ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Press Conference

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
He was asked repeatedly why Fant was not in the game and said they had in the personnel that had been playing the best. Kirk that is total BS. Cooper or Gruenewig should be on the field vs. Fant? Throwing to Cooper on a critical third down? Come on man, what the heck are you thinking?

I will admit that Fant plays soft, his effort sometimes seems lackluster but with his talent you have to be throwing him the ball. Brian is as much to blame. What the hell is he calling Tracy's number on a sweep inside the 20? Too much lateral passing, need to go vertical. Heck Northwestern had freshmen DB's playing because of injuries yet we did not try to exploit them, coaches should have learned something from Purdue last week. Brian, no screens, no draws, no passes down the seam to a TE. When they put 8 in the box you have to do more than throw it to the flat.

I have always supported Kirk but it gets harder every week. With all the bright offensive minds in football you choose your son as offensive coordinator and pay him over $600K, total BS. He has not paid his dues. Glad I stopped buying season tickets this year, watching on TV is brutal but freezing my ass off to watch this disaster would have been heart wrenching.

Kirk, your 149 wins is great but wonder how it feels to know that Fitzgerald owns you, Starting to look like Purdue's coach does too. With all the young coaches in the Big West, wonder what the future holds? 1 win and six losses in games decided by a touchdown or less in past two years, ouch. Shows you are playing not to lose and it isn't working.

Unfortunately a season that showed so much promise has been wasted and loyal Hawk fans will have suffer through another painful season, thinking about what could have been. Would like to say there is always basketball but I have a bad feeling about that also.

Enough complaining, it is only a game. In the grand scheme of things, we have our health, retired at the lake and have a new granddaughter to enjoy and spoil. Keep your chin up Hawk fans, it is a beautiful sunrise and life is good!

I didn't watch the video either but agree Kirk did not appreciate the questions. Saw Fant's video, he said I go in when I'm told to go in and do the best I can when the ball is thrown to me. You'll have to ask the coaches. Young man took the high road but you can tell he is not a happy camper.

You can tell Hockensen is Stanley's favorite receiver, which I understand since he catches everything coming his way. Hock is not as athletic as Fant but I do feel he is a better all around TE. With all that said, Fant can create mismatches down field that draws attention. Think I read, 8 Plays in second half, that is crazy.

Something has to of went on internally that we aren’t hearing. This is the DJK mantra from Kirk to Fant. No other way to see it... Kirk doesn’t care and never will when in his eyes a player is in the doghouse. It’s unfair to the young kid as he is a force out there. He may drop some balls but Stanley can barely throw it at times as well.

I'm sure the NFL scouts at the game were wondering what was happening as well. What does it say to incoming recruits?

It’s a negative all around... hopefully Someone leaks the info out. Kirk deserves the questions bc it’s finger to his team by not playing him. If it’s medical I understand.... if it’s a grudge then Kirk needs to be wiser just like he expects his seniors to be after four years.

The only thing I’ll say in defense of Kirk on this issues is that at times it looks like Fant is gassed.

Hey Gunner Hawk - what lake did you retire to? We’re looking to do the same thing.

You play the guy who has put the work in during the week. You have to do that as a coach, regardless of where you are coaching. Do any of you know who that is? If Fant is being outworked during the week, how do you defend playing him over others? I say this because it's a similar argument that Nebraska fans have as well. Frost plays the guys who earned it, even when fans sometimes feel he doesn't have the most athletic guy out there. I agree with the coach on this one though.

You play the guy who has put the work in during the week. You have to do that as a coach, regardless of where you are coaching. Do any of you know who that is? If Fant is being outworked during the week, how do you defend playing him over others? I say this because it's a similar argument that Nebraska fans have as well. Frost plays the guys who earned it, even when fans sometimes feel he doesn't have the most athletic guy out there. I agree with the coach on this one though.

That’s assuming Fant is a lazy bum during the week. Do we have proof of this?

That's not me just trolling because you're all pissed at Ferentz right now either. This is just one of those things (assuming people are playing based on how much effort they put in during practice) that wouldn't be towards the top of my list to get pissed about. Lack of creativity in the offensive playbook is what I'd be pissed about.

Reactions: blackbrd12
It’s not a matter of the most athletic guy. It’s a matter of a guy who holds the team record for all time TE receiving touchdowns as a junior versus guys who have little to no experience playing in critical situations at the D1 level.

Also, OP, in his extensive post, makes a great point. In a game where the coaching staff committed several errors, what in actual hell was with using one of Tyrone Tracy’s four games he’s eligible to play in if redshirting for a one play, -1 yard jet sweep?? If you’re going to use him, use him! Throw him a screen or try to get him the ball in space and see what he can do...

Kirk is petty. He has been this way for years, yall just didn’t notice it.

Look up who played last year against Purdue at home. All white boys from Nowhere, IA.

Beginning to think Kirk may be racist.

^^^^^This^^^^^

Been wondering myself. Hope that's not the case as recruiting will take a nose dive. Oh wait...

Reactions: IFlyEm
"We are playing the best guys out there for the given situation" Coach Ferentz. I guess 10 points at home is what was best for the "given situation." Coach Ferentz was definitely pissy with the questions, going so far as to correct the questioner as to how many yards the Iowa offense had. The questioner suggested that Iowa had around 300 yards of offense and Coach Ferentz corrected him with a 330 yard performance. It is an obvious that Coach Ferentz was trying to deflect the question as to why Fant was not on the field for more than 8 plays in the 2nd half. I would not be surprised to see Fant sit the rest of the season. He is obviously in Coach Ferentz doghouse and with the limited schedule left (2 games) and he is obviously turning pro after this season- there is not enough games left to get out of the doghouse. This scenario seems like the same one that played out during Jake's last season. In my opinion, the locker room is lost.

Last edited:
Kirk is petty. He has been this way for years, yall just didn’t notice it.

Look up who played last year against Purdue at home. All white boys from Nowhere, IA.

Beginning to think Kirk may be racist.

^^^^^This^^^^^

Been wondering myself. Hope that's not the case as recruiting will take a nose dive. Oh wait...

I've been saying this for years. I am not sure I would say Ferentz is outwardly racist. I do, however, think that he doesn't relate well with flash and personalities to a lot of the blue chip black athletes. DJK is a perfect example of that. He'd rather have lesser athletes that are easy to keep in line and work hard in practice.

Last edited:
Straight out of the KF apologists handbook.

He was asked repeatedly why Fant was not in the game and said they had in the personnel that had been playing the best. Kirk that is total BS. Cooper or Gruenewig should be on the field vs. Fant? Throwing to Cooper on a critical third down? Come on man, what the heck are you thinking?

I will admit that Fant plays soft, his effort sometimes seems lackluster but with his talent you have to be throwing him the ball. Brian is as much to blame. What the hell is he calling Tracy's number on a sweep inside the 20? Too much lateral passing, need to go vertical. Heck Northwestern had freshmen DB's playing because of injuries yet we did not try to exploit them, coaches should have learned something from Purdue last week. Brian, no screens, no draws, no passes down the seam to a TE. When they put 8 in the box you have to do more than throw it to the flat.

I have always supported Kirk but it gets harder every week. With all the bright offensive minds in football you choose your son as offensive coordinator and pay him over $600K, total BS. He has not paid his dues. Glad I stopped buying season tickets this year, watching on TV is brutal but freezing my ass off to watch this disaster would have been heart wrenching.

Kirk, your 149 wins is great but wonder how it feels to know that Fitzgerald owns you, Starting to look like Purdue's coach does too. With all the young coaches in the Big West, wonder what the future holds? 1 win and six losses in games decided by a touchdown or less in past two years, ouch. Shows you are playing not to lose and it isn't working.

Unfortunately a season that showed so much promise has been wasted and loyal Hawk fans will have suffer through another painful season, thinking about what could have been. Would like to say there is always basketball but I have a bad feeling about that also.

Enough complaining, it is only a game. In the grand scheme of things, we have our health, retired at the lake and have a new granddaughter to enjoy and spoil. Keep your chin up Hawk fans, it is a beautiful sunrise and life is good!
Ya, here's a what Ferentz really wanted to say

Well Fant's a fine tight end, BUT ...
1) Gotta be honest with you folks, can't always trust Noah in key situations (ex: Dropped ball against Northawestern in OT last year, not ready to play on goal-line interception against PSU this year, dropped balls this year).

2) Didn't really like da way he handled da drama with his family on twitter, and referred to da Iowa coaching staff as "pretty good".

3) He really seems to be more focused on his post-hawkeye NFL career.

4) I'll go with a blue-collar, hard working TJ Hockensen anyday. Iowa type of player, know I can count on him. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
We have maybe the worst WR group in the BIG and yet somehow we think we can afford to have Fant on the bench. Also where was B Smith? Then everybody wants to blame Stanley for checking down.

If this was true all the scout team players would be starting. At this level YOU PLAY THE ATHLETES THAT GIVE YOU THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN. NOT the ones that try the hardest at practice.

On a side note, if the ones practicing the hardest are contenders at their position they will end up meeting the criteria to play mentioned above.

Last edited:
Straight out of the KF apologists handbook.

I'm a Nebraska fan. I don't really have a dog in the fight when it comes to who is coaching at Iowa. I was trying to point out that overall lack of development of a modern offense would concern me more if I was an Iowa fan. Decisions on who plays and who sits get questioned at every school.

Reactions: GetOnTheLine
Completely agree. I ran the stats against PSU and Stanley was 2 for 17 when Fant, Hockenson and B Smith weren’t on the field (or any 2TEs and Smith). If that doesn’t indicate a personnel issue at WR I don’t know what will. Just look at the combinations that are on the field when those three aren’t.

I finally watched the post-game interviews this AM.

Fant - extremely classy and a team player. Wants to be out there, but not going to make it about "me".

Ferentz - ALWAYS been a strong supporter of Kirk, but this was an absolutely terrible interview with a lot of attitude. Arguing about 11 vs. 12 personnel was atrocious, but a great deflective tactic

This looked to be little or no emotion on the field. I get the coach can only get emotions of your players to a certain level, but you as coaches are responsible for calling the plays letting the players use their physical abilities to win a game.

This team had a chance going into the game to still win the West. Don't tell us you are not watching scoreboards knowing Wisconsin lost and Purdue was getting drilled. I know the response will be that "we don't watch the scoreboard", but you are being paid to win. You are handcuffing this team like Dean Smith did to Michael Jordan.

Leistikow - great job trolling Fant when those questions should be addressed to Kirk. Grill the individuals that are responsible for what personnel is on the field. IMO, you badgering Fant is a way for you to say on your podcast that asked the hard questions. Too bad it wasn't to a decision maker.

We have maybe the worst WR group in the BIG and yet somehow we think we can afford to have Fant on the bench. Also where was B Smith? Then everybody wants to blame Stanley for checking down.
How many times did replays show receivers getting open but Stanley didn’t see them because of how quickly he goes through his progression?

IS-M, Brandon Smith, and Nick Easley are at least an average Big Ten receiving corps (and become even bigger threats when Hockenson and Fant attract as much attention as they do). IMO, most of our passing struggles fall on Stanley who just doesn’t look comfortable in the pocket at all right now

How many times did replays show receivers getting open but Stanley didn’t see them because of how quickly he goes through his progression?

IS-M, Brandon Smith, and Nick Easley are at least an average Big Ten receiving corps (and become even bigger threats when Hockenson and Fant attract as much attention as they do). IMO, most of our passing struggles fall on Stanley who just doesn’t look comfortable in the pocket at all right now

This is the main problem. And it's so frustrating.
Players are always just about to get open when Stanley moves on and dumps, and this happens to Fant quite a bit, but it happens to all the receivers. They just need a QB that can stick with a play, buy himself another second, and have the trust and will to MAKE A PLAY.

Conversely, how often have we seen Fant fight for position, or fight for a ball? It's a big criticism of his game. As example, his lack of effort on the pass interference play almost kept the flag from coming out. That is frustrating. Perhaps a reason why Stanley is so skittish about allowing the receivers to make a play. Perhaps why they ran that endzone play to Cooper (nevermind how he botched it).

But really, it all comes back to Stanley. As long as he isn't making plays, or as long as his head is preventing him from trying, he should be sharing time at this point in the season. There needs to be an open competition for the job, and writing needs to be on the wall for these players going into 2019. Iowa needs a mobile QB, anyone that can buy a few seconds and make a play off schedule. That's always been the thing.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT