ADVERTISEMENT

MJ>Lebron

Lebron leaving his hometown to go to Miami chasing a title, and the way he did it, automatically prevents him from being at the top of the list. He can compile insane career stats all he wants. But he still ran away from Cleveland when it was hard.

Jordan didn’t jump teams to buddy up with others. He didn’t move teams to ensure he had an easier path to make the finals. He had to bide his time, building his skillset, letting his GM build the team around him, then eventually get the monkey off of his back that was Detroit. That great Detroit team that made three straight finals, winning the last two had eliminated the Bulls each of those seasons.

Jordan didn’t run away when things got hard, he went back into the gym to get better and make his teammates better. Then he retired and came back to do it all over again. Then he came back and damn near drug the Wizards to the playoffs twice. Excluding his 2nd season where he missed most of the year before coming back for the playoffs and the portion of the season he was retired in 1995, he skipped a total of 7 games in his 13 seasons with the Bulls.

How do you characterize his time with the White Sox organization?

90’s objectively garbage era…names top 10 with 60% having played in the 90’s.

Lol at claiming Bird and Duncan as 90s players.

Bird played only played until 92 and by all accounts he was well past his prime due to his back injury.

Duncan played 19 years and only two and a half of them were in the 90s.

What rube thinks today’s nba athlete is so freakishly more athletic than the 90’s. There is little to no difference. Not that it really matters that much Jokic and dancic are two of the best in the nba. Steph curry, not a super athlete.
JFC go look at the 1998 nba all star game roster and compare it to the 2024 roster. More dudes than duds in 1998 than 2024.

My new years resolution was to never argue about this again. So difficult

Lol at claiming Bird and Duncan as 90s players.

Bird played only played until 92 and by all accounts he was well past his prime due to his back injury.

Duncan played 19 years and only two and a half of them were in the 90s.

I said played in the 90’s, which is 100% accurate (you confirmed). Words matter.

So redo the math…which decade is has the most representation in your top 10?

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
What rube thinks today’s nba athlete is so freakishly more athletic than the 90’s. There is little to no difference. Not that it really matters that much Jokic and dancic are two of the best in the nba. Steph curry, not a super athlete.
JFC go look at the 1998 nba all star game roster and compare it to the 2024 roster. More dudes than duds in 1998 than 2024.

Yep NBA is the only sport in the world where the athletes today aren't bigger, stronger, and faster than the athletes from 30+ years ago.

Yep NBA is the only sport in the world where the athletes today aren't bigger, stronger, and faster than the athletes from 30+ years ago.

I take it you don't remember a 50 year old Jordan smoking a player in today's NBA

That great Detroit team that made three straight finals, winning the last two had eliminated the Bulls each of those seasons.
Playing against that Detroit team…Lebron - who is an objectively great player - would have spent half the game flopping on his back like a fish out of water. Phantom fouls put him there now - Lambier would have flattened him for real.

Playing against that Detroit team…Lebron - who is an objectively great player - would have spent half the game flopping on his back like a fish out of water. Phantom fouls put him there now - Lambier would have flattened him for real.

Pretty sure Jordan himself could shutdown Bron 7 out of 10 times

• Haha
Reactions: WDSMHAWK
Lmao. Right on cue.

Last night Lebron and the Lakers gave up a 20 point lead to lose in the Playoffs.

Get the F outta here. This aint no debate.

Oh and Lebron was bitching out the refs again. Surprise surprise.

Have you gone back and looked at pictures of Laimbeer and other players from that era recently? I get it, I also have this memory of those Detroit teams being super tough, and maybe the refs let you get away with more then, but they were also kind of scrawny compared to today’s players.

Today we have Draymond Green who is also a goon and he looks like he’s actually seen the inside of a weight room.

I hate the flopping too but I’m not sure how intimidated Lebron would be by someone like Laimbeer.

I know we all have opinions, but I feel like you're writing off Lebron is the potential GOAT simply because he didn't play with the same grace as MJ.

I write him off because he wilts in crunch time, he flops, he is always complaining, and he loses 20 point leads in the playoffs.

Other than that.

Have you gone back and looked at pictures of Laimbeer and other players from that era recently? I get it, I also have this memory of those Detroit teams being super tough, and maybe the refs let you get away with more then, but they were also kind of scrawny compared to today’s players.

Today we have Draymond Green who is also a goon and he looks like he’s actually seen the inside of a weight room.

I hate the flopping too but I’m not sure how intimidated Lebron would be by someone like Laimbeer.
To follow up, here’s a funny quote I found where Draymond Green basically says if the fines today were as low as they were back then, he also would lay people out more often 😂

Not done yet, Green added that violence on the court was so common because “their fine was also $2” and if he knocked someone out on the court he’d be slapped with a $1 million fine. He also called out the older players because if they played in the current NBA, they’d struggle.

“If you played in this day and age you’d had to be way more skilled than you were,” he said.

lol. Doncic jokic. Are headliners. Don’t act like this era is somehow athletically superior. It’s not.
You can throw blooper tapes together of any era.
The 90’s blazers jazz and pacers are finalists in this era too.
Again look at the 98 all star team vs the 24 team. 98 absolutely kills them.
Never confuse athleticism and skill. Skill transcends: see doncic/jokic.

You serious Clark?
dallas-mavericks-v-orlando-magic.webp

malone-bicep.jpg

david-robinson.jpg

charles-oakley-knicks.jpg

c03-barkley-before-13-16_9.jpg

AlonzoMourning600x400-600x400.jpg

72a560672e9686b8aa62a19434ee3aa8_crop_north.jpg

LJ.jpg

main-qimg-4883cab4c2f8667ea66178dc727533b6

Even your scrawny guy is anything but.
user-expressly-acknowledges-agrees-downloading-847011889.jpg

But these new players are “ripped”
licensed-image

im-880822

durant.jpg

11992361.jpg

Last edited:
lol. Doncic jokic. Are headliners. Don’t act like this era is somehow athletically superior. It’s not.
You can throw blooper tapes together of any era.
The 90’s blazers jazz and pacers are finalists in this era too.
Again look at the 98 all star team vs the 24 team. 98 absolutely kills them.
Never confuse athleticism and skill. Skill transcends: see doncic/jokic.

1) Luka and Jokic are obviously outliers in this era.
2) Let me ask you again, athletes have gotten bigger, faster, and stronger in every other sport over the last 30 years. Why do you believe basketball is different?
3) The 90s Jazz, Blazers, Pacers, and Knicks would get ran out of the gym by ANY NBA champion of the last 10 years.

You serious Clark?
dallas-mavericks-v-orlando-magic.webp

malone-bicep.jpg

david-robinson.jpg

charles-oakley-knicks.jpg

c03-barkley-before-13-16_9.jpg

AlonzoMourning600x400-600x400.jpg

72a560672e9686b8aa62a19434ee3aa8_crop_north.jpg

LJ.jpg

main-qimg-4883cab4c2f8667ea66178dc727533b6

Even your scrawny guy is anything but.
user-expressly-acknowledges-agrees-downloading-847011889.jpg

But these new players are “ripped”
licensed-image

im-880822

durant.jpg

11992361.jpg

Touché. I do think the transition to more physically developed players started becoming more evident by the late 90s. I still think Laimbeer was scrawny and in general players are stronger today, but I agree there are some obvious exceptions. I think my point stands though that Lebron wouldn’t exactly be intimidated by Lainbeer. The fact that he tries to pick up foul calls doesn’t change the fact that he’s huge and strong and could play more physical if he had to…

2) Let me ask you again, athletes have gotten bigger, faster, and stronger in every other sport over the last 30 years. Why do you believe basketball is different?
3) The 90s Jazz, Blazers, Pacers, and Knicks would get ran out of the gym by ANY NBA champion of the last 10 years.
Do you really think the athletes of today are genetically superior? I think by the 90s we were getting the best athletes out there. Much like today. You could argue that there wasn't as much input from athletes in the international game, but aside from that... still the same freak athletes.

Place the athletes of the 90s in today's game and they'd have whatever training advantages exist now. They'd have more longevity in the league. Athletes deal with wear and tear better now.

And I think it's hard to compare the eras given how the games are called now vs then.

how did mj's wizards teams do in the playoffs?

because that's the comparable stage in his career (age 38/39 season)
I think everyone agrees Lebron in his twilight years is better than MJ at the same age. I could see an argument that with today’s training knowledge and techniques, etc that maybe MJ could have held up in a comparable way but I’m not sure anyone else has ever been as durable as Lebron regardless of the era so it’s not really a strong argument. Is there anyone else that came into the league with Lebron that is even still playing?

I hate the NBA. The athletes have outgrown the court. They need to raise the hoop to 12-13', widen the court and lanes, make the ball larger and pull back the three point line. The NBA reminds me of my brothers lowering our driveway hoop to about 7' so we all could easily dunk. It has become more an exhibition and less a competition.

One could still make a fair argument comparing MLB players of yesteryear and those today. The same can also be said of the NFL but to a lesser degree, but the NBA of yesteryear was still a sport and huge players were the exception, not the rule, today it is silly. My opinion of course.

• Haha
Reactions: fivecardstud14
I hate the NBA. The athletes have outgrown the court. They need to raise the hoop to 12-13', widen the court and lanes, make the ball larger and pull back the three point line. The NBA reminds me of my brothers lowering our driveway hoop to about 7' so we all could easily dunk. It has become more an exhibition and less a competition.

One could still make a fair argument comparing MLB players of yesteryear and those today. The same can also be said of the NFL but to a lesser degree, but the NBA of yesteryear was still a sport and huge players were the exception, not the rule, today it is silly. My opinion of course.
Be honest, when did you like the NBA?

lol. Look at the pictures posted of the players from the 90's. Are they bigger stronger and faster. I don't know. We aren't measuring the 100m dash, or bench. We are discussing play: passion, experience, and intelligence also matter. There are a lot of guys that play that are younger roughly 2 years younger today than the 90's. Experience matters far more than the difference in athleticism of elite athletes.

Be honest, when did you like the NBA?
I'll be honest, I've never liked the NBA but I've tried and it just looks out of sink to me. My above suggestions are to see if they can bring back the challenge. It is too hard to score in soccer and the NHL and way too easy in the NBA.

Do you really think the athletes of today are genetically superior? I think by the 90s we were getting the best athletes out there. Much like today. You could argue that there wasn't as much input from athletes in the international game, but aside from that... still the same freak athletes.

Place the athletes of the 90s in today's game and they'd have whatever training advantages exist now. They'd have more longevity in the league. Athletes deal with wear and tear better now.

And I think it's hard to compare the eras given how the games are called now vs then.
Honestly, the 90s athletes may have been "better" in some ways. As we know from baseball, PEDs were rampant and not as detectable back then. I'm not saying definitively that they were better or worse. I'm just saying that there were a lot of big dudes back then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT