ADVERTISEMENT

Murin

I know an assistent coach at SunnysidE HS in Tucson. More than that has no business on a forum.
I often like to say my guy has a full ride. He was promised that when he committed. Of course we also talked about submitting FAFSA to help the team. Which was done.

He pays nothing out of pocket, yet doesn't count the full 1.0 against the 9.9. There is a specific example for you that isn't 2nd hand information.

2nd hand this example is relayed as a full-ride and people think it means 1.0 (if they even care). If you asked his HS HEAD COACH (who is a great friend of mine), he would say "Zack is on a full ride."

RBY could well be paying no out-of-pocket and still not count 1.0 against the 9.9. In fact your earlier posts made the situation seem likely. Of course, the only people who know this are at PSU and in the RBY household.

Again, kind of a half knowledgeable take on the situation, despite the inside info. A LITTLE information makes people dangerous.

Reactions: crablegs1
Actually my spelling is usually pretty good. Nice catch was having a drink and cooking supper! ;) Actually did most of my classes through the University of Maryland while I was stationed overseas.

Sorry, it's morning, I'm grumpy early, and I'm one of those despicable grammar police.

Reactions: Hunter78
I often like to say my guy has a full ride. He was promised that when he committed. Of course we also talked about submitting FAFSA to help the team. Which was done.

He pays nothing out of pocket, yet doesn't count the full 1.0 against the 9.9. There is a specific example for you that isn't 2nd hand information.

2nd hand this example is relayed as a full-ride and people think it means 1.0 (if they even care). If you asked his HS HEAD COACH (who is a great friend of mine), he would say "Zack is on a full ride."

RBY could well be paying no out-of-pocket and still not count 1.0 against the 9.9. In fact your earlier posts made the situation seem likely. Of course, the only people who know this are at PSU and in the RBY household.

Again, kind of a half knowledgeable take on the situation, despite the inside info. A LITTLE information makes people dangerous.
You are so right, your limited response to something other than what was originally posted does tend to be dangerous. I’m sure your going off on what someone else’s situation might be fits your agenda but isn’t necessarily transferable to anyone else. Someone who qualify’s for a Pell grant most likely needs to be using that money for other necessities....ie cost of plane tickets to and from school, incidentals while at school.......he can receive the grant even though his scholarship covers all of his other costs...which would of course be a full ride scholarship. So maybe a “half knowledgeable take on the situation”, on your part. No information can make people dangerous.

Pell can give a max of basically $6,000 a year and is based on need. Any financial aid received through the school counts as athletic aid minus a couple exemptions. Now maybe they can take loans out from the fed as well but they still owe that.

The Federal Pell Grant is available to all undergraduate students who can demonstrate the requisite level of financial need. The total amount of aid received is determined by a combination of financial need, status as a full time or part time students, and the total cost of attendance at the student’s college or university. The current maximum annual award amount is $5,920.

Any student-athlete who receives any amount of athletic financial aid is considered a “counter” per NCAA rules. Once a student-athlete is considered a “counter” there are situations in which other types of financial aid may be required to be “counted” as athletic financial aid.

Any scholarships that a student-athlete will be receiving from groups such as a Rotary or Kiwanis club, a church youth group, or a high school booster club should be sent to the financial aid office of the college the student-athlete is attending. Most of these scholarships are permissible, but should be sent directly to the college so they can be processed properly.

In addition, if a student-athlete also receives an academic scholarship from their college or university due to their high school GPA or their ACT or SAT test score, the fact that they are already an NCAA “counter” may affect the value or receipt of their academic scholarship. Once a student-athlete is a “counter” all other financial aid received from their institution is required to “count” as if it is an athletic scholarship, unless the student-athlete qualifies for an exemption based on the level of their GPA, their class rank, or their ACT or SAT test score.

Reactions: Dagboi
Serious question, but why isn't how much a guy is getting from a school made public? Especially in this instance where they give partial schollys. Football and Basketball it's never brought up because they are given full rides, but wrestling is different. Couldn't/shouldn't they make this public knowledge?

Reactions: IRONBIRD and Dagboi
You are so right, your limited response to something other than what was originally posted does tend to be dangerous. I’m sure your going off on what someone else’s situation might be fits your agenda but isn’t necessarily transferable to anyone else. Someone who qualify’s for a Pell grant most likely needs to be using that money for other necessities....ie cost of plane tickets to and from school, incidentals while at school.......he can receive the grant even though his scholarship covers all of his other costs...which would of course be a full ride scholarship. So maybe a “half knowledgeable take on the situation”. No informationcan make people dangerous.

You are right that every situation is different. However, ALL the information available should be presented to discuss these scenarios. You are aware that the NCAA authorized an allowable stipend to be given to scholarship athletes a couple of years ago? This cost of attendance stipend - which is calculated by the financial aid office based on information provided to the federal government for the overall student body - was $4,788 in 2015 at PSU. It may be over $5,000 now. Some schools like FSU and Cincinnati (??) were over $6000 in 2015. In contrast, Iowa's was just over $3,300 off-campus and just over $2,000 on-campus in 2015. PSU, like many schools, does not differentiate between off-campus and on-campus (for football and basketball and as of 2015).

It is also up to the individual athletic department to decide how much of this stipend a non-football/basketball on partial scholarship will receive, but it makes sense that the most profitable athletic departments will give out the most. In this regard, you can thank the PSU (and probably tOSU) football teams for lending a big helping hand to their non-revenue sports athletes.

So many of these expenses that you just mentioned will be covered with a $5,000 check.

...You are aware that the NCAA authorized an allowable stipend to be given to scholarship athletes a couple of years ago? This cost of attendance stipend - which is calculated by the financial aid office based on information provided to the federal government for the overall student body - was $4,788 in 2015 at PSU. It may be over $5,000 now....So many of these expenses that you just mentioned will be covered with a $5,000 check.
This has been corroborated with documented evidence....Live footage of a grateful PSU wrestler receiving this year's check for "incidentals":

tumblr_ok49lffa9z1u501aoo8_400.gif

Not sure, but there is a reason everyone comes over to HR: HR is the gold standard of message boards. Not kissing ass, just telling it like it is and I'm a PSU guy. The board to stay AWAY from is "The Mat" which is a joke.
You know quite a few BWI posters on here can be pr%^ks just as long as that is not the case welcome.

This has been corroborated with documented evidence....Live footage of a grateful PSU wrestler receiving this year's check for "incidentals":

Dag, I hate to correct you on this, but I was there when this video was shot. This is actually a PSU wrestler getting their bi-annual wrestling camp bonus payout. And in case anyone get the wrong idea, I want you to know that carl, before hugging each wrestler (as shown in the video), gave strict instructions that this money is only to be used to fully pay off tuition and/or student loans with the remaining money to be used for parents house payment or investment in their PSU employee 401k. No crypto currency purchases allowed.

When the 2nd bonus payout comes in each year, they are allowed to do whatever they want with that, they and their parents should be debt free by that point.

Teske's only chance to wrestle will be next year. Adam Busiello, a junior commit, will be there guy at 125 for the future. That's what puzzles me regarding Teske's collegiate decision. Really makes no sense.

Hurt feelings. Cael recruited him since 8th grade, Iowa put very little time into his recruitment. From what I understand, we thought we could just get him due to his Iowa ties. He had a much better relationship with PSU coaching staff.

Hurt feelings. Cael recruited him since 8th grade, Iowa put very little time into his recruitment. From what I understand, we thought we could just get him due to his Iowa ties. He had a much better relationship with PSU coaching staff.
I don't think Iowa went after him at all, and I think there is a good reason for that. He isn't our future 125 and he's not a 133. From what I've seen, he looks like a really good HS wrestler, I don't see him having any impact in college, no mater where he goes. Thompsen is a different story I think, we missed the boat on that one.

I don't think Iowa went after him at all, and I think there is a good reason for that. He isn't our future 125 and he's not a 133. From what I've seen, he looks like a really good HS wrestler, I don't see him having any impact in college, no mater where he goes. Thompsen is a different story I think, we missed the boat on that one.

We went after him. Not sure how hard.

Last edited:

Looks like Cael and Boo Nipple. I can picture him saying “That’s what we do” after a nice hug spurred by a fat check.

Reactions: Neo_Hawk
Not sure, but there is a reason everyone comes over to HR: HR is the gold standard of message boards. Not kissing ass, just telling it like it is and I'm a PSU guy. The board to stay AWAY from is "The Mat" which is a joke.

Themat forum has sunk so low, I rarely bother anymore. So much trolling.

Serious question, but why isn't how much a guy is getting from a school made public? Especially in this instance where they give partial schollys. Football and Basketball it's never brought up because they are given full rides, but wrestling is different. Couldn't/shouldn't they make this public knowledge?

I am sure everyone would be yelling things like discrimination, none of your business etc....

BUT since it does involve a lot of $$$$ and corruption could be involved. It might make sense to show how scholarships are distributed amongst the athletes without naming who is getting what.

Could go like- 3 wrestlers are receiving full rides. 2 more are getting.75, 7 are getting .5 etc....

P.S. Would love to see F*** States!!!

Reactions: crablegs1

Teske is solid, but imo, not a recruit Iowa should be offering much scholly money. He's currently #7 in his weight class. iirc, Wasn't getting more $$$ a factor in his picking PSU?

Teske is solid, but imo, not a recruit Iowa should be offering much scholly money. He's currently #7 in his weight class. iirc, Wasn't getting more $$$ a factor in his picking PSU?
Teasdale is # 8...................................................

I am sure everyone would be yelling things like discrimination, none of your business etc....

BUT since it does involve a lot of $$$$ and corruption could be involved. It might make sense to show how scholarships are distributed amongst the athletes without naming who is getting what.

Could go like- 3 wrestlers are receiving full rides. 2 more are getting.75, 7 are getting .5 etc....

P.S. Would love to see F*** States!!!
It would definitely be interesting, and I guess I've never really thought about making these public. I think it would also help those guessing from year to year, as to how much scholly money would free up at the end of each year.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

2 of my favorite quotes from HST

heh heh, the great HST.

One of my favs was his "platform' for sheriff of Aspen. One of the issues was to allow the sale of drugs at a small profit. However, profiteering drug dealers would be, "broken, fu..ed, and driven across the land.

At that Iowa event, someone stood up and read the end of chapter 8 (6 P's from the end) of Las Vegas, from "Strange memories.......... Some of the best and insightful Gonzo prose of all time.

Reactions: Dagboi and Hunter78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT