ADVERTISEMENT

So yeah, we are all happy Brian is gone, but the problem is Kirk.

No respectable OC would ever come to this program given the handcuffing that Kirk would impose. Brian was a puppet, Kirk is the puppet master behind the sheet.
I simply don’t believe a coordinator allows himself to be so harshly criticized, have a failing unit, and negatively impact his future career all to accommodate the head coach. I’m not saying there are things that KF wants in an offense, but to say KF is going to hamstring his son knowing the pressure he is under and BF is going to allow it, is misguided, I believe.

Reactions: ICHerky
Greg Davis was a place holder for Brian as it was all part of a plan for Brian to become the OC. Davis fails and he gets fired or quits, Brian takes over. Davis succeeds and he retires (again) anyways after a couple years and Brian takes over. He needed to gain some years of tenure before Kirk could give him the job no questions asked. I consider those two to just be one catastrophic hire.

Take family interest out of it and maybe he hires someone decent. Now wether he picks some lackey yes man out of spite or not has yet to be seen, but if he wants anyone to take a chance on his kids again he probably shouldn't go out bitter and execute the scorched earth route.
Yeah, the more you take a step back and really analyze the moves KF made to get us here, the more of a piece of shit I feel he is. These were pre meditated moves to gift his son a position he had no business getting, at the cost of the Iowa football program. Fvcking unreal.

Reactions: wxhawk
Yeah, the more you take a step back and really analyze the moves KF made to get us here, the more of a piece of shit I feel he is. These were pre meditated moves to gift his son a position he had no business getting, at the cost of the Iowa football program. Fvcking unreal.
Taking a step back is not necessary. Anyone who didn't see this unfolding the day KF promoted his his dipsh*t kid to run the offense was fooling himself. Became even more obvious that KF had no real interest in having a workable offense when he added QB coach duties to BF's title - that was like giving me a job to translate for a Japanese nuclear physicist.

KF put his family's interests above the team's, and it has cost everyone. And of course it only happened because he was enabled by an even bigger dipsh*t running the athletic department. I was really hoping to see a day like this when GB left; so glad he was replaced by someone with some balls. Any small doubts I had about BG have vanished.

Reactions: Andrew Houk
Kirk was way more than enough good will to ride things out. Unless we completely fall apart to end the year, if he makes the right OC hire (not sure that he can) he deserves to be back.

IF he hires somebody that is going to just keep trotting out more of the same on offense, he does not. Big caveat there.
Yeah, let's see how many more scandals he's capable of.

I agree it's on Kirk. But I am glad Brian is gone.

I think its natural as anyone gets older they not so much get in fights with their parents but can challenge, argue, and share their opinions with their parents in a productive and respectful way. So I will admit I was optimistic about BF because my thinking was he was the only one on this planet that could get Kirk to open up and modernize things.

The sad part is Kirks philosophy can still work with more modern formations. You can still run effectively out of gun and pistol. That combined with an update in passing trees and patterns could unlock this offense.

We'll see if he stays and/or stubbornness prevails.

Yeah that big problem of being the winningest coach in programs history and making us a natl mention… yall so dumb, it’s hard to even fathom. If it weren’t for KF you’d be ISU fans by now and have no grounds or expectations to even dream of Iowa making the CFP. Get a fking clue u blowhards.

I haven't been around a ton of programs, a couple of small college and a few HS programs. But I can't believe the "rules" are any different:
1] The Head Coach makes ALL decisions relative to staffing and philosophy.
2] The assistants he has have 1 job... to carry out what the Head Coach wants in whatever their role is.
3] I have never EVER seen exceptions to that.
I'm expecting Kirk today to say it is HIS offense, HIS defense and HIS special teams. If he wanted something different on offense, we'd do it. I read in another post that no one EVER tells the head coach how to staff his program. That has been my experience with more !!!!! points behind it than could ever be posted.

For anyone to think that by firing Brian, things will change just aren't being realistic. And (as much as we'd ALL hate this) if Kirk doesn't retire, I'm pretty sure John Budmeyer will be the next OC (see points 1-3 above). Yes Kirk put himself in this position. In fact I'm sure his SOLE goal was to get to a point where he could force Brian in as Head Coach and retire. That it blew up was predictable but doesn't change at all any of this.

Remember.... KOK did the unthinkable and had better offenses than Brian.

So it IS possible to have a better offense than we have. Nothing wrong with wanting to run a pro style offense. You just have to get better players and better playcalling. NETHER of those were trending the right direction with Brian.

Kirk is conservative, but I don't think his goal is to have an offensive gain 12 yards in a half and have like 8 straight possessions of 3 and outs.
And better line play. And better QB play. There's nothing inherently wrong with KF's philosophy IMO. There were certain years in the past where the offense was pretty solid, under KF's oversight. Getting rid of BF (OC and QB coach) is a great start. That's why I don't agree with those who say it doesn't matter who the OC is. The offense was never THIS bad, until the past few years.

Not sure I have any faith at all in KF's ability (or desire) to fix this at this point, though.

And better line play. And better QB play. There's nothing inherently wrong with KF's philosophy IMO. There were certain years in the past where the offense was pretty solid, under KF's oversight. Getting rid of BF (OC and QB coach) is a great start. That's why I don't agree with those who say it doesn't matter who the OC is. The offense was never THIS bad, until the past few years.

Not sure I have any faith at all in KF's ability (or desire) to fix this at this point, though.
The past two incoming recruiting classes are proof that KF has essentially given up working as hard as it takes to bring in the talent required to win like he used to. Time to move on.

Why would you fire a 6-2 coach with the results that KF has produced?

Because you are now going to get the end of the Bowden era all over. Kirk staying to get the woody hayes thing, but half checked out mentally for 3 years. No relationship with AD.

Because you are now going to get the end of the Bowden era all over. Kirk staying to get the woody hayes thing, but half checked out mentally for 3 years. No relationship with AD.

That's nothing more than pure speculation.

He may walk after the bowl game, he may stay on to show everyone who doubts him they don't know sh1t, he may stay where he and Iowa have been since the early 80's, an 8-4 team, or maybe he stays and Iowa fades to Nebraska level.

We'll find out and I highly doubt it's the latter.

do you guys think he may open up the play book a little? do some fakes, double reverses, flea flickers, fake kicks? I hope so but I bet not...what's he got to lose?

• Haha
Reactions: ddeanHawk
Won't do any good to open the play book if your QB is inept. We can't even perform the most rudimentary plays right now.
And if I was Kirk, I would say I've milked the University of Iowa for more money than I will ever be able to spend and say adios at the end of the year, thus also avoiding the new B1G and the heavy influx of teams that will kick our butts.

The University of Miami (FL), Nebraska, Oklahoma and lots of other teams who experienced a long run of success in the 80s & 90s dropped off the map (albeit at different times) and some haven't really recovered. Why? Fan bases (and especially boosters) getting too big for their britches, thinking that 10 win seasons don't cut it. When did we decide that 10 wins isn't good enough? If we win out this year, it will be only the 11th time in program history that we've hit 10 wins. 8 of 11 was with Captain Kirk steering the ship. 10 wins isn't the norm, folks. It's the exception. We're now firing coaches during exceptional runs?

Good luck doing better. The tears this time next year are going to be the bitterest we've cried in quite some time, fellow Hawkeyes.

The recruiting with Iowa being ranked behind Nebraska, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers and Minnesota, and not even close to Wisconsin? That recruiting? Are we talking about the same recruiting?
Thanks for confirming you don’t pay attention to recruiting at all, considering measuring by rankings is literally just looking for something to bitch about. Rankings that can be skewed by the overall number of recruits in class, and don’t take into account the average rating of a recruit.

Nebraska has always and likely will for a long time recruit better than Iowa, so it’s pretty clear you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Thanks for confirming you don’t pay attention to recruiting at all, considering measuring by rankings is literally just looking for something to bitch about. Rankings that can be skewed by the overall number of recruits in class, and don’t take into account the average rating of a recruit.

Nebraska has always and likely will for a long time recruit better than Iowa, so it’s pretty clear you have no idea what you’re talking about.
That's funny. It seems like every team we play has more talent on the field than we do, yet we are out-recruiting them all. Good thing for our great recruiting or else we might have the worst QB, OL and WR rooms in the B1G. Oops.

I guess I'll trust your star-rankings and such, though. They've proven to really mean something. Actually, I wonder if you might actually be Seth Barnes. Seth? LOL

My heart aches for Kirk, but he put himself in this position.

100% the right decision.

Go Hawks!

That's funny. It seems like every team we play has more talent on the field than we do, yet we are out-recruiting them all. Good thing for our great recruiting or else we might have the worst QB, OL and WR rooms in the B1G. Oops.

I guess I'll trust your star-rankings and such, though. They've proven to really mean something. Actually, I wonder if you might actually be Seth Barnes. Seth? LOL
Funny, if we were always at such a talent disadvantage like you claim we are, we'd win a lot less games.

Do you even think before you open your mouth? LOL

• Haha
Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
Funny, if we were always at such a talent disadvantage like you claim we are, we'd win a lot less games.

Do you even think before you open your mouth? LOL
Yeah, just love beating all those MAC and MWC and MVFC teams (most of the time), as well as most of the pathetic B1G West.

But hey, some organization that puts stars and numbers next to players names tells you Iowa recruiting has been great, so I'm looking forward to the sudden huge shift in on-field performance. Just remember to wake me up when it happens.

Yeah, just love beating all those MAC and MWC and MVFC teams (most of the time), as well as most of the pathetic B1G West.

But hey, some organization that puts stars and numbers next to players names tells you Iowa recruiting has been great, so I'm looking forward to the sudden huge shift in on-field performance. Just remember to wake me up when it happens.
Lol it's been happening you window-licker.

You can't even get the guy's name right, what's it like being so dumb you can't even do the most basic research?

LMAO you're a great example of faking it till you make it.

You do you, you beautiful moron.
BTW, that was an AWESOME remark you made toward me that was a derogatory term for mentally handicapped people. You have no business calling anyone unintelligent, moron, dumb or any other insult like that if that word is part of your vocabulary. Of course it's not surprising - Making those types of remarks on message boards are pretty common when someone has been beaten (I've made none, mind you).

• Haha
Reactions: Frosty7130
BTW, that was an AWESOME remark you made toward me that was a derogatory term for mentally handicapped people. You have no business calling anyone unintelligent, moron, dumb or any other insult like that if that word is part of your vocabulary. Of course it's not surprising - Making those types of remarks on message boards are pretty common when someone has been beaten (I've made none, mind you).
Aw, he's butthurt that someone handed his same schtick right back to him. Can dish it out but can't take it.

If you put as much research into your posts as you did your insults, you wouldn't be regarded as such a moron.

They don’t have the players on offense. This has built to climax after three years of poor results which have led to poor recruiting on offense. The only offensive position they have even developed lately is the TE. Kirk is lost offensively in todays game and everyone knows it. Especially recruits. Don’t forget poor asst coaching hires, WR, OL and OC. The offense is rock bottom.

Aw, he's butthurt that someone handed his same schtick right back to him. Can dish it out but can't take it.

If you put as much research into your posts as you did your insults, you wouldn't be regarded as such a moron.
This makes absolutely no sense.

"Handed his same schtick [sic] right back to him"? You're making insults toward me and derogatory remarks toward mentally handicapped people. I have not done of that, so how is it my shtick? I have not made one insult toward you. Like I said, people who constantly sling insults around on message boards have been beaten.

You've just totally lost it, like most that I own on this board. Not surprising. I'll just take the W.

• Haha
Reactions: Frosty7130
This makes absolutely no sense.

"Handed his same schtick [sic] right back to him"? You're making insults toward me and derogatory remarks toward mentally handicapped people. I have not done of that, so how is it my shtick? I have not made one insult toward you. Like I said, people who constantly sling insults around on message boards have been beaten.

You've just totally lost it, like most that I own on this board. Not surprising. I'll just take the W.
Ah, nice cop-out, convince yourself you've got the upper-hand without ever actually having said anything at all.

Common tactic of children.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT