ADVERTISEMENT

MJ>Lebron

Basketball got boring after guys like Magic and Bird retired
I never watched Bird and Magic live, but I know they advanced the NBA and then MJ came along and revolutionized it. I do know that any list that says Magic wouldn't be able to play in today's NBA has clearly never even seen a highlight video of Magic.

There's times when you see NBA players have crazy chemistry with each other and it's a lot of fun to watch. Magic had crazy chemistry with EVERYONE he played with.

I never watched Bird and Magic live, but I know they advanced the NBA and then MJ came along and revolutionized it. I do know that any list that says Magic wouldn't be able to play in today's NBA has clearly never even seen a highlight video of Magic.

There's times when you see NBA players have crazy chemistry with each other and it's a lot of fun to watch. Magic had crazy chemistry with EVERYONE he played with.
He made everyone who played with him better, and when they were pretty damned good to begin with, it was enjoyable even though I've hated the Lakers since they left Minnesota.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
Lol at all the Kobe stuff in this thread. What a joke, & that’s being nice while not bringing up his clutch stats.
I’m sure you all watched that 2006 first round vs the Suns right? “Kobe never quit. He was so strong willed!” Brief up on your history you clowns.
as a 90s kid, I'll always rate mj above lebron

but everyone needs to gtfoh with kobe...he's not even in the discussion

"refuse to lose"? please...lebron won more consistently than kobe did

Reactions: fivecardstud14
Jordan is the GOAT, no doubt. Kobe is likely just outside of the top 10. Lebron is No. 2 or even 1B to Jordan's 1A.

I do agree that Jordan and Kobe were stone cold assassins, but Lebron has never had to play that style of basketball. He's a freak athlete that Jordan and Kobe could never even come close to being. We have seen very VERY few people have the kind of athleticism that Lebron has. To be that big, that strong, and that fast...it's something we as sports viewers have never seen before. Megatron MIGHT have an argument to be in that class of athlete but it isn't a strong one.

Lebron is 39 years old and is still playing at the highest of high levels. He's going to be 2nd team all NBA this year...at 39. Jordan and Kobe were shells of their former selves at that age. Hell, Lebron is a shell of his former self...but he's still a top 7 player in the league.

I know we all have opinions, but I feel like you're writing off Lebron is the potential GOAT simply because he didn't play with the same grace as MJ.
Jordan played in an era when you could practically beat the crap out of a guy. Lebron falls down when he gets breathed on. Furthermore, neither Jordan or Kobe took "load management" games off. They played 82 games per season + playoffs (Where Jordan destroys Lebron's record) + gold medal olympic games etc.

Jordan played in an era when you could practically beat the crap out of a guy. Lebron falls down when he gets breathed on. Furthermore, neither Jordan or Kobe took "load management" games off. They played 82 games per season + playoffs (Where Jordan destroys Lebron's record) + gold medal olympic games etc.
kobe played 67.3 games per season for 20 seasons

lebron has played 71.0 games per season for 21 seasons

kobe belongs nowhere near this conversation

Reactions: KFsdisciple
No I believe that is what we have now. If you can still call it basketball. Maybe some type of foreign rules basketball. It is unbearable to watch.
You saying you hate the Euros? God forbid you watched any of the games last night. It was great bball. (Don’t worry, 95% of people commenting in this thread didn’t watch any ball last night, just like you).

Reactions: WDSMHAWK
You saying you hate the Euros? God forbid you watched any of the games last night. It was great bball. (Don’t worry, 95% of people commenting in this thread didn’t watch any ball last night, just like you).
Luka Doncic burns lung darts and sucks down vodka before the game and then will drop 44 on you.....

It has nothing to do with Euros. Just hate the type of game it has become. It's come down to who can push the hardest, travel and hand check the best. If you aren't big enough to hold your ground you just get pushed out of the way. Horrible game imo.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
It has nothing to do with Euros. Just hate the type of game it has become. It's come down to who can push the hardest, travel and hand check the best. If you aren't big enough to hold your ground you just get pushed out of the way. Horrible game imo.
Oh so you really had to the early 90s through early 2000s when hand checking was an actual thing.

I thought this was interesting. The Athletic polls a bunch of NBA players every year. Not just on this topic but on lots of other things as well and evidently Lebron gains on MJ every year and if current trends continue will soon pass him. Make of that what you will but his peers obviously respect Lebron a lot more than most internet posters.

I thought this was interesting. The Athletic polls a bunch of NBA players every year. Not just on this topic but on lots of other things as well and evidently Lebron gains on MJ every year and if current trends continue will soon pass him. Make of that what you will but his peers obviously respect Lebron a lot more than most internet posters.

Here is the link to the article

So while our (anonymous) NBA player poll was released Monday, with a record 142 players weighing in on some of the most interesting questions surrounding their league, we decided to dive even deeper into the age-old GOAT discussion because there’s a fascinating voting trend that simply must be explored.

i rank MJ over lebron...

but keep in mind that lebron is 39 years old. MJ at 39 years old was on a 37-45 wizards team
And his teams sucked ass in the playoffs until they got Scottie Pippen and Phil. When NBA basketball sucked its hardest since well before Magic/Bird.

JMO, but you can make a compelling argument for either player (Jordan or Lebron) as the GOAT.

As for the OP, what Lebron is doing at his age is incredible, especially considering his longevity of playing in the League since he was 18.

It’s also impressive that Lebron has won championships with three different teams. I have never been impressed with how many Finals he went to in a row because the East was trash during that time; however, bringing that Cavs team back from a 3-1 deficit against the Warriors, who IIRC broke the record for regular season wins, was one of the most impressive feats I’ve seen in sports.

If I had to rank them, I would go MJ 1A and Lebron 1B. Either one is deserving of the GOAT title IMO, though.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
Lebron leaving his hometown to go to Miami chasing a title, and the way he did it, automatically prevents him from being at the top of the list. He can compile insane career stats all he wants. But he still ran away from Cleveland when it was hard.

Jordan didn’t jump teams to buddy up with others. He didn’t move teams to ensure he had an easier path to make the finals. He had to bide his time, building his skillset, letting his GM build the team around him, then eventually get the monkey off of his back that was Detroit. That great Detroit team that made three straight finals, winning the last two had eliminated the Bulls each of those seasons.

Jordan didn’t run away when things got hard, he went back into the gym to get better and make his teammates better. Then he retired and came back to do it all over again. Then he came back and damn near drug the Wizards to the playoffs twice. Excluding his 2nd season where he missed most of the year before coming back for the playoffs and the portion of the season he was retired in 1995, he skipped a total of 7 games in his 13 seasons with the Bulls.

The 90s was objectively a garbage era of basketball.

(In no particular order)
Lebron
Jordan
Magic
Bird
Kareem
Russell
Shaq
Duncan
Wilt
Hakeem

90’s objectively garbage era…names top 10 with 60% having played in the 90’s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT