ADVERTISEMENT

next gen videogames

poophawk

HR All-State
Nov 24, 2004
dport
looks like new ones will be $70/pop. prices for the ps5 and xbox series x NBA2k21 listing at $69.99 (kobe is on the cover, thats cool)

Its probably time for a price increase. I remember buying NES games for $50 a pop.

If these next-gen games are a big step forward from the current games, I wouldn't mind the increase. If I can't tell much of a difference though, I'd be unlikely to want to update to the PS5. Maybe I'll wait until after the initial version and see if they come out with a "PS5 Pro" like they did for the PS4.

Reactions: Niko13
If these next-gen games are a big step forward from the current games, I wouldn't mind the increase. If I can't tell much of a difference though, I'd be unlikely to want to update to the PS5. Maybe I'll wait until after the initial version and see if they come out with a "PS5 Pro" like they did for the PS4.

i dont think we will get as big of a graphics upgrade from current gen to next gen. I think frame rates will be better and load times will be appreciably better. certainly graphics will be improved but it wont be as shocking as maybe it has been in the past.

i dont think we will get as big of a graphics upgrade from current gen to next gen. I think frame rates will be better and load times will be appreciably better. certainly graphics will be improved but it wont be as shocking as maybe it has been in the past.
I didn't think the jump up in just "graphics" was shocking even from PS3 to PS4 personally.

Reactions: LBoogie28
Heard GTA 5 is coming out on next gen. One game, three generations of consoles. That’s pretty impressive.

Graphics will be much better, but load times on the PS5 will be a thing of the past. The solid drive eliminates load times.

Graphics will be much better, but load times on the PS5 will be a thing of the past. The solid drive eliminates load times.
I'm not an avid gamer but how much better can graphics really get? The PS4 was pretty impressive. To me the difference in the jump to the next system, while noticable, isn't what it was.

SSD and frame rate seem to be the selling points. I do like that the next gen for both will be backwards compatible.

I'll probably wait a year or so to upgrade.

I never buy new games anyway. I hope they aren't all digital downloads though

Heard GTA 5 is coming out on next gen. One game, three generations of consoles. That’s pretty impressive.
if it does something about the insane load times for GTA online it would sell. I'm actually surprised Skyrim isn't coming to the PS5/whatever stupid ass name the xbox is called

if it does something about the insane load times for GTA online it would sell. I'm actually surprised Skyrim isn't coming to the PS5/whatever stupid ass name the xbox is called
You play GTA online? What’s it like? I’ve been interested in that and RDR2 online but I’ve been working my ass off the last few years.

I didn't think the jump up in just "graphics" was shocking even from PS3 to PS4 personally.

Speaking as a retro game collector, the last huge jump was from PS1 to PS2/Xbox. The PS2 games still look pretty decent relatively speaking as opposed to the Minecraft looking sprites from the PS1 era.

PS5 will be in two versions, one that is all digital like the PSP Go and XBone SAD and one that will include a blueray drive.

image.png

While Xbox console design has always been fairly sterile/generic, Sony has made at least two ugly AF “boxes.” Appreciate them trying, but good grief...

While Xbox console design has always been fairly sterile/generic, Sony has made at least two ugly AF “boxes.” Appreciate them trying, but good grief...

Both the PS5 and XBox One Series X (which btw is the stupidest name as it's too easy to mess up with XBox One X or XBox One S) are ugly as %*%*. There's no excuse for them being absolutely terrible, the much cheaper
Intellivision Amico which is going to be a quasi competitor focusing only on cheap family couch co-op and arcade games actually looks amazing.

Intellivision-Amico-Galaxy-Purple-Limited-Edition-Only-at-GameStop

intellivision-2.jpg

Amico_GlacierWhite_Rounded.png

Intellivision-Amico-GTO-Red-Gaming-Cypher-scaled.jpg

And the XBox One X Cyberpunk 2077 variation looks great. I'm tempted to add it to my collection even though I already have a white XBox One X.

microsoft-xbox-one-x-cyberpunk-2077-collector-edition-bundle-1587154395-67.jpg

Reactions: JupiterHawk
**** the new shit. N64 and Super Nintendo still work like a charm.

So I don't know how you are with the retro gaming world, but if you're still a fan of the SNES there's a great solution to playing all of your childhood faves, new fan mods and fanmade originals, and even games that never made it over here with new translation packs. Track down an Analogue Super NT (thanks to Covid the manufacturer is sold out but they will be doing another run in the future or track down a used one on Ebay) which is not a cheap emulation machine but essentially it's the real hardware mapped out on new chips but it outputs to hdmi at 1080p. So it works with modern TVs at a 100% accuracy, no crashes, wonky sprites, offcolors or weird sounds. Then add an Everdrive which lets you store the entire catalogue of SNES and SuperFamicom games (that you already own of course as backups, no piracy naturally) and then pick up two 8BitDo SN30 controllers which use wireless Bluetooth connections but have an authentic look and feel to the original SNES gamepads. Get all three of those and you're in retro heaven using modern equipment.

Unfortunately, other than the Everdrive there's nothing like I described for the N64. But there ARE rumors that Analogue's next console will be a revamped modern N64 (they've already issued modern 100% accurate consoles for the SNES, Genesis and NES and if it weren't for Covid a new backlit and rechargeable handheld that will do Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advances, Atari Lynx, Sega GameGear and NeoGeo Pocket would already be out rather than awaiting final production as we speak).

https://www.analogue.co/super-nt/

https://everdrivestore.com/

Amazon product ASIN B08536VCZL

Reactions: poophawk
So I don't know how you are with the retro gaming world, but if you're still a fan of the SNES there's a great solution to playing all of your childhood faves, new fan mods and fanmade originals, and even games that never made it over here with new translation packs. Track down an Analogue Super NT (thanks to Covid the manufacturer is sold out but they will be doing another run in the future or track down a used one on Ebay) which is not a cheap emulation machine but essentially it's the real hardware mapped out on new chips but it outputs to hdmi at 1080p. So it works with modern TVs at a 100% accuracy, no crashes, wonky sprites, offcolors or weird sounds. Then add an Everdrive which lets you store the entire catalogue of SNES and SuperFamicom games (that you already own of course as backups, no piracy naturally) and then pick up two 8BitDo SN30 controllers which use wireless Bluetooth connections but have an authentic look and feel to the original SNES gamepads. Get all three of those and you're in retro heaven using modern equipment.

Unfortunately, other than the Everdrive there's nothing like I described for the N64. But there ARE rumors that Analogue's next console will be a revamped modern N64 (they've already issued modern 100% accurate consoles for the SNES, Genesis and NES and if it weren't for Covid a new backlit and rechargeable handheld that will do Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advances, Atari Lynx, Sega GameGear and NeoGeo Pocket would already be out rather than awaiting final production as we speak).

https://www.analogue.co/super-nt/

https://everdrivestore.com/

I use my original 1995 N64 and have a retrobit device that plays Nintendo and Super Nintendo cartridges.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

I believe the PS5 will have a version that is digital downloads only. I haven't looked to see if that is cheaper but I would imagine it would wreak havoc on data caps from ISPs

EDIT: did not scroll through thread before responding to see the digital version was already mentioned

Last edited:
I have had an xbox one for a while and just got a Switch Lite last week (I was able to get one from pokemoncenter.com while Best Buy, target, game stops and other retailers were sold out. They sold out about 5 days later).

I don't spend a lot of time playing video games and before coronavirus couldn't remember the last time I turned it on to actually play a game. I am preferring something like the switch lite where I can pick up the thing, play a few games of Smash Bros, Mario Kart, the NES games online without investing a lot of time. At that price point, I think I am going to sit this next gen out. I don't have the time or focus to sit and play games with expansive campaigns or sit for a huge amount of time playing online

I'm not an avid gamer but how much better can graphics really get? The PS4 was pretty impressive. To me the difference in the jump to the next system, while noticable, isn't what it was.
To me it's mostly about the games. So if the good games are on the newer console that will drive my interest. At the same time I don't have to have the newest releases. Right now I'm playing Dragon Age Inquisition which I think was released in 2015. I feel like I could still be entertained by RD2 and breath of the wild. It takes me forever to get through games because I have limited time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT