ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

Cael is smack dap in the middle of the best high school wrestling in the country. He was not so hot with his recruiting at ISU. How many titles did he win at ISU? How many times did he beat Iowa when he was at ISU?
Iowa high school wrestling has regressed in the past 40 years. Iowa has to rely on getting Illinois, Ohio and Penn. kids now. Cael is beating them in that game.
Outstanding high school wrestling in PA hasn't really benefitted PSU that much. Relatively few of PSU's starters are from PA, not now and not in the past 10 years.

Also, the Gable years were full of studs from states other than Iowa (Steiners, McIlravy, Williams, Chiapparelli, Banachs, Mena, Lewis, etc.). Recruiting the top high school talent from wherever is the key, and has been for decades.

Bottom line is Carl is top of the line at getting high end talent. Then he just polishes them up. He has had multiple Spencer Lee calibur recruits. If we judged brands on how he coaches guys like that he would look awesome too. Guys that talented make coaches look good. The other thing is Carl doesn't really recruit short for the weight guys for the most part he doesn't go after grinders. He goes after guys who have length, strength and scoring abilities, just like he was. Berge and Bartlett are the two closest things to a grinder he has gotten lately and they have struggled. As long as they are bringing in top grade diamonds and we are bringing in 2ns or 3rd tier diamonds and cubit zirconias we will be battling for 2nd. We are bringing in 2 recruits this year ranked outside the top 20 and 8 guys who will never do a thing outside the practice room or low level open tournaments.
This is it. However, brands did have marinelli. And he has shit the bed no matter how anybody slices it. What was he? Number 2 p4p. Inexcusable. Spencer and kem would’ve wrestled with the separated rib, btw. I know I’ll receive crap for that but it’s true. And they would’ve taken 3rd. I know, I know. Shame on me. I love marinelli but he was never as good as his ranking, it seems. He said all year this year and last year he knew what he had to do to not get beaten the same way and what happened? The same thing. He is probably harder on himself than I am being here but the fact remains that he was a top p4p that didn’t pan out (for psu standards).

Spencer wasn't even ranked #1 in his class. How he has done in college is not the point. The point is Carl has had a number of that level recruit coming out of highschool. Guys like Taylor, Hall, Brooks, Kerk etc. Elite of the elite blue chips.
Lee only went to #2 on some sites because he lost on match to Desanto after tearing his ACL 1 month prior to states. Still had no one came closer to beating him than 5-0 prior to state finals. He had not been able to train for a month or so prior.

The guy was a complete flop. PSU has had a few top end guys flop but it's not an issue because they have plenty of others that don't.
We have certainly had our share that dud not live up to expectations, for one reason or another, BUT quite a few have as shown by last Saturday night.

Lee only went to #2 on some sites because he lost on match to Desanto after tearing his ACL 1 month prior to states. Still had no one came closer to beating him than 5-0 prior to state finals. He had not been able to train for a month or so prior.
He also lost to fix in freestyle so he was going to be behind him.

One guy who we haven’t seen much of in the last couple years that I don’t think we should sleep on is Aaron Cashman… I think he will be up a weight at 133 next year, but not sure. Regardless, tons of potential there. Lee and Desanto have been such reliable staples these past few years that the potential of guys like Cashman are sometimes easily forgotten about.

Outstanding high school wrestling in PA hasn't really benefitted PSU that much. Relatively few of PSU's starters are from PA, not now and not in the past 10 years.
Cael has coached 32 individual champions at Penn State. 16 by wrestlers that went to high school in PA. 16 by wrestlers that went to high school in the 49 other states.

You might have heard of a few of the PA guys: Carter Starocci, Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, Vincenzo Joseph, Ed Ruth, Quinten Wright, Nico Megaludis.

Edit: I randomly picked the 2015-2016 PSU team to check the OP’s assertion that few of Cael’s starters over the past 10 years have been PA guys. That team went undefeated, won the dual championship series over OKST, won the Big Ten Tournament and won the NCAA tournament. 8 of the team’s 10 starters were PA guys.

Last edited:
Cael has coached 32 individual champions at Penn State. 16 by wrestlers that went to high school in PA. 16 by wrestlers that went to high school in the 49 other states.

You might have heard of a few of the PA guys: Carter Starocci, Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, Vincenzo Joseph, Ed Ruth, Quinten Wright, Nico Megaludis.
Pat, don’t let facts get in the way of a good argument.

One guy who we haven’t seen much of in the last couple years that I don’t think we should sleep on is Aaron Cashman… I think he will be up a weight at 133 next year, but not sure. Regardless, tons of potential there. Lee and Desanto have been such reliable staples these past few years that the potential of guys like Cashman are sometimes easily forgotten about.
Did you just interrupt this sh*tshow to bring some actual wrestling talk about next year. How dare you sir

God bless Aaron Cashman and anybody else that toils in the Iowa Wrestling room, but that's one hell of a reach unless something has drastically changed. The last match result I could find he got teched by Devin Schroder 18-0.

I heard Cashman is the real reason this may be RBY's last season.

Sorry. God bless Cashman, and we love you PinDox, but that's some strong herb.

God bless Aaron Cashman and anybody else that toils in the Iowa Wrestling room, but that's one hell of a reach unless something has drastically changed. The last match result I could find he got teched by Devin Schroder 18-0.
Yeah I saw that too and can totally understand the skepticism if only looking at the results. I brought him up just because of what I’ve heard about him… heard he is absolutely legit when he’s healthy and on top of his game. The results tho…you are right, they are difficult to just ignore.

We REALLY like our guys. And there ain’t no herb gonna cause that. (It’s an IOWA thang.)

Reactions: TarpHawk
Yeah I saw that too and can totally understand the skepticism if only looking at the results. I brought him up just because of what I’ve heard about him… heard he is absolutely legit when he’s healthy and on top of his game. The results tho…you are right, they are difficult to just ignore.
Room hype, eh? Results, you say?

Lol, nah the real reason this may be RBY’s last season is because this Lia Thomas has inspired him to the point where he’s gonna try and compete as a woman’s figure skater! We’ve all seen him wrassle many times… RBY had undeniable women’s figure skating talent with the way he glides around the mat! Hopefully no one clubs his knee cap…like that Tonya Harding guy did to Nancy Kerrigan!

I was actually wondering if he was still around, especially when Ybarra started some matches. He is shown on the roster, not sure if injured or whatever.

lol That’s wild. Aaron Cashman? God bless the young man as he’s a million times tougher than me but he’s just not a factor at this level.

Cael is smack dap in the middle of the best high school wrestling in the country. He was not so hot with his recruiting at ISU. How many titles did he win at ISU? How many times did he beat Iowa when he was at ISU?

This is not a strong take. The ball was rolling for Cael at ISU and he had David Taylor committed and Matt Brown coming in. Seems like he had another horse that switched to PSU after being committed to ISU as well. He was recruiting VERY well. The means aren’t present at ISU to have the run he’s seen at PSU but he would have done really, really well there.

This is a take so bad you might want to delete your account. Yeesh.

The only part I somewhat disagree with is that Penn State's development is anything special. Most of their scoring comes in as elite studs - and these wrestlers basically complete for national championships as true freshmen. We don't see a lot of wrestlers come into PSU as low all-Americans or not placing their freshman year ever turn into anything special/develop. The way PSU wins is clear - they get the best of the best, most athletic/elite wrestlers every year - they have a clear advantage in recruiting. I don't care what the recruiting services say - PSU identifies and recruits the most elite wrestlers and gets them a great percentage of the time. How many other schools have had true freshmen compete for titles in the past decade-plus? It feels like PSU has had as many as all other schools combined.

The tournament rewards teams with elite wrestlers - not the most balanced team like a dual team championship would. In the current point structure and format, a team with 4-5 finalists will be in the position to win the tournament almost every year - even if the other 5 aren't contributing a lot of scoring. The best way to win the championship under the current rules is not recruiting a very good team of 10 good/great wrestlers - it's about recruiting half of a team of elite wrestlers.
Makes me wonder how many dual meets Penn State has won the last 12 years?

Edit: I randomly picked the 2015-2016 PSU team to check the OP’s assertion that few of Cael’s starters over the past 10 years have been PA guys. That team went undefeated, won the dual championship series over OKST, won the Big Ten Tournament and won the NCAA tournament. 8 of the team’s 10 starters were PA guys.
You're right, you cherry-picked that 2016 team. Also, you apparently failed to acknowledge where I said "relatively." As noted before, this year's PSU team (and many from past years) have numerous top-level recruits from other states. Even though PA is clearly an outstanding prep wrestling state, if Karl recruited mainly PA guys, they would not be dominating like they are now.

It's extremely obvious (though maybe not to you) that no matter the sport, the successful Div. 1 universities recruit heavily from outside of their state. It's been that way for decades. Gable had a large number of studs from Iowa, but he needed top-level talent from other states in order to be dominating.

Anyone have any insight on a possible 157 transfer? For that matter, any studs who could enter the portal at any weight?

Not so sure you hand F*** st the title next year? Certainly should be favorites but we are right there with them at 197-285. 125 a healthy Lee is way above anything they have. 133 is a bit of a question mark but I find it hard to believe the great Fale will let RBY walk! If he does leave, I like our chances to beat them at 133.

141 remains to be seen but Henson looks solid. Murin you have to believe gives us an edge at 149. 157 is a big question mark for us? 165 appears to be two new studs but I have to favor the HAWK here. That only leaves 174-184 where we have Brands and assad. We will need those two or at least one to jump levels and I believe we have a shot.

A 157 stud transfer could certainly tilt this into our favor. Just picture Carr coming over to fill the spot. I KNOW it is a long shot but you get the idea.
You are much more fun to read when you are day drinking as opposed to bitterly calling young people names.
Carr coming to Iowa is a long shot? How long? How many zeros in that probability?
You like your 165 freshman stud over PSU's 165 stud? Based on what? Past development of "stud" recruits? Especially at anything over 125.

Funny story about Cashman and Joe Kelly… my bro said that when this happened, he had never laughed harder in his entire life.

So Aaron Cashman and Joe Kelly are best friends. Brennan is actually starting to hang out with that duo a lot himself, which is funny to me because with Joe at West Liberty and us generally in the same district for most sports at Mepo, Brennan and Joe were rivals on the football field, on the wrestling mat and on the track during HS. Anyways, Joe is actually dating Cashman’s sister. Story is, during Thanksgiving, the team had some sort of activity in which they had to say something that they were thankful for… when it became Joe Kelly’s turn, Joe said, “I am thankful for Cashman’s sister!!!” And the entire place erupted in laughter… and then it was Cashman’s turn and he managed to multiply the laughter when he said, “I am thankful that Joe has a tiny ___” I’m sure you can guess what the last word was. Apparently people were just laughing hysterically. My bro said he literally couldn’t stop laughing for it was so funny….

and they say they don’t have fun at Iowa! 🙄

You're right, you cherry-picked that 2016 team. Also, you apparently failed to acknowledge where I said "relatively." As noted before, this year's PSU team (and many from past years) have numerous top-level recruits from other states. Even though PA is clearly an outstanding prep wrestling state, if Karl recruited mainly PA guys, they would not be dominating like they are now.

It's extremely obvious (though maybe not to you) that no matter the sport, the successful Div. 1 universities recruit heavily from outside of their state. It's been that way for decades. Gable had a large number of studs from Iowa, but he needed top-level talent from other states in order to be dominating.
Cael arrived at PSU for the 2009-2010 season. The following are post-season starters per year from PA high schools:

2010: 5
2011: 6
2012: 6
2013: 7
2014: 6
2015: 6
2016: 7 (8 was the lineup against okst that I checked originally)
2017: 6
2018: 5
2019: 3
2020: 4
2021: 3
2022: 3

Slightly more than half the starters during Cael’s leadership have been from PA high schools.

A number have also been from our neighboring states of (especially) NJ, NY, OH and MD.

Last edited:
You are much more fun to read when you are day drinking as opposed to bitterly calling young people names.
Carr coming to Iowa is a long shot? How long? How many zeros in that probability?
You like your 165 freshman stud over PSU's 165 stud? Based on what? Past development of "stud" recruits? Especially at anything over 125.
What young people did I call names?

Did not say anything about the ODDS of getting Carr?

When IOWA has a #1 type stud, you can 100% count on them to do battle with anyone! You point out 125. Spencer Lee was # 1 or 2 or whatever. How has he done? Now if we had the incredible amount that you F*** guys have had. It would not even be close. If anything, you should be honestly asking. How in heck are these guys ALWAYS at or near the top with the recruiting difference being so overwhelmingly in your favor?

That being said, YES I like our guy at 165. I am guessing you might like your guy? That is usually how it works until the matches actually go down.

Cael arrived at PSU for the 2009-2010 season. The following are post-season starters per year from PA high schools:

2010: 5
2011: 6
2012: 6
2013: 7
2014: 6
2015: 6
2016: 7 (8 was the lineup against okst that I checked originally)
2017: 6
2018: 5
2019: 3
2020: 4
2021: 3
2022: 3

Slightly more than half the starters during Cael’s leadership have been from PA high schools.

A number have also been from our neighboring states of (especially) NJ, NY, OH and MD.
You STILL don't understand what I'm getting at. How many different ways do I have to say it? Did the Hawks win their titles with the entire lineup being from the state of Iowa? Of course not. They had many elite wrestlers from Iowa, and a number of out-of-state studs. Same with PSU. Do you really think that PSU would win year after year with only PA recruits, and no studs from other states? THAT is what I've been saying since my original post.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
You STILL don't understand what I'm getting at. How many different ways do I have to say it? Did the Hawks win their titles with the entire lineup being from the state of Iowa? Of course not. They had many elite wrestlers from Iowa, and a number of out-of-state studs. Same with PSU. Do you really think that PSU would win year after year with only PA recruits, and no studs from other states? THAT is what I've been saying since my original post.
The point about the need for a national recruiting strategy is of course valid.

The assertion that I cherry-picked the 2016 squad was not, and the following statement in your OP was the focus of my reaction:

- “Relatively few of PSU's starters are from PA, not now and not in the past 10 years.”

(Unless “relatively few” means more than half, it’s not an accurate representation.)

Last edited:
To answer your question, I would say it would be a strong yes. Maybe not as many individual champs (who knows, right?), but annual team NCAA title hunt is not out of the question. Imagine Spencer Lee, Kemerer, Cruz, DeSanto, Sasso, Hidlay brothers, Woods, Pletcher, Lizak, Shields, Marsteller, Labriola and etc. were coached by Cael to go along with Nolf, Retherford, Joseph, Starocci, Ruth, Wright, Megaludis and etc.

I was actually wondering if he was still around, especially when Ybarra started some matches. He is shown on the roster, not sure if injured or whatever.
I’m pretty sure the field has passed him by. That’s what sometimes happens with top 100 guys.

To answer your question, I would say it would be a strong yes. Maybe not as many individual champs (who knows, right?), but annual team NCAA title hunt is not out of the question. Imagine Spencer Lee, Kemerer, Cruz, DeSanto, Sasso, Hidlay brothers, Woods, Pletcher, Lizak, Shields, Marsteller, Labriola and etc. were coached by Cael to go along with Nolf, Retherford, Joseph, Starocci, Ruth, Wright, Megaludis and etc.
These were NOT recruits (i.e. signings) of the Sling Blade guy --- they chose to go elsewhere. Not sure what your point is. I had no idea that you Nit-A-Nees were so dense, or just trolling here. To further clarify, since you and Patty seem unable to grasp a simple thought --- Do you really think that PSU would win year after year with only PA recruits (**those who choose to sign with PSU), and no studs from other states? As Patty has already listed, the past four years PSU has had only 3-4 starters who were PA preps --- therefore Bael has clearly recognized the value of recruiting both inside and OUTSIDE of PA, that while PA is full of outstanding wrestlers, not enough of them are top 10 P4P.

These were NOT recruits (i.e. signings) of the Sling Blade guy --- they chose to go elsewhere. Not sure what your point is. I had no idea that you Nit-A-Nees were so dense, or just trolling here. To further clarify, since you and Patty seem unable to grasp a simple thought --- Do you really think that PSU would win year after year with only PA recruits (**those who choose to sign with PSU), and no studs from other states? As Patty has already listed, the past four years PSU has had only 3-4 starters who were PA preps --- therefore Bael has clearly recognized the value of recruiting both inside and OUTSIDE of PA, that while PA is full of outstanding wrestlers, not enough of them are top 10 P4P.
Your original question:
"Do you really think that PSU would win year after year with only PA recruits, and no studs from other states?"

After losing the argument, you modified the question to:
"Do you really think that PSU would win year after year with only PA recruits (**those who choose to sign with PSU), and no studs from other states?"

No one can keep up with your ever-moving goalpost question anymore. Peace!

Your original question:
"Do you really think that PSU would win year after year with only PA recruits, and no studs from other states?"

After losing the argument, you modified the question to:
"Do you really think that PSU would win year after year with only PA recruits (**those who choose to sign with PSU), and no studs from other states?"

No one can keep up with your ever-moving goalpost question anymore. Peace!
How are those two statements any different? Aside from wording? This is the dumbest argument I’ve seen on here in awhile, and there are two other threads that prominently feature dumb arguments thanks to that Nchawk guy feeding the trolls.

JFC this is a shithole for the criminally insane and stupid. F off PSU d bags and crawl back to warm embrace of Caels asshole. Damnit. This last week has been terrible, nitpicking and arguing over semantics.

How are those two statements any different? Aside from wording? This is the dumbest argument I’ve seen on here in awhile, and there are two other threads that prominently feature dumb arguments thanks to that Nchawk guy feeding the trolls.

JFC this is a shithole for the criminally insane and stupid. F off PSU d bags and crawl back to warm embrace of Caels asshole. Damnit. This last week has been terrible, nitpicking and arguing over semantics.
How are the two statements different?! Sorry, but I can't impart reading comprehensions on you guys. You guys will just have to figure it out among yourselves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT