ADVERTISEMENT

Kueter!!!

Great to see. Balancing sports is tough. Optimal scenario in my head from the start has been a schedule like this (ie spring ball and some of summer) for 3 years while wrestling full time in the fall and winter, and then retiring from wrestling and going onto football fulltime for that 5th year and getting drafted.

This is great news. It's always helpful that Kirk's word is basically gold with NFL coaches too. Even if he doesn't end up playing football at Iowa and does wrestle full time from here on out he is one call from Kirk away from an NFL try out and an honest assessment of what he'd need to do at that point to still try his hand at pro football.

Good for kueter I didn’t think he would be top 4 while trying to also do football not he’s got legit status. Battles are gonna be fun with him, feldman, mirasola and hopke.

Pretty exciting news! Hopefully he wins worlds again and decides he has an extremely bright and fruitful future in wrestling (not at all saying he doesn’t in football).

Will be interesting to see if he goes back after the 10 month break.
Too much money on the line to give up that quickly, but he did seem happy about the Gable NFL situation, and basically said he knows the in and out of football already ( much better than the last wrestlers to try to make the switch).

Great news. Can't wait to see what he can do next year now that he is going full time. He can scramble better than Cass which by the way is he getting back in next year and going 97?

Reactions: el dub
Too much money on the line to give up that quickly, but he did seem happy about the Gable NFL situation, and basically said he knows the in and out of football already ( much better than the last wrestlers to try to make the switch).
I disagree only 1.6% of d1 football players are drafted into the NFL. Odds are already against him now you add skipping a year of football development to wrestle I just don’t see it working out. Kueter will make more in wrestling with NIL/HWC funds then he will in football.

People forget that Gable Steveson was signed to an undrafted rookie free agent contract. The Bills don’t have to pay him any money unless he makes the roster. They aren’t out anything bringing him to camp to check him out. The odds of him making the 52 man roster this year are slim to none, IMO.

I thought the leverage knowledge is said to be a major asset with the transfer from the mat to the gridiron...

i'll bet he sticks...

I disagree only 1.6% of d1 football players are drafted into the NFL. Odds are already against him now you add skipping a year of football development to wrestle I just don’t see it working out. Kueter will make more in wrestling with NIL/HWC funds then he will in football.
The odds are a LOT BETTER than 1.6% if you are on an SEC or Big TEN School or other Big Schools like Notre Dame. After LSU Won the NCAA Footbal Championship a few years ago. They had 14 Players Drafted by the NFL, Basically every Starter who was Eligible (I believe they have to play 3 Seasons to be eligible for the NFL Draft. That was A record, but still, your chances are better than 1.6%. Actuallly 15 is the Record https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...for,at 15 players in 2022.&text=2004 Miami ti

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
The odds are a LOT BETTER than 1.6% if you are on an SEC or Big TEN School or other Big Schools like Notre Dame. After LSU Won the NCAA Footbal Championship a few years ago. They had 14 Players Drafted by the NFL, Basically every Starter who was Eligible (I believe they have to play 3 Seasons to be eligible for the NFL Draft. That was A record, but still, your chances are better than 1.6%. Actuallly 15 is the Record https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2024-04-27/colleges-most-nfl-draft-picks-single-year#:~:text=Georgia holds the record for,at 15 players in 2022.&text=2004 Miami ti
Iowa averages around 4 players per year drafted. That is about 4.8% of their scholarship roster will be drafted, 3x higher than 1.6% but still not great.

As good of an athlete as he is I am sure he still has a legit chance if he wants it. It might be rare.. but it is not unheard of to star in the NFL without playing football in college.

People forget that Gable Steveson was signed to an undrafted rookie free agent contract. The Bills don’t have to pay him any money unless he makes the roster. They aren’t out anything bringing him to camp to check him out. The odds of him making the 52 man roster this year are slim to none, IMO.
Practice squad is my bet.

The odds are a LOT BETTER than 1.6% if you are on an SEC or Big TEN School or other Big Schools like Notre Dame. After LSU Won the NCAA Footbal Championship a few years ago. They had 14 Players Drafted by the NFL, Basically every Starter who was Eligible (I believe they have to play 3 Seasons to be eligible for the NFL Draft. That was A record, but still, your chances are better than 1.6%. Actuallly 15 is the Record https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2024-04-27/colleges-most-nfl-draft-picks-single-year#:~:text=Georgia holds the record for,at 15 players in 2022.&text=2004 Miami ti
Nice article, but hte percentage the other gent provided is correct; it's 1.6 percent.

How many D1 players go to the NFL?

At any one time, just over 16,000 are draft eligible, which is only 1.6% of that college player pool. And then only 259 players will be drafted. That is a minuscule 0.016% of the draft-eligible NCAA pool. It is awe-inspiring when you think of it.Apr 25, 2024

Reactions: vhsalum
Yes, a bit better if you're one of those schools where it's higher than 1.6%, but a bit worse if you're one of the school's that is lower. In the end the stat of 1.6% is correct and we'd have to go school by school to see who's better or worse. So for D1, your chances are as the gent indicated...1.6%.

What does this mean if Cass returns for another year? Has that rumor been squashed yet?

Reactions: Bobhaywood
Iowa averages around 4 players per year drafted. That is about 4.8% of their scholarship roster will be drafted, 3x higher than 1.6% but still not great.
That’s 4 guys each year of the guys who graduate or guys who declare for draft. Plus free agents. Is usually about 22 of these guys each year and I would say 15 either get drafted or get a shot in an NFL camp. So the percentages are actually very high that he’ll get a look if he makes it through the program.

Reactions: HawkAlum2002
This is great news! He is an elite D1 wrestler and we get see that develop.
When he goes back to football, running out on to the field in Kinnick, the Horseshoe, the Big House, etc is a dream come true. Playing on Saturdays in the big ten is a dream come true. Doing that and wrestling in Carver is more than a person could dream. Whether or not he goes to the NFL make no difference in this story.

Reactions: 12tdsaw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT