ADVERTISEMENT

major winter storm on Xmas eve?

Drove from Des Moines down to KC, now venturing over to St. Louis to get down to the Gulf Shores. Roads were fine but that wind in Iowa was blowing us around. Have a high roof passenger van, the thing is a sail.
How long will you be in Alabama? Tomorrow and Sunday will be cold but in the 50’s by Monday, 60’s Wednesday and 70 next Friday.

@torbee this is your last chance for your ride along tonight to prove the cold doesn't bother you. We go on duty at 2230 until 0700. We will start our shift with multiple people stuck on gravel roads that need our help. We then drive there and decide if we can walk to them through thigh high drifts to access them and try to provide assistance that we can't provide. We will then go assist many semis that broke down because their diesel is gelling. They will ask for assistance from mechanics that aren't available due to the weather and it being a Holiday weekend. Throw a couple of accidents where you will stand on a 4 lane highway to direct traffic for hours. It is allowed to get into the squad car when traffic slows to warm up to prevent frostbite. Oh forget about any breaks and you won't be happy with your wage.
Well I went over to a friend who lives in Rock Island and smoked a J, drank 3 beers and did a shot of tequila. I am afraid I am unfit for duty sir!

I wish I’d seen this earlier because I might have actually pulled the trigger!

I signed up for this and I get paid to do this shit. Just not enough lol
Understood. I was doing a project at a plant during the end of covid. Plant manager was totally fried. Probably pulling down $200k. Just said with fmla, covid, union bs, etc “it’s not worth it”.
Again - thanks for you efforts.

Reactions: Hawkman98
@torbee this is your last chance for your ride along tonight to prove the cold doesn't bother you. We go on duty at 2230 until 0700. We will start our shift with multiple people stuck on gravel roads that need our help. We then drive there and decide if we can walk to them through thigh high drifts to access them and try to provide assistance that we can't provide. We will then go assist many semis that broke down because their diesel is gelling. They will ask for assistance from mechanics that aren't available due to the weather and it being a Holiday weekend. Throw a couple of accidents where you will stand on a 4 lane highway to direct traffic for hours. It is allowed to get into the squad car when traffic slows to warm up to prevent frostbite. Oh forget about any breaks and you won't be happy with your wage.
This guy hates his job.

I put seed in the feeders before it started snowing on Wednesday, and no takers so far. Kinda weird. Usually when I first load them up in the Winter I have a cardinal within 15 minutes.
Theories? The wind has them clustered in a sheltered area for now?

Reactions: billanole
I put seed in the feeders before it started snowing on Wednesday, and no takers so far. Kinda weird. Usually when I first load them up in the Winter I have a cardinal within 15 minutes.
Our feeders are busy. Orioles, Blue Jays, Ruffed Toe Hees(sp?) pigeon, squirrels, etc…

I did the same...took more out yesterday and this morning...no less than 20-25 birds feasting on my generosity.

Yup. 24 miles on fatbike. Strava don’t lie.

Proper clothes is all you need. Zero skin exposure.

Done a few big winter bike races. I am not fast but I have the clothing dialed in for anything.

Minnesota and Wisky have some serious fat bikers that are unreal.
I’m sure. That’s why you replied to the initial question. I rode 69 miles today.

I’m sure. That’s why you replied to the initial question. I rode 69 miles today.
Stay in your lane.

There is a 70 mile fat bike/running race in Dubuque next month. Shocking as it seems not everybody is a living room hero like you.

Last edited:
Anyone been on I80 recently between Des Moines and Iowa City? Have to head to the in-laws in Urbandale later today. Oh boy!

Up in Twin Cities Suppose to be in FD yesterday. Was going to try today but still looks like some of 35 is closed and several other roads in SW Mn.
Don’t think we’re making it today so may have to try again tomorrow.
Anyone try the drive from MN to IA? If so how was it?

Located 30 MI. NW of Ft Dodge...this am is first time since Wed no snow in air. No info on roads but visibility is normal, finally.

This little cold spell isn't going to stop the burgh from filling the stadium, Steelers - Raiders game at 8:00 tonight. Many will be tailgating at 3:00 this afternoon, and the booze will be flowing. This game will be the coldest in 33 years in the burgh.

Currently 15° with a 6° wind chill. Going to be brisk on our walk this morning.
We were at zero this a.m. but no wind.
Lost power again last night and the furnace has decided to take a rest break. Something to do with the condensate line. The system will cycle and the blower kicks in, but the igniter is not firing off… ideas?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT