ADVERTISEMENT

NDSU AA's Caliendo and Franek Announce Transfer to Iowa

No Ferraris are sitting,..
Anthony mentioned going 49 to 65, but he looks big for 57, which is probably where he planned on going this year until Franek transferred. If he’s hell bent to not use a redshirt, he may challenge voinevich , otherwise he’s redshirting, which technically isn’t sitting. I believe he could get 4 varsity matches without burning his shirt, which would let the coaches see what he can do in real competition, and help keep Franek fresh, which those 6-7 year guys need.

I have no idea what this means. Lol

I don’t think anyone sees it as optimal for either guy but perhaps it is optimal for the team.

But that seems like the most complex answer to our questions. In these cases the answer is usually much more simple.
It means they’re both AA’s, eh?
No but I don’t know why you’re asking me this. All other things held equal, Franek makes a lot of sense. Caliendo, less so. And it isn’t that it isn’t possible to upgrade over Kennedy, but more about what his motivation would be for coming. He will be in a dog fight for 165 as him and Kennedy are a coin flip. Is one moving up? Is Nelson? Are there major suspensions coming? One has to wonder because at face value it doesn’t pass the sniff test.
No? So what doesn’t compute? These guys DID AA last season.

It means they’re both AA’s, eh?

Caliendo was 7th. Not to demean him in any way—he is a great wrestler with a bright future—but let’s not pretend that’s an untouchable territory. 165 was a brutal bracket and the highest seeded wrestler he beat was the 12 seed. Him and PK didn’t wrestle any of the same guys at the NCAAs. If there’s a difference between the two it is razor thin and I’d think a guy of Caliendo’s stature would pick a school with a clear opportunity to start. Thus another reason I think something is afoot “we” don’t know about.

No? So what doesn’t compute? These guys DID AA last season.

I think I’ve explained it 4 different ways now. Lol It is just my 2 cents. Could be wrong.

Caliendo was 7th. Not to demean him in any way—he is a great wrestler with a bright future—but let’s not pretend that’s an untouchable territory. 165 was a brutal bracket and the highest seeded wrestler he beat was the 12 seed. Him and PK didn’t wrestle any of the same guys at the NCAAs. If there’s a difference between the two it is razor thin and I’d think a guy of Caliendo’s stature would pick a school with a clear opportunity to start. Thus another reason I think something is afoot “we” don’t know about.

I think I’ve explained it 4 different ways now. Lol It is just my 2 cents. Could be wrong.
I thought he got 5th.

This is what I was thinking also. Franek makes sense. He has a clear path to a one-year starting position and high national finish. I don’t understand the Caliendo move from his perspective as Kennedy is a tough out and I think the coaching staff loves PK’s leadership. Even if Kennedy is caught up in the gambling stuff (which I doubt), it probably would only create a temporary window of opportunity for Caliendo. And there’s Anthony Ferrari waiting in the wings. And 174 is no clear path with Brands and Arnold.

This is what I was thinking also. Franek makes sense. He has a clear path to a one-year starting position and high national finish. I don’t understand the Caliendo move from his perspective as Kennedy is a tough out and I think the coaching staff loves PK’s leadership. Even if Kennedy is caught up in the gambling stuff (which I doubt), it probably would only create a temporary window of opportunity for Caliendo. And there’s Anthony Ferrari waiting in the wings. And 174 is no clear path with Brands and Arnold.

Good summary. Something is up. I’m convinced.

Sorry, I liked it anyway.

You don’t have to apologize for anything. But he’s not beating out Franek, Kennedy, Caliendo, or Brands. And that’s if he’s even on the team which there’s no guarantee at this point.

Reactions: drunkengoat
Couple more points as to why Caliendo may have chosen Iowa. (1) He wrestled for Izzy Style which has a good relationship with Iowa. (2) In his post NCAA interview, he gave a lot of credit to training with Franek every day. Maybe they were set on transferring to the same school. Iowa works well for Franek and Caliendo has the balls to take on the challenges of trying to break into the lineup. If so, I like it.

Naw. Not complaining at all. Love the Caliendo pickup. Not sure I understand the Franek one though. Kennedy would have placed the exact same with the same path. I've never been a recruit-over guys. Bring in guys who over those who are not producing (Schreiver/Teske, Cobe, Assad, 197) - sure.

But I will echo the above sentiment this is good for Iowa Wrestling. These moves make for a better room, a better lineup and more points at NCAAs. So good job Tom.
Brands has never been a master planner, where he tries to fit guys into the lineup. He lets them fight it out. It’s hurt us in the past with empty weights that could have been filled if Brands had told a guy early in summer that he’s going down. But..that’s not Brands. If a guy wants to wrestle for Iowa, Brands let’s them figure it out. With depth, maybe it works out better. For better or worse, Brands has been consistent that way.

Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
For the sake of accuracy, Kennedy went 2-2, losing in the R16. So, basically, he tied for 13th. If top 13 is a black hole to you, you are setting the bar way too high and will NEVER be satisfied...

Think he was taking about Facundo

Think he was taking about Facundo
Even then he was wrong. Facundo went 0-2 not 1-2. Still, it was only his 1st season and he was a top 20 guy all year. Granted, you see so many PSU guys in the Finals that you set the bar so high. But, if Facundo is the 9th or 10th best on your team, your team is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY........good!

The starting spots on the team. I just have to believe there’s a departure, weight change (multiple?), or season/career long suspension factoring in to the lineup from 157-184 because otherwise none of this computes to me.
Id be shocked if these moves don’t end up being related to the gambling investigations

Reactions: el dub
Alright, so if we get Stevenson, how can we fill '33, '84 and '97? Best case, AJ wrestles at "97, but that still leaves two glaring holes at '33 and '84. I'm mostly shocked that '33 will be a hole for us two years in a row.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Even then he was wrong. Facundo went 0-2 not 1-2. Still, it was only his 1st season and he was a top 20 guy all year. Granted, you see so many PSU guys in the Finals that you set the bar so high. But, if Facundo is the 9th or 10th best on your team, your team is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY........good!
Got anymore hairs you want to split? My response was to the post saying that we have holes at 33 and 97.

We have a hole at 97 and a guy at 33 who will be a low end AA at best.

Well PSU has had a hole at 25 for years and their 65 was a black hole at nationals and when the chips were counted he was no better than our 133 who is apparently a black hole. Nobody notices when their guys underperform because it's rare...and it rarely matters for them that one or two guys didn't meet their seeds.

And GMAFB with your crap about expectations being too high. This is Iowa wrestling, high expectations are the norm. You think PK doesn't have higher expectations than 2-2? He darned well better.

Alright, so if we get Stevenson, how can we fill '33, '84 and '97? Best case, AJ wrestles at "97, but that still leaves two glaring holes at '33 and '84. I'm mostly shocked that '33 will be a hole for us two years in a row.
If we have Stevenson and AJ next year, we may have a shot at defeating PSU dream team with those weak weights

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Got anymore hairs you want to split? My response was to the post saying that we have holes at 33 and 97.

We have a hole at 97 and a guy at 33 who will be a low end AA at best.

Well PSU has had a hole at 25 for years and their 65 was a black hole at nationals and when the chips were counted he was no better than our 133 who is apparently a black hole. Nobody notices when their guys underperform because it's rare...and it rarely matters for them that one or two guys didn't meet their seeds.

And GMAFB with your crap about expectations being too high. This is Iowa wrestling, high expectations are the norm. You think PK doesn't have higher expectations than 2-2? He darned well better.
The truth is only ONE team in DI history has ever had 10 AA’s. You can twist it all you want because a freshman went 0-2, but he was arguably the 9th or 10th best guy on his team and he was still a 13 seed at the deepest weight in the country.

You can have whatever expectations you wish. But, if that is your worst or 2nd worst guy in your starting lineup, you are about as guaranteed as you can be to have the best team in the country. In fact, the 2nd best team probably wouldn’t even be close…

Reactions: el dub
The truth is only ONE team in DI history has ever had 10 AA’s. You can twist it all you want because a freshman went 0-2, but he was arguably the 9th or 10th best guy on his team and he was still a 13 seed at the deepest weight in the country.

You can have whatever expectations you wish. But, if that is your worst or 2nd worst guy in your starting lineup, you are about as guaranteed as you can be to have the best team in the country. In fact, the 2nd best team probably wouldn’t even be close…
Not wrong. Iowa needs to keep doing what they are doing, bringing in as many top recruits as they can (Arnold, Keuter, Ang. Ferrari etc) and bringing in as many solid kids through the portal (Caliendo, Franek, Anthony Ferrari, Voinovich, Cruz) as they can. Close the gap little by little and eventually break through and start winning National Championships again.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT