ADVERTISEMENT

Need to unload half the team and replace via the portal. By and large MAC/YMCA talent on this pathetic team. The NIT IS AN ABSOLUTE EMBARRASSMENT!!

NIT is dogshit and useless.
It’s not useless if you have young guys who could benefit from the experience. Iowa was likely going to get run out of the gym by a vastly superior athletic team in game one had they squeaked into the tournament, so honestly it’s not the worst outcome.

The problem is exactly what you posted in the title of your OP. At least half the players on the roster should be suiting up for a bottom tier Missouri Valley team. I honestly don’t know how much you can fault Fran for the talent level, though, if he doesn’t get the NIL support.

Maybe more fans would be willing to put financial support into the basketball program if they had more faith in Fran. I don’t know what the answer is, but I do know Iowa basketball has not been relevant since Lute Olsen and the early Tom Davis years.

That was a long ass time ago.

Wisconsin not parlaying their NIT championship into much of a followup season.

Fran would play Krikke/PMAC same minutes. If Perkins is planning on leaving, then NIT would be time to give the keys to Harding.

It’s not useless if you have young guys who could benefit from the experience. Iowa was likely going to get run out of the gym by a vastly superior athletic team in game one had they squeaked into the tournament, so honestly it’s not the worst outcome.

The problem is exactly what you posted in the title of your OP. At least half the players on the roster should be suiting up for a bottom tier Missouri Valley team. I honestly don’t know how much you can fault Fran for the talent level, though, if he doesn’t get the NIL support.

Maybe more fans would be willing to put financial support into the basketball program if they had more faith in Fran. I don’t know what the answer is, but I do know Iowa basketball has not been relevant since Lute Olsen and the early Tom Davis years.

That’s every freakin year in any game. For this program. Completely irrelevant for 30 years. Absolute disgrace to be this pathetic for so long.

Which guys would only be bottom tier Mac players?

Which guys would only be bottom tier Mac players?
I don’t want to call them out individually, but it’s fairly obvious only 3-4 players are BIG Ten level talent. If we get a new coach, he’ll need to Deion this roster if we hope to compete!

Reactions: the24fan
Totally agree! We won 10 Big Ten games with some very young players including Freeman, Harding, and Dix. Going forward they're a good foundation to build upon.
That’s if they stay together. No NIL support, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see half the team leave.

I thought this team looked like NIT runner up material. I now don’t know if they make it that far.

. I honestly don’t know how much you can fault Fran for the talent level, though, if he doesn’t get the NIL support.
so who would you blame for not having a true center, playing seniority over talent, and always having a mentally weak team

Reactions: shudaddy
so who would you blame for not having a true center, playing seniority over talent, and always having a mentally weak team
Fran.

Add a decent point guard to that list of his shortcomings.

My point was obviously about overall talent and adding via the transfer portal.

Wisconsin not parlaying their NIT championship into much of a followup season.

Fran would play Krikke/PMAC same minutes. If Perkins is planning on leaving, then NIT would be time to give the keys to Harding.

Personally I think Harding is going to be a nice player by the time he is done. He can certainly be entertaining.

Reactions: intrepodor
Fran.

Add a decent point guard to that list of his shortcomings.

My point was obviously about overall talent and adding via the transfer portal.
Dean has never been able to recruit the PG position. We’ll see what happens with Brock …

About no true center.... I don't think Freeman is a PF, but maybe. If he played 30 mpg, he would have 15 pt, 10 rb, 2.5 blks and almost 2 assist pg. I think that would be pretty good numbers.

About no true center.... I don't think Freeman is a PF, but maybe. If he played 30 mpg, he would have 15 pt, 10 rb, 2.5 blks and almost 2 assist pg. I think that would be pretty good numbers.
Yep, really good player. Can Iowa hang onto him? Hope so - people will be coming.

That’s every freakin year in any game. For this program. Completely irrelevant for 30 years. Absolute disgrace to be this pathetic for so long.
You're like the dude that is driving a car and only looks as far as the front of the hood. Yes, this years team had players that didn't live up to their credentials, I get it.
You realize that Iowa could have had both Murray brothers still on this team if they hadn't gone to the NBA. Is that on Fran?
Four freshmen played minutes almost every game. That experience will pay dividends come next year and beyond. Dix made great strides in improving his game, Payton should return for his senior year. Freeman was a revaluation and will be the Big Ten freshman of the year and along with Dembele, Harding, and Pryce will all get stronger and more refined. There's a lot to look forward to next year and beyond.
You're like the former president that spreads excessive negativity, criticism, and resentment just to get attention. Well it won't change my opinion of you or this Iowa team.
Your nothing but trash which is quite the opposite of this Iowa team!

Last edited:
You're like the dude that is driving a car and only looks as far as the front of the hood. Yes, this years team had players that didn't live up to their credentials, I get it.
You realizes that Iowa could have had both Murray brothers still on this team if they hadn't gone to the NBA. Is that on Fran?
Four freshmen played minutes almost every game. That experience will pay dividends come next year and beyond. Dix made great strides in improving his game, Payton should return for his senior year. Freeman was a revaluation and will be the Big Ten freshman of the year and along with Dembele, Harding, and Pryce will all get stronger and more refined. There's a lot to look forward to next year and beyond.
You're like the former president that spreads excessive negativity, criticism, and resentment just to get attention. Well it won't change my opinion of you or this Iowa team.
which is quite the opposite of this Iowa team!

Well, except last nights game... that was trash!

Reactions: skydog0784
Not sure a true center fits into Fran's offense, which is a flaw. We need a big bruising defensive minded rebounder in the middle to make up for our pathetic perimeter defense.

2 things routinely amaze me about threads like these…

1) if these guys are winning 18 games in the Big 10 with a bottom tier MAC roster, there is some serious coaching going on in Iowa City….

2) it’s weird how often Iowa fans call someone MAC level that other “professional “ entities rave about….

It tells me we have a lot of dumb fans…🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: flynnhicks03
You realize that Iowa could have had both Murray brothers still on this team if they hadn't gone to the NBA. Is that on Fran?

You had decent points which your last sentence completely negated.

Reactions: DewHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT