ADVERTISEMENT

Kueter or Hill?

Kueter and Arnold both should be in the lineup for Big Ten's JMO.

Different situations. At 184, with a great draw, Gabe might AA. That would garner us 7-10 points maybe? Gabe’s a career guy and if he wants to give it 4 shots at his best weight, I say they stick to that plan. Kueter is wrestling at the weight he is going to be. If he doesn’t AA, at least he’ll know what his issues are against the better guys. You hate to use this time as “development” but with him, I don’t think you have the choice.

You absolutely can not make a decision based on this I suppose but what are the odds that Hill walks if Kueter goes? Hill is not exactly an elite talent but I honestly would not be shocked if at least 6 other teams in big conferences would not take him. I think he's got a lot to offer over the next three years.
Theres plenty of hills out there. I dont think he hangs with kueter and i hont believe hill woupd of won against okie state.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I have a really bad source that tells me that too. It’s just my intuition.
Ive heard the same. I also have a good friend who played for ferentz. 3 yr starting O lineman thats still very connected to FB program. He says kueter is having difficulty adjusting to D1 football. I think this is evident without getting a minute on field. This is good news for our wrestling program if true. Again IF true.

I think this is evident without getting a minute on field.

Not even close.

All you have to do is look at the LB's that were ahead of him on the depth chart.

Skilled veterans with a ton of experience compared to kid that just got out of high school.

Zero chance he played linebacker. Zero.

Only chance to get on the field would have been special teams.

Regardless you put Hill in the coaches rankings to allocate at HWT. Putting Ben is does nothing for allocations. If Ben goes in the coaches rankings the Big 10 would lose a spot. But if you put Ben in the coaches rankings and he gets hurt before big 10 then you screw Hill

Reactions: Inthecircle
Not even close.

All you have to do is look at the LB's that were ahead of him on the depth chart.

Skilled veterans with a ton of experience compared to kid that just got out of high school.

Zero chance he played linebacker. Zero.

Only chance to get on the field would have been special teams.
Well they had 11 wins i believe and didnt sniff time at all anywhere. With the new rules to allow true freshman to play, it just seems a little odd that he didn’t see a second on the field. I trust my friend that’s very close to the program.

Reactions: ibahwkfan
Well they had 11 wins i believe and didnt sniff time at all anywhere. With the new rules to allow true freshman to play, it just seems a little odd that he didn’t see a second on the field. I trust my friend that’s very close to the program.

You must not watch Iowa football.

11 wins? You bet, can't argue with that.

However, most of the games were extremely tight and won or lost in the 4th quarter.

Hardly the time to pull one of your all conference starters for a true freshman.

However, most of the games were extremely tight and won or lost in the 4th quarter.

Hardly the time to pull one of your all conference starters for a true freshman.

There were 4-5 games with huge lead or deficit. This is when typical future starters grab time. He didnt see a play. And fyi i watch every game. So yes i do watch herkey!

Reactions: Lambertt

He didn’t even play special teams despite having the profile of a bad ass special teamer. My take is the talent is there, it just might take some time.

We have a whole different group of S&C people than we had then, unfortunately.

IIRC, not even the wrestling S&C staff was responsible for Beatty. For whatever reason, they were not capable so it fell to Chris Doyle and crew.

Agreed, VV has zero O against anyone with a pulse. So irritating watching him get in deep time and again, only to not be able to finish.
That kid would be very very good if he could finish. I’m sure someone will be working that in the offseason if he ever wants to start. Going to be very competitive if he can ever finish those TDs.

You absolutely can not make a decision based on this I suppose but what are the odds that Hill walks if Kueter goes? Hill is not exactly an elite talent but I honestly would not be shocked if at least 6 other teams in big conferences would not take him. I think he's got a lot to offer over the next three years.
Hill stepped in when we found out Cass wasn't allowed to. Did a rather nice job. RS freshman. Read an article that said he always wanted to be a Hawk. Sad that our two really good freshmen are same weights as underclassmen who are starters and improving. Not like other sports where both could see action. Probably my opinion and not that of others.

Hill stepped in when we found out Cass wasn't allowed to. Did a rather nice job. RS freshman. Read an article that said he always wanted to be a Hawk. Sad that our two really good freshmen are same weights as underclassmen who are starters and improving. Not like other sports where both could see action. Probably my opinion and not that of others.

Hill has the potential to develop into a very good HWY by his junior and senior year. Both guys came from the same club and have spent a lot of time on the mat together so they both know “what’s up.” I am guessing this type of situation was game-planned by both of them and either is good with whatever call Tom makes.

He didn’t even play special teams despite having the profile of a bad ass special teamer. My take is the talent is there, it just might take some time.

IIRC, not even the wrestling S&C staff was responsible for Beatty. For whatever reason, they were not capable so it fell to Chris Doyle and crew.
That is the "people" I was referring to. That was a big loss for football especially, but some other sports as well in a few instances.

he is probably going hard in the room with Hill, Cass and Warner. Ben looked to be in decent wrestling shape at Okie State. I think he’ll look even better by Big Tens.
I’d have him seeded 5, 6 or 7 at BT? I’d rather see him against Feldman or the 4 seed in the quarters. Feldman is probably the 2 seed with his win over Davison.
He can set up a good run at Nationals if he places above Davison and Feldman.

Kudos to Hill on a very good year. He showed improvement week to week.

Last edited:
Kueter and Arnold both should be in the lineup for Big Ten's JMO.
Arnold, definitely not at this point. While Arnold at 184 helps this year, is it the difference? Probably not. Arnold is a potential multiple-time national champ, but not likely throwing him in up a weight where he himself said he is not comfortable as a true freshman with only 3 matches of experience. If Arnold was going to be the guy this year, he should have been wrestling 174 all year. At this point, it's much better to keep his shirt and give him 4 shots at 174.

Too bad none of us can predict the future. I bet if we knew PSU was going to have a bad tourney and only beat us by 10 points, we'd all agree, we wish Gabe had wrestled. I know, I know, when was the last time PSU had a bad tourney? My response to that is, they are due!

Agree on Kueter for all the reasons mentioned but I think a redshirt is clearly in Gabe’s best interest. Let him go for four years at his natural weight rather than trying to push him into a weight where he is clearly outmatched size wise.
It’s not a slam dunk Gabe makes the tournament team next year with Kennedy, Brands, and Ferrari fighting it out for 174/184.

Big Ben should be wrestling at Bigs for sure. Not sure on what to think about Gabe. I love Gabe and what the future holds for him but 184 is a tall task for him. Is he capable yes but I just want what’s best for Gabe.
So, stop talking about him going at 184 if you want what’s best for him, eh? That’s what’s best for Gabe, imo.

Reactions: Reymundo
So, stop talking about him going at 184 if you want what’s best for him, eh? That’s what’s best for Gabe, imo.
What if Brands beats Gabe out at 174 next year and Angelo and Glazier are battling it out at 184 bc AJ is manning 197. That red-shirt sure would be nice to have next year if(I get it, it's an if) that plays out that way or a number of other ways.

Here is what we know. We have a 3rd string 165 pounder wrestling 184. I think Riggins can still jump levels and be a AA contender by his junior or senior year. Nothing against him but it would be extremely surprising if he qualified at 184 this year, let alone score any points at NCAA's.
Again, this is what we know as of right now. Next year we return 165 and 174 who both have legit shots at being AA's. We also know Angelo Ferrari is coming in next year. It's also assumed Nelson Brands will be coming back at 174/184. Also assumed Glazier will be back. I believe the plan is to still try and get AJ on board as long as he keeps out of trouble.
The cupboard is bare this year at 184. We have options next year. I say wrestle Gabe at 184 if he is willing to do it for the team. Like I said in a previous post. If Gabe's ultimate goal is to be an Olympic Champ, which I would be it is. He's going to need to get use to the weight bc I don't see him making 74kg.

Asking, not knowing. Did Kueter play in more than 4 games this year for football? If not he qualified for a RS there.

I think if he wants to wrestle and is beating Hill in the room then he goes this year and the next three then his RS Senior year of football has no wrestling after and prepares for the draft. I think the plan seems logical, assuming no major injuries and he doesn't have a breakout football season where he'd be a top two or three round draft pick from here to there.

Will say Iowa is in a great position to have this debate. As half of the programs in the nation would love to have either of these guys right now.

Big Ben should be wrestling at Bigs for sure. Not sure on what to think about Gabe. I love Gabe and what the future holds for him but 184 is a tall task for him. Is he capable yes but I just want what’s best for Gabe.
I see what you did there. Kudos.

Reactions: PotentiallyDan
As am I. All I'm saying is next year we have a lot of options 165-184. So many options that a AA type guy or 2 will need to redshirt or burn a year.
I hear ya. But, I still think what is best for Gabe himself is to wait a year and go for it at his ideal weight with more experience under his belt. From strictly a team perspective for ONLY this season, I don’t think anyone would argue the Gabe wouldn’t be the best choice at 184.

But, in the long run I absolutely think it is better for both the team and Iowa if Gabe is eligible the next 4 years after this one…

I hear ya. But, I still think what is best for Gabe himself is to wait a year and go for it at his ideal weight with more experience under his belt. From strictly a team perspective for ONLY this season, I don’t think anyone would argue the Gabe wouldn’t be the best choice at 184.

But, in the long run I absolutely think it is better for both the team and Iowa if Gabe is eligible the next 4 years after this one…
I mostly agree it's best for Gabe. I do not agree it's best for the team. I do see your points though. This year no one is burning a year by riding the pine. Next year someone will be burning a year riding the pine. That's my argument. I hate seeing AA's losing a year.

If we had Brands or Assad at 184 you absolutely RS GA. If you have no NQ at the weight you wrestle one that will. Smoke em while you got them. The days of conserving red shirts should be a thing of the past. We have HS kids beating the #1 ranked guys in college. PUT YOUR BEST TEAM ON THE MAT.

Reactions: PotentiallyDan
What if Iowa has Ben wrestle this year. Is AJ big enough to go heavyweight next year?
And then next year they redshirt Keuter
157- PK
165-Caliendo
174- Gabe
184- Nelson
197- Glazier
HVY- AJ Ferrari

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT