ADVERTISEMENT

Nepotism is Kneecapping Iowa

radicalhawk

HR All-State
Jun 18, 2005
I opened up my computer this morning, took a sip of fresh brewed cup o' java and googled about nepotism in college sports. Sorry if this has been posted before. I didn't see the post. This article that was written back on May 10 is more timely than ever. If you haven't seen it before like me, it's sobering, it hits home to put it mildly. It makes a diehard Hawkeye fan like myself angry that so much potential of Hawkeye football is being thrown away for a selfish family business.

"Instead of competing for their conference or even for the playoff, Iowa is making family succession plans and distributing unearned titles. That’s disappointing. Iowa is a storied program with significant potential. And a little variety outside of the usual suspects in our playoff system would be a welcome change".

https://www.sharpcollegefootball.com/post/nepotism-is-kneecapping-iowa-football-s-golden-era

I opened up my computer this morning, took a sip of fresh brewed cup o' java and googled about nepotism in college sports. Sorry if this has been posted before. I didn't see the post. This article that was written back on May 10 is more timely than ever. If you haven't seen it before like me, it's sobering, it hits home to put it mildly. It makes a diehard Hawkeye fan like myself angry that so much potential of Hawkeye football is being thrown away for a selfish family business.

"Instead of competing for their conference or even for the playoff, Iowa is making family succession plans and distributing unearned titles. That’s disappointing. Iowa is a storied program with significant potential. And a little variety outside of the usual suspects in our playoff system would be a welcome change".

https://www.sharpcollegefootball.com/post/nepotism-is-kneecapping-iowa-football-s-golden-era
Frankly, it should never be allowed in college athletics. No father can be objective about their son. It’s just not possible.

Nepotism could be the fall of iowa football. Be interesting what the program looks like in 5 years. Hoping no BF unless he's a TE/OL coach..

pppffffttt
This just another jackwagon jerking off on the Hawkeye site to see if it'll stick.
EEWWW

*EDIT* Not surprising the number of douches licking it up either
double eeww

Reactions: David1979
I posted on this board when BF was hired that KF was rolling the dice big-time with his legacy. If the program continues to go downhill with his boy at OC until he ultimately retires, it will become a lot harder for me to associate KF with things like the '02-'04, '09 and '15 seasons and a lot easier for me to associate him with blowing the '05, '10, '16 and (especially) '21 seasons, while selfishly and stubbornly dragging the program into the dirt during a time when the B1G West was as easy to win as the old Big 12 North the last 7-8 years of its existence. This whole damn thing is plain maddening.

I posted on this board when BF was hired that KF was rolling the dice big-time with his legacy. If the program continues to go downhill with his boy at OC until he ultimately retires, it will become a lot harder for me to associate KF with things like the '02-'04, '09 and '15 seasons and a lot easier for me to associate him with blowing the '05, '10, '16 and (especially) '21 seasons, while selfishly and stubbornly dragging the program into the dirt during a time when the B1G West was as easy to win as the old Big 12 North the last 7-8 years of its existence. This whole damn thing is plain maddening.

That was written in May? I wonder what he would write now.

"Instead of competing for their conference or even for the playoff, Iowa is making family succession plans and distributing unearned titles. That’s disappointing. Iowa is a storied program with significant potential. And a little variety outside of the usual suspects in our playoff system would be a welcome change."

I think we've all come to slowly realize the succession plans these grifters are scheming.

Last edited:
Reactions: radicalhawk
It was a mistake on KF's part. It was a mistake on Barta's part allowing it. It turns out it wasn't good for the Iowa program and it wasn't a good move for Brian (except for ya' know, the money part). It should not be allowed to continue beyond this year.

But, how about some perspective? Twelve wins in a row? Victories by pretty wide margins. Long winning streaks against ISU, Nebby, Minny.

Losses on the OL have contributed. SP not a great QB for a team that can't block. These things are on the coaches as well, but c'mon. Iowa has won 70% of it's games since BF took over as OC.

It hasn't worked out, but beyond the last two games it hasn't been an epic disaster. But I don't think KF's legacy has been tarnished. No one thought he was perfect. I think some here would like to bring him up on criminal charges.

As they say, "When the horse dies, dismount".

Reactions: goodbyebobby
It was a mistake on KF's part. It was a mistake on Barta's part allowing it. It turns out it wasn't good for the Iowa program and it wasn't a good move for Brian (except for ya' know, the money part). It should not be allowed to continue beyond this year.

But, how about some perspective? Twelve wins in a row? Victories by pretty wide margins. Long winning streaks against ISU, Nebby, Minny.

Losses on the OL have contributed. SP not a great QB for a team that can't block. These things are on the coaches as well, but c'mon. Iowa has won 70% of it's games since BF took over as OC.

It hasn't worked out, but beyond the last two games it hasn't been an epic disaster. But I don't think KF's legacy has been tarnished. No one thought he was perfect. I think some here would like to bring him up on criminal charges.

i wouldn't credit BF much.

hell, without the parkers I doubt kirk would even be here honestly

"Instead of competing for their conference or even for the playoff, Iowa is making family succession plans and distributing unearned titles. That’s disappointing. Iowa is a storied program with significant potential. And a little variety outside of the usual suspects in our playoff system would be a welcome change."

I think we've all come to slowly realize the succession plans these grifters are scheming.
I've wondered why that realization has come so slowly to so many.

He's a damn good coach, and we're not related..., I believe he's playing the cards he's been dealt.
Our slot wr's aren't good, as good, without tall split ends to throw deep. That being said we have Keagan......
Our OL is porous, is it the new coach and/or the S&C program since Doyle left?

2066014525-business-commerce-nepotism-favourte-favorite-favorites-family_business-dcrn1332l.jpg

Reactions: unoHawkeye
i wouldn't credit BF much.

hell, without the parkers I doubt kirk would even be here honestly
Here's the problem with that logic. So we're being critical for KF hiring his son, and he's taken heat before for hiring Greg Davis, KOK and others. At the same time you want to say that without Norm and Phil, he would never have kept his job, correct? So, WHO hired Norm and Phil? Its crazy that people want to slam the guy for his errors, if thats what you want to call them, but not give him credit for the really smart move like not only hiring those guys, but retaining them and pretty much letting them run their own show. You can't do one without the other....

Reactions: nbanflfactory
Whats the writers background, where did he play or coach?
He might be 100 percent right but I wouldn’t hesitate to hire my son,,,,,you at least know your son is going to be loyal and not stab you in the back like some of our fans of done our coach and players.
We obviously have reached a breaking point- something has to change- if it doesn’t after this season,I will be in your corner
regarding some of the points you bring up…. but for now let it play out and let’s try to get a couple more wins.

Here's the problem with that logic. So we're being critical for KF hiring his son, and he's taken heat before for hiring Greg Davis, KOK and others. At the same time you want to say that without Norm and Phil, he would never have kept his job, correct? So, WHO hired Norm and Phil? Its crazy that people want to slam the guy for his errors, if thats what you want to call them, but not give him credit for the really smart move like not only hiring those guys, but retaining them and pretty much letting them run their own show. You can't do one without the other....
i 100% give KF props for not only hiring the parkers but being able to keep them here so long!
that said, I stand behing my comment that is he hadn't been able to keep those 2 all these years, he would have been gone years ago.

as for BF, I do think you deserve EXTRA scrutiny when a bad hire is related to you and you pretty refuse to remedy the situation....do you disagree?

i 100% give KF props for not only hiring the parkers but being able to keep them here so long!
that said, I stand behing my comment that is he hadn't been able to keep those 2 all these years, he would have been gone years ago.

as for BF, I do think you deserve EXTRA scrutiny when a bad hire is related to you and you pretty refuse to remedy the situation....do you disagree?
I would just say that people hire those who they are comfortable with, no matter what profession their in. As we've already established you could fill pages of college football and basketball coaches who have hired their offspring, siblings, relatives or close friends. Its extremely common place. When Brian was HIRED it was as a position coach, and his resume was probably acceptable for that. Now his promotion was a bit of a stretch, and has proven to this point to be problematic. I think its fair to say also that KF IS in fact getting EXTRA scrutiny at this point, so will see how it plays out. If in fact Iowa's offense does not improve the rest of this year and lets say one more then Its also quite probable that KF will have done more harm then good for BFs career, by not sending him elsewhere to earn his stripes.

You live an exciting life.

I agree, I give Kirk the criticism he deserves on offense but also make sure to praise him for what he has accomplished on defense and special teams that is so good they can overcome the offensive handicap and still be a pretty good program. His stamp of approval was on everything, if Kirk didn't like that defense we'd run something else.

It's just a shame he has to be so blind and stubborn in 1 phase. I think his legacy will be full of what ifs about what the program could have been if offense was just average or slightly above it if things don't improve dramatically

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT