ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

hawkeyedude#1

HR MVP
Oct 4, 2010
It's the nature of the beast as this conversation comes up every year about how seniors' production will be replaced, however...

next year will be a looooooong year unless someone is brought in to fill the rebounding (and scoring to a certain degree) void when Gabe and Aaron leave. We have nobody waiting in the wings and Woodbury alone is clearly not the solution. Uhl has shown some promise, however, I'm not so sure he's the solution underneath either as he appears to be more of a wing type player that clearly needs to add alot of strength / weight if he's to be counted on underneath.

Next year is the Uthoff, Jok, Gesell, and Woody show.

Will that be good? Who knows. I think Uthoff will be great hopefully at least.

It will be them 4, and a bunch of really young guys.

We will definitely need a couple of those freshman to step up.

I think think Flemming has the attitude to do it possibly.

I am still not sure WHAT to think of the team next year. Could be surprisingly good, could be predictably terrible.

This post was edited on 3/13 12:34 PM by hansenhawk

I think Wagner might be forced to play the backup 5 if we don't get someone in. Since he played football he might be able to hold it down. Already at about 215, maybe add another 10 lbs and we might be good.

lets see, 6'10 Olaseni is 2 in blocks with 50 to 6'9 Uthoff with 54. rebounding Gabe has 156 rebounds to Uthoff's 201

not much difference between a 6'9 vs 6'10 player. and JU only weighs 210 lbs

Jok is avg'ing 7.0 ppg and hopefully can avg 12-13 ppg

Uhl is only avg'ing 2.1 ppg in 10 mpg, at 6'8 I think he can easily score 8-10 ppg and he did avg 1.9 rpg with 59 total rebounds, the rebounding will be made up by him and Wagner, Basabe was only 6'7 and he avg'd 11 ppg 6.8 rpg, do I expect Wagner to do that "no" but it won't surprise me either

Uhl can replace some of Gabe's production as well as Whites production he just need some good playing weight added White only weighed 225 lbs

as for 6'5 JO his replacements look to be these
6'5 Moss who can play the 1-2-3
6'4 Ellingson who can play the 2 or WG position
6'5/6'6 Flemming who can play the 1-2-3

that makes a 3 for 1 trade

Moss looks to me like a Devyn Marble type player
Flemming looks like a Horner type player to me
Ellingson looks like a Gatens type player to me

will they come close to being as good I have no Idea

Hutton looks to me like a May type player, defensive and athletic type of 3 same type of scoring ability. but a upgrade in my opinion

hoping that somebody lites a fire under Woody's ass next year and teaches him he needs to be more aggressive in going to the hoop vs that tinker bell approach,

replacing bench players will be easy but replacing White's SR leadership will be hard to do but not impossible as there will be 3 SR starters next season,

in fact the lineup will look like this and they all are improving each season

PG SR 6'2 Gesell 7.1 ppg 3.9 apg and 1 spg
SG JR 6'6 Jok 7.0 ppg 1.3 apg 2.6 rpg and 0.6 spg
SF RSSR 6'9 Uthoff 12.2 ppg 6.3 rpg 1.8 apg 1.2 spg and 1.7 bpg
PF SO 6'8 Uhl 2.1 ppg 1.9 ppg in 10.4 mpg
C SR 7'1 Woodbury 6.7 ppg 5.2 rpg

even the backup will have height except at the center position
PG SR 6'2 Clemmons
SG RSFR 6'4 Ellingson/FR 6'5 Moss 6'5/6'6 FR Fleming
SF FR 6'6 Hutton
PF FR 6'7 Wagner
C ?

there ia a advantage to using/going 10 deep when you have the players to do so, as it makes the transition from the outgoing SR's to the under classmen

Jok's improvement will also be a key and then Fran may bring in an additional transfer to help. I bet he does.

Agree with the OP. Hawks really need to add a big physical player, who can step in right away to help rebound and defend the basket. Any scoring would be a bonus.

We could be pretty decent in the wing/perimeter game next year, but I have serious concerns about the front court.

Even if Woody does prove to be capable of being THE man next year (very much up for debate), he can't play 40 mpg. There will be foul trouble, fatigue, and the possibility of injury to consider.

Gesell and Clemmons have a 2 year track record of not being able to produce anything consistently on the offensive end of the court. To expect them to step up and fill the gap offensively is really questionable, imo. PJ has completely disappeared in recent games and while I thought/hoped he might fill Marble's loss, I no longer feel that way. Points will be hard to come by, imo, and Iowa will be in a rebuilding mode rather than fielding a competitive Big 10 team. The only hope to change this is if they can sign a couple of significant recruits with their last 2 scholly's.

Not a natural leader coming back next year. that is a problem and a concern when were in Fran's 6th year next year.

I think people will be surprised at how much Jok, Uhl and, yes, Woody will improve from this year to the next. I also think that we will be in good hands with Gessel and Clemmons.

I can recall the days of big men like Lohaus, Jepsen, Millard, Earl, etc. making huge strides in their Senior years...I expect the lightbulb to go on in Woody during the summer and for him to be what we hoped for next year.

Its important to get at least one other scorer next year to compliment Uthoff and I think Jok will be the man...I would not be surprised to see both Jok and Uthoff average in the high teens next year with Uhl and Woodbury chipping in anothe 10-12 each, Both Clemmons and Gessel will need to step up the offensive production as well and anything they can get will be gravy.

Will we miss this year's great seniors? Yep, a lot. Can they be replaced? You damn right they can...and they will be.

Next year.

There. I just said as much as anyone really can at this point.
smile.r191677.gif

In addition to Wagner playing the post next year, I think Hutton could also fill in there if needed. He is only 6-6, but he is a very physical player with a great vertical and long arms. There are a lot of PF's that have done very well in the Big 10 standing just 6-7 (for example, Nigel Hayes is a force for Wisconsin right now).

I'm not saying Hutton will end up a PF, but he can provide some minutes down low if needed. Rebounding is a team effort, and if we have a lineup full of athletic 6-5 to 6-7 players (Moss, Flemming, Hutton, and Wagner all fit that mold) then we will be able to compete on the glass.

Yes, not having a true center to back up Woodbury might hurt us in some games, but also remember that if we do get matched up against another team with a good center (like Purdue will have with Haas next year) we can also create a mismatch when we have the ball offensively because someone like Uhl should be able to drive on an opposing center all day.

I did not predict ppg for anybody
but yes I will go with Woody avg'ing 12 ppg next year. just for you

Uthoff 16-17 ppg
Jok 13-14 ppg
Woody 11-12 ppg
Gesell 9-10 ppg the main thing I look for out of MG is to see him avg 5+ apg MG DOES NOT HAVE TO AVG 20 PPG to be a leader per say like so many of you think he needs to do.
Uhl 7-8 ppg

that makes 56 points on the low side out of the starters and 61 ppg on the high side this team will/can make this a higher scoring team than this season's team is. as for 40 times can't really use those as the court is only 32 yards from end line to end line,

as for weights have no Idea how much they will weigh next fall. with these at the wing why do we need another?

RSFR 6'4 Ellingson
FR 6'5 Moss
FR 6'5 maybe 6'6 Fleming

and FR Hutton at 6'6 is a SF ONLY. IA needs a BIG, we don't need squat. WE are just fans on a msg board. some of you that clearly have no clue about what Fran needs and or WANTS.

with 2 SR's and a RSSR starting with a SR for IA's 6th man there should not be that big a drop off in wins, now the following year there should/could be a drop off, in the 16-17 season.

Woody needs to put on 20 lbs of muscle, especially if he wants to play in the NBA. Needs to live in the weight room, get the jump rope going non-stop to work on his hops, do plyos for coordination and jumpings. He has the smarts, decent shot, but he needs a ton of strength.

lets talk Fran into giving Woody to Doyle to work on till next fall. does not need much weight as he needs to have springs implanted into his legs like GO GO Gadget.

I believe the B-ball team has their own strength and conditioning coach and I don't think Doyle is the guru he was once thought to be.

Lets remember Woody has been a part of the resurgence of Iowa basketball. Iowa is not where it needs to be yet but is getting there. Woody needs to make better decisions. I noticed in the game yesterday when Penn State was bringing the ball down and the guy on their team was trying to block Woody at half court. On the replay Woody turned and saw him and lowered his shoulder and purposely tried to run through Him. He has the talent to help the team he just needs to use his head and make good decisions.

Hawkeye2222 posted on 3/13/2015...

I did not predict ppg for anybody
but yes I will go with Woody avg'ing 12 ppg next year. just for you

*You're a F'in liar-you said in a thread a couple weeks ago you predict Woody will average 12 per game next year.

And spare us the "Find the thread and prove it" BS-I'm not going to comb thru all the threads over the past two weeks to find it. You predicted it-you know it-I know it.

You're the definition of a serial liar, and if I wanted to, I could bring up other examples to prove it-you KNOW what I'm talking about.

This post was edited on 3/13 7:48 PM by 4th & 9 inches

Originally posted by hawkeyedude#1:
It's the nature of the beast as this conversation comes up every year about how seniors' production will be replaced, however...

next year will be a looooooong year unless someone is brought in to fill the rebounding (and scoring to a certain degree) void when Gabe and Aaron leave. We have nobody waiting in the wings and Woodbury alone is clearly not the solution. Uhl has shown some promise, however, I'm not so sure he's the solution underneath either as he appears to be more of a wing type player that clearly needs to add alot of strength / weight if he's to be counted on underneath.
Next year you and your band of clowns should not watch the games. Maybe focus on areas of your expertise like home shopping network. You guys can all complain about bad deals on purses and make up.

This conversation is pointless.

Just go back and cut and past the , "we can't replace Matt Gattens And "can't replace Devin Marble" threads.

People it's college basketball. There's constant turnover of 18 -20 year old kids.

Originally posted by TampaHawkfan:
We could be pretty decent in the wing/perimeter game next year, but I have serious concerns about the front court.

Even if Woody does prove to be capable of being THE man next year (very much up for debate), he can't play 40 mpg. There will be foul trouble, fatigue, and the possibility of injury to consider.
I don't think it's debatable at all. Woody has good games and he has a lot more below average to straight out terrible games. A tiger doesn't change his stripes, and Woody won't either.

We will be significantly worse next year, UNLESS Uhl or some of the Freshman REALLY step up I'm afraid. NIT all the way, if we're lucky.

Originally posted by RocknRollface:

Just go back and cut and past the , "we can't replace Matt Gattens And "can't replace Devin Marble" threads.

People it's college basketball. There's constant turnover of 18 -20 year old kids.
Exactly.

Besides, when the recruiting is done we'll fall into the same camps as always. The Lemon Suckers will spout their nonsense, optimists like myself will spout our nonsense. The pragmatic realists will try to explain things in a rational way.

No one will REALLY know what we've got until maybe some hints during the PTL and then finally a few games in the nonconference.

For the life of me, I get the realists. In fact, they help keep me a LITTLE bit centered. And optimists? Who are we really hurting?

But the doom and gloom every single thing, day after day? I don't get it.

Originally posted by LincolnHawkeye:
Uthoff will probably pick up some slack with white gone, and I could see Uhl bulking up a little and being effective on the boards
Posted from Rivals Mobile
LOL. Some guys are just meant to be thin. That doesn't mean they don't have muscle, just a different kind of look. I heard Abe Lincoln was pretty strong.

Sometimes I think there are two kinds of posters on this board. One kind is always talking about who should redshirt. they other kind is always talking about who should bulk up and put on muscle.

Originally posted by DanL53:

Exactly.

Besides, when the recruiting is done we'll fall into the same camps as always. The Lemon Suckers will spout their nonsense, optimists like myself will spout our nonsense. The pragmatic realists will try to explain things in a rational way.

No one will REALLY know what we've got until maybe some hints during the PTL and then finally a few games in the nonconference.

For the life of me, I get the realists. In fact, they help keep me a LITTLE bit centered. And optimists? Who are we really hurting?

I'm not picking on you specifically here DanL, but what about folks that see Iowa Football go 4-8 and think things are "really pretty good", "could be a lot worse", etc. That's one example. Or how about Iowa Basketball last season COMPLETELY imploding down the stretch after being ranked in the Top Ten in the country! Think of all the scenario's like those two, and then try to spin it as "optimism" that those things really aren't that bad (if you're a Sports fan, they are, plain and simple). Someone like me would lean a lot more toward thinking those folks are delusional, rather than optimistic.

All in ones perspective I guess, but in the end, reality is what it is, and all the optimism or pessimism isn't going to change real-world results. Those in The Realist Camp are the true-winners, IMO. Every now and again you can actually see it, even on a message board.

I think we could potentially be better next year as we should have better floor spacing with Uthoff at the 4. We could have more shooters on the floor at once. Uthoff at the 4, Jok at the 3, Sapp or Ellingson, or one of the freshman at the 2 spot. Wagner is an athlete and will be fine banging some down low. Hutton could fill in at the 4 some alongside Woody as he is an athlete with some strenth. We would most likely be in a zone in that case. Woody may be the most valuable hawk next year. It could get dicey if he got hurt.

Originally posted by sloehawk:

Exactly.

I'm not picking on you specifically here DanL, but what about folks that see Iowa Football go 4-8 and think things are "really pretty good", "could be a lot worse", etc. That's one example. Or how about Iowa Basketball last season COMPLETELY imploding down the stretch after being ranked in the Top Ten in the country! Think of all the scenario's like those two, and then try to spin it as "optimism" that those things really aren't that bad (if you're a Sports fan, they are, plain and simple). Someone like me would lean a lot more toward thinking those folks are delusional, rather than optimistic.

All in ones perspective I guess, but in the end, reality is what it is, and all the optimism or pessimism isn't going to change real-world results. Those in The Realist Camp are the true-winners, IMO. Every now and again you can actually see it, even on a message board.
I appreciate your posts and don't consider you a negative poster in the first place. I can only reply regarding the 1-7 stretch last season by saying that in FIVE YEARS of basketball under Fran McCaffery...those eight games sure get their time in the spotlight. And I wonder why?

(By the way, I don't follow football and sometimes I think that may have a direct relationship with my ability to see the positive side of Iowa basketball. From what I hear, football is in bad shape.)

Originally posted by hawkeyedude#1:

I think we have 6 good players coming back next year, and possibly a 7th in Ellingson. Out of these 7, Uthoff has a chance to be outstanding. We will need Wagner to play and probably one or two more of the freshmen. I think Fran will still bring in another big man to back up Woody next year. I think we will be pretty good and will certainly contend for a spot in the NCAA's again next year.

actually, you are all wrong. White is ur best player and he gone. Gabe the most versatile and franny didnt know it....so you will suck even more next year than you do this year......

What we do know is that you will always suck. Get a life you pathetic excuse. What a dumbass. But that is typical of your ilk.
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by 77clone:
actually, you are all wrong. White is ur best player and he gone. Gabe the most versatile and franny didnt know it....so you will suck even more next year than you do this year......
Well, there it is, folks. Close down the thread, nothing more to see.

Originally posted by sloehawk:

Exactly.

I appreciate your posts and don't consider you a negative poster in the first place. I can only reply regarding the 1-7 stretch last season by saying that in FIVE YEARS of basketball under Fran McCaffery...those eight games sure get their time in the spotlight. And I wonder why?

(By the way, I don't follow football and sometimes I think that may have a direct relationship with my ability to see the positive side of Iowa basketball. From what I hear, football is in bad shape.)
People remember really bad things! (the 1-7 stretch - Northwestern State, Ronnie Lester's knee injury, etc.). But I also remember us being in the Top Ten for a bit, so we can remember the good things too I suppose. Like I remember when Iowa had a decent football team.........................
wink.r191677.gif

I feel like a pessimist, or a realist, hopefully the latter more often than not, and maybe even hopeful, but I guess I'm just a show me type. Though I like to think I CAN be an optimist, just want to have a clear reason to be so. Iowa Football and Basketball haven't given me that kind of "overall" feeling for years. But I do like Fran, and I'm hopeful he can keep getting better, but I've lost all confidence in Kirk, that ship has sailed for me.

9 inches in this thread I did not lie, ALL I did was list the starting line up as I see AND I DID NOT list ppg for anybody in that post.

I have never changed my stance on Woody scoring 12 ppg. you try your best but as usual you have failed miserably.

Hawkeye2222 posted on 3/14/2015...

9 inches in this thread I did not lie, ALL I did was list the starting line up as I see AND I DID NOT list ppg for anybody in that post.

*You need to get to the hospital-you've obviously had another stroke. You listed what you "hope" or "think" Jok and Uhl will average next season in your original post in this thread, but we're talking about your Woody @ 12/game post you made in a thread a couple weeks ago that you have now conveniently forgot.

The fact that you're not going ape shit trying to defend yourself and dispel what I have claimed you said shows right there you know you're wrong but don't have the guts to be a man and admit it.

You try your best to be an honest person but as usual you have failed miserably.

This post was edited on 3/14 9:43 AM by 4th & 9 inches

then why did I state that I AM STICKING BY MY CLAIM that Woody will avg 12 ppg.

as for the others I can only project what they will do. again this is what I am doing with Woody "PROJECTING" and I am sticking with it. its not like I suddenly went from 12 ppg to 8 ppg. and 9" that is what you are trying to make it out to be what I did

now it is you that is the liar not me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT