ADVERTISEMENT

**** Men's NCAA Tournament ****

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Isn't going to happen, but I'd take Devries Father and Son and give Fran his buyout money.

I honestly could live with this, but I’m not 100% sold on Devries. Also not 100% sure, and I’ve watched them play several times, but they don’t play the level of defense that I believe is needed.

If we’re making a move, we should find someone that takes defense ultra serious!!

And I like Tucker but he is a poorer athlete than anybody we have playing on our team.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
JT made the right move for him. Despite the wrong turn at wv, he found a good home for his last season of ball. The Joe T that had a good year at TT would not have happened if he stayed at Iowa. Fran would taken care of that.

Seems like all the Frustrated Hawkeye fans are out in force watching the NCAA tourney.

The effort JoeT puts out on defense and his quickness/strength....Iowa needs that. Soft guys like Krikke and PMAC are not going to grind out wins in NCAA tourney.

I was so happy when Fran 1st brought in JoeT. It became pretty apparent after 2 years that Fran didn't care for Joe's game. I hoped Uhlis and Bowen would have been better. JoeT was the best of the bunch.

Hard to get excited about the Dance when you don't have a much rooting interest, other than pulling for upsets of blue bloods. Loved watching KY and its inbred fans lose to mighty Oakland.

Go Cougs!

• Love
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
It is absolutely ridiculous that Fran ran off Joe T.

I’m so ready for Iowa to try something else with mens basketball. A coach that values athletic guards and teaches defense would be refreshing.
Toussaint developed into a better player than either Connor or Patrick but Fran never gave him the leeway or the runway to do it at Iowa. We all know why but FFS.

I honestly could live with this, but I’m not 100% sold on Devries. Also not 100% sure, and I’ve watched them play several times, but they don’t play the level of defense that I believe is needed.

If we’re making a move, we should find someone that takes defense ultra serious!!

And I like Tucker but he is a poorer athlete than anybody we have playing on our team.
Tucker is a better athlete than Patrick, Krikke or Sandfort.

Hard to get excited about the Dance when you don't have a much rooting interest, other than pulling for upsets of blue bloods. Loved watching KY and its inbred fans lose to mighty Oakland.

Go Cougs!

Sure...but just look back and remember how you felt after Iowa lost to Richmond with Keegan Murray on the team. Getting to Dance is an accomplishment, but I want to have a team that has a chance to make a run. Fran's teams are always fatally flawed/low ceiling.

Tucker is a better athlete than Patrick, Krikke or Sandfort.

Definitely not on Sandfort. I’ve watched Tucker play a lot. He doesn’t move around the court Peyton,

Patrick is a decent enough athlete he just is awkward and Gumpy and I’m not really sure he cares that much, and I’m not sure if it’s because of the life challenges, he just doesn’t enjoy the effort I don’t know.

Krikke, he just doesn’t have the skills that Devries has and maybe he’s not as good an athlete I don’t know but I’m always unimpressed by the way Devries moves on the court.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Toussaint developed into a better player than either Connor or Patrick but Fran never gave him the leeway or the runway to do it at Iowa. We all know why but FFS.

I would take a Connor McCaffrey six times a week, and twice on Sunday before I took Patrick.

But then, again, I personally don’t believe he deserved all the hate and vitriol he got on here. I’d like to have him on about any team I coached.

Seems like all the Frustrated Hawkeye fans are out in force watching the NCAA tourney.

The effort JoeT puts out on defense and his quickness/strength....Iowa needs that. Soft guys like Krikke and PMAC are not going to grind out wins in NCAA tourney.

I was so happy when Fran 1st brought in JoeT. It became pretty apparent after 2 years that Fran didn't care for Joe's game. I hoped Uhlis and Bowen would have been better. JoeT was the best of the bunch.
Frans use and treatment of Joe was the end of fran for me. Frans ability to evaluate talent is not that good. I don’t want to hear about the guys he brought in. You look at 90% of the big ten the past 14 years and they’ve all had their all big ten players. Yep we had a player of the year in garza but I’m giving way more credit to Luka his dad and cousins on that one.

There was a stat I saw this week which made me switch my brackets late. No team in the KenPom era with an Adjusted D below 100 has made the Sweet 16. Never. The teams that fit that bill to be upset this year: Kentucky and Alabama. I had UK winning tonight but losing next round. But I think Charleston gets Bama tomorrow.

Sure...but just look back and remember how you felt after Iowa lost to Richmond with Keegan Murray on the team. Getting to Dance is an accomplishment, but I want to have a team that has a chance to make a run. Fran's teams are always fatally flawed/low ceiling.
I have watched a lot of NCAA games, and Iowa under Fran has been tough, but we had a lot of disappointments before he became coach. Lute had a Final Four, but several disappointments. I remember him telling Bobby Hansen to call a timeout when they didn't have any left, resulting in a deciding technical.

I would take a Connor McCaffrey six times a week, and twice on Sunday before I took Patrick.

But then, again, I personally don’t believe he deserved all the hate and vitriol he got on here. I’d like to have him on about any team I coached.
I'd take CMac over PMac everyday as well, but that wasn't the point of my post.

Fran wasn't willing to invest in JoeT (especially over his sons), but Joe ultimately became the best player of the trio.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
There was a stat I saw this week which made me switch my brackets late. No team in the KenPom era with an Adjusted D below 100 has made the Sweet 16. Never. The teams that fit that bill to be upset this year: Kentucky and Alabama. I had UK winning tonight but losing next round. But I think Charleston gets Bama tomorrow.

Interesting thought on this, especially considering I’m sure there are some that think I’m a Fran fan as idiotic as that sequence of words sounds.

As a young man in the late 80s and early 90s I read something about defense and it is as true as it was then if you don’t play serious in your face man to man defense you’re never gonna win Big in the tournament.

And those of you who care to remember, Dr. Tom Davis’s teams played pretty good full court press, but they couldn’t stop anybody in the half court.

It’s the main reason why I was pretty excited when Alford came on board because I thought we would finally play the level of defense we need to play.

With all that said, I am all for hard-core defense in every sport, I’m just not sure we’ll go out and get what we need.

Our record isn’t super terrific, all things considered.

And honestly when this team is cooking on offense, they are truly a thing to see… I just don’t have a ton of confidence in them.

But then, again, I really haven’t for years!

I have watched a lot of NCAA games, and Iowa under Fran has been tough, but we had a lot of disappointments before he became coach. Lute had a Final Four, but several disappointments. I remember him telling Bobby Hansen to call a timeout when they didn't have any left, resulting in a deciding technical.

I enjoy this kind of approach in people with a long memory and sense of awareness. We don’t have a super long history of kicking ass!!

Not a chance in hell I’d take Connor over Joe. Connor was given his last name and position. People act like he was some amazing passer because he threw to garza and Murray.
He was a career 41% from 2. 31% from 3. He was a career 3 assist and 3 rebound guy. He was mirror for fran. He was a terrible shooter.
Joe is averaging more assists this year than Connor did in any season.

There probably is a lot of data harvesting/correlations that could be done using Kenpom and past NCAA tourneys. Gonzaga for instance has usually had an elite offense but maybe 60's level defense and the've done pretty well over the years making ncaa runs. However I think most of the teams that make Final4 are closer to Top40's level defense.

If I look at this year....ISU looks like they have a dominant defense, but I'm not convince they have the offensive firepower.

I didn't know about Bama being that poor on defense, but I don't have them going far.

That Duquenes win over BYU--- I think Duquenes was ranked pretty high defensively and I'd seen it as one of the more likely upsets so I happened to go with Duquenes on that one. I also had seen BYU...and frankly they resembled Iowa in their "athleticism" so not surprised they went down early.

I think Creighton will likely not make a run. Great offense, but sieve on defense,. Sort of like a better version of Iowa.

Reactions: Cyanide
There probably is a lot of data harvesting/correlations that could be done using Kenpom and past NCAA tourneys. Gonzaga for instance has usually had an elite offense but maybe 60's level defense and the've done pretty well over the years making ncaa runs. However I think most of the teams that make Final4 are closer to Top40's level defense.

If I look at this year....ISU looks like they have a dominant defense, but I'm not convince they have the offensive firepower.

I didn't know about Bama being that poor on defense, but I don't have them going far.

That Duquenes win over BYU--- I think Duquenes was ranked pretty high defensively and I'd seen it as one of the more likely upsets so I happened to go with Duquenes on that one. I also had seen BYU...and frankly they resembled Iowa in their "athleticism" so not surprised they went down early.

I think Creighton will likely not make a run. Great offense, but sieve on defense,. Sort of like a better version of Iowa.

Creighton is exactly a better version of Iowa. And another team I’ve actually followed pretty closely for years. I’ve watched them play several times this year, every year really.

Kalkenberg has helped them improve their defense just by his shear presence, but they are definitely not a lockdown defensive team. They have had some success, however!

Not a chance in hell I’d take Connor over Joe. Connor was given his last name and position. People act like he was some amazing passer because he threw to garza and Murray.
He was a career 41% from 2. 31% from 3. He was a career 3 assist and 3 rebound guy. He was mirror for fran. He was a terrible shooter.
Joe is averaging more assists this year than Connor did in any season.
Yeah...cmac....he's either the most Heralded/lauded deep bench level talent in Iowa history or the guy that started over Keegan because his Dad was coach. Not a lot of in between views.

Connor was okay as a part time role player and his Dad is the reason he played so many minutes and most of the complaints are really aimed at Fran for Nepotism. Some people go nuts because he's coach's son and play's like a coach;s son. That year he started ahead of Keegan was Fran's biggest boneheaded selfish move ever and doomed that team with Garza.

There is a reason you don't see players like CMAC in NBA....below the rim guys whose only talent is playing smart and hard is not good enough as the competition increases. Same for Sweet16...all those Sweet16 teams if they have guys like CMAC that play smart----those guys also guys can jump, run, and dunk and play above the rim as well as doing the little things that CMAC did. CMAC went straight to coaching...if he were talented he'd be in g-league.

Creighton is exactly a better version of Iowa. And another team I’ve actually followed pretty closely for years. I’ve watched them play several times this year, every year really.

Kalkenberg has helped them improve their defense just by his shear presence, but they are definitely not a lockdown defensive team. They have had some success, however!
I sort of agree with this. McDermott has better guards than we ever do. I would call them more finess, like Iowa but McDermott finds guys that change the game on the defensive end. Give me any able bodied 7’1” guy like kaulkbrenner and our defense would be better.

Reactions: cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT