ADVERTISEMENT

MN PBP thread

Mineo is just a dirtbag
giphy.gif

Reactions: ping72 and Spoons
Purdues 174 Nuijhus? Just beat Labriola (Nebraska) tonight.

maybe give Sawffird the Purdue match.
Brands said they looked flat and not sharp. Worst I have seen Marinelli and DeSanto look ever in wins.

Overall just not an inspiring night.

Ironside said Iowa would have to wrestle a lot better than that to beat Penn State on the 28th.

Then said, they would have to wrestle a lot better than that to win Big Tens!

He closed with (and was cut off at the end) they would have to wrestle even better than that to win Nationals. He was not happy with the performance.

The downside of true freshman Drake Ayala is the question on how will he handle the really physical 125 pounders. So far he is 0 for 3.
He gets a BIG or rather HUGE shot on Sunday against #5 Schroeder (who is not physical).

Maybe they trained through this dual. They didn’t look excited to be on the mat. The team mates did, that’s a positive.

A good win over a good team, but Iowa lost every two matches they could have won and a bunch wrestled much closer matches than they should have. Ken and Eiermam should have had bonus.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I’ll bet there was a reason and it will play out as it will. But I stand by what I said - if your big gun can go - he goes. Against a bitter rival, every day and twice on Sunday.
And I would expect for you to make that clear to the competitors before they went into “said” battle.

I think it has more to do with the strategy being played on us than anything else. Do you know how much harder it is to score when your opponent is only settling into a defensive position. This was the strat against us last year at NCAA’s and it’s been the strategy against Iowa so far this season.

Iowa hasn’t looked “Iowa like” yet this year, they’re not firing on all cylinders but a wrestling match requires two guys. Most of the guys we are facing are counter wrestling. Trying to steal it late and slow the pace.
Agree with this. Other guys/teams are finding ways to use defense/stalling to neutralize and keep it close. But also think many guys are 'flat' too. Just not sure why. I keep hoping it's our own strategy......just win, save energy.....rather than something more nefarious like getting old/lazy/stale. But we're going to start needing more bonus wins in a few weeks. Still a solid win for Hawks, just not very exciting like we've gotten used to last couple years.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
Purdues 174 Nuijhus? Just beat Labriola (Nebraska) tonight.

maybe give Sawffird the Purdue match.
Brands said they looked flat and not sharp. Worst I have seen Marinelli and DeSanto look ever in wins.

Overall just not an inspiring night.

Ironside said Iowa would have to wrestle a lot better than that to beat Penn State on the 28th.

Then said, they would have to wrestle a lot better than that to win Big Tens!

He closed with (and was cut off at the end) they would have to wrestle even better than that to win Nationals. He was not happy with the performance.

The downside of true freshman Drake Ayala is the question on how will he handle the really physical 125 pounders. So far he is 0 for 3.
He gets a BIG or rather HUGE shot on Sunday against #5 Schroeder (who is not physical).

Maybe they trained through this dual. They didn’t look excited to be on the mat. The team mates did, that’s a positive.

A good win over a good team, but Iowa lost every two matches they could have won and a bunch wrestled much closer matches than they should have. Ken and Eiermam should have had bonus.
I don't see how we are going to beat Penn State. Hope I'm wrong.

Who knows.
Btw, I grew up in Leon Iowa, about 20 minutes from Graceland. Been to the school many, many times when I was a kid.
They had a really cool glass room below the pool you could walk down the stairs and watch. Like a shark tank window. Lol

Reactions: PinDoxRico
Can’t wait for the grades.
I'll give Max Murin an A. Stayed tough and got it done at the end doing Max Murin things. This is who he is. Grinder for life.

Really bummed that Kaleb Young let his match get away. He looked quick and sharp I thought, moreso than normal IMO. But he seems to me to wrestle not to lose as opposed to building a lead and putting matches away when he has the goods and the opportunity. Let one get away IMO.

Drake Ayala is super quick, he's gonna be a handful. McKee is no slouch either, hopefully Drake is learning from these losses. Keep your head up and keep learning kid, you're going to win a ton of matches in Black and Gold.

Great to see Kemerer, shoulder wrap and all. Cory Clark this year out big fella.

Love Big Cass!

Go Hawks!

Gable has matured, fist bumping Hawk fans, patted Tony end of match, no show boating.
Good for him.
What a machine.
He was also very gracious with the youngsters prior to the meet, which was nice to see. GS is totally legit and it was nice of the Hawk fans to give his props after the match. It looked like he genuinely appreciated the treatment. I haven't always been a fan of his, but he is way at the top of the class at this point and an Olympic gold medal isn't chopped liver...so you gotta give it to him.

I like that he never stopped attacking to the end. Very high pace. Maybe some overaggressiveness led to his takedowns. Thought the 2NF was quick too. No doubt in my mind that Ayala is the better wrestler
I love Drake and he is capable of winning but he is not the better wrestler. If he was he would be 3-0 vs 0-3 against McKee. I thought he needed a higher attack rate in the match tonight. He needs to be able to really push McKee or anyone else hard from the get go so they get to deep water later later.

I love Drake and he is capable of winning but he is not the better wrestler. If he was he would be 3-0 vs 0-3 against McKee. I thought he needed a higher attack rate in the match tonight. He needs to be able to really push McKee or anyone else hard from the get go so they get to deep water later later.
What? He took all the shots!!! McKee countered and won. Simple as that. He won that one exchange. I’d rather have Ayala. Jmo

they knew all that before they wrestled him attached at the scuffle. there was no reason to do that. it makes no sense. this wouldn't have been a problem at all if they didn't. unforced error.
It really doesn't matter if he wrestles attached at the scuffle or not unless they wrestle Kem every match from here on out. Brands is out, I'm guessing they want Swafford to take over the roll of going when Kem doesn't. Kem wanted to go tonight.

Brands said in the post match it was kems choice to wrestle tonight. He is a 7th year wrestler. He chose to wrestle tonight!! To me that is enough said. No disrespect but kem is the man!!
That’s all well and good, but it makes allowing Swaf to wrestle attached at the scuffle make even less sense. I literally see no chance it accomplishes anything if you’re going to allow an athlete of Kem’s level to determine if he’s fit to compete. I’m all for trusting the plan and I really get that collegiate athletics is cut throat, but having also spent some time coaching at a college level, I’ve seen that managing the NCAA clock is like a labyrinth of making well thought out decisions. As such, this just doesn’t check out. I’m sure I’m missing pieces to the puzzle and I may not ever be entitled to know what they are. I’m not TnT and it might take them ten seconds to prove to me that it all makes perfects sense. But those puzzle pieces are missing, and until I have them, I’ll be just that, puzzled.

Reactions: PinDoxRico
It really doesn't matter if he wrestles attached at the scuffle or not unless they wrestle Kem every match from here on out. Brands is out, I'm guessing they want Swafford to take over the roll of going when Kem doesn't. Kem wanted to go tonight.
Not sure why this is such a wild concept to understand. Cringeworthy stuff coming from the Swafford camp. Welcome to the big leagues I guess?? 🤷‍♂️

Not sure why this is such a wild concept to understand. Cringeworthy stuff coming from the Swafford camp. Welcome to the big leagues I guess?? 🤷‍♂️
I think that’s a little bit of an oversimplification. It doesn’t have to be impossible to say that this was still handled a little poorly AND that it makes sense if he’s the fill in back up moving forward. The scuffle still just doesn’t make sense to me, and I doubt it ever will. And that’s okay… I don’t think it’s the “sky is falling” moment it’s turning into, but it’s also not my family, and I’m just a fan with very little skin in the game.

Hell, I don’t even have a brother….I do have a brother-in-law, and he does live in North Liberty…..but Brands wouldn’t start him either…And I get that…he’s about a 125lber away from being a 149lber anymore…

What? He took all the shots!!! McKee countered and won. Simple as that. He won that one exchange. I’d rather have Ayala. Jmo
you don’t get points unless you finish the takedowns. iowa wrestling is above moral victories. mckee is 3-0. he’s out wrestled drake in the key moments of each match. he’s better. it’s not a great match up for drake.

Where did I say I wanted McKee? Yes he took a lot of shots but he didn't attack as much as the start tonight as he had before. McKee hit two big takedowns that were shots.

Reactions: Jrjt0518

Had this match started at 125, Swafford maybe goes. But it didn't. Kem (in his first match of the year) handled the guy that beat Swafford last weekend. If a guy like Kemerer wants the match, you give him the match. He's earned that right.

Drake has another good opponent on Sunday, shrug this one off and get back at it.

Ayala hit a dump on his comeback against Surtain, he’s gotta shot to his right side. Once he gets comfortable with that he’ll blow through McKee. Not worried. He’s got time.
He might surprise in wrestle backs. No give in the kid.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
Had this match started at 125, Swafford maybe goes. But it didn't. Kem (in his first match of the year) handled the guy that beat Swafford last weekend. If a guy like Kemerer wants the match, you give him the match. He's earned that right.
I can respect that take…

but damn… all of SEI was there.

ever seen that movie Carrie?

I feel like pigs blood was spilled on my entire family.

And I know it likely wasn’t intended… but that’s how it felt.

• Haha
Reactions: Gobblin and Chuck C
That’s all well and good, but it makes allowing Swaf to wrestle attached at the scuffle make even less sense. I literally see no chance it accomplishes anything if you’re going to allow an athlete of Kem’s level to determine if he’s fit to compete. I’m all for trusting the plan and I really get that collegiate athletics is cut throat, but having also spent some time coaching at a college level, I’ve seen that managing the NCAA clock is like a labyrinth of making well thought out decisions. As such, this just doesn’t check out. I’m sure I’m missing pieces to the puzzle and I may not ever be entitled to know what they are. I’m not TnT and it might take them ten seconds to prove to me that it all makes perfects sense. But those puzzle pieces are missing, and until I have them, I’ll be just that, puzzled.
If you’re wrestling attached, your entry fee, travel, etc., is paid for and arranged. If not, you’re on your own. That’s one reason wrestling attached for that tournament could make some sense. If the redshirt is likely to be pulled anyway, it could make more sense to pull it for the tournament so those things are handled for the athlete.

I agree with a previous post. As bad as AM looked, and not having six matches already in the book...174 was a must win match in this dual.

Kem wrestles when Kem wants. He's earned that status.

Running, crying to twitter didn't help the situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT