ADVERTISEMENT

Mekhi Sargent emerging as Option#1 at RB!

Harbinger273

HR Heisman
Feb 17, 2016
I've been getting the feeling for a few weeks now with what has been coming out of Fall camp that Sargent is the number 1 at RB. He is making plays in the running and receiving game and just seems to have "IT". He had another big day in the scrimmage at Kinnick today. Once again, Kelvin Bell hits a home run in the recruiting game!
Sargent, as has been reported by his coaches, really has a confident yet humble attitude and clearly has the physical tools to be our go to guy. He is a great addition to the team.

Last edited:
I've been getting the feeling for a few weeks now with what has been coming out of Fall camp that Sargent is the number 1 at RB. He is making plays in the running and receiving game and just seems to have "IT". He had another big day in the scrimmage at Kinnick today. Once again, Kelvin Bell hits a home run in the recruiting game!
Sargent, as has been reported by his coaches, really has a confident yet humble attitude and clearly has the physical tools to be our go to guy. He is a great addition to the team.

Not saying your wrong but where have you seen this or makes you feel this other than Kids Day? I would be shocked if Toren Young, a leader on this team, and IKM lose tons of snaps to MS. At least in the first 3 games.

Last edited:
I don't personally care who is back 1A, I want the best back on the field and I think we have three good backs who are all gonna see the field regardless of who starts.
So you do care who is 1A. You want him to be the best back on the field.
I feel that Sargent is our best back and is showing it in Camp. KF is loyal to guys in the program already, but if Sargent is showing that he has The Juice we have to go with him IMO.

Be honest, you have absolutely no inside information coming out of fall camp.

Sargent has impressed for sure, and he will play, but so has Toren and IKM. Sargent is not 1st team, lol.

Be honest, you have absolutely no inside information coming out of fall camp.

Sargent has impressed for sure, and he will play, but so has Toren and IKM. Sargent is not 1st team, lol.
LOL...go text with your teenage girlfriends. I never said I had inside info and never have before. I post my take on things. I feel that what Sargent is showing will make him the #1. That very well could prove to be wrong. 2 more full weeks of practice and if Sargent continues to improve daily the way he has been he could be the guy. I do realize carries will be split.

Reactions: MitchL
The majority of photos involving Sargent have come with the #2 offense. He may end up proving to be the best back, but to suggest he is the #1 at this point is just plain stupid.
I believe he is our #1 back. Coaching decisions may not reflect that. I believe he will and is emerging as the top dog. My assessment of his progression is not as black and white as you are trying to make it sound. I have not put a timetable on this either. Frankly, I think he is already beyond what a number of folks may have expected at this point. He's a gamer!

I never said I had inside info and never have before. I post my take on things. I feel that what Sargent is showing will make him the #1. That very well could prove to be wrong. 2 more full weeks of practice and if Sargent continues to improve daily the way he has been he could be the guy. I do realize carries will be split.
I guess I was confused by your declarative thread title and "I've been getting the feeling for a few weeks now with what has been coming out of Fall camp that Sargent is the number 1 at RB." What has been coming out of fall camp publicly that leads you to believe he is #1? Usually such assertive comments indicate actual information.

Now I understand you're just speculating. I can tell you definitively that you're wrong :)

I guess I was confused by your declarative thread title and "I've been getting the feeling for a few weeks now with what has been coming out of Fall camp that Sargent is the number 1 at RB." What has been coming out of fall camp publicly that leads you to believe he is #1? Usually such assertive comments indicate actual information.

Now I understand you're just speculating. I can tell you definitively that you're wrong :)
Yes the thread title is a declarative statement. No inside info. You can only understand that which can be interpreted literally in black and white. Call it speculation...doesn't too much matter. No more explanation from me other than I'm right.:eek:

So you do care who is 1A. You want him to be the best back on the field.
I feel that Sargent is our best back and is showing it in Camp. KF is loyal to guys in the program already, but if Sargent is showing that he has The Juice we have to go with him IMO.

No offense, but this ridiculous. KF should be loyal to winning. The BEST play. Period . IF, as you suggest, there is implied choice to put someone out there for "time served", I have new demands for the coaching staff. Please tell me this is misconstrued.

Reactions: cedeverson
The Iowa offense is better when the starter is a bruiser. Young will soften up the d and let the IKM & MS rip them apart
Unless we finally execute pass first offense to open up the stacked box. Then, a bruiser isn't necessarily important. I don't have a dog in the fight...just trying hard to believe the NE offense will reside in Iowa City soon.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
No offense, but this ridiculous. KF should be loyal to winning. The BEST play. Period . IF, as you suggest, there is implied choice to put someone out there for "time served", I have new demands for the coaching staff. Please tell me this is misconstrued.
...and that running a completely inexperienced linebacker crew for the third or fourth time in two decades wasn't unnecessarily done because though the need was obvious for years prior, no effort to bring in JUCO transfers was done to stay loyal to players who were not ready to compete at the level the team needed to win. Please help me understand what you mean.

Reactions: Takeno Prisoners
Yes you have misinterpreted. This concept has been discussed on innumerable occasions on this board. KF playing guys he's loyal to rather than the best player. It does not happen all the time but it has happened. I am saying Sargent is the best of our 3 headed monster and should play at least a 3rd of the snaps between the RB's. Sometimes KF is wrong. I don't think there is too much to lose between the 3 backs. I believe the staff will make the right decision with Sargent if he indeed shows he is the top dog, which I believe he is.

I love how both sides are so sure "they" are right!! I for one would be surprised ......bottom line ...none of us know for sure....lets wait and see! By mid season we will now!!

Reactions: HumbleP1e
...and that running a completely inexperienced linebacker crew for the third or fourth time in two decades wasn't unnecessarily done because though the need was obvious for years prior, no effort to bring in JUCO transfers was done to stay loyal to players who were not ready to compete at the level the team needed to win. Please help me understand what you mean.
What do you think I mean? Then Maybe I can explain.

I was listening to one of the Hawkeye podcasts and they said Sargent has been spending a lot of extra time with Coach Foster and is very eager to learn the offense so you know Ferentz loves that. I also heard Ferentz say that Sargent was starting to “heat up” or something to that effect. We are talking about a guy that was very productive in one of the best Juco leagues. Obviously, all three will play a lot but it’s not too far-fetched to say that he could become the starter eventually. Go Hawks!

Harb what are u basing your opinion on? You can't just say Sargent is our best back and it becomes so. At this point he is 3rd. He may end up 1st but right now he isnt. I can't buy your statement yet.

Harb what are u basing your opinion on? You can't just say Sargent is our best back and it becomes so. At this point he is 3rd. He may end up 1st but right now he isnt. I can't buy your statement yet.
I'm perfectly fine with you not buying it. I've gone out on what I believe to be a sturdy limb and said what I think. I did just say that Sargent is our best back because its what I believe. I pay quite a bit of attention to what is said by coaches and those close to the program. I have watched a number of the videos from the Kids day scrimmage. I believe he will end up the top dog sooner rather than later.

That he has played players out of loyalty over players who would win.
I believe he has done this at times. No KF has not said that he has done so in some many words. KF if a human who can favor one person/player over another because that is tendency. I think the staff is good at tempering this tendency but it still happens.

Good competition amougnst the backs, to me, is a good thing! If MS comes in and pushes or pulls(or whatever you wanna say) the pack forward then sobeit! Let the competition commence..

None of us has the slightest idea that there will be a change at RB. Those that have been at practice can speak and give us information. If you haven't been at practice then you can't say Sargent is emerging as RB 1.

Any more than you can say Reiff has passed Lattimore at DT.

The good news is they seem to have three solid options at RB. I hope to see BF use them creatively. Use some two-back sets and show the defense you are willing to throw them the ball on wheel routes, tunnel screens, etc. I am really looking forward to watching BF's progression this year. He showed some good things his first year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT