ADVERTISEMENT

Kueter!!!

While all these are true. The likelihood is very small. And also these examples are not recent. Do u think all the sport specialization has made it even more unlikely?

I think specialization has played a part, but then again multi-sport pro athletes have not been common.

On a side note, Ron Reed played basketball for Notre Dame and two or three seasons with the Pistons before going back to baseball and played 18 seasons in the MLB.

There was some more interesting tidbits Fellers provided on his show with Willie. HIGHLY recommend listening to it (Matscouts rokfin) Gable called Iowa and requested x amount of dollars before he fully committed to the Bills. Fellers also mentioned since there was a lack of partners Ben has in the room, he believes Iowa could bring in a cycle of high end guys to train with Ben. Willie mentioned they could bring in Gwiz or if Gable gets cut they could bring Gable in to train with him.

Jordan's baseball swing was long and slow. A well placed major league fastball would have sent him back to the minors very quickly. Defensively I'm sure he would have been just fine.

The loud pop is what you hear when you pull your head outta your ass.
Thought you were wishing him a career ending injury. Didn’t think you would be that guy.

Reactions: IAChief32
I think he’ll end up at UNCO. I’m just glad Angelo is staying a hawk and separated from his brothers.

I'd be SHOCKED if he ended up at UNCO... When he was telling coaches he had offers after the SS fiasco and that UNCO was one of them - Nickerson was not a happy person. He had some choice things to say about AJ

• Haha
Reactions: GableBeer
As did I - and while he may be a complete douche, the "pop" I first thought of wasn't of the pucker variety and that has no place in a semi-civilized discussion. I appreciated the definintion.
yeah. cuz in the streets getting popped means something COMPLETELY different than any of the above suggestions.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
I'd be SHOCKED if he ended up at UNCO... When he was telling coaches he had offers after the SS fiasco and that UNCO was one of them - Nickerson was not a happy person. He had some choice things to say about AJ
Kind of strange he would admit he wanted to go to Iowa before the SS, do camps in Iowa, have a recent post working out in Iowa wrestling room with Ben, and insinuating they are going to be a one two punch, and end up at a different school. I would think it was just AJ being delusional, but Ben posted the same stuff on his instagram. He also said he was taking other visits the first time around, but Iowa was the only one he put on social media.

Kind of strange he would admit he wanted to go to Iowa before the SS, do camps in Iowa, have a recent post working out in Iowa wrestling room with Ben, and insinuating they are going to be a one two punch, and end up at a different school. I would think it was just AJ being delusional, but Ben posted the same stuff on his instagram. He also said he was taking other visits the first time around, but Iowa was the only one he put on social media.
Just a guess (cuz i'm not an insider) - but multi-hawk said AJ wasn't doing what he needed to to wrestle for TNT.

Sounds like they gave him the boot. and yeah, he's screwed. NO ONE was touching him last year. He lied about who was, how much they offered him and that he was visiting schools. Exactly zero schools were recruiting AJ last year. He refuses to live in reality, and tbh, it's just sad. But it's also why he's a ticking time bomb. He's never faced ANY consequences for his actions, ever.

Just a guess (cuz i'm not an insider) - but multi-hawk said AJ wasn't doing what he needed to to wrestle for TNT.

Sounds like they gave him the boot. and yeah, he's screwed. NO ONE was touching him last year. He lied about who was, how much they offered him and that he was visiting schools. Exactly zero schools were recruiting AJ last year. He refuses to live in reality, and tbh, it's just sad. But it's also why he's a ticking time bomb. He's never faced ANY consequences for his actions, ever.
The whole thing is just bizarre. It is sad when a young person blessed with talents many people would die for, can’t get out of their own way in life.

Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
Which part about this situation ISN’T strange? Ben could have been getting his (mis) info from AJ, eh?

Whomever could have seen it as a stunt by Jerry Reinsdorf (Bulls and White Sox owners) to perhaps placate MJ while also providing an homage to Bill Veeck's showmanship (as a tall one, MJ, provided a good juxtaposition to Eddie Gaedel, Veeck's little person). In other words, not serious baseball.

It is beyond ridiculous to think MJ put himself out there like that and worked his ass off for that long to be Jerry’s sideshow act. lol…please…what an idiotic theory.

It’s also funny that a guy of Terry Francona’s status, who had a front row seat to the whole thing, has long contended MJ could have made the majors yet this board is like “meh…wasn’t going to happen.”

😂 Classic.

Terry Francona

You mean a guy just 3 years into a minor league managerial career looking to move up?

It's not too much of a stretch to think anything he might say would aim to feed Reinsdorf's agenda while also not wanting to make it look like MJ's engagement was farcical, lest he lose the respect of real ballplayers.

Also, I wrote MJ was honoring his father. Reinsdorf simply capitalized on it.

Last edited:
It is beyond ridiculous to think MJ put himself out there like that and worked his ass off for that long to be Jerry’s sideshow act. lol…please…what an idiotic theory.

It’s also funny that a guy of Terry Francona’s status, who had a front row seat to the whole thing, has long contended MJ could have made the majors yet this board is like “meh…wasn’t going to happen.”

😂 Classic.
This side show cost Jerry’s team 3 NBA championships, so I doubt he enjoyed it.

You mean a guy just 3 years into a minor league managerial career looking to move up?

It's not too much of a stretch to think anything he might say would aim to feed Reinsdorf's agenda while also not wanting to make it look like MJ's engagement was farcical, lest he lose the respect of real wallpapers.

Also, I wrote MJ was honoring his father. Reinsdorf simply capitalized on it.

No. I mean the guy who won nearly 2,000 games as a major league manager, 5 division titles, 3 AL manager of the year awards, and 2 World Championships. The guy who contends to this day that MJ would have played the majors. He doesn’t owe Reinsdorf shit.

You not knowing this just makes your theory even more dumb.

Tossing this into the first thread I opened here today. It’s off topic, but relevant to today’s date. Just a great and heroic Iowan who happened to end up coaching a certain school out east. We’re rivals, sure, but a thread over in the den where older guys are sharing war experiences puts all our petty differences into proper perspective.
(Oh, and glad to see Kueter putting full focus on wrestling. The next Kueter/Kerk should be epic)

Last point about Koll on today’s 80th anniversary of him storming the beach at Normandy:
Given the fact that in the 72 collegiate matches he wrestled (all wins), he surrendered a TOTAL of two reversals and one takedown, it’s reasonable to assume that had freshmen been permitted to wrestle in the NCAA tournament in the 1940s (he had already defeated 2-time NCAA champ during a freshman year dual), this Iowan (and Northern Iowa alum) would likely have been the first undefeated, 4-time champ . . . decades ahead of Cael.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and el dub
No. I mean the guy who won nearly 2,000 games as a major league manager, 5 division titles, 3 AL manager of the year awards, and 2 World Championships. The guy who contends to this day that MJ would have played the majors. He doesn’t owe Reinsdorf shit.

In due time, sure that's what he became. Of course everyone knows that.

But that wasn't who he was when he managed MJ. He was who I said he was.

You keep saying it's dumb, fine. You keep thinking for an SI puff piece he'd feel free piss on an old boss or his nascent manegerial career, even in retrospect, fine

Bosses are bosses, and if one owner saw him do it to another, even in retrospect, that would be one too many and an ill-advised career move, plain and simple.

In due time, sure that's what he became. Of course everyone knows that.

But that wasn't who he was when he managed MJ. He was who I said he was.

You keep saying it's dumb, fine. You keep thinking for an SI puff piece he'd feel free piss on an old boss or his nascent manegerial career, even in retrospect, fine

Bosses are bosses, and if one owner saw him do it to another, even in retrospect, that would be one too many and an ill-advised career move, plain and simple.

Good god, man. MJ worked his ass for 6 months and Francona is still covering for his boss 30 years later…all for a sideshow act?

Get. A. Grip.

Tinfoil Hat GIF by The Tick

MJ worked his ass for 6 months and Francona is still covering for his boss 30 years later

Yes, MJ worked, that is true.

And I said Francona maintained the story of his nascent career for his own purposes, of course not initially objecting to the boss in 1994.

And thirty years later in an SI nostalgic puff piece, Francona's praise of MJ was he believed in 2 more years MJ could've made a team as the 4th outfielder (and maybe started). But yeah, MJ and his 0.202 batting average was great for the Baron's home (and away game) attendance.

Funny thing is, when the strike came in 1995 and minor leaguers would've had to cross the picket line as replacements, MJ stepped awayed from his baseball venture.

It couldn't possibly be that Reinsdorf saw a future of MJ in the majors to boost White Sox attendance in a likely strike season. It couldn't possibly be that MJ saw how he might be used. Nah, people don't think like that. Such ideas are for those with tin hats.

Yes, MJ worked, that is true.

And I said Francona maintained the story of his nascent career for his own purposes, of course not initially objecting to the boss in 1994.

And thirty years later in an SI nostalgic puff piece, Francona's praise of MJ was he believed in 2 more years MJ could've made a team as the 4th outfielder (and maybe started). But yeah, MJ and his 0.202 batting average was great for the Baron's home (and away game) attendance.

Funny thing is, when the strike came in 1995 and minor leaguers would've had to cross the picket line as replacements, MJ stepped awayed from his baseball venture.

It couldn't possibly be that Reinsdorf saw a future of MJ in the majors to boost White Sox attendance in a likely strike season. It couldn't possibly be that MJ saw how he might be used. Nah, people don't think like that. Such ideas are for those with tin hats.

Except he’s maintained the story throughout. It wasn’t just something he claimed in 1994 and again in 2024. MJ’s overall numbers weren’t great but they were improving. You know…it isn’t easy to hit AA pitching when the last guy you faced was an 11 year old throwing off flat ground 45 feet away, 20 years earlier. Takes a little time to adjust. 😉

But the fact you think MJ was more valuable to Jerry in baseball uniform than a basketball one is just further evidence this theory is simply awful.

Except he’s maintained the story throughout.
Why say "except"? It is exactly my point that he would be expected to maintain his story as it's part of his legacy.

You know…it isn’t easy to hit AA pitching when the last guy you faced was an 11 year old throwing off flat ground 45 feet away, 20 years earlier. Takes a little time to adjust. 😉
Just as I know that if MJ was in the HS draft that year at that age, he wouldn't have been selected as a top prospect. But sure, he could've been drafted to boost minor league attendance and as a hedge for a strike year.

MJ was more valuable to Jerry in baseball uniform than a basketball one
Never said that. Never even implied it. Will say Reinsdorf likely wanted to maintain his relationship with MJ, in MJ's time of need, and if he could derive a benefit, in that it would be mutually beneficial to them both, then Reinsdorf would do it.

FYI 11 year olds don't pitch from 45ft or use 60ft diamonds these days except in official (and somewhat lame) little league. That distance is typically reserved for 10U in most places. And MJ last played in HS on 90ft bases.

Last edited:
There was some more interesting tidbits Fellers provided on his show with Willie. HIGHLY recommend listening to it (Matscouts rokfin) Gable called Iowa and requested x amount of dollars before he fully committed to the Bills. Fellers also mentioned since there was a lack of partners Ben has in the room, he believes Iowa could bring in a cycle of high end guys to train with Ben. Willie mentioned they could bring in Gwiz or if Gable gets cut they could bring Gable in to train with him.
Steveson wanted an insane amount of money. He played his hand wrong.

Why say "except"? It is exactly my point that he would be expected to maintain his story as it's part of his legacy.

Just as I know that if MJ was in the HS draft that year at that age, he wouldn't have been selected as a top prospect. But sure, he could've been drafted to boost minor league attendance and as a hedge for a strike year.

Never said that. Never even implied it. Will say Reinsdorf likely wanted to maintain his relationship with MJ, in MJ's time of need, and if he could derive a benefit, in that it would be mutually beneficial to them both, then Reinsdorf would do it.

FYI 11 year olds don't pitch from 45ft or use 60ft diamonds these days except in officual (and somewhat lame) little league. That distance is typically reserved for 10U in most places. And MJ last played in HS on 90ft bases.

I appreciate the correction on when MJ last played baseball. But lol otherwise.

Although Kueter is a world class athlete, he couldn't get on the field last year for Iowa. Given that fact, it is apparent that his natural talent by itself will not be enough to make an NFL squad unless he developes his football skills in College.

Well first I was speaking off the assumption he returns to football in a year. Not worried about a freshman not getting on the field.

How many college passes did Antonio Gates catch?

Well first I was speaking off the assumption he returns to football in a year. Not worried about a freshman not getting on the field.

How many college passes did Antonio Gates catch?
How many years did he play college football?

How many years did he play college football?

Zero

And yes you think you are making a point.

Not sure what your point is…you made a big statement about how he has to develop his football skills in college, as if concentration on another sport would make it impossible for him to be successful in the future in football…while ignoring the current info we have is that he actually intends to return to football in the future.

Ya…I threw out a crazy outlier…my point is none of us know what his future holds. Just tired of people that think they know shit about something that they have absolutely no knowledge about. In this case…simply what this kids future looks like.

Kind of like saying taking a safe bet in 88 that Herschel Walker would never compete in the Winter Olympics…like that would ever happen.

But you do you and determine his future for him on your keyboard.

Last edited:
Zero

And yes you think you are making a point.

Not sure what your point is…you made a big statement about how he has to develop his football skills in college, as if concentration on another sport would make it impossible for him to be successful in the future in football…while ignoring the current info we have is that he actually intends to return to football in the future.

Ya…I threw out a crazy outlier…my point is none of us know what his future holds. Just tired of people that think they know shit about something that they have absolutely no knowledge about. In this case…simply what this kids future looks like.

Kind of like saying taking a safe bet in 88 that Herschel Walker would never compete in the Winter Olympics…like that would ever happen.

But you do you and determine his future for him on your keyboard.
It’s just fans’ hopes and prayers. We like dreaming.

Could have made the majors and then been successful there are two vastly different things. There are countless numbers of players who can’t stay up once they get there. Not sure why that’s so hard to grasp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT