ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Portal Targets (confirmed contacts)

If he wasn't asking for at least $300K I'd be surprised.

If Iowa has offered more than $200K I'd be even more surprised.

Obviously, that topic had to have been covered before he was invited/accepted his visit.

My personal theory is that he thought by coming on campus he could negotiate an uplift on Iowa's existing offer to something closer to what he's hoping to get, and by dangling his immediate commitment right on the spot if Iowa bumped it up.
Well considering this might be is last big BB payday. Can’t blame him for trying. Probably assumes that 200 K offer isn’t going anywhere.

Well considering this might be is last big BB payday. Can’t blame him for trying. Probably assumes that 200 K offer isn’t going anywhere.
Probably was even told that very thing as long as he gets back to them before they sign someone else.

Last edited:
Probably was even told that they very thing as long as he gets back to them before they sign someone else.
Hopefully they’re bringing in someone else. Haven’t read anything. Although probably have until end of May. When are Cross’s next visits?

If he wasn't asking for at least $300K I'd be surprised.

If Iowa has offered more than $200K I'd be even more surprised.

Obviously, that topic had to have been covered before he was invited/accepted his visit.

My personal theory is that he thought by coming on campus he could negotiate an uplift on Iowa's existing offer to something closer to what he's hoping to get, and by dangling his immediate commitment right on the spot if Iowa bumped it up.
As long as Fran doesn’t have to offer an Assist Coaching job to a personal trainer or something. Remember losing the big grad transfer to Ole Miss over that.

Hopefully they’re bringing in someone else. Haven’t read anything. Although probably have until end of May. When are Cross’s next visits?
Cross is supposedly visiting TCU this next week. I haven't seen anything on Cross from SMU's boards so I'm not sure if he has anything concrete set up there.
TCU is bringing in other forwards too and likely only has 1 scholarship set aside for the 3 guys they are bringing in for visits. So I'm assuming that if Cross wants to go to TCU that he will be pressed into making a quick decision.

This has been my #1 issue with Fran during his tenure, more than defense, more than anything. It simply perplexes me that we aren't able to not only get more guards, but skilled guards, the cat quick ones we are even playing against in non-con. It makes every other issue worse.

what was the team we were playing (it was a buy game) where Dolph got caught on a hot mic saying "why can't we get somebody like that?" It was a guard he was referring to who, IIRC, was just destroying the Iowa D with his quickness.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonrann
ACC Challenge vs Pittsburgh in 2018. I think it was freshman Xaiver Foster I believe (future Hooiser).

Dolph referenced three of Pitt’s starting freshman and compared them to Iowa’s eighth or ninth guy off the bench.

Xavier Johnson (not Foster but I’m sure you knew that). He ended up at IU.

Trey McGowens who ended up at Nebraska.

Au’diese Toney played his sr year at Arkansas.

None of them really had a great career, but Toney’s was probably the best of the three. Johnson was serviceable and would obviously be an upgrade over Dailey. I’d take Iowa’s starting guards at the time over any of the three. And Iowa of course won the game over Pitt that day.

Wake me up once we're done with this nightmare.
giphy.gif

Are there other confirmed portal targets that Fran has a chance of landing? We are a guard short, unless you think Pryce can play 2. Anything happens to Dix, Harding or Thelwell and we are in trouble. We have Freeman and Dembele who have shown they can play meaningful minutes at 4/5, and I think both will be really good. Otherwise, we have two limited back up centers, and two freshmen who could become top players, but are true freshmen. Koch is probably more of a 3/4.

Come play in Iowa's offense and get drafted in 1st round next year
Illinois offense was better than iowas last year.

His draft evaluation isn't going to change based on where he plays, he's going to go wherever he gets paid the most if he stays in college.

I'm guessing he just declared to keep all options open, if he comes back I'll bet he stays at Illinois.

Cross is supposedly visiting TCU this next week. I haven't seen anything on Cross from SMU's boards so I'm not sure if he has anything concrete set up there.
TCU is bringing in other forwards too and likely only has 1 scholarship set aside for the 3 guys they are bringing in for visits. So I'm assuming that if Cross wants to go to TCU that he will be pressed into making a quick decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT