ADVERTISEMENT

Neighbor just got a pit bull...

I’d talk to the guy and tell him it’s not ok to have his dog running around loose.

If it came in my yard I’d call them to let them know to come get it. If I saw it again loose in my yard or out and about I’d call animal control.

If it was ever loose in my yard and acting aggressively towards my family or pets and I’d probably just kill it.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
images

images

They’re not any more aggressive as a cocker spaniel, pits get a horrible and undeserved bad reputation. If the owners treat it with love and affection like they should it won’t be a problem.

The only dog that ever bit me was neighbors who were nice folks, though both were military so they had the kind of BS machismos that required them to own a pit Bull. Several of us were in their backyard for a bbq and it was strolling by me and just casually took a big bite on my calf. Never broke stride, just chomped me and kept going. I wasn’t sure what happened at first, then blood started flowing down my leg.

They had always bragged about how they trained it and gave if affection. And they were the kind of disciplined people who would follow all the rules on bringing up a dog. We had just moved in a few months prior, and later we found out the dog had mauled the prior owner of our house’s dog, resulting in a lawsuit.

I don’t trust pit bulls, period. It’s the breed.

Background:

• We live in a nice neighborhood -- nothing flashy, 2500-3500 square foot homes, with lots of salt of the earth folks.
  • We have 3 kids -- almost 6, 3.5, and 1.5. There are a good number of kids in the neighborhood, and there are several who we often play with at the big common grassy field.
  • There's a family that lives close to that grassy field who has lived in the neighborhood for 4-5 years, but they generally keep to themselves. We just met them as they have a 1st grader who is in the same class as my son's best friend (another 1st grader).
  • Today, we were out there playing baseball (learning coach pitch) and the dad comes out with their new "puppy." This thing is a pit bull, had "been in his crate" all morning, and was full of energy. He was off leash, and jumping very high. Apparently, despite being 4-5 months old, this pit bull has deflated several footballs and soccer balls.
  • I bit my tongue (pit bull owner was only there 5 minutes), but I unloaded to my friend (the other dad) after he left. I'm not a Karen -- I understand that there will always be dangers (high schoolers driving too fast, etc.), but a pit bull off leash, who apparently will spend Monday - Friday in a crate terrifies me as a parent. We have a lab, and it's inevitable that the dog will eventually run out the front door.

What do you think I should do? We have an HOA, but I haven't yet read through the 100 pages of rules and regulations. Should I communicate the concern to other homeowners, and start a "campaign" of sorts?

Eager for your thoughts. Keep in mind, this family has a 7 year old and 4 years old, and have decided to raise their kids with a pit bull.

First, read your HOA rules and city code. I would be amazed if both don’t require dogs to be leashed. Once your have knowledge, file the appropriate complaints.

Second, carry pepper spray.

The guy is an idiot and an asshole. Do what you have to in order to protect your family.

I will tell you the same thing I told my no pics wife, they put a bitterant in antifreeze now, find something else to use if you are trying to kill me. (Insert dog for me in this scneario)

Elitist thread is elitist. Pit bulls are all about nature vs nurture. Don’t be a sally, talk to your neighbor and ask about a leash or maybe introduce yourself to the dog itself.

(Don’t let the cardinals fan in this thread, he will probably tell you to drown it in a river)

White trash indicator achieved

They’re not any more aggressive as a cocker spaniel, pits get a horrible and undeserved bad reputation. If the owners treat it with love and affection like they should it won’t be a problem.
I can't speak for all pit bulls or pit bull owners, but my in-laws had one from the time it was a puppy. They treated it well and trained it well. It was around family, including babies and young children, and friends and even strangers of all ages. In its older years, the in-laws adopted a small rat-dog (can't remember the breed) and the dogs got along well. The little one even would put the pit bull in its place. They never fought. Can some pit bulls be aggressive by nature? Absolutely. But nurture plays a huge role in their behavior also.

ARDMORE, Oklahoma––Killed by a pit bull and a pack of pit mixes on the evening of May 10, 2018, Tracy Janine Garcia, 52, had by May 16, 2018 passed into legend via “hot-dogging” and flagrantly inaccurate tabloid headlines as the purported victim of an attack by dachshunds.

Bingo!

You really have no idea what you’re talking about. Dogs are bred for certain characteristics. No amount of training will turn a pit bull into a pointer. Pointers, on the other hand, will instinctively point. Yes, upbringing for a pit has a big impact on outcomes but pits are bred for traits that make them inherently more dangerous than other dogs. Even pits raised with “love and affection” can react instinctively - and aggressively - to a stimulus. Just like any other dog.

For starters, "salt of the earth" folks don't live in 3500 sq ft houses with an HOA. Also, complaining about some's pet to another neighbor makes you a huge "KAREN". Either grow some balls and talk to the pet owner or stfu.

For starters, "salt of the earth" folks don't live in 3500 sq ft houses with an HOA. Also, complaining about some's pet to another neighbor makes you a huge "KAREN". Either grow some balls and talk to the pet owner or stfu.
What advantage do you expect to be gained from talking to the moron with a furry bear trap? Do you imagine the moron is one patient conversation away from enlightenment?

Reactions: artradley
A responsible owner should never have a dog outside of a fence off of leash.

I wouldn’t even take my dog to an off leash dog park, I don’t trust dogs that I don’t know.
I don’t necessarily agree. I take my dog to parks or large outdoor areas off leash, when nobody is around, to let her run, chase squirrels, swim…just letting her be a dog.

I don’t necessarily agree. I take my dog to parks or large outdoor areas off leash, when nobody is around, to let her run, chase squirrels, swim…just letting her be a dog.

How do you know nobody else is around? I've walked my dogs in areas where there "wasn't anybody around" but quite frequently there's other people around. More than once other dogs have run up to us (and with two dogs who have been attacked by loose dogs, I get really pissed off really fast).

Most pitbulls are fine. The problem is if it does attack your child stands no chance like it would against other breeds.

There are hundreds of dog breeds out there why take a chance on one responsible for 80% of fatalities? Makes no sense to me.

It's called being an adult and addressing what you perceive to be an issue. Apparently this must be something you know very little about.
You avoided the question. What do you expect the advantage of ‘addressing’ the ‘perceived issue’ with the moron is going to be?
The comfort after the fact of being able to say, “I told you so”?

Reactions: JupiterHawk
You avoided the question. What do you expect the advantage of ‘addressing’ the ‘perceived issue’ with the moron is going to be?
The comfort after the fact of being able to say, “I told you so”?
Well the question is stupid so it didn't warrant a response. Why do you feel there needs to be an advantage? If you have something to say then be a man and say it to the persons face instead of talking about them behind their back. That is not only being a Karen, it's being a coward.

Well the question is stupid so it didn't warrant a response. Why do you feel there needs to be an advantage? If you have something to say then be a man and say it to the persons face instead of talking about them behind their back. That is not only being a Karen, it's being a coward.

I think "they" prefer to be called "Kevins". When you mislabel them as "Karens" you are trying to gender shame "them". ;)

Well the question is stupid so it didn't warrant a response.
I think you’re too stupid to formulate a response.

Why do you feel there needs to be an advantage?

To make it worth doing.
I forget the kinds of things that aren’t obvious to stupid people.

If you have something to say then be a man and say it to the persons face instead of talking about them behind their back.

Unwise. Morons tend to be as violent as they are stupid, and make choices to demonstrate it.

That is not only being a Karen, it's being a coward.
Are you that guy that challenged someone to come fight in his driveway?
You sound just like that guy.

I think you’re too stupid to formulate a response.
If not responding to an idiotic question makes me stupid then I guess I can live with that.
To make it worth doing.
I forget the kinds of things that aren’t obvious to stupid people.
If it's worth talking about to another neighbor then is worth talking to the person that is the subject on the conversation.
Unwise. Morons tend to be as violent as they are stupid, and make choices to demonstrate it.
Are you scared of your own shadow?
Are you that guy that challenged someone to come fight in his driveway?
You sound just like that guy.
Not me, I would never wait to get to my driveway. If I felt the need to put your lights out I would just do it with zero warning. But this has really nothing to do with being scared to visit with a neighbor about a concern wit their dog. Time to grow up jr.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT