ADVERTISEMENT

Neighbor just got a pit bull...

Background:

• We live in a nice neighborhood -- nothing flashy, 2500-3500 square foot homes, with lots of salt of the earth folks.
  • We have 3 kids -- almost 6, 3.5, and 1.5. There are a good number of kids in the neighborhood, and there are several who we often play with at the big common grassy field.
  • There's a family that lives close to that grassy field who has lived in the neighborhood for 4-5 years, but they generally keep to themselves. We just met them as they have a 1st grader who is in the same class as my son's best friend (another 1st grader).
  • Today, we were out there playing baseball (learning coach pitch) and the dad comes out with their new "puppy." This thing is a pit bull, had "been in his crate" all morning, and was full of energy. He was off leash, and jumping very high. Apparently, despite being 4-5 months old, this pit bull has deflated several footballs and soccer balls.
  • I bit my tongue (pit bull owner was only there 5 minutes), but I unloaded to my friend (the other dad) after he left. I'm not a Karen -- I understand that there will always be dangers (high schoolers driving too fast, etc.), but a pit bull off leash, who apparently will spend Monday - Friday in a crate terrifies me as a parent. We have a lab, and it's inevitable that the dog will eventually run out the front door.

What do you think I should do? We have an HOA, but I haven't yet read through the 100 pages of rules and regulations. Should I communicate the concern to other homeowners, and start a "campaign" of sorts?

Eager for your thoughts. Keep in mind, this family has a 7 year old and 4 years old, and have decided to raise their kids with a pit bull.
They are great dogs if you are in their circle of trust, but I don’t trust them further than I could throw them. My nephew’s took down a deer.

Reactions: TennNole17
I get it in some cases. If I lived in a rough neighborhood in the Bronx or Philadelphia, you probably want that last line of defense if somebody breaks in. They're just a liability otherwise, there are a lot of breeds out there.

I had a doberman and while I'd take my chances with a pit bull over a doberman, at least the doberman wasn't going to snap.

I would contact the HOA as it’s a matter of when, not if. Pitbull owners are trashy as fuk and anyone who chooses to have one as a pet is a piece of shit as well.
Gee, judge much? Our neighbors own a pit named Jackson and he's about as docile and sweet as any dog I've met. They are far from trashy...live in a 600K home in a gated community. Our best friends parents own two pits (also sweet dogs).

That said, I will NEVER own one because when my golden doodle gets grumpy and snaps at me, it's not a big deal (to me or anyone else). If a pit gets grumpy (or worse pissed off violent), there's no escaping that one. It's just not worth the risk. Has nothing to do with not being "trashy" or a "piece of $hit", but everything to with not playing Russian roulette with a dog's temperament.

Yup. I don't trust a dog off leash.
You'd trust our 12-year-old Shih Tzu with Cushing's disease. First, it'd take him a bit to waddle over to you and second, once he got there he'd charm you with his tail and eagerness to just be pet.

Here's our old man, Jack (never leashed):

kb7Wf78.jpg

And our 6-month, Joey (always leashed):

La3fxhb.jpg

You avoided the question. What do you expect the advantage of ‘addressing’ the ‘perceived issue’ with the moron is going to be?
The comfort after the fact of being able to say, “I told you so”?

Pit Bull owners are very extreme fanboys and would be offended by a conversation as they consider their dog, like most dog owners, a family member. But they take that too an extreme and are easily offended. Look at Colby's post below. This was before his pit bulls killed his two kids and mauled his wife.

FehkBkjacAMW3ZC

dfdae2a16d5b87a7dfe27068b909d1cf

Last edited:
4.5 million people are bitten by dogs every year, with 800k requiring hospitalization. Pit bulls are extraordinarily strong and muscular, which is mainly what makes them that many times more dangerous if they do attack.

I've heard the only automatic way to get a dog to release from biting is to grab its back legs and lift them into the air. I haven't tried it but it sounds logical.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
It’s nobody’s business what kind of dog your neighbor has. Absolutely none of your business.

Lol that’s not true at all.

Ever hear of a Caucasian ovcharka? Someone in my condo building tried to be cute and circumvent the breed ban since “it didn’t mention Caucasian ovcharkas.”

Well that dog on two occasions broke through the fire rated door that enters the main corridor from the man’s unit. On one occasion that dog stood in front of and growled at a door that had a dog on the otherside. A couple was trapped in their home until animal control could come.

Our HOA lawyer found a catch all bad boy clause in the HOA documents and we were able to have him and his dog banned from living in the building.

It’s certainly my business what kind of dog my neighbor has if there are consequences to me for their decisions.

I know down in Arkansas they raise pit bulls to hog hunt. They let the dogs go at them. Sometimes the dog ends up dead, sometimes the hogs do. It's pretty sick.

Tibetan Mastiff. That will show those pitbull owners who's boss. I hear they are great with kids too.

640px-Angry-tibetan-mastiff.jpg
Good gawd. The wiki entry on that breed is hilarious. In the "temperament" section, every time they sorta try to say something nice about it, they quickly follow it with something to the effect of "but not really".

Tibetan Mastiff. That will show those pitbull owners who's boss. I hear they are great with kids too.

640px-Angry-tibetan-mastiff.jpg

Great with kids yes, but y’all are iowa people right? A little Dan gable style rough housing between the child in that dogs family and one of the childrens friend will be catastrophic.

I love every dog on the planet. That doesn’t mean they are good ideas to own.

Great with kids yes, but y’all are iowa people right? A little Dan gable style rough housing between the child in that dogs family and one of the childrens friend will be catastrophic.

I love every dog on the planet. That doesn’t mean they are good ideas to own.
Yeah. I have to say, I really like that pic as a potential avatar/profile pic.

Pit Bull owners are very extreme fanboys and would be offended by a conversation as they consider their dog, like most dog owners, a family member. But they take that too an extreme and are easily offended. Look at Colby's post below. This was before his pit bulls killed his two kids and mauled his wife.

FehkBkjacAMW3ZC

dfdae2a16d5b87a7dfe27068b909d1cf
Wife was kinda hot. Guy is a moron. Bet he feels kind of dumb now.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Lol that’s not true at all.

Ever hear of a Caucasian ovcharka? Someone in my condo building tried to be cute and circumvent the breed ban since “it didn’t mention Caucasian ovcharkas.”

Well that dog on two occasions broke through the fire rated door that enters the main corridor from the man’s unit. On one occasion that dog stood in front of and growled at a door that had a dog on the otherside. A couple was trapped in their home until animal control could come.

Our HOA lawyer found a catch all bad boy clause in the HOA documents and we were able to have him and his dog banned from living in the building.

It’s certainly my business what kind of dog my neighbor has if there are consequences to me for their decisions.
Overreact much?

@NDallasRuss can a pit bull take down a giraffe? And can you take down both with your bare hands?

I think pit bulls can jump pretty high, but not high enough to get to anything critical if the giraffe is standing up. It'd just latch onto a leg and hang on as long as it could.

And i think I could take down both consecutively, but maybe not concurrently. If they team up against me, I could be in trouble.

• Haha
Reactions: West Duval Nole
95% of pits wont do shit but look out for that 5%. Carry one of those knifes on your leg opee

They need to classify pit bulls as deadly weapons.

If your pitbull attacks you are automatically liable: murder or assault with a deadly weapon. Doesn’t matter how “out of character” the “sweet dog”’s attack was.

Gee, judge much? Our neighbors own a pit named Jackson and he's about as docile and sweet as any dog I've met. They are far from trashy...live in a 600K home in a gated community. Our best friends parents own two pits (also sweet dogs).

That said, I will NEVER own one because when my golden doodle gets grumpy and snaps at me, it's not a big deal (to me or anyone else). If a pit gets grumpy (or worse pissed off violent), there's no escaping that one. It's just not worth the risk. Has nothing to do with not being "trashy" or a "piece of $hit", but everything to with not playing Russian roulette with a dog's temperament.

All the time yo

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I've heard the only automatic way to get a dog to release from biting is to grab its back legs and lift them into the air. I haven't tried it but it sounds logical.
They'll release whatever they had and clamp down on you next.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT