ADVERTISEMENT

**NEW** Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread

IMHO, Bluder should be able to find a Bona fide post player in the portal. Hannah has athleticism we usually don’t see and can play the 4.

We really need a 6’4 or taller player at the 5 if we truly want to be in the national championship conversation. Clark is already talking about 2 more years, so Bluder could possibly find a real post player out there who has watched Iowa and realize that 20 of Czinano’s 24 points per game are all due (directly or indirectly) to Clark. The prospect of playing with Clark for 2 more years should be appealing to some gifted center out there.

Having said that, I think it is time for O’Grady to put on her big girl pants. I recall how bad I thought Czinano was when Gustafson was the star and Monica would spell her for a minute or 2. I was screaming at the TV to get Monica out of the game and get Meghan back in. (Sadly, the screaming at the TV is a regular occurrence at my house). Anyway, the point is that I never believed Monica could be a center that would contribute much, but Jan Jensen worked her magic. Maybe O’Grady can take that big step forward next year.

Stuelke, Wettering and Gyamfi can man the 4 and possibly what we give up in outside shooting can be made up in better defense and rebounding than we get there now.

Kate Martin and Affolter are perfectly suited for the 3. Keep them there. I really think McCabe could be that Melissa Dixon-type sharp shooter we need at the 2. Gabby did great these last half-dozen games … can she keep it going during the NCAA’s?

The team will also take their biggest step forward when the guards (including Caitlin) realize that YES! You do have to box out, every single shot, even if you are 22 feet from the basket. Had they done that, even every other time on defense vs Creighton, we win that game easily. Not that I am still bitter about that game…
Put in a call to South Carolina, they have a 6-4 and a 6-6 highly recruited players that play off the bench

I still predict that one player will step up her play and surprise/delight us next year. They will put in their time before next season. Marshall will get a little quicker release and become a consistent threat. McCabe will show defensive skills for a more complete game. One of the returning centers will be like Czinano's sophomore year. Someone will step up.

Reactions: fish1hawk
IMHO, Bluder should be able to find a Bona fide post player in the portal. Hannah has athleticism we usually don’t see and can play the 4.

We really need a 6’4 or taller player at the 5 if we truly want to be in the national championship conversation. Clark is already talking about 2 more years, so Bluder could possibly find a real post player out there who has watched Iowa and realize that 20 of Czinano’s 24 points per game are all due (directly or indirectly) to Clark. The prospect of playing with Clark for 2 more years should be appealing to some gifted center out there.

Having said that, I think it is time for O’Grady to put on her big girl pants. I recall how bad I thought Czinano was when Gustafson was the star and Monica would spell her for a minute or 2. I was screaming at the TV to get Monica out of the game and get Meghan back in. (Sadly, the screaming at the TV is a regular occurrence at my house). Anyway, the point is that I never believed Monica could be a center that would contribute much, but Jan Jensen worked her magic. Maybe O’Grady can take that big step forward next year.

Stuelke, Wettering and Gyamfi can man the 4 and possibly what we give up in outside shooting can be made up in better defense and rebounding than we get there now.

Kate Martin and Affolter are perfectly suited for the 3. Keep them there. I really think McCabe could be that Melissa Dixon-type sharp shooter we need at the 2. Gabby did great these last half-dozen games … can she keep it going during the NCAA’s?

The team will also take their biggest step forward when the guards (including Caitlin) realize that YES! You do have to box out, every single shot, even if you are 22 feet from the basket. Had they done that, even every other time on defense vs Creighton, we win that game easily. Not that I am still bitter about that game…
6'4" girl coming from Oregon but she will be just a freshman.

Our post play is tailored for Cinzano, Its possible they modify it a little to play to O'Gradys strengths or go with Goodman as she seems to be a bigger stronger Cinzano if she can get back to 100% with the knee. I dont think they go to portal unless they can grab someone who is a slam dunk to start right away. Bringing in a post would likely result in losing one or more of the posts we have that have been waiting their turn. Ogrady was top 100, and 8th best center in her class coming in. Jansen has said on podcasts that she favors someone who fits her system/style over size/talent. I just dont see where there would be that many dominant traditional post players in the portal.

I truly think there is a post out there that has paid attention to what Caitlin Clark brings and the possible deep runs in the tournament, that would jump at the chance to play with Caitlin. You would probably need to look at an all-conference center from a mid-major who would like a chance at a B1G championship and possible national title hopes.

If we have a transfer (almost every program does, right?) I think the coaches could sell 2 great years with Caitlin to some remarkable junior center out there. In fact I think there would be a line at the door.

I truly think there is a post out there that has paid attention to what Caitlin Clark brings and the possible deep runs in the tournament, that would jump at the chance to play with Caitlin. You would probably need to look at an all-conference center from a mid-major who would like a chance at a B1G championship and possible national title hopes.

If we have a transfer (almost every program does, right?) I think the coaches could sell 2 great years with Caitlin to some remarkable junior center out there. In fact I think there would be a line at the door.
There could be, and I'm a little biased, I think Sharon and and Addi are better than they have looked in really limited minutes this year. It seems like whenever Addi was starting to affect a game she gets subbed out. Sharon is clearly still working through the knee injury. Go back and watch Addi vs Michigan last year when cinzano was in foul trouble, and look at a healthy Goodman vs Kentucky her freshman year. What they don't have is glue on their hands like cinzno. She catches those bullet passes reliably. I think a lot of those drills they use to develop baseball players at first base may be in order?

I don't think Sharon or Addi are in game shape to play extended minutes. Could that change? Of course. Monica has worked her butt off to get her body in a place to play thirty five minutes a game. Off season conditioning will be huge for those two so they can give Iowa what it needs next season.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I don't think Sharon or Addi are in game shape to play extended minutes. Could that change? Of course. Monica has worked her butt off to get her body in a place to play thirty five minutes a game. Off season conditioning will be huge for those two so they can give Iowa what it needs next season.
If Goodman can get back to where she was as a freshman (and I still think that's a big if) I could see Goodman and O'Grady each splitting minutes at the 5 next year. I like that Gustafson and Czinano have been able to be 35 minute per game players, but I don't think we should expect that. Goodman and O'Grady playing 15-20 minutes a night would give them the freedom to go 100% at all times and to not worry too much about fouls.

It appears to me based on the substitution minutes, meaning Addie is the one that gets those very few minutes during the first half, etc., that she may have the advantage going into next year over Goodman. Goodman may not be 100% yet, and is still wearing the brace, but she played pretty well as a freshman as a backup.

I realize it's been very limited time over the last couple of years, but I think AO'G could be a great one. There is work to be put in, without question, but the talent sure looks to be there. She seems like she just needs a bit of confidence and almost a bit of a 'mean streak' in her (hopefully what I'm trying to convey comes through).
Not saying Goodman can't, but I think Ad has a 'higher ceiling' (I hate sports clichés).

O'Grady also seems to me to have some shot blocking ability based on her limited minutes.

During her interview with Conner 53 minute mark, Jan said she she focused on old style posts, and she will go awith a player who is willing to commit to and work that program over a taller potentially more talented player. As far as I can tell what this means is 1) run down the court as fast as you can, 2) Go directly into establishing post position before the defense has a chance to set up, 3) when you get the ball, make one post move (Mican drill variety) and shoot the ball up before help defense can react. Lisa tends to favor offense over defense. Ogrady played the 4 in high school and came in more comfotable with stepping out to create space, shooting a faceup jumper, and blocking shots. She needs to be more consistent with Jans version of center to get there. Sharon seems to want to play that way, but is not back to where she was before the knee injury. The reason I think just grabbing a big out of the portal and plugging them in is because when I watch other teams play, I just dont see thier centers playing that very limited sytle. I think you could plug O'Grady in as a starter at a lot of power 5 schools and she would be an upgrade, and a lot of centers that look good in other programs are going to have problems adjusting to the Iowa system.

I thought durning the Big Ten Tourny and game 1 of the NCAA Tourny when Addision came in that things were starting to click for her. Hope she really works hard in the off season and she could be really good.
There have been several times where she has looked good, but gotten swapped out rather than left in to play. It seems like a few more minutes when playing well would probably go a long way towards building confidence. I think Goodman probably makes a lot of progress over the summer as well... They used to say 18 months from surgery to really trusting a knee...

During her interview with Conner 53 minute mark, Jan said she she focused on old style posts, and she will go awith a player who is willing to commit to and work that program over a taller potentially more talented player. As far as I can tell what this means is 1) run down the court as fast as you can, 2) Go directly into establishing post position before the defense has a chance to set up, 3) when you get the ball, make one post move (Mican drill variety) and shoot the ball up before help defense can react. [..] The reason I think just grabbing a big out of the portal and plugging them in is because when I watch other teams play, I just dont see thier centers playing that very limited sytle. I think you could plug O'Grady in as a starter at a lot of power 5 schools and she would be an upgrade, and a lot of centers that look good in other programs are going to have problems adjusting to the Iowa system.
This is so true. Folks need to realize it's not just plug and play. What makes Jan deserving of the NACOY award is that she *develops* unheralded prospects into superstars. If Monika had started out at some run of the mill mid-major team and then entered the portal, none of us casual fans would even consider her an Iowa caliber player. But look at her now! It takes time and commitment to get there. 2+ seasons -- way more than just a few months of summer workouts which is all the time a transfer would have to work with Jan.

not much news that I have seen, I think we dont see anything until after the NCAA tourney is done. I think we are mostly full roster unless people transfer out. I dont expect to see anything on that while they are still in the tournament.

Been out there for awhile.

It's interesting to me how quickly women's basketball recruiting happens. My first reaction to reading the article was that she's waiting a really long time to narrow down her choices. I believe Iowa only has 1 scholarship left for 2024 and it could easily be filled by the time she takes her officials and makes a decision. But we're also just under 8 months out from the 2024 signing day.

I think that's part of the reason I have no issue with the portal. I'm sure kids feel pressure to commit early in the process so they don't miss out on a school they like. But that also means a lot can change between their commitment and getting to campus.

Reactions: shikreto
I still predict that one player will step up her play and surprise/delight us next year. They will put in their time before next season. Marshall will get a little quicker release and become a consistent threat. McCabe will show defensive skills for a more complete game. One of the returning centers will be like Czinano's sophomore year. Someone will step up.
Stulke can do it. If she can learn how to shoot free throws this offseason and either learn to dribble or figure out how to be effective without dribbling like Czinano has she can definitely be one of those players.

Reactions: MitchLL
you would think but I have never noticed a significant uptick after Gustafson teams.
In WBB, the final four is a huge gate that keeps almost everyone out of the elite realm. An elite eight, while certainly an amazing accomplishment we are all proud of, is not gonna help you 9x out of 10. But CC just happened to be that 10th case. I don’t think she would have chosen Iowa has Bluder not led the team to the Elite 8 / won the B1G tourney / developed Gustafson into NPOY. We can hope CC might have the same effect on Jenica Lewis.

The biggest things we have going against us now, IMO, are:

1) Bluder’s age. Both in terms of impending retirement and just her overall personality. Not a huge social media personality, etc. Some players just want a younger coach.

2) Location / climate / small town-ness of Iowa and Iowa City.

3) Super white.

It doesn’t seem like a lot but tbh they add up to quite a bit.

Last edited:
In WBB, the final four is a huge gate that keeps almost everyone out of the elite realm. An elite eight, while certainly an amazing accomplishment we are all proud of, is not gonna help you 9x out of 10. But CC was certainly that 10th case. I don’t think she would have chosen Iowa has Bluder not led the team to the Elite 8 / won the B1G tourney / developed Gustafson into NPOY. We can hope CC might have the same effect on Jennica Rayne.
Certainly, hope so as it would be nice for Iowa to contest nationally every year to some extent.

In WBB, the final four is a huge gate that keeps almost everyone out of the elite realm. An elite eight, while certainly an amazing accomplishment we are all proud of, is not gonna help you 9x out of 10. But CC just happened to be that 10th case. I don’t think she would have chosen Iowa has Bluder not led the team to the Elite 8 / won the B1G tourney / developed Gustafson into NPOY. We can hope CC might have the same effect on Jennica Rayne.

The biggest things we have going against us now, IMO, are:

1) Bluder’s age. Both in terms of impending retirement and just her overall personality. Not a huge social media personality, etc. Some players just want a young coach.

2) Location / climate.

3) Super white.

It doesn’t seem like a lot but tbh they add up to quite a bit.
It is obvious Bluder needs to recruit more athleticism. LSU is making us look bad. CC is the only player as athletic as their first 8. Still no way to beat 75% shooting much less 100% from 3 by Carson.

Reactions: amahawk
Our post play is tailored for Cinzano, Its possible they modify it a little to play to O'Gradys strengths or go with Goodman as she seems to be a bigger stronger Cinzano if she can get back to 100% with the knee. I dont think they go to portal unless they can grab someone who is a slam dunk to start right away. Bringing in a post would likely result in losing one or more of the posts we have that have been waiting their turn. Ogrady was top 100, and 8th best center in her class coming in. Jansen has said on podcasts that she favors someone who fits her system/style over size/talent. I just dont see where there would be that many dominant traditional post players in the portal.
I would counter that Monika was tailored for Coach J''s approach. Addi has some different skills and deficits. Will she fit neatly into Jan's system? I see Addi as a potentially better post defender and rebounder, and might have a better turn-around jumper, which would help spread the floor for Caitlin to access. But I hope she comes back next year leaner and meaner, with better foot speed and hops.

We all know that this year's recruiting is hampered by honoring the Ava Jones commitment. That was absolutely the right thing to do, but unless someone from the team exits via the portal, we have no more scholarship spots. I'm surprised that the U hasn't figured out a way to keep Ava on scholarship, while opening up her spot on the team. Caitlin won't be here forever, and if we we could find a way to add that athletic 4/5 either as a recruit or in the portal, Iowa WBB will be a force again; and provide a sense of continuance beyond Caitlin's departure.

We all know that this year's recruiting is hampered by honoring the Ava Jones commitment. That was absolutely the right thing to do, but unless someone from the team exits via the portal, we have no more scholarship spots. I'm surprised that the U hasn't figured out a way to keep Ava on scholarship, while opening up her spot on the team. Caitlin won't be here forever, and if we we could find a way to add that athletic 4/5 either as a recruit or in the portal, Iowa WBB will be a force again; and provide a sense of continuance beyond Caitlin's departure.
Well we have the best C Bluder's ever recruited coming in 2024 -- they may not want to recruit another C when we may very well have 3 great players for '23-'24 at that position.

Reactions: Torg and chuck285
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT