ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Selection Show

To some guys who have never won a B1G title or aren't a likely national champion, wrestling at B1Gs is super important. For those who want a better seed at nationals, B1Gs is important. For those few who have greater aspirations and seeding is less important, defaulting twice isn't the end of the world. You disagree?

I don't disagree that this was the smart choice, but only because he's not healthy. If he was actually healthy (your claim, not mine) there is no reason to default.

Haven’t read through the thread so I’m sure the Snafu at 174 is covered. After I saw 165, I remember how Cornell ducked Carr at 165 and kept him from avenging a loss at CKLV a few weeks before. Ramirez wrestled the two duals that day but sat against ISU in the finals.

So what have coaches and fans learned? Ducking works.

Haven’t read through the thread so I’m sure the Snafu at 174 is covered. After I saw 165, I remember how Cornell ducked Carr at 165 and kept him from avenging a loss at CKLV a few weeks before. Ramirez wrestled the two duals that day but sat against ISU in the finals.

So what have coaches and fans learned? Ducking works.
Not for Franek, who somehow ended up behind Robb after beating him twice but sitting out the last match at conferences (after having already beaten him once at the conference tournament.)

Not for Franek, who somehow ended up behind Robb after beating him twice but sitting out the last match at conferences (after having already beaten him once at the conference tournament.)
Because they actually do have a data point for that specific instance in the "formula" since it actually happened in the conference tourney. Sadly, I just don't see how they can ever account for "ducking" during the season when they are trying to use a strict formula. Without human intervention on a case by case basis, nothing would change.

In fact, I would be willing to bet that no one on the committee knew, let alone considered doing anything, about Ramirez sitting out that dual

Enjoying the hell out of our surprising true frosh (Davis, who may well AA), but I think Ayala wins gold, Real finds last year’s form, and Franek gets to Friday night. Also think Zach under the seed 3 or 4 branch would've reached semi’s (like AB, Hidlay’s a bridge too far). Next year, though, both bridges come down, and if TB dares let AJ in the room, Zach beats him outright.

If Iowa does finish 9th, it'll be the lowest team finish since 1971-1972 under then head coach David McCuskey.

We're talking the lowest finish in 42 years...yeah, I think Hawkeye fans would have plenty to be upset about.
Your math is a little off, it would be 52 years, but 9th place isn't happening.
None of what you say is what I am arguing against. I would be the last person going against Cael for his decision. If you actually READ, I am extremely complimentary of damn near everything he and PSU does. I ONLY do my best to go after the FANS like you.

You are the one that said he is HEALTHY. That is the SOLE thing I am arguing against with you. That is beyond an asinine take. Its the equivalent of Iowa saying McDonough was healthy. As such, I am making fun of your take that all of this was don'e because Cael was so brilliant that he knew Carter was healthy, but didn't want to risk him getting hurt some other way.

It is such an hilarious take because you would then just do that with ALL your runaway best guys to ensure they make it to NCAA's unscathed. The simple truth is Carter has a significant injury that he is going to wrestle through and is in the best shape he can be for what he is dealing with. THAT, is why I told you not to be "that guy"....
I am not arguing with your point, and this is just a devil's advocate position I'm taking, but none of us know how hurt he is, or ever was. He might have ben fine two days after the Edinboro match. It could all be a ploy to make everyone say how amazing and tough he is, battling back from a major injury. The fact that he didn't wrestle B1Gs leads me to believe that's not the case, but it is a possibility. None of us know how severe the injury was/is, so it's all speculation. If he's really 100% then Mehki got screwed (but not worse than Alex did twice). If he's 70-80%, then Mehki needs to be ready a little early (qtrs.)
Disagree. I think there are three guys at 165 who can beat Mesenbrink, and they're all on the top side, away from him. That's....fortunate.

Well, big brain guy, using your deep understanding of logic and human physiology, why did any of the Penn State guys wrestle at B1Gs? Why didn't they all default twice?
That's very fortunate. Ramirez getting the 3 seed is fine with me though, because of him, Carr, and Hamiti, he's the one I most want to see Caliendo face in the quarters. I think Hamiti is the only one of them that could beat Messnbrink anyway. I don't think he would let the match get away from him again, assuming he could get the same start as last time.

Last edited:

I am not arguing with your point, and this is just a devil's advocate position I'm taking, but none of us know how hurt he is, or ever was. He might have ben fine two days after the Edinboro match. It could all be a ploy to make everyone say how amazing and tough he is, battling back from a major injury. The fact that he didn't wrestle B1Gs leads me to believe that's not the case, but it is a possibility. None of us know how severe the injury was/is, so it's all speculation. If he's really %100 then Mehki got screwed (but not worse than Alex did twice). If he's 70-80%, then Mehki needs to be ready a little early (qtrs.)

That's very fortunate. Ramirez getting the 3 seed is fine with me though, because of him, Carr, and Hamiti, he's the one I most want to see Caliendo face in the quarters. I think Hamiti is the only one that could beat Messnbrink anyway. I don't think he would let the match get away from him again, assuming he could get the same start as last time.
Why don't you believe O'Toole can beat Messenbrink? Or Carr for that matter.

Where should Hamiti have been seeded?
I would have loved to see O'Toole #1, Mesenbrink #2, Carr #3 (give him a chance with MM and not O'Toole again), #4 Ramirez, #5 Caliendo, #6 Hamiti (let him get a rematch with Mesenbrink - what an amazing match).
I would love to see a few of those other match-ups besides O'Toole v. Carr

Caliendo would still have to go through Ramirez

I am not arguing with your point, and this is just a devil's advocate position I'm taking, but none of us know how hurt he is, or ever was. He might have ben fine two days after the Edinboro match. It could all be a ploy to make everyone say how amazing and tough he is, battling back from a major injury. The fact that he didn't wrestle B1Gs leads me to believe that's not the case, but it is a possibility. None of us know how severe the injury was/is, so it's all speculation. If he's really %100 then Mehki got screwed (but not worse than Alex did twice). If he's 70-80%, then Mehki needs to be ready a little early (qtrs.)

That's very fortunate. Ramirez getting the 3 seed is fine with me though, because of him, Carr, and Hamiti, he's the one I most want to see Caliendo face in the quarters. I think Hamiti is the only one that could beat Messnbrink anyway. I don't think he would let the match get away from him again, assuming he could get the same start as last time.
O'Toole is CONSIDERABLY better than Hamiti. I was jumping on the Messenbrink bandwagon until I watched that match. I do think Messenbrink still makes the Finals, but I would be very surprised if he beats O'Toole.

Enjoying the hell out of our surprising true frosh (Davis, who may well AA), but I think Ayala wins gold, Real finds last year’s form, and Franek gets to Friday night. Also think Zach under the seed 3 or 4 branch would've reached semi’s (like AB, Hidlay’s a bridge too far). Next year, though, both bridges come down, and if TB dares let AJ in the room, Zach beats him outright.
The 6 seed was what I was hoping for Zack. He had a much better chance at the semis then.

Why don't you believe O'Toole can beat Messenbrink? Or Carr for that matter.

O'Toole is CONSIDERABLY better than Hamiti. I was jumping on the Messenbrink bandwagon until I watched that match. I do think Messenbrink still makes the Finals, but I would be very surprised if he beats O'Toole.
I was saying OF THOSE THREE Hamiti would be the most likely to beat him. I most definitely think O'Toole can beat him. In fact, I'm counting on it. We don't need another PSU potential 4-timer out there. I really like the way Messenbrink wrestles, but Hamiti showed he's not infallible if you wrestle a good strategic match, which O'Toole is very good at, and is more sound defensively than the rest of that pack.
I should have been more specific in my original post. The discussion was Hamiti, Carr, and Ramirez, and I assumed everyone knew that's who I was talking about.

Its a great country, isn't it? We can disagree vehemently on something with no repercussions for doing so. You are obviously entitled to your opinion.

With that said, NO I don't think the match is irrelevant. I didn't just say ignore the match. I gave a multitude of reasons where I think the match is overvalued due to those other factors. Also, YES I absolutely think a match on December 1st is less valuable than a match in March. This is especially true in DI wrestling. With how wrestlers peak today, i am EXTREMELY confident the current Carr version beats Ramirez.

My overall point is simple. David Carr's total season was actually better than Ramirez's. His quality wins is substantially higher and his losses are better. That along with his coaches ranking, IMHO, should be enough to trump a very close 4-3 loss in December.

Also, ebo5 made a GREAT, VERY IMPORTANT point. Ramirez also sat out a dual against ISU. That is significant as it blocked Carr from a chance to avenge that loss just 17 days later. If Ramirze beat him again, there would be no argument. If Carr would have won, the seeds end up exactly how I said they should. Being able to sit out the dual after is damn near the same as Franek not wrestling for 3rd after beating Robb a couple of matche earlier. In Franek's case he was severely penalized. In Ramirez's case it is irrelevant because there is NO data point in the formula for when that happens during the season...
Dayton Fix sat out the dual with Lehigh as well and was rewarded with the #1 seed.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
I was saying OF THOSE THREE Hamiti would be the most likely to beat him. I most definitely think O'Toole can beat him. In fact, I'm counting on it. We don't need another PSU potential 4-timer out there. I really like the way Messenbrink wrestles, but Hamiti showed he's not infallible if you wrestle a good strategic match, which O'Toole is very good at, and is more sound defensively than the rest of that pack.
I should have been more specific in my original post. The discussion was Hamiti, Carr, and Ramirez, and I assumed everyone knew that's who I was talking about.
Is Hamiti healthy? I thought I saw something about him getting hurt in the finals match.

Did Carr get screwed?
Yeah, maybe, but for being a senior, I think some of his strategy against guys is questionable.
A likely single title with his high school accolades has to be relatively disappointing.

Coaching issue????

Because they actually do have a data point for that specific instance in the "formula" since it actually happened in the conference tourney. Sadly, I just don't see how they can ever account for "ducking" during the season when they are trying to use a strict formula. Without human intervention on a case by case basis, nothing would change.

In fact, I would be willing to bet that no one on the committee knew, let alone considered doing anything, about Ramirez sitting out that dual

Exactly. It’s been a point of emphasis. But they lost their damn mind at 174.

Reactions: Inthecircle
Sorry if I misunderstood. Up until the match with Hamiti I simply thought Messenbrink is going to be too much for everyone. But, Hamiti was able to show he is very susceptible to counters and O'Toole is a master at that. As long as O'Toole's gas tank is there, he is just too good defensively if Messenbrink constantly attacks. For Messenbrink to win I absolutely think he needs to be much more calculating in his offense, pick his spots and slow down if he gets any kind of a lead...

My biggest takeaway is that they are seemingly putting much more weight on conference championships than they have in the past.

Which sort of makes sense after all of the backlash the past few years about people MFFing matches. And I don’t entirely disagree. It puts them in a tough spot to subjectively try and guess who would’ve won a match. Where treating every MFF/Inj Def the same as any other loss makes it much more objective.
Yup

Reactions: ping72
Is Hamiti healthy? I thought I saw something about him getting hurt in the finals match.
I wrote something about Hamiti getting injured, I still believe this to be true but obviously not confirmed. We will know soon enough if what I saw was correct or me just not understanding why he completely fell apart after dominating the first half of the match and not breathing hard while this was all happening.

Reactions: ping72
Sorry if I misunderstood. Up until the match with Hamiti I simply thought Messenbrink is going to be too much for everyone. But, Hamiti was able to show he is very susceptible to counters and O'Toole is a master at that. As long as O'Toole's gas tank is there, he is just too good defensively if Messenbrink constantly attacks. For Messenbrink to win I absolutely think he needs to be much more calculating in his offense, pick his spots and slow down if he gets any kind of a lead...
Good analysis.

It's why Carr is struggling against KOT.

Too aggressive because KOT is a counter guy/scoring off opponents shots.

Last edited:
Vito got jammed badly at 6. Ayala avoided Deaug, that's huge. Lookout for Franek, I actually think he's going to make a long run.

I like three hawks to at least go semis, Ayala, Franek, and Glazier and I think Teske pulls off at least one upset as a landmine.

The 6 seed was what I was hoping for Zack. He had a much better chance at the semis then.
Would've been best. After Soldier Salute, Zach became my favorite Hawk (replacing Real, who I still like a lot). So much so, that if Lions have no real threat for the 2025 crown at 197, I'm pulling for Zach. Love the "paying dues behind Warner" backstory, on top of standing up to AJ. Don't even see a world where the oiled-up mirror boy beats Zach out.

Reactions: blcoach80
I wrote something about Hamiti getting injured, I still believe this to be true but obviously not confirmed. We will know soon enough if what I saw was correct or me just not understanding why he completely fell apart after dominating the first half of the match and not breathing hard while this was all happening.
It was pretty strange, Hamiti was abusing him then 10 seconds later he had nothing. Wasn't it 9-2 with almost 2 minutes riding time?
I'd be shocked if he didn't tweak something. Hope it's not serious if he is injured.

Reactions: Grip220
Never heard of Owen Trephan but must have beaten some good heavies to get the 8 seed. If Hill takes that one, he would have a rematch with Feldman. I hope he can win a few on the backside for the team.

Reactions: Inthecircle
It was pretty strange, Hamiti was abusing him then 10 seconds later he had nothing. Wasn't it 9-2 with almost 2 minutes riding time?
I'd be shocked if he didn't tweak something. Hope it's not serious if he is injured.
very strange because there did not seem to be any sort of injury and Hamiti is known for having a really good gas tank. Maybe he just hit a wall and was shocked when he was put to his back, but he was stumbling a bit after he shook hands. Hopefully he is healthy, what a jam packed weight class.

Hamiti fell off a cliff. He was going way, way too hard to keep pace with Mesenbrink and then just imploded with 90s left in the match. He actually lasted longer than I thought he would, but it’s a 7min match.

If that match was at NCAAs and Mesenbrink got Hamiti in a Friday morning quarter, right off the scale (<3hrs or so) as opposed to 8+ hours, that would’ve been a bloodbath. Caliendo actually impressed me in the dual with how well he stood up to Mesenbrink’s onslaught. Even managed to get to his own offense late in the match.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Never heard of Owen Trephan but must have beaten some good heavies to get the 8 seed. If Hill takes that one, he would have a rematch with Feldman. I hope he can win a few on the backside for the team.
Winning 1 on the back might be the ceiling.

To some guys who have never won a B1G title or aren't a likely national champion, wrestling at B1Gs is super important. For those who want a better seed at nationals, B1Gs is important. For those few who have greater aspirations and seeding is less important, defaulting twice isn't the end of the world. You disagree?
I disagree with the last part because Carter seemed pretty pissed off about not competing, no?

Reactions: Trapper85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT