ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall Koehn is THE MAN

He has a cannon for sure ,..,,and that kick was almost dead center.

Game winners like that can be a big momentum boost for the rest of the season.

Love the enthusiasm afterwards too......and man if he would have run like that on the fake FG attempt at ISU he would have scored easily.:)

Best part of that kick.....Boyd having to stand there and watch it go over his head

That was great. They saw the first kick where after re-watching Koehn put hardly anything into it because he heard the whistle. So Nardouche puts his best player back there and Boyd just watched it from about 30 feet above him. It was great.

Best part of that kick.....Boyd having to stand there and watch it go over his head
That was sweet watching Boyd, he had it all the way! Ha! Maybe Narduzzi should have watched a little film and saved Boyd from going back there and had another rusher to try and block it! :D

On a side note, our man Marshall has hit 15 of his last 16 Field Goals, and punishes the ball on kickoffs (not to mention 1 great punt!). We got a good one folks.

That image of Boyd with his arms folded, watching the ball sail through the uprights, was CLASSIC.

Also funny that the Pitt staff didn't think Marshall had the leg to get it there, not realizing that he only went about 80% on the first kick, just to get in a "practice swing". They figured he couldn't get it there, and then, BOOM!

Another thing of note, Marshall didn't really kick that low like you would expect from 57. Holy shit did he smack that thing.

Reactions: GoHawks2009
True -- that ball wasn't going to get blocked. Makes you wonder how long a FG he could kick if he really drove it low. The one he kicked tonight easily would have been good from 60. Kid has an absolute rocket for a leg.

3jk6i3.jpg

One other thing I noticed. Beathard got the 38 and ref marked him down at the 40. WTF?

Reactions: icu81222
I've watched this about 20 times now. Bad snap, great hold by Kidd.

Good observation, dawg. Kidd was an unsung hero in this game. Incredible punt down to the Pitt 4 that flipped the field, and a great hold on the game-winning FG. The holder rarely gets any recognition unless it's negative, on a botched hold. Props to Kidd for getting it done!

The snapper and the holder are almost always taken for granted unless, of course, they screw up. But both must do their jobs under pressure or the kicker doesn't matter. So I hope the snapper and the holder get some love. They both deserve it. A successful FG of any kind only happens when three people do their jobs--and, of course, everyone else blocks. So once it again, it's a TEAM thing.

But how great is it to have the nation's best kicker be a Hawkeye from Solon.

Making a FG from that distance is something, but in that situation unreal.

Oh, and the Texas place kicker missed the XP that would have tied Cal at 45 to lose 45-44.

Talk about a wide span of emotions.

Where does last nights 57 yarder rank in Iowa and NCAA history? I'm assuming Keading had some long ones and I recall that a kid from Hayden's last season had a great leg and nailed a boomer against Illinois but not sure how long that one was. Last nights kick was the most impactful I have witnessed since Rob Houghtlin's 1985 effort against Michigan. Not to slight Daniel Murray against Penn State.

Where does last nights 57 yarder rank in Iowa and NCAA history? I'm assuming Keading had some long ones and I recall that a kid from Hayden's last season had a great leg and nailed a boomer against Illinois but not sure how long that one was. Last nights kick was the most impactful I have witnessed since Rob Houghtlin's 1985 effort against Michigan. Not to slight Daniel Murray against Penn State.

Highlights said the second longest in Iowa history.

That was sweet watching Boyd, he had it all the way! Ha! Maybe Narduzzi should have watched a little film and saved Boyd from going back there and had another rusher to try and block it! :D

Here is one thing that I haven't seen anyone else mention. The fake field goal at the end of the half at ISU may have helped us beat Pitt. Pitt only sent 7 players to try to block the last second field goal attempt. Boyd was under the goal post. They had a safety watching for the fake in the middle of the field about 8 yards from the line of scrimmage. And, then Pitt stationed two guys on their far right (our left), where we have run both of our fake field goal attempts this year. These two Pitt guys just stood there looking for the fake. I'm am not saying Pitt would have blocked the field goal had they rushed 11, but because of our earlier ("stupid"? or "crazy like a fox"?) fake at ISU, Pitt only sent 7 guys to try to block the kick. You never know. Perhaps that made a difference in the outcome.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Here is one thing that I haven't seen anyone else mention. The fake field goal at the end of the half at ISU may have helped us beat Pitt. Pitt only sent 7 players to try to block the last second field goal attempt. Boyd was under the goal post. They had a safety watching for the fake in the middle of the field about 8 yards from the line of scrimmage. And, then Pitt stationed two guys on their far right (our left), where we have run both of our fake field goal attempts this year. These two Pitt guys just stood there looking for the fake. I'm am not saying Pitt would have blocked the field goal had they rushed 11, but because of our earlier ("stupid"? or "crazy like a fox"?) fake at ISU, Pitt only sent 7 guys to try to block the kick. You never know. Perhaps that made a difference in the outcome.

I mentioned that in the thread called THINGS. Maddox was their fastest player and he was on the side where Koehn had been faking. You would think your fastest player coming from the edge would go for the block but he played the fake all the way.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
If Narduzzi even entertained the idea that Iowa would attempt a fake field goal with two seconds remaining in the fourth quarter of a tie game then Pitt is in for a lot of questionable coaching decisions during his tenure there. Not going for it on fourth and inches when your team is moving the ball pretty well was such a decision. Narduzzi was fully aware of Koehn's leg strength after watching him put every kick-off out of the end zone.

If Narduzzi even entertained the idea that Iowa would attempt a fake field goal with two seconds remaining in the fourth quarter of a tie game then Pitt is in for a lot of questionable coaching decisions during his tenure there..

Exactly. Why would we fake it? It was the last play of regulation and we were 40 yards from the end zone. Those guys should have been coming with everything they had. Wtf? No way would I want him coaching for us at any point in the future.

Good observation, dawg. Kidd was an unsung hero in this game. Incredible punt down to the Pitt 4 that flipped the field, and a great hold on the game-winning FG. The holder rarely gets any recognition unless it's negative, on a botched hold. Props to Kidd for getting it done!
Did Kidd also get a put down to the four, like Koehn did when he rugby style punted?

I mentioned that in the thread called THINGS. Maddox was their fastest player and he was on the side where Koehn had been faking. You would think your fastest player coming from the edge would go for the block but he played the fake all the way.
One good aspect of KF's earlier silly fake FG calls is that opposing coach's figure he may stupidly do it again. It worked to his advantage.

Reactions: hawkeyeheaven08
Did Kidd also get a put down to the four, like Koehn did when he rugby style punted?

My bad there -- forgot that Koehn punted that one. That said, Kidd did have some really nice punts of his own and has been much more consistent than last season. It's great to see our kicking game as such a strength this year.

Watched the kick several times. You can hear the BOOM as it came of the foot. You knew he nailed it from the sound.

If you are the opposing coach, you don't go for full block in that position because of the threat of roughing or jumping off sides.

I would love to see the stats on how often that stupid "freeze" time out actually works. I think it backfires a lot. (See KF, 2014 v. ISU).

I'm not saying he would have missed the first one. I realize he backed way off of it.

One good aspect of KF's earlier silly fake FG calls is that opposing coach's figure he may stupidly do it again. It worked to his advantage.

Wow. That would almost suggest that calls are made in a game considering farther down the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT