ADVERTISEMENT

Krysten Sinema switching to Independent

Yeah but those Independents are mostly R-leaning and D-leaning Independents. With a tiny number of exceptions - all in New England, I think - they rarely vote for Independent candidates.

Of course that could change. If enough big names go Independent we might see something different. Yet I still think most Indies will choose between D and R, and won't identify as belonging to the same tribe in any meaningful way.
That's due in large part because they have to. It is very hard in this system for an Independent candidate to be viable.

If a democrat doesn’t run she wins, if not then the republican wins, so like people have said above do the democrats want the seat or not. I’d vote for Sinema and a lot of my conservative friends here in AZ have said the same
Kelly just won re-election. Hobbs is the governor. The SoS is a Dem. That isn’t purely because the Republicans ran crappy candidates. A good Dem candidate could supplant her. If you are right then some Republicans would also vote for a good Dem in a three way race in 2024.

She will be making a very comfortable living sitting on the boards of all the Wall Street firms that have been paying her to prevent the Democrats from raising their taxes.
Sinema voted with Democrats to pass the Inflation Reduction Act, which establishes a 15% minimum corporate tax.

I would bet good money that if the Republicans win the Senate in 2024, as the map says they likely will, she will decide that she's more of a Republican and will caucus with them (and keeps her committee seats).
She may have that in mind, but why would the Rs reward her when they could reward a "good" Republican?

We should all be celebrating this but instead the usual party mouthpieces immediately go on attack.
The less power the 2 parties have the better, even if it's just small moves like this.
And absolutely would.

Fight the two party system, with a bought and sold politician. Effing hilarious.

On HORT's behalf, I volunteer to convert Sinema and Gabbard back to fully heteroid. Who is sending the three of us to Hawaii? I will upload on only fans using my id, grabembythep. The video will last a few femtoseconds. Please look that up ;)

Maybe but I doubt it. You are doing what the Republicans are doing and basically accusing her of not being honest simply because they don't see things exactly your way all of the time.

I don't think she starts caucusing with the Republicans just cause they have the majority. If she starts doing that she may find herself in a situation where neither side trusts her inside and outside of the senate and she's on the outs of everything.
I think you're being naive. Why is she announcing this a few days after Georgia's special election, and not earlier?

Dems are going to split their vote and hand the AZ seat to the Republicans it sounds like. Too bad they are just like Republicans in that they expect everyone to fall in line.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Worth thinking about. But if she isn't popular, it may be better to reload with someone new.

It may depend on whether the R crazies get put in their place over the next couple of years. There's certainly an effort now to suppress the Extreme Right and Trump types. But my guess is that at best they just swap Trump for a less obnoxious zealot on the right, and the crazies remain strong.

Not popular among the D base. . . but what about the general election?

Dems are playing a stupid game in a critical swing state if they run someone against her.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
There is already a critical mass of independent voters.

• As of October 2022, 48 million registered voters in these areas identified themselves as Democrats. At 38.78%, Democrats represented the single largest share of registered voters in the states and territories that allow voters to indicate partisan affiliation on their registration forms.
  • A total of 36.4 million registered voters identified themselves as Republicans, representing 29.42% of registered voters in these areas.
  • A total of 35.3 million registered voters identified themselves as independents or unaffiliated with any political party. This amounted to 28.55% of registered voters in these areas.
  • Approximately 4 million registered voters identified themselves as members of other political parties. This amounted to 3.25% of registered voters in these areas.
candidates.

Yep, because no critical mass no money
It's chicken/egg. There's no "Independent Party" to support Independent candidates. The only one in recent memory that had support was Ross Perot and that was largely self funded. The massive amounts of monies that go to the two main parties largely prevents a third party from emerging - and that's by design.

Not popular among the D base. . . but what about the general election?

Dems are playing a stupid game in a critical swing state if they run someone against her.

If a Republican wins her Senate seat in 2024, Sinema will be the only one to blame. She was a constant roadblock for numerous things Biden campaigned on and even killed one of the most popular items (HR1). Then when it became clear she is getting primaried and most likely lose the nomination, she switches Independent and muddies the water for a Democratic nominee.

Run an actual Democrat against her in the general even if it costs them her seat. This Karen shouldn't be rewarded for her selfish behavior.

Everybody hates her. She's another phony Green Party Grifter who figured out at some point playing to the millionaires and billionaires was fun and profitable.

You guys truly are entertaining to watch. Four years ago you were ecstatic that she beat McSally to flip a Senate seat in a traditionally red state. Now in 2022, even before today's announcement, you've branded her a 'loser', a 'phony', and a 'sellout'.

This woman has voted in line with the rest of her party 93.1% of the time - more than Bernie Sanders (91.4%). More than either one of the senators from Nevada (Rosen and Cortez Masto are both 91.5%). More than Jon Tester of Montana (89.8%).

You guys demand absolute, unwavering fealty to the party and anything less gets you the Nicky Santoro treatment.

Good for her. Hope it stymies the plan of Democrats destroying America.

Sinema has voted in line with Biden's position 93.1% of the time. Sanders has done so 91.4% of the time.

And that voting record doesn’t tell the whole story. I’m not recalling Sanders holding up major Democratic legislative priorities, which was the point of my post. Certainly Angus King hasn’t.

Really what changes is that she no longer has to worry about the primary but skips right to the general where the Dems are forced into a choice of either running someone against her and guaranteeing that whatever Republican crazy person gets the nomination wins that senate seat for the next 6 years or not running against her and she has a strong chance of winning it on her own.
Really kind of genius on her part, good analysis.

And that voting record doesn’t tell the whole story. I’m not recalling Sanders holding up major Democratic legislative priorities, which was the point of my post. Certainly Angus King hasn’t.
She held up the Inflation Reduction Act until Dems agreed to implement a 1% excise tax on corporate stock buybacks instead of closing the carried interest loophole. Then she voted for the bill.

What else has she held up?

Keeps her from getting tossed in a primary.

D’s won’t run against her as it’d give the seat to the R’s. Split the D vote

Smart move

She held up the Inflation Reduction Act until Dems agreed to implement a 1% excise tax on corporate stock buybacks instead of closing the carried interest loophole. Then she voted for the bill.

What else has she held up?
Jesus dude, I’m not going to argue with you. If you believe Sinema has been as reliable for the Ds as Angus King and Bernie Sanders then fine.

Jesus dude, I’m not going to argue with you. If you believe Sinema has been as reliable for the Ds as Angus King and Bernie Sanders then fine.
You stated that she has held up major Democratic legislative priorities and I simply asked for some examples. I'm not sure why you consider that an unreasonable request.

Increase in the federal minimum wage:

giphy.gif

Increase in the federal minimum wage:

giphy.gif
Seven other Democrats also voted no on that amendment, including both senators from Delaware and both senators from New Hampshire.

Also, you gotta admit that cheerleader skirt is kinda sexy.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
This seems like it shouldn't be allowed until a person is next up for election. What if Dems hadn't held Georgia?
I only recall one senator resigning his seat because he switched parties. That was Phil Gramm from Texas. He was a democrat and switched to the GOP. He resigned and then ran as a Republican (and obviously won).

She is the definition of a Corporate Democrat and has/had a pathetically low approval rating among Democrats in Arizona. This change only means she gets destroyed in the general and not the primary, which is good for the country.
She’s what all politicians should strive to be.

• Haha
Reactions: TC Nole OX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT