ADVERTISEMENT

Left my first no tip yesterday

He and the wife made a little kid sit and watch them get drunk at breakfast.
Nothing at all wrong with that!
michaelscott-wink.gif

I will note one thing, the idea that tipping used to be a "tiered recognition for stellar service" hasn't been true for decades and decades, if ever, for tip-based jobs in our society. The tips are the core income, it's never been a situation in the US where their living is paid from the revenue, and the tip is a bonus for "stellar service".

Ordinary service deserves a tip. Below average service deserves a tip. The tip isn't their bonus, that's their pay. Only the most egregiously terrible service deserves to be stiffed, like never getting what you ordered. That's not to say you shouldn't adjust the tip percentage to possibly reflect how good the service was.

I just don't like the premise where people think it's a bonus. It's payment for the service flat out. If you got the service, even if it wasn't special or exceptional, a tip is in order.
Um no.

Their regular pay is from the resteraunt. If they don't earn the equivalent of minimum wage through tips then it's the resteraunts responsibility to make it up. Not mine.

If the owners are tired of making it up, they can let the employee go.

It's not my job to tip for below average service to save the owners money.

Other states don’t like to drink on Sunday mornings? Sucks to be you guys.
I think one of the breakfast staple cocktails is mandatory at some restaurants here.

Me: I'll have the meatlovers omelet with hashbrowns and wheat toast.

Server: What would you like your mandatory cocktail to be? A Bloody Mary, screwdriver, or a mimosa.

Me: Bloody Mary.

Server: Would you like pickle, pepper, bacon, or regular boring vodka with that?

Me: Just the regular boring stuff.

Server: And what slightly virgin cocktail can I get for your little one? Bloody, screwdriver, or mimosa. And does he need a paper and some colors? We have a brewery, a distillery, and a wall of beer bottles to choose from.

Reactions: Chuck C
Wait you went to an upscale place and ordered a burger?

Further wait, you think $20 burger is upscale?
Someone gave me a tip years ago that works wonders, especially in downtowns of big cities.

Go into the finest steakhouses at lunch and order a burger, even if it’s not on the menu. You’ll typically get really high quality meat ground just for you at a really cheap price.

The problem with no tip is they prolly just think you're cheap. Like my dad was lol. We need to have a universal tip amount, a very low amount, that communicates you are normally a decent tipper but service was horrible. I suggest $0.69. Or, can just write on the receipt that service was poor.

You've got 40 tables. Normally you have 8 waitstaff covering 5 tables each (these numbers are for illustrative purposes only). You've been reduced to 5 waitstaff...now you have each of them covering 8 tables. That's when you get errors and bad service. Every restaurant I've ever been to closes off tables so you might take ten tables off the rotation and cover the remaining 30 with who you have. Everyone still gets good service. I'd much rather wait and get good service when I sit down than sit down and wait and wait and wait to get bad service from a waiter who's covering too many tables.

But that's just me. :)
I will say this, rarely if ever will you see a restaurant in a small town (5000 and under) rope of a section due to being swamped. They will just tell you how long to expect. If you go to a bigger city they always have sections roped off if understaffed.

I think it depends on who you're dealing with. If it's the server, you're probably right. If it's the manager or the owner, there's more of a care factor involved. Also, there's a rule of thumb, if your food comes out late, but hot, that's on the kitchen. If it comes out late and cold, that's on the server. Sometimes the kitchen gets backed up. Sometimes they are short staffed. Sometimes you just have a really bad server, in worst cases you get an a$$hole that really shouldn't be in that industry.

My son and I had a server last year at a restaurant where we went to watch the ACCCG. The guy was pretty disheveled (overweight and underwear sticking up out of his pants). He had pretty bad BO and he was just as lethargic as he sounds. We ordered a sprite and coke. My son got water and I got a diet coke. When we gave him our order he asked us to repeat it several times. When we finally got it, the food itself was correct, but he missed all the little things like, hold the onions and tomatoes, can my son get a side of pickles...things like that. The guy wasn't rude or anything...just wasn't good at his job and didn't really seem to care.

I have an awful lot of experience with this, and it has led me to believe that counter service is the superior model for anything not fine dining. It largely removes bad servers and unrealistic customers from the equation while also helping to keep costs down.

Unfortunately, counter service and digital menus are offensive to enough people to slow the progress away from tableside service in an establishment that doesn't benefit from it

I will say this, rarely if ever will you see a restaurant in a small town (5000 and under) rope of a section due to being swamped. They will just tell you how long to expect. If you go to a bigger city they always have sections roped off if understaffed.
That's how the locals get service ahead of the riff-raff. ;)

Reactions: Derekd3408
The problem with no tip is they prolly just think you're cheap. Like my dad was lol. We need to have a universal tip amount, a very low amount, that communicates you are normally a decent tipper but service was horrible. I suggest $0.69. Or, can just write on the receipt that service was poor.
$0.69, or as they say in the industry, just the tip of the tip.

Reactions: NoleATL
This is one of the many reasons that I don't like eating out, and will only do so as part of a social obligation, even when traveling.

I noticed I failed mention this in the OP, but I condensed it as much as possible. The table of 6 that sat 15 min after us, and he took care of right away to get their food early, tipped 8%. Gave me a chuckle. $101.88 bill and the tip was $8.12. I noticed because it was at the edge of the table when I walked to the bathroom. No cash anywhere on the table either. Glad he took care of those people well. My bill was 73.42 and I would have left $15 at the worst.

That's how the locals get service ahead of the riff-raff. ;)
100%. And in small everyone knows everyone communities, people won't complain about waits they were warned about (I'm sure some will but it's rare). You tell city folk that it's a 40 min wait and it's turns out to be almost an hour, that manager is having a busy day.

It's super strange. The worst one was at a very upscale restaurant, where I ordered a $20 hamburger. Everything has always been great there. Ordered it medium. It was so burned, so dry, it was impossible to get down more than a bite. Very, very obviously messed up.

Waitress is clearing the table, and hits me with "Oh, you didn't have the appetite you thought, huh?" And I was like "Well, that's not it...I just couldn't eat it. Remember you asked me how I wanted it and said medium. I think some wires got crossed."

She looks at it and is "Wow, yeah, that's definitely not medium, never seen anything like that before, yuck." And drops the check.

So, at a very upscale restaruant, you got the wrong burger, took one bite, and just sat there and looked at it until the waitress came to clear the table? Did she never come by and ask how things were? If so, weird. If not, why didn't you say something?

Reactions: BelemNole
I noticed I failed mention this in the OP, but I condensed it as much as possible. The table of 6 that sat 15 min after us, and he took care of right away to get their food early, tipped 8%. Gave me a chuckle. $101.88 bill and the tip was $8.12. I noticed because it was at the edge of the table when I walked to the bathroom. No cash anywhere on the table either. Glad he took care of those people well. My bill was 73.42 and I would have left $15 at the worst.

Who adds 12 cents to a tip?

Um no.

Their regular pay is from the resteraunt. If they don't earn the equivalent of minimum wage through tips then it's the resteraunts responsibility to make it up. Not mine.

If the owners are tired of making it up, they can let the employee go.

It's not my job to tip for below average service to save the owners money.

Yeah, you can decide that's how it works, but that's not the design and the actual social contract. You pay the restaurant for the food, you pay the server with your tip, with the freedom to pay more based if the service is more impressive.

If you choose not to tip, you've made them work for free. That should be reserved for basically an equivalent of not receiving the service.

If you have a kid cut your grass for $40, and they do a hell of a job, you might give them $50. If they did a just ok job, but not as good as you would like, you still pay them. You just don't use them again. But you don't stiff them.

15% is the $40. If you get your service, even below average, you tip that and no more.

Yeah, you can decide that's how it works, but that's not the design and the actual social contract. You pay the restaurant for the food, you pay the server with your tip, with the freedom to pay more based if the service is more impressive.

If you choose not to tip, you've made them work for free. That should be reserved for basically an equivalent of not receiving the service.

If you have a kid cut your grass for $40, and they do a hell of a job, you might give them $50. If they did a just ok job, but not as good as you would like, you still pay them. You just don't use them again. But you don't stiff them.

15% is the $40. If you get your service, even below average, you tip that and no more.

I get the feeling that handling the bill in a restaurant is as close to haveing power over someone as a lot of people ever get, and a lot of those people refuse to let the opportunity to wield said power go by without taking advantage.

Reactions: Nole Lou
So, at a very upscale restaruant, you got the wrong burger, took one bite, and just sat there and looked at it until the waitress came to clear the table? Did she never come by and ask how things were? If so, weird. If not, why didn't you say something?

I shouldn't have said "very" upscale. Upscale...a couple levels above a Outback or tavern type place, but didn't mean to imply it was an experiential type place. A place you would take a client for lunch and feel good about it. It wasn't French Laundry. Point is it wasn't an Appleby's or a Five Guys.

I didn't say something sooner because it wasn't worth making a deal over as it was a family meal (therefore, not THAT upscale - it wasn't like a $150 burger), I only mentioned it because she mentioned it. Was surprised at that she would acknowledge that it was obviously a terrible mistake, and then not have anything further to say about it.

I don't think I've ever had such poor service that I wouldn't leave a tip. Slow service, absolutely - but I'm not sure who to pin that on - understaffing, trouble in the kitchen or just a poor server.

Practically everywhere I go I see help wanted signs. Half the time I'm dealing with someone new or in training. It certainly never surprises me when the service is not as good as it was a few years ago.

I think to be consistent with Derek's scenario here, they brought a tractor and chisel plowed your yard.

Seriously?

Ever been in Chicago on a Sunday?

Dumb drunk bitches EVERYWHERE for "brunch"

brunchcrawl-piccollage.png
I can't find it now, but there was someone who set up a camera across from a restaurant in NYC that had bottomless mimosa brunch and filmed drunk people stumbling out of the restaurant at, like 2pm in the afternoon - just sloppy drunk in the middle of the afternoon.

Reactions: Chuck C and torbee

You're trying way too hard

I'm not the kind of person that would send something back, not tip, etc. I get that deep down nobody really wants to bring food to me.

I've had to do it probably a half dozen times in 2023 because it's been inedible, rotten, etc. I don't even want to know what's going on in most kitchens and the thought disgusts me. I've basically stopped eating out and will maybe eat something out other than ice cream once a month.

I didn’t realize getting shit faced at breakfast was a thing.
I can tell you've never been to a restaurant in Minnesota on a Sunday in the fall, or any Sunday for that matter. Bloody Mary bar, beer back, and Vikings fans all over the place getting loaded up pre-game.

I can tell you've never been to a restaurant in Minnesota on a Sunday in the fall, or any Sunday for that matter. Bloody Mary bar, beer back, and Vikings fans all over the place getting loaded up pre-game.
I don't even think drinking on a Sunday morning is a Midwest thing. Everyone went for brunch Sunday when I lived in California. It's just a great day for morning cocktails, you don't have to get shitfaced.

I have ceased all tips outside of delivery drivers, sit down restaurants where they take your order and serve you, at the bar when they mix a drink, or a service like a haircut.
If I order at a counter, do order pickup or curbside, or have to pick up at pickup station (Panera style) then it’s $0 for me.

No that *is* how it works. It's the law. Not me deciding it.

Your way is being suckered to pay for poor service and foot the bill for the owner.

I am not making them work for free. They are paid at least minimum wage, it's required by law. Nobody is working for free cause you didn't tip. All you do when you tip on bad service is allow the owner to escape paying for sub par employees and rewarding their lack of effort.

It clear you don't understand how waitstaff is paid based on your use of the wrong lawmowing analogy.

Maybe figure it out and come back to the discussion.

Last edited:
I don't even think drinking on a Sunday morning is a Midwest thing. Everyone went for brunch Sunday when I lived in California. It's just a great day for morning cocktails, you don't have to get shitfaced.
Pffffffttttt. Listen to this guy! L O freaking L.

This is one of the many reasons that I don't like eating out, and will only do so as part of a social obligation, even when traveling.
There is a population in Atlanta that does carry out so they dont have to tip. Waffle House is on to them and doing 20%. 10% to person who packages their order and 10 to the house.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT