ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk being humbled is a good thing

he did this to Brian.

giphy.gif

buck stops with head coach, like it or not. Plus, Kirk made him the QB coach this season. Kirk has very dirty hands here.

BF statement to ESPN

In a statement to ESPN, Brian Ferentz said, “For the vast majority of my adult life I have had the privilege to represent the University of Iowa as a football player and coach. I have always considered and will always consider it an honor. In that time my singular goal has been to contribute to the football team’s success. As long as I am employed by the University of Iowa my stated goal will not change. My priority will continue to be the well being of our students and the success of our team.”

Last edited:
the firing of his son has to force Kirk into a new Kirk 5.0 or see him graciously leave the program. Definitely a chance to self reflect. I like Kirk, he’s done well for Iowa the past 25 years, but the product is stale and he did this to Brian.
Yep, he's done a lot of good for Iowa. But for too many years he's had the AD and the university in his back pocket, has acted as though he's above being questioned, can do whatever he wants without ever having to worry about accountability. I'm glad BG stepped up and made it clear that she's not Gary Barta and that she's in charge.

I am most upset with KF:
- he hired his son. Major bad decision
- he refused to get rid of BF when it became abundantly clear that BF was in over his head
- he refused to step in and override BF’s offensive scheme/play calling
- he hung his kid out and did nothing about it
I agree.

For years it has been clear to me that KF values "trust" in players and coaches above all else. He hired his son on the staff because he could trust him. It was a questionable decision.

He promoted him to OC for the same reason. Highly questionable.

He held on to him for the same reason. Very, very poor decision.

Yep, he's done a lot of good for Iowa. But for too many years he's had the AD and the university in his back pocket, has acted as though he's above being questioned, can do whatever he wants without ever having to worry about accountability. I'm glad BG stepped up and made it clear that she's not Gary Barta and that she's in charge.
So Hayden didn't do what he wanted?

I agree.

For years it has been clear to me that KF values "trust" in players and coaches above all else. He hired his son on the staff because he could trust him. It was a questionable decision.

He promoted him to OC for the same reason. Highly questionable.

He held on to him for the same reason. Very, very poor decision.
One caveat. Brian was on Belichek's staff at New England prior to being at Iowa. Do we think Bill just hired him as a token favor to friend Kirk? There was a little basis for him moving into the OL coach role at Iowa when he did.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
You can't say he did nothing about it.

Kirk tried very hard to help out his son.

Brought in KOK. Brought in Budmayr.

It's unfortunate that things didn't work out.

But it's time to move on from this disaster of an experiment.
I think KOK was brought back in 2017 as our QB coach to help educate Brian on being an OC, but maybe his pants got too big in 2017 with some of the wins we did get that year.

Do not ever hire family. It puts you in a no win situation.

The State of Iowa made laws for public employees so this exact scenario couldn’t happen.

KF / BF / Barta skirted those laws and made an “arrangement.”

Questionable at best, criminal at worst.

While I think Kirk has mostly lead the program with integrity during his tenure. This arrangement and Brian living in Section 8 housing while his dad was a multi-millionaire were both definitely low lights. Both involved Brian, go figure.

One caveat. Brian was on Belichek's staff at New England prior to being at Iowa. Do we think Bill just hired him as a token favor to friend Kirk? There was a little basis for him moving into the OL coach role at Iowa when he did.
Agreed. I said it was questionable due to the nepotism. He was clearly a qualified candidate IMO.

I think Brian is a solid coach in the realm of TE/OL coach.

The problem was, once every other team figured out that he primarily is going to use his TE, he didn't adapt or change his philosophy. He was not a good in-game coach.

I wonder what the actual dynamics of this action were.
Brian realized it wasn't working?
Pappy finally pulled the plug?
Goetz said it was GOING to happen?
Big donors got it done?

For what it's worth, i wondered at times what Junior could do without the restraints of Pappy's obsolete system.

The State of Iowa made laws for public employees so this exact scenario couldn’t happen.

KF / BF / Barta skirted those laws and made an “arrangement.”

Questionable at best, criminal at worst.

While I think Kirk has mostly lead the program with integrity during his tenure. This arrangement and Brian living in Section 8 housing while his dad was a multi-millionaire were both definitely low lights. Both involved Brian, go figure.
Another of Gary's smooth moves. I put much of this at his feet. He let KFz walk all over him...that's what got us to today.

I wonder what the actual dynamics of this action were.
Brian realized it wasn't working?
Pappy finally pulled the plug?
Goetz said it was GOING to happen?
Big donors got it done?

For what it's worth, i wondered at times what Junior could do without the restraints of Pappy's obsolete system.
The latter ... and KF is up next, fans are bored. This shit football isn’t going to work after this year. The schedule isn’t a bunch of shitty Big 10 teams with an occasional ass kicking by OhioSt or Michigan.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
I am most upset with KF:
- he hired his son. Major bad decision
- he refused to get rid of BF when it became abundantly clear that BF was in over his head
- he refused to step in and override BF’s offensive scheme/play calling
- he hung his kid out and did nothing about it
Who’s offensive scheme do you think Brian was calling? But understand EVERY OC at Iowa has departed under bad/controversial circumstances….and every OC at UIowa had enjoyed some pretty high degrees of success running this same offense for 24 years….The offense depends on high degrees of execution Moore than high degrees of player skill…..I laughingly refer to Iowa’s KIRK OFFENSE as the same 6 plays he’s always run, it’s the execution that spells success or not. I think Kirk and staff recruit towards the defensive side of the ball more than the offensive side as it’s the safer side if you want to remain competitive. I would like to see Kirk get a more mobil QB (like Banks) and maybe a wide receiver with the ability to catch the ball!
This year, injuries have done the offense in more than anything.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Do not ever hire family. It puts you in a no win situation.
The biggest problem I had with it in this case is that Brian being there started to resemble the worst aspects of what happens in a family business when the son is being groomed to take over the company for dad. It's one thing if it's the family owned manufacturing, construction or whatever company it might be. HUGE difference here is that Iowa football isn't owned by the coach. He's the highly paid CEO, but that doesn't make it HIS company. And he doesn't get to treat it like it's his company no matter how much he might want to. Barta's incompetence over many years fueled this problem to where it has now come.

I hope you all will be happy after she hires a woman to be the first female head coach.

• Haha
Reactions: Front7 and littlez
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT