ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Herbstreit doesn’t think there will be a football season

Sorry. Not buying it.
Football will be played. The virus is not that bad.
It's a flu hug.
Yes, I had it. Recovered after 4 days.
I'm 53 years old. Oh, and I'm a smoker. But yes, I'm still alive. Oddly, I craved orange juice the entire time, and now they're say vitamin C is very helpful ffg or COVID 19.

So, sounds like you dodged a bullet. And instead of using your experience as a cautionary tale to others, you're saying "Meh, it's not that bad, let's get back to work, enough with this social distancing nonsense, I want to be sure there's a football season." Awesome. I'm surprised I haven't read your story on Fox News.

EUKh0j9UEAA0Wkl

Reactions: Hawkeyerick
Feels better to say that, but with a kid on the team at Clemson, his own personal keys to the football facility at Ohio State, and the home phone number of everyone who’s anyone in college football, I think Kirk likely has more of a bead on things than the loudmouth at the next barstool.
I doubted his opinions based on any facts at this point.

Dude. 12-18 months IS being sped up for a vaccine. Most vaccines take years (5-20) to be developed. 12-18 months is unbelievably fast and the absolute earliest we will see it. We will not see a vaccine in a few weeks or months as some are hoping. Have to make sure it works and is safe on humans and that takes time. To think a decision maker would say we will open the country up and have "full churches on Easter" is absolutely ridiculous.
However the leader didn’t say that, yet imbeciles keep framing it that way.

If your accepting pay for it then that blood will not be used on patients. They use that for testing only. If you go to Life Serve like I have (over 100 times, and yes, I'm old) they used that for hospitals. That's what I was told by Life Serve.

Talking donating plasma and not blood. The plasma is used to treat certain diseases and immune deficiencies. They pay you because it can take anywhere from 1-2 hours depending on how busy they are. BioLife Plasma Services is the big one in the Des Moines area. West Des Moines and Ankeny. Like I said, I have a good friend who has an deficiency, so it is personal reasons that I do it.

Sports world's reaction paints grim image to severity of situation
The cancellation of events through the end of 2020 doesn't seem so far-fetched.

JIM SOUHAN
Minneapolis Star Tribune
MARCH 29, 2020 — 7:33PM

Want to know how serious the pandemic is?

Use sport as the canary in the coal mine.

If you listen to the wrong politician or watch the wrong station, you might have been deceived about the nature and danger of the coronavirus.

If you want a glimpse of reality, look to the sports world, where those in charge have little choice but to make nonpartisan decisions in real time.

Major sports are billion-dollar businesses owned by billionaires. They almost all employ excellent medical teams. Their businesses rely on long-term planning and scheduling, including reservations of stadiums and arenas. They increasingly value computer modeling and analytics. They must work with powerful unions in the form of players associations.

Whatever their political leanings, they can’t lie about the effects of the virus to protect a party or politician. Better put, they can’t lie without looking foolish or criminal in the eyes of their employees and customers, and damaging their reputations and future earnings.

They also gain no advantage by projecting worst-case possibilities.

So when ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit said this past week that he would be “shocked” if there is an NCAA or NFL season this fall, and when the Twins’ bosses said there may not be a 2020 baseball season, note the sources.

College football has made Herbstreit rich and famous. He loves the game and benefits from its popularity. He has no incentive to cast doubt on the possibility that there will be a season.

Here’s what Herbstreit said: “I’ll be shocked if we have NFL football this fall, if we have college football,” he said. “I’ll be so surprised if that happens. Just because from what I understand, people that I listen to, you’re 12 to 18 months from a vaccine. I don’t know how you let these guys go into locker rooms and let stadiums be filled up and how you can play ball.

“Next thing you know you got a locker room full of guys that are sick. And that’s on your watch? I wouldn’t want to have that. As much as I hate to say it, I think we’re scratching the surface of where this thing’s going to go.”

Also last week, Twins President Dave St. Peter said: “Baseball will return. Our job is to be ready for that, assuming it happens. But do we know that’s going to happen [in 2020]? No, we don’t.”

Plenty of politicians and news organizations have responsibly sounded the alarm about a crisis that has New York hospitals building makeshift morgues and deciding which patients should receive their limited medical supplies. Their messages don’t always reach the masses.

What’s different in sport management is that it is one step removed from partisan posturing, and from partisan suspicion. So when sports owners shut down their leagues, risking massive financial losses, you should pay attention.

When owners received information from their medical people about the virus, the sports world stopped.

To resume their seasons, the NHL and NBA would have to fly players back from Europe, hold training camps, then schedule a championship tournament that would be abbreviated and cheapened, or push back next season. And that’s if the virus is eradicated within a few months, with little or no chance of returning.

To play a football season requires at least a month of practice and conditioning. The NFL is already pushing its luck by trying a 17-game regular season. A 17-game regular season with players unprepared for full contact could be disastrous.

Baseball faces a different challenge. While other sports sell excitement and the allure of the big game, baseball’s charm and history is rooted in its long regular season.

It’s not a sport suited to short tournaments, or winter weather, and preparing a starting pitcher for a season can require at least a month.

If the NHL and NBA can’t restart seasons by June, would baseball be able to schedule any kind of representative regular season?

Nobody who runs a sport wants to miss a game, much less a season. For those having difficulty discerning the truth about our national tragedy, sports figures contemplating an indefinite shutdown should tell you all you need to know.

Jim Souhan is a sports columnist for the Minneapolis Star Tribune. He has worked at the paper since 1990, previously covering the Twins and Vikings.

jsouhan@startribune.com
612-673-4503
@Souhanstrib

LINK: https://www.startribune.com/sports-...rim-image-to-severity-of-situation/569207142/

Reactions: Fan In Black
My two cents: College/Pro football will be impacted in some fashion (i.e. duration of season, no season, start of season, fans in attendance) … Too much unknown right now to believe fall sports won't be impacted.

If he is right, do they just cancel the season, or do they bounce all the seasons that are scheduled out an additional year?
So 2020 becomes the 2021 schedule and so forth. The NCAA would be earning their money keeping people in line.

Quit crying snowflake

Hi Kurt. I missed the "ratings hit" press conference on sunday. Can you fill me in on what Don said about that whole 'opening up the country on Easter' thing he was speaking of just a few days ago? Let me know what you find. Thanks in advance!

Totally disagree..... the facts are there will be no vaccine for some time ....until then there is no way to slow this down. Even if we see the number of cases level off within days of allowing people to gather in masses again the numbers will sharply rise again. So until there is a vaccine dont expect things to change. His opinion has nothing to do with having a mic or being a expert ........if you are paying attention you will come to the same conclusion!
This virus will mutate itself out... It constantly mutates, which is why it was discovered in the 50s and yet has no cure.

Kirk is more concerned about his kid getting the flu then his kid getting a brain concussion.

It's time to shut all sports down do it for the children.

Yes. However, doom and gloom helps nobody. America is a great nation with great people. We will get through this. Snowflakes can’t handle reality.
Texas and Florida still don't have stay at home orders yet. I know it's hard to embrace reality with your head shoved up your ass but keep throwing hypocritical insults if it makes you feel better.

I don’t know why the article I linked didn’t include this quote, but he also said:

“Next thing you know you got a locker room full of guys that are sick. And that's on your watch? I wouldn't want to have that."

"As much as I hate to say it, I think we're scratching the surface of where this thing's gonna go."

He makes a good point. All it takes is a breakout in one locker room at any school and heads will roll. Who wants to be the person to sign off on that?

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/27/kirk-herbstreit-nfl-football-college/
First off, I think universities have to be safe enough to re-open. If you can't bring the students back to campus, how can you have a football season?

Secondly, conditions have to be safe enough to allow the players back into the facilities. Currently they are locked out.

Regarding postponing or canceling the season, it will be an NCAA decision for the entire FBS and FCS. Keep in mind that they are expecting a second wave of this virus in the fall.

IF we don't get this virus under control, I can't see how we can put football teams on planes and fly them to places like Rutgers (NJ), Syracuse (NY), Miami (FL), Houston (TX), LSU, Washington (Seattle), U of S Calif, UCLA and other hot spot areas.

How big is a football team traveling party? Over 100, correct? Can you imagine sending those 100 people to NJ and then potentially having them come back to campus and spreading the virus to the team and to the entire campus?

I also don't see how we could fill up 70,000+ football stadiums when the virus is so contagious.

Sorry. Not buying it.
Football will be played. The virus is not that bad.
It's a flu hug.
Yes, I had it. Recovered after 4 days.
I'm 53 years old. Oh, and I'm a smoker. But yes, I'm still alive. Oddly, I craved orange juice the entire time, and now they're say vitamin C is very helpful ffg or COVID 19.
well, shit. time to re-open the country.

Dick Pound was on Pardon My Take and said based on evidence there was no way this was gonna be over in time for the Olympics and is very unlikely that it's over by the end of the year.

First off, I think universities have to be safe enough to re-open. If you can't bring the students back to campus, how can you have a football season?

Secondly, conditions have to be safe enough to allow the players back into the facilities. Currently they are locked out.

Regarding postponing or canceling the season, it will be an NCAA decision for the entire FBS and FCS. Keep in mind that they are expecting a second wave of this virus in the fall.

IF we don't get this virus under control, I can't see how we can put football teams on planes and fly them to places like Rutgers (NJ), Syracuse (NY), Miami (FL), Houston (TX), LSU, Washington (Seattle), U of S Calif, UCLA and other hot spot areas.

How big is a football team traveling party? Over 100, correct? Can you imagine sending those 100 people to NJ and then potentially having them come back to campus and spreading the virus to the team and to the entire campus?

I also don't see how we could fill up 70,000+ football stadiums when the virus is so contagious.
not to mention all the tailgaters that would probably add 25,000 to that

This virus will mutate itself out... It constantly mutates, which is why it was discovered in the 50s and yet has no cure.

They have actually stated the opposite of this. It has been pretty stable. That is why they are implying a vaccine would be good for multiple years to protect against it.

I think it's very possible we don't have a football season, we aren't sure how the virus is going to react or spread come the summer. Practices are suppose to be during the summer and if they can't get the proper amount of practice in, the season will have to postponed or cancelled. Not just for the players, but to pack stadiums, all of the workers, refs, the works. Will this be under control by then? Who knows, but I don't think anyone can say it WILL and be confident.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT