ADVERTISEMENT

MN PBP thread

157: Young vs. Lee

1st period:

Would be a huge upset for seeding purposes, obviously.

Kaleb with a quick shot but no score.

Lee shoots, Kaleb with a nice whipover but can't quite get him to his back. Does come around and finish the takedown. 2-0.

Lee up and out. 2-1. RT :12.

:50 left.

Lee with lots of hands to the face.

:30 left.

Lee with a left underhook, Kaleb clears out.

Period ends. 2-1, Kaleb. RT :12.

Reactions: Gusaford
pumped that kem is back and don't agree with the brother airing the dirty laundry, but a totally bizarre series of decisions from brands. if there was any question of kemerer wrestling tonight, why on earth would you wrestle swafford attached at the scuffle? and then why would you run the kid out in front of the media all week to talk about how long he's dreamt of this moment? only to change your mind? all they accomplished was to waste a kid's redshirt and alienate his family. unforced error.
Simple really. When you lose your all everything for the year, and your next big gun says he can go - he goes. Especially after the way some of the lineup wrestled tonight.

2nd period:

Kaleb takes bottom. Up and out fast. 3-1. RT :08 for Kaleb.

Hand fighting.

Kaleb shoots a double, no score, clears out.

Lee shoots, Kaleb defends.

:40 left.

Period ends.

3-1, Kaleb. RT :08.

Simple really. When you lose your all everything for the year, and your next big gun says he can go - he goes. Especially after the way some of the lineup wrestled tonight.
they knew all that before they wrestled him attached at the scuffle. there was no reason to do that. it makes no sense. this wouldn't have been a problem at all if they didn't. unforced error.

really dumb stall call to take right there. hope it doesn't bite him.

my glass half full position is that we've seen most hawk teams peak early and then wrestle below seed at nationals and now they're going to look rough early and overperform in march.
I think it has more to do with the strategy being played on us than anything else. Do you know how much harder it is to score when your opponent is only settling into a defensive position. This was the strat against us last year at NCAA’s and it’s been the strategy against Iowa so far this season.

Iowa hasn’t looked “Iowa like” yet this year, they’re not firing on all cylinders but a wrestling match requires two guys. Most of the guys we are facing are counter wrestling. Trying to steal it late and slow the pace.

3rd period:

Lee starts on bottom.

To his feet quickly. Kaleb returns him twice.

To his feet again. Kaleb working to return him and does OOB.

Crowd loving it.

Back to center. To his feet again. Stalling warning on Kaleb. Lee escapes. 3-2. RT :57,

Lee shooting repeatedly. Finally scores. 4-3. OOB.

Back to center. :15 left. Gotta get out.

Kaleb to his feet. Rolls and almost escapes but Lee hangs on the leg and time runs out.

Lee wins, 4-3.

Reactions: Jrjt0518
3rd period:

Lee starts on bottom.

To his feet quickly. Kaleb returns him twice.

To his feet again. Kaleb working to return him and does OOB.

Crowd loving it.

Back to center. To his feet again. Stalling warning on Kaleb. Lee escapes. 3-2. RT :57,

Lee shooting repeatedly. Finally scores. 4-3. OOB.

Back to center. :15 left. Gotta get out.

Kaleb to his feet. Rolls and almost escapes but Lee hangs on the leg and time runs out.

Lee wins, 4-3.
Great work tonight. Great job wwdm!!!!!

they knew all that before they wrestled him attached at the scuffle. there was no reason to do that. it makes no sense. this wouldn't have been a problem at all if they didn't. unforced error.
I’ll bet there was a reason and it will play out as it will. But I stand by what I said - if your big gun can go - he goes. Against a bitter rival, every day and twice on Sunday.

I think it has more to do with the strategy being played on us than anything else. Do you know how much harder it is to score when your opponent is only settling into a defensive position. This was the strat against us last year at NCAA’s and it’s been the strategy against Iowa so far this season.

Iowa hasn’t looked “Iowa like” yet this year, they’re not firing on all cylinders but a wrestling match requires two guys. Most of the guys we are facing are counter wrestling. Trying to steal it late and slow the pace.
With the exception of a handful of guys, the whole iowa way thing has become a myth the last 10 years. I find myself bored (engaged but bored) with the majority of our matches. Encouraged by the energy Ayala showed.

well drama queen, blame this on mineo. kem was not ready to wrestle tonight(gassed at the end). the only reason they sent him out was to shut up mineo.

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone

this is a tired excuse. hawk fans have been complaining about stalling for years. it's hollow.

all of the best wrestlers in the country deal with guys stalling against them. that's not new. this team just isn't doing enough to overcome it like they have in the past. they're flat right now.

With the exception of a handful of guys, the whole iowa way thing has become a myth the last 10 years. I find myself bored (engaged but bored) with the majority of our matches. Encouraged by the energy Ayala showed.
Well I disagree. Iowa does use pressure to create chances and it’s harder to do that when you’re constantly facing teams that only want to counter your shots and take it into deep water and steal it late.

Reactions: pawrestler4life
This. Love the guys we got. Just hoping the new blood will bring something that we have been missing for awhile. Only time will tell.

Reactions: pumpdog20
Well I disagree. Iowa does use pressure to create chances and it’s harder to do that when you’re constantly facing teams that only want to counter your shots and take it into deep water and steal it late.
then adapt or die. if your entire philosophy is predicated on wearing guys down in an age where training methods, nutrition, sports psychology, and most importantly scrambling/defensive wrestling are extremely advanced, that's a flawed philosophy imo.

it's not an accident that the most successful guys on this team are the ones that can score just as consistently in the first 30 seconds as the last. guys do not break as easily anymore. the way to actually break someone isn't to pull on their head for 6 minutes, it's to put points on the board and the match out of reach. nobody rolls over when they're still within 3 points.

this is a tired excuse. hawk fans have been complaining about stalling for years. it's hollow.

all of the best wrestlers in the country deal with guys stalling against them. that's not new. this team just isn't doing enough to overcome it like they have in the past. they're flat right now.
Call it tired all you want but watch a match from 10-15 years ago and tell me you don’t see a difference. Iowa fans say it because it’s true. Defensive wrestling has improved throughout the sport and that has discouraged many wrestlers from putting consistent forward pressure. It is what it is. We can disagree if that’s what you feel like doing.

• Haha
Reactions: JMSBFD and Jrjt0518
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT