ADVERTISEMENT

Left my first no tip yesterday

Breakfast
A few cocktails
Bartender was slammed

What kind of drunk ass town is this??
Honestly this could be anywhere in Iowa with enough employable (no meth use or early stage meth use) people to operate a bar/restaurant. But Derek is in NE Iowa so I'm going to throw shade and an insist this sounds like the behavior of think-they're-well-to-do people from Elk Run.

For the waiter anyways. While I'm sure it was an ashole move, fvck that guy. I'll just get ctrl-alt-dlt, not reading all that, and CSB outta the way now and try to condense this as much as possible.

The wife, little 3408, and I went for breakfast yesterday morning and upon arriving the hostess let us know it was about a 40 min wait due to being short staffed. No problem, we planned on having a few cocktails anyways. It took about 5 min for the waiter to get to us, which again was no big deal, but we told him we had time to look over the menu and would order everything at once. He told us he couldn't do they because they have to enter food in the same order people came in to keep everything running smooth and prevent some people from longer waits. I completely understand that and no problems waiting.

After about 10 min a runner brought our drinks to us, again no problem there I know the bartender was slammed, and at the same time a table of 6 was seated near us. Our waiter went right to them to take their drink order. While doing so, my wife with incredible hearing heard him tell the group that food was over 40 min now and if they didn't want a long wait to get everything ordered now. WTF. Then he went directly to his station and entered it into the system. A few min later he came to our table and I jokingly said "so we're going to get our food before that table right, because you have to keep everything in order?" Dude got pissed and started getting extremely defensive and told us we were in the wrong and he never told us any of that. OK, bud. Whatever. We ordered and let it go.

About 30 more minutes go by and we start seeing tables that came in 5 or more min after us getting their food as well as the table of 6 that came in 15 min after. We're now at 50 min in and now food. Ended up getting it right about an hour and five minutes in. Now I'm pretty annoyed that he clearly did that with multiple tables, lied about it, then tried to make us feel stupid. Fvck him, I left $0 for him and personally tipped the bartender $10 for the drinks.
They had you seated at a table and told you it was 40 minute wait? That don't make no sense. Everywhere I've been that's short-staffed, they take sections off the rotation and you wait to be seated. Once you're seated, you should have the full attention of your waiter.

Reactions: sober_teacher
No, I wasn't aware of that. Thank you for pointing it out. I am forever in your debt.

Regardless, my wife handles both like a boss. One results in a free meal, the other a new teacher. Win/win.

let’s be honest your wife handles one situation like a bitch; the other one is more appropriate

Decades of opportunists using any excuse they can find to get comps has made a difference with a sizable chunk of restraunt patrons being impossible to please without treating them like royalty has definitely contributed to lower expectations of service.
Yes, there always that side of the table, people can be insufferable. But once enough is enough, it's time to speak up. Waiting as long as the OP did for his meal is pretty ridiculous; especially while watching others around you being served knowing you were well ahead of them.

I think every situation needs to stand on its own merits, there's rarely a blanket response. I think everyone on here has experienced both sides of the coin when it comes to service.

Yes, there always both sides of the equation, people can be insufferable. But once enough is enough, it's time to speak up. Waiting as long as the OP did for his meal is pretty ridiculous; especially while watching others around you being served knowing you were well ahead of them.

I think every situation needs to stand on its own merits, there's rarely a blanket response. I think everyone on here has experienced both sides of the coin when it comes to service.

Neat. You should know this though, nobody gives a f@ck and they're just trying to get you to stop being annoying when you complain. I don't say that to make a point, just that everyone should know that there is no great reconciliation happening.

Reactions: auntie_fah
Neat. You should know this though, nobody gives a f@ck and they're just trying to get you to stop being annoying when you complain. I don't say that to make a point, just that everyone should know that there is no great reconciliation happening.
I think it depends on who you're dealing with. If it's the server, you're probably right. If it's the manager or the owner, there's more of a care factor involved. Also, there's a rule of thumb, if your food comes out late, but hot, that's on the kitchen. If it comes out late and cold, that's on the server. Sometimes the kitchen gets backed up. Sometimes they are short staffed. Sometimes you just have a really bad server, in worst cases you get an a$$hole that really shouldn't be in that industry.

My son and I had a server last year at a restaurant where we went to watch the ACCCG. The guy was pretty disheveled (overweight and underwear sticking up out of his pants). He had pretty bad BO and he was just as lethargic as he sounds. We ordered a sprite and coke. My son got water and I got a diet coke. When we gave him our order he asked us to repeat it several times. When we finally got it, the food itself was correct, but he missed all the little things like, hold the onions and tomatoes, can my son get a side of pickles...things like that. The guy wasn't rude or anything...just wasn't good at his job and didn't really seem to care.

Yeah. Lots of weird stuff out there anymore. Poorly cooked food, employees that don't care, managers that dgaf. Strange times. We got wings last month and ordered a side of fries. When the runner dropped the food off she didn't even ask if we had everything and we were missing the side of fries. The kids meal had a shit load of them so we just picked at those and said ef it. It actually worked out fine because all those didnt even get eaten. When the waiter dropped the bill off I told him about the fries and to just remove them. When he brought the bill back the fries were on there and he said the manager made him keep the order and they were putting them in a to go box and would be right out. Great. Nothing better than leftover fries we didn't need.
COVID decimated the service industry. People that were good at it didn't want to go back. Restaurants are hiring anyone to fill shifts.

They had you seated at a table and told you it was 40 minute wait? That don't make no sense. Everywhere I've been that's short-staffed, they take sections off the rotation and you wait to be seated. Once you're seated, you should have the full attention of your waiter.
Went to a restaurant last month and was told it could be up to 40 minutes to get a fried chicken sandwich. Said ever since they were on DDD they've been slammed with door dashes.

...then you add in the point of sale tipping machines and tips have gone from a "tiered recognition for stellar service" to an expectation for just showing up. It's the "everyone gets a trophy" equivalent of the restaurant business. And like you, we really do try to be compassionate and understanding--server having a bad day, low staff, etc. But sometimes you just have $hitty service and worst case scenario it's intentional.

When places opened up after being shut down for the pandemic, I was tipping well on the POS machines, because people had missed work, and in appreciation for them coming back.

But I'm over it. I'm not tipping cashiers that are making an hourly rate. I don't see the need to make sure the 16 year old punching in my ice cream order is averaging $20/hour or whatever.

I always tip wait staff and bar staff appropriately, but if you're not on a server hourly wage, I'm done with those cashier tips. Occasionally some exceptions...if it's like a counter service restaurant and one of us asks for a bunch of substitutions or complicated order, then I'll hit the lowest tip number. But I'm not tipping just to cash me out.

Tipping is one of the things about our country as antiquated as athletic scholarships and quite possibly dumber than athletic scholarships

COVID decimated the service industry. People that were good at it didn't want to go back. Restaurants are hiring anyone to fill shifts.

The crazy thing is that the money can still be super good. I'm not saying it's easy work, my teenage son made really solid money working at places like Cracker Barrel and Wild Wing Cafe, and brought it home in cash. There aren't that many places for a 17-20 year old pull down $15-20/hr.

Went to a restaurant last month and was told it could be up to 40 minutes to get a fried chicken sandwich. Said ever since they were on DDD they've been slammed with door dashes.
When I worked pizza delivery long ago that's when we took the phone off the hook :)

Oh for sure. And the staff runs the show because you can't find replacements. My parents friends own a restaurant up north that they open during the summers and they didn't go this year. Too many times the year prior workers would just not show up. No calls, texts, or anything. That lead to upset staff and patrons. Wasn't worth it to them anymore. Can't imagine having a restaurant being your only source of income as an owner and being forced to deal with that daily.

I will note one thing, the idea that tipping used to be a "tiered recognition for stellar service" hasn't been true for decades and decades, if ever, for tip-based jobs in our society. The tips are the core income, it's never been a situation in the US where their living is paid from the revenue, and the tip is a bonus for "stellar service".

Ordinary service deserves a tip. Below average service deserves a tip. The tip isn't their bonus, that's their pay. Only the most egregiously terrible service deserves to be stiffed, like never getting what you ordered. That's not to say you shouldn't adjust the tip percentage to possibly reflect how good the service was.

I just don't like the premise where people think it's a bonus. It's payment for the service flat out. If you got the service, even if it wasn't special or exceptional, a tip is in order.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
I don't understand why it doesn't make sense? They were understaffed and let everyone know at the hostess table what the wait time would be. It was up to you whether to be seated or not. I would personally rather be seated while I wait than stand around waiting for a table to open up when they have a section blocked.
Breakfast
A few cocktails
Bartender was slammed

What kind of drunk ass town is this??
I still can't figure out if these type of comments are real. Do people really not have a morning cocktail on Sunday with breakfast? What the hell is going on!?!?

I will note one thing, the idea that tipping used to be a "tiered recognition for stellar service" hasn't been true for decades and decades, if ever, for tip-based jobs in our society. The tips are the core income, it's never been a situation in the US where their living is paid from the revenue, and the tip is a bonus for "stellar service".

Ordinary service deserves a tip. Below average service deserves a tip. The tip isn't their bonus, that's their pay. Only the most egregiously terrible service deserves to be stiffed, like never getting what you ordered. That's not to say you shouldn't adjust the tip percentage to possibly reflect how good the service was.

I just don't like the premise where people think it's a bonus. It's payment for the service flat out. If you got the service, even if it wasn't special or exceptional, a tip is in order.
All tipping should go away. Just charge more and don’t expect me to tip. Please.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Honestly this could be anywhere in Iowa with enough employable (no meth use or early stage meth use) people to operate a bar/restaurant. But Derek is in NE Iowa so I'm going to throw shade and an insist this sounds like the behavior of think-they're-well-to-do people from Elk Run.
NC Iowa, brah. I can be to Mason City in 10ish min. I couldn't even tell you where Elk Run is, but guessing it's NE Iowa somewhere.

Weird stuff going on out there.

Four times in the last couple months I've been served something so bad as to be inedible, which takes a lot for me. Sometimes I'm disappointed, it's not as good as I hoped, it's a little off...but I'm never like "I don't like this, it's not spicy enough, take it back" or whatever, just because its not to my taste.

But sometimes, there's just a straight up screw up. Maybe 4-5 times in 30 years have I had that happen and brought it to the attention of a staffer, and it's always been met with great apology, a replacement, and/or a refund. Again, if I'm mentioning it, it's something obviously not right that upon one look should be obvious.

But it's happening more often now...and I get that, staffing shortage or whatever, quality is down...but they're like ""sorry about that"...and that's it. No replacement, no taking it off the bill.

It's super strange. The worst one was at a very upscale restaurant, where I ordered a $20 hamburger. Everything has always been great there. Ordered it medium. It was so burned, so dry, it was impossible to get down more than a bite. Very, very obviously messed up.

Waitress is clearing the table, and hits me with "Oh, you didn't have the appetite you thought, huh?" And I was like "Well, that's not it...I just couldn't eat it. Remember you asked me how I wanted it and said medium. I think some wires got crossed."

She looks at it and is "Wow, yeah, that's definitely not medium, never seen anything like that before, yuck." And drops the check.

What's going on out there? Is there a trend against trying to make mistakes right? Are restaurants inundated with scammers now that the price is so high, and just taking a zero tolerance approach? It's really bizarre to me.
My (no pics) wife and daughter went to high end restaurant a couple of weeks ago. My wife ordered a steak medium and it came back blue. She sent it back (which she never does) and it was returned the exact same way. They comped desert (which they probably would have done anyway because it was my daughter's birthday).

NC Iowa, brah. I can be to Mason City in 10ish min. I couldn't even tell you where Elk Run is, but guessing it's NE Iowa somewhere.

TIL it's actually "Elk Run Heights" (I've been calling it Elk Run since the late 90s) and it's just a tiny Waterloo burb. For people too good for the loo and too antisocial for cedar falls or evansdale.

Reactions: Derekd3408

He didn't get paid then and I don't feel the slightest bit bad about that. I tip 20% minimum on all checks, even with terrible service. This was beyond that. He acted like a POS and tried to turn it on us. Again, fvck him.

Oh for sure. And the staff runs the show because you can't find replacements. My parents friends own a restaurant up north that they open during the summers and they didn't go this year. Too many times the year prior workers would just not show up. No calls, texts, or anything. That lead to upset staff and patrons. Wasn't worth it to them anymore. Can't imagine having a restaurant being your only source of income as an owner and being forced to deal with that daily.
That’s becoming the norm in general. For jobs at all levels. Workers have been treated like crap for too long and now they’re returning the favor.

Well, I guess it comes down to the difference between gratuity and tip. In the sense of "tip" that is the recognition for a service well done whereas gratuity is a required charge added to the bill that must be paid. I've seen instances where an 18% gratuity is automatically applied, then a space for an additional tip is offered.

To your point, I really can't argue it as folks get paid the same for a bad days work or a good days work and if they wind up with more bad days than good, the employer will likely terminate them. I guess the same can be said of servers. Truth be told it has to be a pretty bad experience for me not to tip, and I can probably count on both hands how many of those I've had in a life time. Sure, I've had my share of bad servers, but rarely do I get those atrocities.

He didn't get paid then and I don't feel the slightest bit bad about that. I tip 20% minimum on all checks, even with terrible service. This was beyond that. He acted like a POS and tried to turn it on us. Again, fvck him.
I agree. There's a difference in bad service and FU service.

OP...I think you handled it pretty well.

Probably would have done the same, other than my wife would have said something first.

You get shit faced off 2 Bloody Mary's?
When did Denny’s start serving alcohol?

Four times in the last couple months I've been served something so bad as to be inedible, which takes a lot for me. Sometimes I'm disappointed, it's not as good as I hoped, it's a little off...but I'm never like "I don't like this, it's not spicy enough, take it back" or whatever, just because its not to my taste.

But sometimes, there's just a straight up screw up. Maybe 4-5 times in 30 years have I had that happen and brought it to the attention of a staffer, and it's always been met with great apology, a replacement, and/or a refund. Again, if I'm mentioning it, it's something obviously not right that upon one look should be obvious.

But it's happening more often now...and I get that, staffing shortage or whatever, quality is down...but they're like ""sorry about that"...and that's it. No replacement, no taking it off the bill.

It's super strange. The worst one was at a very upscale restaurant, where I ordered a $20 hamburger. Everything has always been great there. Ordered it medium. It was so burned, so dry, it was impossible to get down more than a bite. Very, very obviously messed up.

Waitress is clearing the table, and hits me with "Oh, you didn't have the appetite you thought, huh?" And I was like "Well, that's not it...I just couldn't eat it. Remember you asked me how I wanted it and said medium. I think some wires got crossed."

She looks at it and is "Wow, yeah, that's definitely not medium, never seen anything like that before, yuck." And drops the check.

What's going on out there? Is there a trend against trying to make mistakes right? Are restaurants inundated with scammers now that the price is so high, and just taking a zero tolerance approach? It's really bizarre to me.
My HS and college-aged kids who work in fast casual and sit down places have told me there are a ton of people who complain about trivial or nonexistent stuff hoping to get comped. Granted, that’s a biased view, but given how people are these days it wouldn’t surprise me.

I think of all the people who abuse return policies.

Reactions: BelemNole
Someone has to drive.
"Don't worry dad - I got this!!"

877-06833383en_Masterfile.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: torbee and ping72
OP...I think you handled it pretty well.

Probably would have done the same, other than my wife would have said something first.
My wife was on the cusp of exploding, so I had to wrangle her in a little. 45 min is about time to start wrapping it up when we have our 5 year old with. An hour had him really antsy and he was driving the wife crazy. So that didn't help at all.

Reactions: MitchLL

Wait you went to an upscale place and ordered a burger?

Further wait, you think $20 burger is upscale?

Reactions: ping72
When did Denny’s start serving alcohol?

My HS and college-aged kids who work in fast casual and sit down places have told me there are a ton of people who complain about trivial or nonexistent stuff hoping to get comped. Granted, that’s a biased view, but given how people are these days it wouldn’t surprise me.

I think of all the people who abuse return policies.

Yep, I thought that might be the case, leading to management saying just not to comp anyone no matter what.

I don't understand why it doesn't make sense? They were understaffed and let everyone know at the hostess table what the wait time would be. It was up to you whether to be seated or not. I would personally rather be seated while I wait than stand around waiting for a table to open up when they have a section blocked.
You've got 40 tables. Normally you have 8 waitstaff covering 5 tables each (these numbers are for illustrative purposes only). You've been reduced to 5 waitstaff...now you have each of them covering 8 tables. That's when you get errors and bad service. Every restaurant I've ever been to closes off tables so you might take ten tables off the rotation and cover the remaining 30 with who you have. Everyone still gets good service. I'd much rather wait and get good service when I sit down than sit down and wait and wait and wait to get bad service from a waiter who's covering too many tables.

But that's just me. :)

Reactions: Greenway4Prez

Yeah I would say your experience borders on just not receiving the service, where not tipping at all can be justified.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT