Choco Taco

Scout Team
Oct 30, 2014
Nittany Lion Wresting Club Roster:
Josh Rodriguez - Who is this guy?
Jordan Conaway - Tries really hard
Zain Retherford - Everyone knows who he is
Franklin Gomez - Doesn't wrestle for USA
Ben Provisor - Training partner for Manville, who is now just a Freshman on their roster
David Taylor - Everyone knows who he is
Riley Lefever - Who is this guy?

Per Flo on July 31st 2017 from CP, NLWC had $5.7 million in assets which was 8x more than HWC that ranked #2.

Without doing the proper work, and only looking at the current recruits in comparison to the NLWC roster, does something start to smell fishy in Happy Valley.

Aaron Brooks - 2019-20 season

Seth Nevills
Brody Teske
Roman Bravo-Young
Gavin Teasdale
Michael Beard
Joe Lee
Adam Busiello - 2019-20 season

I'll let the board posters go back through past recruiting classes and determine how many blue chips came in and wrestled for a fraction of a 9.9 scholarship. From what I hear is that NLWC would take care of them to pursue their dreams post grad, except that there are only 3 of them on the roster.

Next year Bo and Nolf get added to the NLWC roster in addition to Zain and DT. Why aren't they growing their brand like they claim they want to? I heard the goal was to be as big as Titan Mercury, adding women to the roster would be a start I would think.

Reactions: Wink8
PxMe.gif

While one can only speculate on how that money is being used, it is certainly clear that they are getting a horrid Return On Investment at the post-collegiate level as that money is intended.

A couple points I’d like to make.

1. Choco is a Grandview fan
2. Gwiz is likely receiving money from the NLWC
3. Nolf, Nickel, Hall, and Cenzo all graduate in the next two years. Makes sense to not over extend.

A couple points I’d like to make.

1. Choco is a Grandview fan
2. Gwiz is likely receiving money from the NLWC
3. Nolf, Nickel, Hall, and Cenzo all graduate in the next two years. Makes sense to not over extend.

They're at no risk of over-extending unless wrestlers start making the kind of money athletes in other sports are paid.

Not what I said

Not sure how you determine 5 million isn't much spending power. How much are regional training athletes making? Like I said, unless wrestlers have just recently started to be paid similarly to athletes in other sports, they still have plenty of spending power. Also as pointed out, they have less athletes in their club than Iowa does.

Multiple people obviously have no idea what an endowment fund is and how they work.

A $5 million endowment fund would be a nice source of cash to count on (probably around 250k annually), but you are definitely right that is not a ton of spending power.

At current interest rates, a suitable institutional grade real estate asset would yield 6.4% or so. The $5m should be returning $320k or so.

If this is a not-for-profit, and the donation was given for an endowment it likely can't be spent against, only invested.

So if a 5 million dollar endowment is sh*t, what kind of investment return should I expect on my $0 endowment? Also, what percentage of that $5 million is spent on f*n?

Not sure how you determine 5 million isn't much spending power. How much are regional training athletes making? Like I said, unless wrestlers have just recently started to be paid similarly to athletes in other sports, they still have plenty of spending power. Also as pointed out, they have less athletes in their club than Iowa does.
They have two guys that made US world teams (Taylor, Zain), and a world medalist (Gomez). They have four guys coming that will be strong contenders for world spots. The guys making runs at world teams cost real money.

The corpus is generally not distributed. Unless the board of directors gives the authorization to do so.
NLWC is most likely receiving 200-250K a year for operations. All other funds raised could be used immediately. A nice bankroll.
Until HWC receives an endowment or large charitable gift, it is imperative to consider donating through becoming a member of the HWC Inner Circle. We have a ways to go to generate the kind of income/operating revenue the NLWC has.
IMHO the Inner Circle is the HWC’s answer to continued annual revenue.
We are an Army of committed & loyal fans, like no other.
We will win this war, not just the battle.

Reactions: HawkeyeEmpire
The corpus is generally not distributed. Unless the board of directors gives the authorization to do so.
NLWC is most likely receiving 200-250K a year for operations. All other funds raised could be used immediately. A nice bankroll.
Until HWC receives an endowment or large charitable gift, it is imperative to consider donating through becoming a member of the HWC Inner Circle. We have a ways to go to generate the kind of income/operating revenue the NLWC has.
IMHO the Inner Circle is the HWC’s answer to continued annual revenue.
We are an Army of committed & loyal fans, like no other.
We will win this war, not just the battle.

I am not familiar with corpus, what is that exactly?

<<They have an endowment of $5 million. That doesn’t give them that much spending power. Their yearly donations are often less than the HWC.>>

Lots of other factors that I can't accurately describes on a message forum... You can have different non profits so everything doesn't funnel through one and a couple more things can happen.
NLWC has a lot of options other clubs don't have and a generous donor that will step up with big donations when needed.

<<They have an endowment of $5 million. That doesn’t give them that much spending power. Their yearly donations are often less than the HWC.>>

Lots of other factors that I can't accurately describes on a message forum... You can have different non profits so everything doesn't funnel through one and a couple more things can happen.
NLWC has a lot of options other clubs don't have and a generous donor that will step up with big donations when needed.

Exactly, there is a large amount of 'creativity' possible when you have a base like that.

Amazing how much info you have about PSU options and generous donors, being a HR member...Maybe if you worked harder finding donors for the Iowa RTC, you wouldn't have to worry so much about ours :rolleyes:

Amazing how much info you have about PSU options and generous donors, being a HR member...Maybe if you worked harder finding donors for the Iowa RTC, you wouldn't have to worry so much about ours :rolleyes:

He may have some insights as he is involved in operations similar to the nlwc. Nice contribution to the board.

Nittany Lion Wresting Club Roster:
Josh Rodriguez - Who is this guy?
Jordan Conaway - Tries really hard
Zain Retherford - Everyone knows who he is
Franklin Gomez - Doesn't wrestle for USA
Ben Provisor - Training partner for Manville, who is now just a Freshman on their roster
David Taylor - Everyone knows who he is
Riley Lefever - Who is this guy?

Per Flo on July 31st 2017 from CP, NLWC had $5.7 million in assets which was 8x more than HWC that ranked #2.

Without doing the proper work, and only looking at the current recruits in comparison to the NLWC roster, does something start to smell fishy in Happy Valley.

Aaron Brooks - 2019-20 season

Seth Nevills
Brody Teske
Roman Bravo-Young
Gavin Teasdale
Michael Beard
Joe Lee
Adam Busiello - 2019-20 season

I'll let the board posters go back through past recruiting classes and determine how many blue chips came in and wrestled for a fraction of a 9.9 scholarship. From what I hear is that NLWC would take care of them to pursue their dreams post grad, except that there are only 3 of them on the roster.

Next year Bo and Nolf get added to the NLWC roster in addition to Zain and DT. Why aren't they growing their brand like they claim they want to? I heard the goal was to be as big as Titan Mercury, adding women to the roster would be a start I would think.

1. Riley Lefever was a 4x D3 champ. Had beaten Studebaker and Kenny Courts during his Opens.
2. HWC just signed a foreigner, so the "Doesn't wrestle for the USA" jab was a touch hypocritical.
3. Provisor is a two-time Olympian... He's not a "partner".
4. Josh Rodriguez wrestled for NDSU. Went 2-2 at NCAA's his senior year. Beat Zane Richards at US Open last spring and lost to Ramos 2-1 in the quarters.
5. I think it is fantastic that Iowa and the HWC are making moves on the women's scene, but I don't see anything Greco? Not every club can cover every base right now.

I'm normally not on here to start anything, but this post was just ignorant. I'm well-aware it doesn't reflect the Iowa fanbase en masse.

1. Riley Lefever was a 4x D3 champ. Had beaten Studebaker and Kenny Courts during his Opens.
2. HWC just signed a foreigner, so the "Doesn't wrestle for the USA" jab was a touch hypocritical.
3. Provisor is a two-time Olympian... He's not a "partner".
4. Josh Rodriguez wrestled for NDSU. Went 2-2 at NCAA's his senior year. Beat Zane Richards at US Open last spring and lost to Ramos 2-1 in the quarters.
5. I think it is fantastic that Iowa and the HWC are making moves on the women's scene, but I don't see anything Greco? Not every club can cover every base right now.

I'm normally not on here to start anything, but this post was just ignorant. I'm well-aware it doesn't reflect the Iowa fanbase en masse.

Yea...I think Choco just stopped by to throw a grenade in the tent.

Yea...I think Choco just stopped by to throw a grenade in the tent.

Question for the philosophers out there: If someone comes by and Dutch-ovens your cesspool, has your situation been worsened or improved?

Wait, Novak cheats? I'm going to make some calls . . .

Similar - resembling without being identical. Who said Penn Saint cheats? Nothing untawdry or unethical has ever been done there. Rumor has it the movie Pleasantville was based on life in Happy Valley.

Cid- Corpus is latin for "body". Like a corpse. In this sense, the Corpus is the body of an official document. I believe innercircle is indicating that NLWC financial specifics aren't disseminated publicly. Which of course means that they are cheaters as we've suspected all along. o_O
Pretty close SoCal. Innocent until proven guilty?
In most cases, one would have to see the actual legal document of the endowment gift and the corporate by-laws of the foundation.
As Randy alluded to, they have more options.
IMHO having the endowment allows them to have more charitable options at their disposal.
A charitable gift/endowment should not have “strings” attached to the gift,
however, there are ethical and unethical options to interpret gray areas of the IRS gifting code and legal documents which govern.
How confident will you be if an audit or legal investigation occurs? Should you be a fiduciary or individual, how willing are you to end up in court fighting legal or civil battles.
When you look in the mirror, do you like what you see?
Humiliation always (it may take a very long time) follows arrogance.
I believe we do things ethically correct
There is no control over what others do.

Reactions: Huck
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT