ADVERTISEMENT

Look what Iowa States new coach is doing.

Well like Seth Greenberg just said the refs have pre decided this game will be called like a football game lol
I just don't understand this. A foul is a foul. Or should be. Every game, for every team, equally. If that means teams like ISU, MSU, etc. have half of their players foul out...so be it.

You can't let certain teams get away with stuff and then call fouls on other teams for the same thing.

Nobody in college basketball plays harder than those 2 teams. While certainly not an artistic battle for me watching a team compete on the defensive end like that for 40 minutes is great. I’ll also say while the defense is great what’s cost Houston over the years in the later rounds is getting behind and having to catch up. Great athleticism but a lot of bricklayers besides Shedd, who is an absolute stud. Also surprised Iowa St pounded them on the boards.

Reactions: ewe_turn
I just don't understand this. A foul is a foul. Or should be. Every game, for every team, equally. If that means teams like ISU, MSU, etc. have half of their players foul out...so be it.

You can't let certain teams get away with stuff and then call fouls on other teams for the same thing.
Not disagreeing at all. But when you’ve got both teams playing the exact same way is every possession a foul? Is that what you want to see as a fan? Not saying one way or another just asking.

Reactions: cmhawks99 and WSC72
I didnt want to see Rodger's and Mahomes offensive lines blatantly hold all game either but i habe had to endure that for 15 years now
Well considering Mahomes has only been playing for 6 years you've had to endure a lot. Certainly the only reason he's winning the Super Bowl or making it every year he plays.

Bad info doesn't equal bad math skills. I should have confirmed the salary numbers.
I thought Fran was still at 2 million. Lol
Not sure where my brain saw that TJ made around 700k.
No op doesn't think that 2.5 is 1/3rd of 3.2.

Chances are you got that bad info from around here.

It looks like both are set to make around $3.7 million in 2027-28, which is the end of Fran’s contract.

A little note in Fran’s contract. If Fran were to take another head coaching job, he would owe Iowa $500k.

Reactions: Rocket_Fran
They have 4 points ten minutes in against Houston
They've been ranked as high as 6th and they just had a sweet16 two years ago. I would take that over Fran's results over 14 years. ....and who thinks Iowa could stay within 8 points of Houston at Houston?

They certainly go after a more athletic type of player...they have a system that emphasizes defense...why can't Fran grow as a coach and learn something?

Reactions: skydog0784
I’m guessing if they called everything us fans thought was a foul, it would be an extremely unenjoyable game to watch
I too remember when freedom of movement was a focus
dream jetty GIF by Closer Than They Appear

Not true. Fran has been antimate about no pay for play. I agree with him. ISU has bought their team

Fran was/is against the extra amount of tampering that comes with NIL. The “agents” shopping their players around and transferring to the highest bidder. There is no salary cap on NIL and obviously he knows that Iowa can’t compete with the upper third in NIL contributions. Fran, like the rest of us, knows that the NCAA has screwed this up from day one and the fix, if even possible, won’t be an easy one.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Not true. Fran has been antimate about no pay for play. I agree with him. ISU has bought their team
Every good football or basketball team has “bought their team”. Those are the times we are in. If you choose not to participate in NIL for whatever reason, your team will not be very good.

Fran was/is against the extra amount of tampering that comes with NIL. The “agents” shopping their players around and transferring to the highest bidder. There is no salary cap on NIL and obviously he knows that Iowa can’t compete with the upper third in NIL contributions. Fran, like the rest of us, knows that the NCAA has screwed this up from day one and the fix, if even possible, won’t be an easy one.

Here’s the Truth as I see it…..any team, university, president, AD, coach, fanbase, etc…that has already proven, they will cheat, over pay, over sign, kick non contributors off the team, etc will be impossible to compete with money wise. There isn’t anything more important to them than winning.

And by the way, there is way more things more important & I have been a life long competitor and hated losing, but anyone willing to stroke 1-million plus dollar reader for 18 year olds who have never did anything at the Collegiate level, honestly shouldn’t be competed with.

Not disagreeing at all. But when you’ve got both teams playing the exact same way is every possession a foul? Is that what you want to see as a fan? Not saying one way or another just asking.
No, but if the refs start to call the game fairly, by the rules of basketball, you either adjust or you just foul out all of your players. There is nothing in the rule book that states you change the rules depending on how the team is playing. They adjust to the rules. Not the other way around.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
You’re not going to get any transfers worth their salt moving forward if there’s not some NIL money involved. We’re not getting the best ones but we need the right fit. And if we’re only going to give money to football and 10% of that to basketball then shame on us. It’s crazy the amount of love we give the football team for winning the West against the weakest competition ever. Basketball has outdated facilities, a shitty arena and Fran has made the tournament more than he’s missed it. I’m not 100% behind some of the things he does but to expect another coach to come in with no NIL and other disadvantages and kick ass is not happening.

No, but if the refs start to call the game fairly, by the rules of basketball, you either adjust or you just foul out all of your players. There is nothing in the rule book that states you change the rules depending on how the team is playing. They adjust to the rules. Not the other way around.
I know what you are saying, but the same thing could be said about calling holding in football.

At some point in every play, a hold could be called. And by the book. By the rules of football.

Reactions: littlez

So Fran get's 3+ million/yr and you are okay with that but you draw the line at paying players when this has been okayed by the Supreme court.

I saw an On3 estimate that ISU basketball has a roughly a $2 million payroll. I'd prefer if Iowa fans came up with $2 million and were able to keep/reward the players we have an maybe bring in someone to put us over the top. Yes some fans would prefer winning. I think Caitlin is pulling in North of $1 million and Carver is sold out.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion so no NIL bidding to improve Iowa B-ball is a valid choice. Based on Carver attendance, seems like most fans prefer a winner to who is taking the highest/most pure approach.

You’re not going to get any transfers worth their salt moving forward if there’s not some NIL money involved. We’re not getting the best ones but we need the right fit. And if we’re only going to give money to football and 10% of that to basketball then shame on us. It’s crazy the amount of love we give the football team for winning the West against the weakest competition ever. Basketball has outdated facilities, a shitty arena and Fran has made the tournament more than he’s missed it. I’m not 100% behind some of the things he does but to expect another coach to come in with no NIL and other disadvantages and kick ass is not happening.

My complaint about the Swarm as a donor at the $200 level I have no say on how the money is doled out. I agree, I' like to see more money go to Men's B-ball. I mentioned ISU payroll is $2 million.....$2million to have a Top6 B-ball team seems cheap. I'd like to see enough money to get Perkins to return, Reward Freeman, keep the Iowa guys....Bowen I'd like to see stay, but not enough money.

CC has not taken a dime from Iowa collectives.
That was a direct quote from swarm founder heinrich in a big article on CC and NIL in Sat Wall St.Journal.

I agree we need to find a way to fund the BB team. He did say the other gals on BB team get a minimum of 15k apiece.

I guess you aren't aware NIL was legalized by Supreme court. NCAA hands are tied because any restrictions they put into place can be challenged in court. It would take legislation to fix the NIL/fairness situation. You are big fan of Fran...that's great. I'm a fan of Iowa first and it is about the University/tradition and best results that I want. If Fran got great results, that would be great. You have no problem taking cheap shots at fellow fans that have a different opinion.

Reactions: littlez
CC has not taken a dime from Iowa collectives.
That was a direct quote from swarm founder heinrich in a big article on CC and NIL in Sat Wall St.Journal.

I agree we need to find a way to fund the BB team. He did say the other gals on BB team get a minimum of 15k apiece.

She doesn't have to take swarm money because she has big money commercial sponsors like State farm. She is accepting money as a college athlete. I have no problem with it, it is law of the land.

I guess you aren't aware NIL was legalized by Supreme court. NCAA hands are tied because any restrictions they put into place can be challenged in court. It would take legislation to fix the NIL/fairness situation. You are big fan of Fran...that's great. I'm a fan of Iowa first and it is about the University/tradition and best results that I want. If Fran got great results, that would be great. You have no problem taking cheap shots at fellow fans that have a different opinion.

You seem like a big fan of Iowa 🙄. Almost everyone of your post have some sort of slant or bash on Iowa. Huge fan you are.

I’m well aware how NIL was legalized. That doesn’t mean the NCAA has zero control in the matter and it doesn’t absolve the NCAA from completely botching it to begin with to the point where a Supreme Court ruling was necessary.

I have no problem taking shots at shitty people who pretend to be fans. I welcome all opinions. Blatant idiotic posts and lies like you tend to spew is more than fair game.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmhawks99
Iowa wants to be Iowa State in men’s basketball. Iowa State wants to be Iowa in football. It’s how it’s been for two decades. Likely isn’t changing anytime soon.

I get the premise but I can't agree with that. I would like to get to the sweet 16 but we have been ranked plenty in the last 20 years.

You seem like a big fan of Iowa 🙄. Almost everyone of your post have some sort of slant or bash on Iowa. Huge fan you are.

I’m well aware how NIL was legalized. That doesn’t mean the NCAA has zero control in the matter and it doesn’t absolve the NCAA from completely botching it to begin with to the point where a Supreme Court ruling was necessary.

Lots of fans like him in here.

Reactions: iahawks10

Here’s the rub, opinions shouldn’t cause hostility, but they should garner questions and you should have answers.

For example do you see Iowa as a historically top 40 team or a top 20 team? If you see them as a top 20 team, which I can’t find any meaningful metric that suggest that’s true since I started watching basketball in 1980-ish then you are likely disappointed.

If you see them as a consistent top 40 team, you should be relatively pleased, except that’s when human nature kicks in and eventually “was good enough” isn’t anymore…

And then you need to have a good idea on what we’re going to get on the other end when we boot a top 40 coach.

If we are a consistent top 20 program, we should not take a back step. We should only move forward….

If that happens and we do take a step backwards, then your opinion is certainly open to loud complaint!

PS…we don’t have tons of “just” opinions on here…

What we have is….

“This guy isn’t B1G material”

“This guy is a terrible coach”

“This team has no heart”

“This team has MAC level talent”

…and so on and so on. If you think those are opinions, I’d take some extra communication classes…just sayin’

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT