ADVERTISEMENT

Name a feature in a house that is overrated or you don't like

That would be annoying as hell.
Don't know about the one in the pic but most of those open like a drawer. You just set the food down in it and push it closed.

825225910367_05492339.jpg

Reactions: srams21
Yes. I guess it was useful for those that dispose of 3 metric tons of garbage per week and wanted to be able to fit it in a 96 gallon rollaway trash bin.
Those must use some strong ass bags. He get the good Hefty kind and when we take them out sometimes they are about to break. I couldn't imagine them holding up to multiple times as much mass in there.

Yes. I guess it was useful for those that dispose of 3 metric tons of garbage per week and wanted to be able to fit it in a 96 gallon rollaway trash bin.

Those things were terrible,.. Could never understand why anyone would want to collect and hold garbage in their kitchen..

Reactions: goldmom
Some pretty good ones in this thread. We have built a few houses and learned along the way. Our last two have not had a tub in the master bath... because we almost never took baths... showers only. We have a deck, but it's composite. Looks good after years and cleans easy. Only negative is on hot days you better have some socks or shoes on. We got the house wired for sounds/speakers, but have wireless we use instead so that was a waste of $$$.

I will tease my wife about a couple of things though cuz she insisted on open shelves along one part of our kitchen, I thought it was odd at first, but got used to it. Its only 2 shelves with the top hold some cook books, plant and a couple fancy vase thingys. Lower shelve has nice glasses, bowels and plates. I will say it does look nice. All the plastic Hawkeye cups and random stuff are in a drawer. We also have that larger entry, but she has it set up nice with a bench and the area leads up/down and into rest of house so it doesn't feel too big or out of place.

We also have our microwave in a built in cabinet vs above stove or under counter. It's fine for all of us except the 5 year old, but he doesn't use it anyway.

One thing I hate and plan to redo soon if in the bathroom the kids use there is a little wooden cabinet divider between the two sinks. has a few small drawers and then and cabinet with shelves. It's basically empty and the edges where it sits on the counter are warped/wood water damaged from the boys splashing water or leaving some water on the counter touching the wood. Also make it feel smaller. It's just dumb.

We just built recently... I'm not a fan of separated dining rooms, but I also hate the small nook eating areas most new constructions have now instead. Our dining area is open off of the kitchen like those but is a big enough area for a full size dining table, buffet, etc.

I also love open concept and its the best part of the new place. Hosting is soooo much more enjoyable and as someone who works from home I hate the claustrophobic feel of the older homes with separated living space and low ceilings.

We just built recently... I'm not a fan of separated dining rooms, but I also hate the small nook eating areas most new constructions have now instead. Our dining area is open off of the kitchen like those but is a big enough area for a full size dining table, buffet, etc.

I also love open concept and its the best part of the new place. Hosting is soooo much more enjoyable and as someone who works from home I hate the claustrophobic feel of the older homes with separated living space and low ceilings.

We have a similar dining situation. The kitchen is really large, with a spot where you could put a little table and chairs, but we added the option of a “morning room” that is a 13x13 bump out right off the kitchen. That’s our dining room. There is a room at the front that is designed to either be a formal dining room or an office, I configured it for my office.

we then have a 4x9 foot island which would be great except it has the sink in it. I would prefer the island not have a sink, for entertaining purposes. But when we have friends we spread out quite a bit. We have a large screened porch that steps out to a patio. So people congregate in small groups spread all over.

Reactions: ThriceHawk
They also match my "wood" paneled grocery getter.

My 85 Wagoneer had the "wood panel" stickers. It looked good without but had a certain amount of style with (really needed a new sticker kit). Miss that truck, but it needed a FI conversion and I wasn't willing to put that much money into it.

I second the dining room. In our last room it became a kids homework area. In our new house, it was always and office instead of a dining room when we bought it, which was great. A dining room is totally useless space to our family.

We also have a massive master bedroom that is a waste of space in our new house. Could have been an additional room. For us, the bedroom is for sleeping and for sex and that's it. We don't have a TV in there, or chairs for some kind of sitting area, so it's just way too much unused space.

This doesn't count because it's furniture, but I don't like/use dressers. Hate them. I want my clothes stacked on racks in the closet where I can see everything, not in drawers. In the new place we got these three door cabinets from Ikea with shelves behind the doors, and its perfect. The funny thing is for years my wife chided me for hatting dressers and not using one, but when we got the new house, she was like "You know, I don't think I want a dresser either. Shelves are way easier to deal with."

Lawns.

Basically any house in the upper Midwest you are expected to have/maintain a lush green lawn. It’s impossible unless you have unlimited time/money to throw at it. I have no desire to live in the desert except for the fact that I would be happy with 0 lawn care.

Reactions: z_ape and artradley
Garages that have a separator at the entrance between the 2 bays.

OMG a hundred times this. My old house had this with about 4 inches clearance for a full size SUV, and my wife wouldn't dare pull her car in and out at all. Totally useless and for no effing reason.

Reactions: funksouljon
When you are house hunting, what features, amenities, or fixtures do you think are overrated?

For me, it's a swimming pool. Now, if I were in a warmer climate I would consider it. However, for the Upper Midwest, I don't want to deal with a pool only to be able to use it for about 3 months out of the year. I feel the same way about fireplaces.

What say you HROT?

I agree with you on this. Don't want a pool. Too much work for so little use in this part of the country.

Reading your post and feeling ashamed I love polished silver/chrome....

They can work with the right overall scheme and if you’ve got nice higher end stuff. What I was really referring to is that contractors go out and just get these cheap, ugly sets and throw them in every house.

So you get crap like this as your ki

091712391708.jpg

Instead of something like this

026508295380_11066245.jpg

And you get crap like this as your bathroom sink faucets

028905047357.jpg

instead of something like this

000138264350.jpg

OMG a hundred times this. My old house had this with about 4 inches clearance for a full size SUV, and my wife wouldn't dare pull her car in and out at all. Totally useless and for no effing reason.

Add to it, if you put any storage or stuff around the perimeter, it makes getting a full size vehicle in basically impossible.

In addition, I thought high ceilings and the double deep were kind of blah, I would LOVE to have them. Really add to the usable space for a small extra footprint.

Reactions: Nole Lou
They can work with the right overall scheme and if you’ve got nice higher end stuff. What I was really referring to is that contractors go out and just get these cheap, ugly sets and throw them in every house.

So you get crap like this as your ki

091712391708.jpg

Instead of something like this

026508295380_11066245.jpg

And you get crap like this as your bathroom sink faucets

028905047357.jpg

instead of something like this

000138264350.jpg
To me the difference is not the finish, it is the style. I prefer this:
kohler-k-22974-wb-cp-7011987.jpg

over this
885612861313.jpg

Last edited:
Jack and Jill bathroom- sounded cool when kids were young, now when they’re older it’s too small for both. Better to just have each kid have his/her own bathroom.

Basement bars - Seems most everyone puts one in when they finish their basement but who wants to have a party in the basement?

Oh, and “man caves.”
What's a basement?

Me too. I also don't like stainless steel.
JHC, I swear EVERY SINGLE THING in our house is bad. We're putting in stainless faucets.

I'm gonna slit my wrists before this thread is through!!! ☹️

But I still love you, you little Birchy. 😊

• Haha
Reactions: hawkbirch
JHC, I swear EVERY SINGLE THING in our house is bad. We're putting in stainless faucets.

We have slate instead of stainless appliances. It is supposed to be better because it doesn't show fingerprints as much. The downside is it is only available for GE Appliances.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Tub in the master. Just give me a bigger walk in shower.
The front living/sitting/dining area in our house is mostly unused space. Other than it lets my wife redecorate every 6 months as she changes her mind what she wants in that space. We use the dining room table about twice a year and the seating in the front room.....never. The dogs enjoy it though. They sit on the couches/chairs and wait for us to come home.

Reactions: blackbones
Tub in the master. Just give me a bigger walk in shower.
The front living/sitting/dining area in our house is mostly unused space. Other than it lets my wife redecorate every 6 months as she changes her mind what she wants in that space. We use the dining room table about twice a year and the seating in the front room.....never. The dogs enjoy it though. They sit on the couches/chairs and wait for us to come home.
That living room in our house has been repurposed as an office. Dining room also gets used 2x a year. Wish we had an open concept but we don’t. Not moving so it is what it is.

That living in our house has been repurposed as an office. Dining room also gets used 2x a year. Wish we had an open concept but we don’t. Not moving so it is what it is.
Wife and I share a bedroom that has been turned into an office. Don't want to walk into the house and see two desks and related crap first thing.

Wife and I share a bedroom that has been turned into an office. Don't want to walk into the house and see two desks and related crap first thing.
Yeah I get that. ours is a traditional 2 story and the office is tucked around the corner from the entry.

Love you too!! I'm glad you are back and feeling better.

Reactions: Herkmeister
Too long of a thread to go through....I would never own a triple shower. However Iowa City days....visiting other houses....great investment by them for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT