ADVERTISEMENT

Kueter or Hill?

If we had Brands or Assad at 184 you absolutely RS GA. If you have no NQ at the weight you wrestle one that will. Smoke em while you got them. The days of conserving red shirts should be a thing of the past. We have HS kids beating the #1 ranked guys in college. PUT YOUR BEST TEAM ON THE MAT.
Doesn’t send a good message if he doesn’t think it’s in his best interest. Don’t think the coaches are dictating this.

Reactions: el dub
If we had Brands or Assad at 184 you absolutely RS GA. If you have no NQ at the weight you wrestle one that will. Smoke em while you got them. The days of conserving red shirts should be a thing of the past. We have HS kids beating the #1 ranked guys in college. PUT YOUR BEST TEAM ON THE MAT.
Our best team is Gabe at 174. But since that's not happening (and Kennedy is having a great year) - you redshirt him.

He's not a 184, and wouldn't place. That's a wasted year with a guy in the wrong weight.

What if Iowa has Ben wrestle this year. Is AJ big enough to go heavyweight next year?
And then next year they redshirt Keuter
157- PK
165-Caliendo
174- Gabe
184- Angelo
197- Glazier
HVY- AJ Ferrari
You left out Brands
Yeah, if Brands is back at all, in this case, it's much more likely that Angelo shirts for a year while Brands goes 184. I'm not convinced Brands will be back, though, and the track record for 7th+ year seniors in college wrestling is less than stellar.

The bigger issue than that is PK at 157? Are you guys still clinging to Skeletor PK at 157? That seems like a stretch.

Reactions: wrestlecrazy
Yeah i completely forgot about Brands at 184. That would be better and let Angelo redshirt. Maybe siebrecht will man 157 if ne comes back with Brands.

Angelo redshirting next season makes the most sense, and also acts as really good insurance for 165/174/184 in case of injury. He could be AA material at any of those weights IMO.

What if Iowa has Ben wrestle this year. Is AJ big enough to go heavyweight next year?
157- PK
165-Caliendo
174- Gabe
184- Nelson
197- Glazier
HVY- AJ Ferrari
Why redshirt a guy who probably will only be around the program for four years?

The lineup I'm hoping for:

125 - Ayala
133 - McGonagle
141 - Block
149 - Rathjen
157 - Anthony Ferrari
165 - Caliendo
174 - Arnold
184 - Brands
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter

I want NOTHING to do with AJ at 197, and Glazier has been great thus far. Willing to give Anthony a chance, as long as he doesn't show his azz (literally) again.

Kennedy is on the bench unless he wants to cut to 157 and Angelo RS.

125 - Ayala
133 - McGonagle
141 - Block
149 - Rathjen
157 - Anthony Ferrari
165 - Caliendo
174 - Arnold
184 - Brands
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter

I want NOTHING to do with AJ at 197, and Glazier has been great thus far. Willing to give Anthony a chance, as long as he doesn't show his azz (literally) again.

You tell Kennedy that.

Reactions: Wadukester

125 - Ayala
133 - McGonagle
141 - Block
149 - Rathjen
157 - Anthony Ferrari
165 - Caliendo
174 - Arnold
184 - Brands
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter

Mcgonagle? Like the kid from Lehigh? I get that he's behind Crookham and has a year left and may portal out, but is there any reason to believe he'd come to Iowa? Also, his results are pretty good, but he's never done anything nationally.

The temptation for PK to portal out if he can't beat Caliendo or Gabe will be strong. He has as much or less eligibility left than either of those guys and they seem like lifers at their weights. It's weird since his brother just committed, but I doubt he'll be OK with being resigned to being a room guy for multiple years after (likely) being an AA this year.

Reactions: MitchLL and vhsalum
Mcgonagle? Like the kid from Lehigh? I get that he's behind Crookham and has a year left and may portal out, but is there any reason to believe he'd come to Iowa? Also, his results are pretty good, but he's never done anything nationally.

The temptation for PK to portal out if he can't beat Caliendo or Gabe will be strong. He has as much or less eligibility left than either of those guys and they seem like lifers at their weights. It's weird since his brother just committed, but I doubt he'll be OK with being resigned to being a room guy for multiple years after (likely) being an AA this year.
Well I’m a Lehigh fan and this is news that I haven’t heard until now.

Reactions: TarpHawk

125 - Ayala
133 - McGonagle
141 - Block
149 - Rathjen
157 - Anthony Ferrari
165 - Caliendo
174 - Arnold
184 - Brands
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter

Siebrecht at 57, heard he has taken a big leap. Ferrari probably not beating him out. But could also be just rumors

Nelson just turned 25 a couple of weeks ago.

I doubt this man will return next year.
There are plenty of people in college at that age who are working on post graduate degrees. I have no idea what his area(s) of study may be, but if that is in Nelson's plan, he should go for it.

157- PK
165-Caliendo
174- Gabe
184- Angelo
197- Glazier
HVY- AJ Ferrari

LOL.

You're not wrong. Kennedy/Arnold is going to be a thing next year. That's why i would LOVE for him to go 157. Cuz one of them is on the bench next year.
OR one could wrestle this year and RS next year.

The evidence is slapping you right in the face—he did not participate in senior day. He will wrestle next year if the NCAA allows.

Once again:

"Time will tell. Things happen. Plenty of time until next season."

He's married. Does he still wrestle if his wife gets pregnant? He gets a job opportunity he can't refuse?

He will wrestle next year

You are assuming.

Once again:

"Time will tell. Things happen. Plenty of time until next season."

He's married. Does he still wrestle if his wife gets pregnant? He gets a job opportunity he can't refuse?

You are assuming.

lol

Stop It Neil Patrick Harris GIF

It would be great if Kueter could have hit an open or two to get a few more matches if the plan is for him to go.

He sees better competition in the room every day than he would see at the Loras Open. Waste of time.

125: Cruz
133: Ayala
141: Block
149: Seibrecht
157: Calindo
165: PK
174: Brands or Gabe
184: Gabe or Transfer
197: Glazier
Her: Kueter

I think AJ’s shop has sailed. Middle Ferrari might be in the same boat. Youngest Ferrari is completely on board and might go 184 right out of the gate as well.

Reactions: el dub
125: Cruz
133: Ayala
141: Block
149: Seibrecht
157: Calindo
165: PK
174: Brands or Gabe
184: Gabe or Transfer
197: Glazier
Her: Kueter

I think AJ’s shop has sailed. Middle Ferrari might be in the same boat. Youngest Ferrari is completely on board and might go 184 right out of the gate as well.

Cruz? Yeesh. Surely they can do better.

Kennedy is not losing to Arnold. I am not sure why everyone keeps saying Arnold is beating Kennedy with no evidence to support it.

I agree the best team is with Kennedy, Caliendo and Arnold wrestling, I am not convinced Kennedy is the one sitting.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
Kennedy is not losing to Arnold. I am not sure why everyone keeps saying Arnold is beating Kennedy with no evidence to support it.

I agree the best team is with Kennedy, Caliendo and Arnold wrestling, I am not convinced Kennedy is the one sitting.

I think it’s largely up for debate but I get why people favor Arnold. In his first semester in the room as a true frosh he took out 2 former AAs, including 1 up a weight. Kennedy hasn’t beaten anyone of that caliber in nearly a full year,
and has been getting pounded when given the opportunity.

Cruz? Yeesh. Surely they can do better.
Cruz needs to get stronger. This is an example of what we need to do, to get better as a team.
He got to his offense against Barnett. He wasn’t strong enough to finish. Cruz didn’t have any physical definition, let’s hope he works hard and gets it going.

Reactions: Greenheadhawk

Is that what they are saying? I believe you. But I also think practice against someone you see a lot vs under the lights against a guy from another team is different. If this were the 80s with the way they called stalling, I would agree. Kennedy has some real good offense but the longer, more physical guys can score against him and run away and hide the rest of the match with the way they call stalling these days.

Gabe is much harder to score against, can get out of scrambly situations and go out and get a score when he needs it. Kennedy would have given up the major in the third against OSU 184 imo…it’s in his nature to try and score points which is why we like him.

That’s the paradox of being an Iowa wrestler. Do you keep it close like Gabe did for the team against a stud or do you try and shoot a bunch in the third when you are physically outmatched? If you don’t take shots, fans get after you. If you take shots and get beat 15-5 or get planted taking a chance, fans get after you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT