of underdogs can win a big game against talent, buy the odds are like Iowa v. OSU. And, over time talent beats lesser talent. There is an ocean of proof.

Well stated, sir. I also have a lot of respect for what Hayden and KF have accomplished these past forty years but don't doubt for a second there would have been a lot more wins with more talent sprinkled in during that time. History will show AJE was a much more talented player than Hesse. It is an undeniable fact. What remains to be seen is what he looks like as an every-down player. I think he is going to be great. He has shown the strength to toy with tackles at times. The rap on him giving up the edge is bogus because anyone playing the position is going to look guilty of this if the line is doing a left slant and the end has to jump into the B gap. Hesse did this numerous times and "gave up the edge". He didn't, actually, because either the OLB or CB, depending on the offensive alignment, was supposed to have contain. Hesse was a good player. He didn't hurt the Hawks by being on the field. But AJE is in an entirely different universe in terms of capability.

I would guess that that incident wouldn't have made the news in about 85 percent of college campuses. Definitely not in places like Lincoln and Tallahassee.
In Lincoln or Tallahassee, the police would have given Reiff a ride home for an autograph and a selfie.

Last edited:
Reactions: grayhair81
In Lincoln or Tallahassee, the police would have given Reiff a ride home for an autograph and a selfie.

Hell, Lawrence Phillips spent 30 minutes in jail and was released on $100 bond for brutalizing Big Dick Scottie's girl back in 95. He may have driven to the police station in his brand new Mustang he somehow could afford as a poor college kid from LA.

This was a good, passionate post. There are some outliers or anomalies that are hard to quantify however...

For example, as you may already know, Wisconsin has historically been a thorn in Ohio St's heel, even back in the 80's when they were awful

So while we are 5-20-1 vs tOSU since Hayden got here....

Wiscy is 11-22-1 with 5 of those wins coming in the 80's

Illinois (another team I know plays them well) is 11-25

Michigan however, we are 11-16-1

Wiscy is 8-20

Illinois 5-24-2

So although, UM and tOSU have signed similar classes over the years years (tOSU a bit better historically) the above three teams have had varying results...

Moral being, there are a lot of things at play....

Also tOSU is one of the 5 most talented teams in NCAA football over the last 40 years...maybe the MOST talented, yet they have only won 2 NC's....

Last edited:

This post wins the thread even though I disagree that the HC isn't stubborn. He is, to a fault. And he can be petty, see the 2018 NF situation. And he can be tone deaf, see the decision to not even interview people post-GD for the OC position. The reason he may be moderating that approach is 100% because of his aspirations for his son. And so I'm thankful that an above-avg coach is a little less stubborn, regardless of why.

Reactions: SLarew and DewHawk
This post wins the thread even though I disagree that the HC isn't stubborn. He is, to a fault. And he can be petty, see the 2018 NF situation. And he can be tone deaf, see the decision to not even interview people post-GD for the OC position. The reason he may be moderating that approach is 100% because of his aspirations for his son. And so I'm thankful that an above-avg coach is a little less stubborn, regardless of why.

I'm not really sure you have any real frame of reference that would warrant your opinion meaning much ore than my 6 year olds.

The offense has improved...pretty dramatically really.

All successful people are stubborn...

You really don't now anything about the NF situation and team chemistry problems are very fragile....

The longer things go, the more remarkable the Head Coach looks....

Only stubborn people cant see it....

I think I appreciate what you are trying to do. However, the expanded stats don't help or hurt my points. You're focusing on comparable records with other schools. I only used one matchup as an example of a point concerning talent. My point isn't about matchups or outliers. Not all head to head records would serve here because, of course, there are "other things at play", but you're missing the metaphorical purpose of the inclusion of the one I used. My point is talent beats lesser talent more often. It is indisputable. There are examples of the contrary, but they will always be the minority at some number less than 50 percent. I don't care if it's a spelling bee, skateboarding, cooking, or exploring the New World. Every point you want to use that opposes it rests in the minority. Talent beats lesser talent. It is stunning that this is even a discussion. You're overrating the handfuls of examples and circumstances that do exist, like matchups and work ethic. This is why something like Strengthsfinder from the early Oughts used research to motivate people to cultivate their strengths instead of working hard to raise their weaknesses. Inherent talent must be found, fed, and refined for us to be our best selves. You can work all day, all week, all month, all year, all decade, all of your life at improving, say, organization skills, but you may only improve a small percentage. Meanwhile, someone with a talent in organization skills will barely lift a finger and be naturally more organized than you in an hour. Unfortunately, most people spend most of their time trying to catch up to others where they are weak. A true talent is innate, given. These talents will not lose to those who don't have them very often.

If I stated water is important to humans to live, someone would have to wedge their way in with their exception and inflate it be a false majority.

Talent will beat lesser talent more often than it doesn't in major college football. An AJ will improve at a quicker rate than a Parker Hesse. That still doesn't mean Parker is not good.

This was a good, passionate post. There are some outliers or anomalies that are hard to quantify however...

For example, as you may already know, Wisconsin has historically been a thorn in Ohio St's heel, even back in the 80's when they were awful

So while we are 5-20-1 vs tOSU since Hayden got here....

Wiscy is 11-22-1 with 5 of those wins coming in the 80's

Illinois (another team I know plays them well) is 11-25

Michigan however, we are 11-16-1

Wiscy is 8-20

Illinois 5-24-2

So although, UM and tOSU have signed similar classes over the years years (tOSU a bit better historically) the above three teams have had varying results...

Moral being, there are a lot of things at play....

Also tOSU is one of the 5 most talented teams in NCAA football over the last 40 years...maybe the MOST talented, yet they have only won 2 NC's....

I think I appreciate what you are trying to do. However, the expanded stats don't help or hurt my points. You're focusing on comparable records with other schools. I only used one matchup as an example of a point concerning talent. My point isn't about matchups or outliers. Not all head to head records would serve here because, of course, there are "other things at play", but you're missing the metaphorical purpose of the inclusion of the one I used. My point is talent beats lesser talent more often. It is indisputable. There are examples of the contrary, but they will always be the minority at some number less than 50 percent. I don't care if it's a spelling bee, skateboarding, cooking, or exploring the New World. Every point you want to use that opposes it rests in the minority. Talent beats lesser talent. It is stunning that this is even a discussion. You're overrating the handfuls of examples and circumstances that do exist, like matchups and work ethic. This is why something like Strengthsfinder from the early Oughts used research to motivate people to cultivate their strengths instead of working hard to raise their weaknesses. Inherent talent must be found, fed, and refined for us to be our best selves. You can work all day, all week, all month, all year, all decade, all of your life at improving, say, organization skills, but you may only improve a small percentage. Meanwhile, someone with a talent in organization skills will barely lift a finger and be naturally more organized than you in an hour. Unfortunately, most people spend most of their time trying to catch up to others where they are weak. A true talent is innate, given. These talents will not lose to those who don't have them very often.

If I stated water is important to humans to live, someone would have to wedge their way in with their exception and inflate it be a false majority.

Talent will beat lesser talent more often than it doesn't in major college football. An AJ will improve at a quicker rate than a Parker Hesse. That still doesn't mean Parker is not good.

Not going to address this whole thing, but I will say this....there are a lot of Parker Hesse's in the NFL and I'm still convinced he will be.

Talent is also much harder to define than you are suggesting...Remember JJ Watt was a 2-star TE recruit at Central Michigan. AJ isn't any stronger, faster or more explosive than he is...that's just the tip of ice berg as well.

There are only about 4 or 5 Ohio St's currently residing in college football. By the by...Michigan, nor Penn St, nor anyone but Ohio St on our schedule is one of them...

The talent level in college football is closer to Iowa than you think....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT