ADVERTISEMENT

March 14 Joe Lunardi / ESPN Bracketology: IOWA is on the Bubble (7th Team OUT). #59 NET Ranking (8th Best in B1G) on March 14

And I would think we want NU to beat Michigan State. We win the tie breaker for conference seeding vs both of these teams. (Both those team being Minnesota and MSU)
I guess I was thinking only B1G, and if Indiana takes down Minnesota, and Michigan State takes down Northwestern, then Minnesota knocks off Northwestern in its final game , should Iowa beat Illinois, I think we jump up to 4th for double bye. Lots of if’s I understand

If NW loses @ MSU and vs Minny they drop to 11-9

If Neb loses at Mich they drop to 11-9

If Wis beats RU then loses at Purdue they drop to 11-9

If MSU wins out they go to 11-9

Minny wins twice they go to 11-9

If Iowa beats Illini we finish 11-9.
Under that scenario
Iowa has head to head tiebreak on all cept Wis which we split.
Does Wis edge Iowa in this scenario for #3 seed?

Reminds me of 1980 when Iowa and PU ended up in like a 4 way tie for third and both made FF.
Bizarre BIG race this year.

And I would think we want NU to beat Michigan State. We win the tie breaker for conference seeding vs both of these teams. (Both those team being Minnesota and MSU)

I'd rather have MSU win. Iowa could leapfrog Northwestern in the NET, and Northwestern probably needs 1 more win to feel safely in. Northwestern is considered safe now, but lose to MSU, lose to Minnesota, and then lose their first BTT game and I think they could be on the outside looking in.

Under that scenario

Reminds me of 1980 when Iowa and PU ended up in like a 4 way tie for third and both made FF.
Thanks for that, my head was spinning. I suppose I could have written it out but I need to buy a car so my head was already other places. Thanks again

I think the hard part about the bubble is the answer is almost always "it depends". It's easy to say that if X happens Y will be the result, but the truth is other teams could also go on runs here or pull off big upsets and complicate things. Like what happens if both the AAC and A10 are actually bid thiefs and then teams like UNLV and Oregon go out and win their conference tournaments? Now all of a sudden all of us bubble teams are sweating big time.
Wake Forest is a great example of this--everyone wants to say they are done for after last night's result, but they play a Q1 home game on Saturday against Clemson and then could play a middling ACC team before facing Duke or UNC in the ACC tournament. They go 3-1 with two big Q1 wins and they are right back in this thing.

Unfortunately, we don't play games in a vacuum. So we largely don't control our own destiny outside of winning the entire BTT.

Yep. A lot of games yet to be played over the next 12 days

I guess I was thinking only B1G, and if Indiana takes down Minnesota, and Michigan State takes down Northwestern, then Minnesota knocks off Northwestern in its final game , should Iowa beat Illinois, I think we jump up to 4th for double bye. Lots of if’s I understand
Understand.....I was looking at a scenario where we DON'T beat Illinois what is the best possible outcome. I am not saying we WON'T win (frankly I think we stand a decent chance at home) BUT.......

Anyway the 6 spot gives us reasonable hope for winning 2 in the BTT if we DON'T beat Illinois.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Al Davis Nfl GIF by Las Vegas Raiders

You know the drill........

My interpretation of this computer generated “defcon” section at the bottom of the page.. (takes a bit to load)

We want Seton Hall to win. Iowa winning against a team “in the field” looks better, and could help Iowa's net.

Want Northwestern to win, because at this point Michigan State is dangerously close to sliding down to bubble instead of safely in. We could be in more direct competition for a spot with MSU than NW. However, that win at Michigan State would still appear as a quad one. Would help NW's net because MSU is in 20s. Not sure if all that would help Iowa's net much, though.

Last edited:

My interpretation of this computer generated “defcon” section at the bottom of the page.. (takes a bit to load)

We want Seton Hall to win, because they are more “in” now than Villanova. Villanova is close to having 14 losses which traditionally is hard to overcome for a bid to the NCAA tournament. But Villanova’s resume looks good otherwise, so more losses on them now the better. They are mentioned / seen a lot as next 4 in so direct competition with Iowa. Seton Hall had been further up the list, and also - a win against a team “in the field” looks better for Iowa.

Want Northwestern to win, because at this point Michigan State is dangerously close to being out. We are in more direct competition with MSU than NW at the moment. However, that win at Michigan State would still appear as a quad one.
Bingo on the NU/MSU game....they had slid fast and another loss right now can really hurt them.

If Iowa goes 2-1 over their next 3 games should they be in?

And would that include the scenario of losing to Illinois at home and then winning their first two games in the Big Ten tournament?
This would then end up 2-2 with a loss in third round of BTT

If Iowa goes 2-1 over their next 3 games should they be in?

And would that include the scenario of losing to Illinois at home and then winning their first two games in the Big Ten tournament?
That’s a tough one. But let’s say Iowa loses on Sunday and the rest of the favorites win their final game(s)

That would put Iowa as a 7 seed vs Penn St then a matchup Vs 2 seed Illinois.

So Iowa initially loses to Q1 Illinois this weekend then follows it up with a Q2 and Q1 win followed by presumably another Q1 loss.

That leaves Iowa at 20-14 overall. 4-10 in Q1 games and 6-3 in Q2 games. That’s probably going to push them more towards an 11 seed/R68 game but I still think they’re in.

I just hope our guys are ready they have been practicing all week and watching these games hope the pressure is not getting to them

Reactions: Carolina.Hawk
I have seen this movie before buie will be guarded by 3 guys and he will throw up a prayer

I hate Sparty, and really don't understand why their NET is so high. Mildcats missed the front end of 3 straight 1 and 1 foul shots down the stretch, which cost them the game. Playing at Breslin Center is often more like hockey than BB.

Reactions: warriors dad

Under that scenario

Crazy that it's been 44 years since Purdue made a Final 4

Under that scenario

Awesome Beavis And Butthead GIF by Paramount+

IMO here are the bubble contenders ranked in order.

Iowa Last 10 seed
Seton Hall 11
Virginia 11
FAU 11
Pitt 11
Utah FFO
Providence FFO
Indiana St FFO
Texas A&M FFO
Wake NFO
Minnesota NFO
SMU NFO
Syracuse NFO
Miss
VA Tech
Cincy
Oregon
Kansas St
Richmond
Ohio St
Butler

Did some re evaluation + results from last night. Now have Seton Hall in the field. I can’t see a team with 6 Q1 teams being left out.

Colorado 11
Utah St 11
Virginia 11
Iowa 11
FAU FFO
Utah FFO
A&M FFO
Butler FFO
Providence NFO
Miss NFO
Cincy NFO
Ohio St NFO
VA Tech Work to do
Richmond Work to do
Syracuse Work to do
Kansas St Work to do

The Illinois game is yuge. Yuge, I tell ya.

Did some re evaluation + results from last night. Now have Seton Hall in the field. I can’t see a team with 6 Q1 teams being left out.

Colorado 11
Utah St 11
Virginia 11
Iowa 11
FAU FFO
Utah FFO
A&M FFO
Butler FFO
Providence NFO
Miss NFO
Cincy NFO
Ohio St NFO
VA Tech Work to do
Richmond Work to do
Syracuse Work to do
Kansas St Work to do

The Illinois game is yuge. Yuge, I tell ya.

Fun discussion

Just so we are not the first team out...or worse.... ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT