ADVERTISEMENT

Morningstar on WUW

What I like and am optimistic about is that when pretty much everything related to the Hawkeye wrestling program fell apart after Spencer lost in the semis our coaching staff has picked itself up by its bootstraps and gone to work. They picked up two AA transfers along with two other solid transfers in Victor Voinovich and Joey Cruz. They also got a commitment from the number 1 recruit in the country. It seems like they have opened up a bit of a Cali pipeline getting 3X CA champ Estrada and appear hard at work in recruiting other top tier CA talent. What’ve you accomplished since March?

Recruits are great, but if you can't keep them healthy, it really doesn't matter.

TnT and M* also recruited Kemerer, Marinelli, Eierman, Woods, Ayala, Murin, Sorenson, Clark, Lee, McDonough, St. John etc etc etc. and they ALL suffered major injury. You can't keep thinking that its just bad luck.

Kueter is going to be a Monster! He is likely taking in 8-10k calories a day and packing it on. I would bet by the time he wrestles his first match for Iowa he is every bit of 250.
I’m in the middle of a month long vacation and I’ve easily put on 20lbs. I’m happy to share my recipes with Kueter, although some things he isn’t old enough to consume yet.

Which part did you like? The 1 seeds both being injured and losing? Our can't miss stud at 65 failing to AA? Our returning finalist at 197 getting 5th?
There were a lot of years I would have agreed with you. This year not at all. I actually think the Brands are evolving and making some good changes.

125 - that sucked, but he was as carefully monitored as he could have been this year.
133 - that was a hole, but he wasn't mismanaged.
141 - healthy and wrestling great at the end of the season. Also, looked loose and aggressive in the final (even though Brand's wrestlers are supposed to be too tight)
149 - absolutely peaked at the end
157 - Cobe was the only guy that fits your profile this year. But in all due respect, Cobe isn't the type of talent that you monitor work load.
165 - our freshman was round of 16 in a brutal bracket. Again, we wanted more, but he wasn't mismanaged.
174 - absolutely peaked at the end
184 - this is a hole, but he wasn't mismanaged.
197 - Peaked at the tournament every year!
hvy - Finished 4th. Seemed as healthy as ever. I do get that he used to be in the same conversation with Kerk and Paris, and now they've gone past.

Overall, your doom and gloom outlook doesn't fit what actually happened this season.

Recruits are great, but if you can't keep them healthy, it really doesn't matter.

TnT and M* also recruited Kemerer, Marinelli, Eierman, Woods, Ayala, Murin, Sorenson, Clark, Lee, McDonough, St. John etc etc etc. and they ALL suffered major injury. You can't keep thinking that its just bad luck.
We need new practice gear....
Team Mates Fun GIF by CreativPersonal

Guaranteed if you asked anyone of those guys if the coaching staff was responsible for their injuries, they’d all emphatically say no. At the end of last season l thought we’d be competing for 4th next season. With the off-season the staff has put together I think we’re comfortably 2nd again and slowly closing the gap on that blue and white dynasty out east.

Last edited:

keep beating that drum, you are a real asset to the iowa hawkeye wrestling program.

He has some good height to put on weight and his shoulders are wide, but he seems to have a small chest (width wise) I am not sure he has the bone structure to put on as much weight as you guys think. The guys that I know who are big always seem to have barrel chests.

Another question is, how much has he grown in the past few years? Didn't he wrestle 160 as a freshman? Time will tell for sure and he sure looks to be a stud and a half.

Reactions: natchrlman
Guaranteed if you asked anyone of those guys if the coaching staff was responsible for their injuries, they’d all emphatically say no. At the end of last season l thought we’d be competing for 4th next season. With off-season the staff has put together I think we’re comfortably 2nd again and slowly closing the gap on that blue and white dynasty out east.
I think we have to evaluate after the gambling info comes out

Guaranteed if you asked anyone of those guys if the coaching staff was responsible for their injuries, they’d all emphatically say no. At the end of last season l thought we’d be competing for 4th next season. With off-season the staff has put together I think we’re comfortably 2nd again and slowly closing the gap on that blue and white dynasty out east.
“Out East”??? 83% of their team say they are in the Midwest.

And just off the top of my head Cael and Co. recruited Howard, Cassar, Conel, Berge, Suriano, Nolf etc etc etc

I'm not saying we don't need improvements in our training, but I am saying if you look independently at any program I'm sure they all have had their share of issues. And newsflash wrestling is a tough sport where injuries occur.

Furthermore, Lee, Eierman, Ayala and St. John were injured in the midst of live wrestling matches, not during practice or training sessions. Lot of this seems unavoidable unless you sit guys out all the time. Then we can listen to all the bitching about that as well.

There were a lot of years I would have agreed with you. This year not at all. I actually think the Brands are evolving and making some good changes.

125 - that sucked, but he was as carefully monitored as he could have been this year.
133 - that was a hole, but he wasn't mismanaged.
141 - healthy and wrestling great at the end of the season. Also, looked loose and aggressive in the final (even though Brand's wrestlers are supposed to be too tight)
149 - absolutely peaked at the end
157 - Cobe was the only guy that fits your profile this year. But in all due respect, Cobe isn't the type of talent that you monitor work load.
165 - our freshman was round of 16 in a brutal bracket. Again, we wanted more, but he wasn't mismanaged.
174 - absolutely peaked at the end
184 - this is a hole, but he wasn't mismanaged.
197 - Peaked at the tournament every year!
hvy - Finished 4th. Seemed as healthy as ever. I do get that he used to be in the same conversation with Kerk and Paris, and now they've gone past.

Overall, your doom and gloom outlook doesn't fit what actually happened this season.
Calling Kennedy a freshman is true on paper but this was his 3rd full season on the team. He could actually be going into his senior year if he wrestled as a true freshman. With all the hoopla he has had since signing you would think he would be winning titles already. We all need to admit that our middleweight guys don't improve much while they are here wrestling with M*.

You think he's going to be better lugging around 30 lbs more of fat? He's better off naturally putting it on, not forcing it. And maybe take a page from the Lou Banach handbook.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT