ADVERTISEMENT

Kueter!!!

I’m too lazy to do the math but I would bet a lot of money that the % of draft eligible starters from Iowa’s defense that make an NFL roster is way, way higher than 2%.

Obviously Keuter hasn’t yet shown that he is good enough to be a starter, but some of these posts are making a mockery of the statistics.

For instance we may only average 4 draft picks a year but that ignores the younger players on the team that will eventually go on to get drafted.

Also we have some positions on the team (mostly on offense) that rarely get drafted and others (mostly on defense) that get drafted frequently.

So dividing 4 draft picks by an 85 man roster is not the right way to assess whether Keuter will make money playing football.

Although to be fair, the % of 3rd string linebackers that make it to the NFL is probably fairly low, but I think it’s fair to say Keuter has better odds than our typical 3rd string linebacker…

I’m too lazy to do the math but I would bet a lot of money that the % of draft eligible starters from Iowa’s defense that make an NFL roster is way, way higher than 2%.

Obviously Keuter hasn’t yet shown that he is good enough to be a starter, but some of these posts are making a mockery of the statistics.

For instance we may only average 4 draft picks a year but that ignores the younger players on the team that will eventually go on to get drafted.

Also we have some positions on the team (mostly on offense) that rarely get drafted and others (mostly on defense) that get drafted frequently.

So dividing 4 draft picks by an 85 man roster is not the right way to assess whether Keuter will make money playing football.

Although to be fair, the % of 3rd string linebackers that make it to the NFL is probably fairly low, but I think it’s fair to say Keuter has better odds than our typical 3rd string linebacker…
I don’t think so WRT Kueter…and I think he’s an amazing talent. And frankly I think we’ve done pretty well on offense all things considered. We’re TE U just like PSU was LB U back in the 70s and 80s. Our TEs have done pretty well!

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Yes. I was just making a joke since Ben is obviously going hvy and it wouldn’t make sense for him to forgo football if Tony was coming back to hvy.

That’s what I thought. That is how stuff takes on a life of its own around here. Be careful. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: GableBeer
Think this will be great for Ben. He gets done in March and has a spring and summer to see where he is at in football. It doesn’t necessarily have to be an either/or situation. He can succeed in both.

His main issue in both is size and the amount of talent in the LB corps right now. He gets bigger, that should help him out in both.

My math says a guy that didn't play a single snap and was not in the 2deeps in spring ball has a low percentage of making a NFL roster.

Things could change but we should probably table the NFL talk for a while.

Two phenomenal athletes out of literally hundreds of thousands of potential D-1 football players over the last 3-4 decades. I'm not thinking those are very good odds if you are banking on it.
Don't forget about Brock Lesnar. He could've stuck around if he didn't chase more money through UFC and WWF. There's also a couple of basketball players who've done it.

Don't forget about Brock Lesnar. He could've stuck around if he didn't chase more money through UFC and WWF. There's also a couple of basketball players who've done it.
Lesnar was a good wrestler, but not Gable good. He also had the size and the personality to hit it big in WWE, which didn’t work for Gable. Nothing wrong with chasing money, but some people are just born to do something they are better at than 99% of other people and competitors. Like if Jordan stubbornly tried to avoid basketball to be a baseball player or golfer.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Lesnar was a good wrestler, but not Gable good. He also had the size and the personality to hit it big in WWE, which didn’t work for Gable. Nothing wrong with chasing money, but some people are just born to do something they are better at than 99% of other people and competitors. Like if Jordan stubbornly tried to avoid basketball to be a baseball player or golfer.
Terry Francona said Jordan would've made it as a baseball player had the strike not happened. I trust his opinion.

Besides Deion and Bo Jackson, has anyone else been important players in two different pro sports.

Brian Jordan. Had the best baseball career of all three as it turned out (although healthy Bo would've been a borderline HOFer). Only played three years with the Falcons alongside Deion but started 15 games each his last two years. He'd have been a Pro Bowler had he stuck with football.

Jordan might've been OK with more reps. Tebow would be the comparison and while slightly better than Jordan at AA, he wasn't AAA level and don't think Jordan would've been either.

Reactions: el dub
Brian Jordan. Had the best baseball career of all three as it turned out (although healthy Bo would've been a borderline HOFer). Only played three years with the Falcons alongside Deion but started 15 games each his last two years. He'd have been a Pro Bowler had he stuck with football.

Jordan might've been OK with more reps. Tebow would be the comparison and while slightly better than Jordan at AA, he wasn't AAA level and don't think Jordan would've been either.
I dialed up my local AI service and asked them questions from this thread. “MJ has amazing hand/eye coordination, being the common denominator of both sports.”

Reactions: SPOONER

Lesnar saw a few plays in two preseason games and was cut before the season started. Don’t know if he received any other offers or not. I would say that he stuck around as long as he was ever going to.

I think most people seriously underestimate the amount of skills and techniques needed to play on the line in the NFL. People like Neal, Haselrig, Antonio Gates, and Ross Travis are unicorns. And they all played football in high school, Gable did not. NFL roster cuts are littered with athletic freaks that played college football at a high level and weren't able to make it.

Do you think that an 23 year old NFL player that has never wrestled could switch and become a senior level Freestyle or Greco wrestler? Could it happen, yes. But is very unlikely.

Last edited:
Lesnar saw a few plays in two preseason games and was cut before the season started. Don’t know if he received any other offers or not. I would say that he stuck around as long as he was ever going to.

I think most people seriously underestimate the amount of skills and techniques needed to play on the line in the NFL. People like Neal, Haselrig, Antonio Gates, and Ross Travis are unicorns. And they all played football in high school, Gable did not. NFL roster cuts are littered with athletic freaks that played college football at a high level and weren't able to make it.

Do you think that an 23 year old NFL player that has never wrestled could switch and become a senior level Freestyle or Greco wrestler? Could it happen, yes. But is very unlikely.
Brock Lesnar is also a unicorn.

Tossing this into the first thread I opened here today. It’s off topic, but relevant to today’s date. Just a great and heroic Iowan who happened to end up coaching a certain school out east. We’re rivals, sure, but a thread over in the den where older guys are sharing war experiences puts all our petty differences into proper perspective.
(Oh, and glad to see Kueter putting full focus on wrestling. The next Kueter/Kerk should be epic)

Brock was offered a chance to be allocated to NFL Europe had he chosen to continue. He declined because he sued over his no compete clause from WWE (a ten year clause that wasn't deemed fair) and won, so he was allowed to wrestle again and did for New Japan wrestling. That led to his K-1 MMA fight which he won and then signing with UFC. Had he not been able to wrestle again I think there is a decent chance he keeps playing football but we'll never know.

Reactions: Stephen Hawk King
Besides Deion and Bo Jackson, has anyone else been important players in two different pro sports.
Danny Ainge - pretty good baseball player for the Blue Jays until he stopped and went to play for the Celtics. I believe he was also a highly rated QB in high school. Dave DeBusschere pitched for the White Sox and basketball with the Knicks. While he did not play it professionally or in college, Joe Mauer was the number 1 rated QB in high school the same year he was taken number 1 in the baseball draft.

Reactions: BDE420
Danny Ainge - pretty good baseball player for the Blue Jays until he stopped and went to play for the Celtics. I believe he was also a highly rated QB in high school. Dave DeBusschere pitched for the White Sox and basketball with the Knicks. While he did not play it professionally or in college, Joe Mauer was the number 1 rated QB in high school the same year he was taken number 1 in the baseball draft.
While all these are true. The likelihood is very small. And also these examples are not recent. Do u think all the sport specialization has made it even more unlikely?

While all these are true. The likelihood is very small. And also these examples are not recent. Do u think all the sport specialization has made it even more unlikely?
I am not one to make an argument that with realistic expectations it can be done. All of those who did make it were generational type athletes. While a great high school athlete, I'm not sure Kueter is on that level where he can just change gears and be dominant at a different sport.

Sport specialization may be part of it - but the ones who did it are freaks of athletic nature.

I am not one to make an argument that with realistic expectations it can be done. All of those who did make it were generational type athletes. While a great high school athlete, I'm not sure Kueter is on that level where he can just change gears and be dominant at a different sport.

Sport specialization may be part of it - but the ones who did it are freaks of athletic nature.
Freak for sure. Add the fact that both sports want him to gain weight and wrestling is not very conducive for that.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
As good of an athlete as he is I am sure he still has a legit chance if he wants it. It might be rare.. but it is not unheard of to star in the NFL without playing football in college.
Although Kueter is a world class athlete, he couldn't get on the field last year for Iowa. Given that fact, it is apparent that his natural talent by itself will not be enough to make an NFL squad unless he developes his football skills in College. If he drops playing college football in favor of wrestling, IMO there is no chance of him becoming an NFL prospect. Gable Stevenson is not a good comparison because Gable Stevenson never spent an entire season playing college football so there is no way to know about his natural ability to play football at this level. The only wrestler / freak of nature that I am familiar with that had NFL success without playing college football is Carlton Haslrig and I would imagine his natural talent would have resulted in significant playing time on any college team if he dedicated a whole season to football.

The same is true for wrestling. I think Kueter is a better wrestler than football player and his ceiling in wrestling is a lot higher. I predict he will have success this year in wrestling and he will never play another down in football.

What Tim Tebow did was probably even more amazing. He was a far better baseball player than Jordan.

Not to downgrade Tebow’s effort but he was MLB draft pick level while in HS. Jordan was older when he took up the game having not played since little league, upwards of 20 years prior to playing at the AA level. Numbers weren’t great but he was trending up and didn’t embarrass himself.

Reactions: el dub
I dialed up my local AI service and asked them questions from this thread. “MJ has amazing hand/eye coordination, being the common denominator of both sports.”
Jordan's baseball swing was long and slow. A well placed major league fastball would have sent him back to the minors very quickly. Defensively I'm sure he would have been just fine.

Although Kueter is a world class athlete, he couldn't get on the field last year for Iowa. Given that fact, it is apparent that his natural talent by itself will not be enough to make an NFL squad unless he developes his football skills in College. If he drops playing college football in favor of wrestling, IMO there is no chance of him becoming an NFL prospect. Gable Stevenson is not a good comparison because Gable Stevenson never spent an entire season playing college football so there is no way to know about his natural ability to play football at this level. The only wrestler / freak of nature that I am familiar with that had NFL success without playing college football is Carlton Haslrig and I would imagine his natural talent would have resulted in significant playing time on any college team if he dedicated a whole season to football.

The same is true for wrestling. I think Kueter is a better wrestler than football player and his ceiling in wrestling is a lot higher. I predict he will have success this year in wrestling and he will never play another down in football.
Gable isn't even a legit prospect. That's a zero-risk roll of the dice by a coach who loves wrestling.

when put it that way about football going to high level wrestling, it makes you realize the slim odds of making it. I think he figures he will always be welcomed back into wrestling, so go for the long shots of becoming an overnight millionaire. Maybe UFC will be next long shot. He could get seriously injured in football or MMA and end a promising wrestling career.

Reactions: manatree and el dub
Jordan's baseball swing was long and slow. A well placed major league fastball would have sent him back to the minors very quickly. Defensively I'm sure he would have been just fine.

Agree. Definitely casted the bat with too much of an arm swing. Looked like a slap hitter for someone that tall. Didn't keep it short or use legs and core with hands inside to be quick and hard to the ball. Would've needed a lot more time in the cage with a batting instructor. Without, would've been eaten alive by inside fastball / junk breaking balls off the plate.

But really, what pitcher was going to go high and tight on him? None ever did, I'd wager. Afterall, it was a venture in honor of his dad.

Agree. Definitely casted the bat with too much of an arm swing. Looked like a slap hitter for someone that tall. Didn't keep it short or use legs and core with hands inside to be quick and hard to the ball. Would've needed a lot more time in the cage with a batting instructor. Without, would've been eaten alive by inside fastball / junk breaking balls off the plate.

But really, what pitcher was going to go high and tight on him? None ever did, I'd wager. Afterall, it was a venture in honor of his dad.
There were a number of players at the time who were pretty offended by him taking time away from others. I could be wrong with the name, but I seem to remember it was Wally Backman who was pretty outspoken about it.

There were a number of players at the time who were pretty offended by him taking time away from others. I could be wrong with the name, but I seem to remember it was Wally Backman who was pretty outspoken about it.

Whomever could have seen it as a stunt by Jerry Reinsdorf (Bulls and White Sox owners) to perhaps placate MJ while also providing an homage to Bill Veeck's showmanship (as a tall one, MJ, provided a good juxtaposition to Eddie Gaedel, Veeck's little person). In other words, not serious baseball.

Whomever could have seen it as a stunt by Jerry Reinsdorf (Bulls and White Sox owners) to perhaps placate MJ while also providing an homage to Bill Veeck's showmanship (as a tall one, MJ, provided a good juxtaposition to Eddie Gaedel, Veeck's little person). In other words, not serious baseball.
But people are still talking about it. So, there’s that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT