ADVERTISEMENT

next years wide receivers

Zoom calls don’t make a qb. Petras will be solid.
What's interesting (to me) is that usually Iowa QBs play their best ball (production-wise) early in the season before the winds really turn cold and blustery. Just check out the production of Stanley and (especially) Stanzi ... and you'll see that the the numbers back this up. (check them out in the following link if you wish - data/evidence is your friend!)

What is intriguing about Petras is that he ended up averaging around 196 yards per game ... and he managed that DESPITE the fact that 6 of our 8 games were in November and December. Heck, the Northwestern game was one of the worst (in terms of wind) ... and that game was on Oct. 31 (he threw a bunch of picks ... but also thew for some yards too).

The data would seem to support the hypothesis that the '21 Iowa QB will likely average AT LEAST 200 yards per game through the air. Should that transpire ... through a 13 game season ... that implies that we should see AT LEAST 2600 yards through the air.

Given that number (roughly 2600 passing yards) ... how will those numbers get distributed among the different targets?

Bryzzo's predictions might prove accurate ... although I expect our top WRs will likely land closer to 700+ yards. I think that maybe LaPorta's production might be a little lower (than Bryzzo predicted). I also think that we'll see Lachey jump on the scene and probably land around 180+ yards.

Reactions: Bryzzo
He has had non-zoom training camps also.

0b19eef1-c138-4180-9b60-7960bb73cbde-190810-Iowa_QBs-007.JPG
Thanks captain.
11-11 full speed first team reps?

Thanks captain.
11-11 full speed first team reps?
Thanks Coxswain.

Yes, in addition to the camps which included the spring game he now has had 16 halves of live fire football, he has performed average in 2 of them. The second half of Illinois and the second half of Wisconsin. Go back and watch just the first half of IA vs Wiscy he was sub 55% completion percentage for a whopping 87 yards, 7 games in.

Watch this and tell me this guy has any feel for the game:

That is not an athlete playing the game, that is someone seeing a play on a whiteboard in their head and spitting out the answer. As others have mentioned previously when everything is on script he looks OK, if there is any deviation to that he starts throwing error messages like a computer with bad coding.

Last edited:
Yes, in addition to the camps which included the spring game he now has had 16 halves of live fire football, he has performed average in 2 of them. The second half of Illinois and the second half of Wisconsin. Go back and watch just the first half of IA vs Wiscy he was sub 55% completion percentage for a whopping 87 yards, 7 games in.

That is not an athlete playing the game that is a someone seeing a play on a whiteboard in their head and spitting out the answer. As others have mentioned previously when everything is on script he looks OK, if there is any deviation to that he starts throwing error messages like a computer with bad coding.
That's the thing about young people who are still learning ... they're going to have their ups and downs.

10 games into Nate Stanley's first year of starts ... and that is with the benefit of a full prior fall and spring camp:
Nate Stanley8/24411.701
Those are his passing numbers against Wisconsin! One of the biggest duds of a game in Iowa history (as it relates to the passing game).

As it relates to Petras ... the Hawks have been off-schedule and he still helped us to convert on 3rd and longs. I recall times when we had 3rd and longs with either Christensen or Rudock at QB ... and it was a death sentence in those instances. I remember my heart sinking every time when we got caught in those circumstances with Christensen or Rudock.

Petras definitely has demonstrated that he doesn't play with the sort of consistency we'd like to see. However, he's helped us to convert on the aforementioned 3rd and long scenarios already at this early juncture of his Hawkeye career.

Fans must allow for the likely scenario that Petras can and will improve. The bigger question will be whether he improves "enough."

That's the thing about young people who are still learning ... they're going to have their ups and downs.

10 games into Nate Stanley's first year of starts ... and that is with the benefit of a full prior fall and spring camp:
Nate Stanley8/24411.701
Those are his passing numbers against Wisconsin! One of the biggest duds of a game in Iowa history (as it relates to the passing game).

As it relates to Petras ... the Hawks have been off-schedule and he still helped us to convert on 3rd and longs. I recall times when we had 3rd and longs with either Christensen or Rudock at QB ... and it was a death sentence in those instances. I remember my heart sinking every time when we got caught in those circumstances with Christensen or Rudock.

Petras definitely has demonstrated that he doesn't play with the sort of consistency we'd like to see. However, he's helped us to convert on the aforementioned 3rd and long scenarios already at this early juncture of his Hawkeye career.

Fans must allow for the likely scenario that Petras can and will improve. The bigger question will be whether he improves "enough."
If you remember correctly fans wanted everyone fired and the QB to pay for his bus ride back to BFE Wisconsin after that game. I agree time needs to be given but if the time is given to SP with this level of ROI what does that say about the rest of the group. You might be familiar with the native American saying of the wolves on each shoulder and the one you feed getting stronger? Are we sure we are feeding the right wolf and if so our other wolves are not D1 QBs.

Reactions: RomanHawk
Petras is one of the worst Power 5 QB's I have ever seen. Anybody that thinks he is decent doesn't know football. I don't care if his stats improved towards the end of the season. This dude is not it.
Ummm ... you seem to think that Petras's ability and aptitude are statically cast ... that they cannot (and/or) will not change. This line of thinking is not only erroneous ... but it is also highly disrespectful. These guys worked really hard ... under very trying conditions ... and they did nothing less than to win all but 2 of their conference games.

Can you name the other Ferentz-era squads that managed this feat?

Ummm ... you seem to think that Petras's ability and aptitude are statically cast ... that they cannot (and/or) will not change. This line of thinking is not only erroneous ... but it is also highly disrespectful. These guys worked really hard ... under very trying conditions ... and they did nothing less than to win all but 2 of their conference games.

Can you name the other Ferentz-era squads that managed this feat?
YOUR thinking is a logical fallacy. By your logic, nobody could ever be to blame for QB play because they could “always improve”. Have you ever seen a college QB go from awful to great? Ever remember saying, “Gee, remember how bad he used to be and now he’s really good?”

Petras’ ceiling is average at absolute best. Petras’ play has nothing to do with this team being 6-2. He actually is solely responsible for a Northwestern Loss. If Alabama had a monkey for a QB they could go 12-0 in D2 by handing the ball to Harris 55 times a game.

Disrespectful..? This is D1 football, buddy. Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade.. and that spade is Petras being awful. Not a personal attack. I wish him the best, Is a coach disrespectful for benching players that aren’t performing?

Reactions: RomanHawk
YOUR thinking is a logical fallacy. By your logic, nobody could ever be to blame for QB play because they could “always improve”. Have you ever seen a college QB go from awful to great? Ever remember saying, “Gee, remember how bad he used to be and now he’s really good?”

Petras’ ceiling is average at absolute best. Petras’ play has nothing to do with this team being 6-2. He actually is solely responsible for a Northwestern Loss. If Alabama had a monkey for a QB they could go 12-0 in D2 by handing the ball to Harris 55 times a game.

Disrespectful..? This is D1 football, buddy. Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade.. and that spade is Petras being awful. Not a personal attack. I wish him the best, Is a coach disrespectful for benching players that aren’t performing?
I'm going off of a time-series of data ... I saw an Iowa O that still managed to average over 30 points per game. That doesn't happen all that often at Iowa. I saw a QB who DID show improvement through the year.

Also, you're misinterpreting my posts if you believe I'm anointing Petras. Right now, our measuring stick for his performance is simply based on an incomplete season of starts ... without the benefit of a full spring and fall camp leading into the season!

Our data is far from complete ... and it's probably even further from being representative.

It's true that most players ARE capable of improvement. However, as it relates to athletics (as with other endeavors) ... the bigger issue will the DEGREE of improvement made by the individual.

It's amusing that you contend that my statement is a logical fallacy ... and yet you don't deconstruct it's logical underpinnings. Blustering itself isn't an argument. Your argument was obviously erroneous ... because you were assuming NO CHANGE. My logic would be erroneous if I were to suggest that Petras's presumed improvement would ensure that he remains the starter. As I've alluded before ... the degree of Petras's improvement will be the true indicator of whether he continues to hold onto the starting gig.

Please try again! :)

I believe that folks are underselling Ragaini. All the kid does is get open. His progression has reminded me a bit of Matt VandeBerg. Folks complained about Matt seeing snaps ahead of Willies back in '14 ... however, given his play in '15 (and the impressive start to '16) ... hindsight seems to indicate that the snaps were merited given his production.

Not unlike VandeBerg's early years ... hits over the middle could dislodge the ball a little too easily. However, each year, Matt's reliability seemed to ramp up (accounting for QB transitions and injuries). I think that we'll see Nico's consistency/reliability improve too.

Good post. Nico is much stockier than Matt. Nico lacks Matt's vertical. I think Nico will be long term more resilient for that reason. Everyone in the stadium knows there is a missile headed in the direction of Y man with the ball in his hands.

This year Iowa was suppose to have one of it's best wide receiving groups in the KF era. With the loss of ISM and Smith, Will we still have a solid group?
The passing game was without question disappointing this year. That was with what was regarded as KF's best and more experienced wr group in his time here. So much of our wr success depends on our QB play, however, which was marginal at best this year.

Reactions: 24 so far
Can someone list and describe the difference between the X, Y and Z WR positions? Is Z outside and Y the slot position? Sounds like the stable is well stocked with Combs/Jones/Brecht/Hutson/Matthews/Tracy/Raigani/Bruce/Vines/Kritta. That's 10 receivers for about 5 positions of PT IMO.
Would expect Iowa to flex Bruce into the backfield as well to keep teams off balance.

Can someone list and describe the difference between the X, Y and Z WR positions? Is Z outside and Y the slot position? Sounds like the stable is well stocked with Combs/Jones/Brecht/Hutson/Matthews/Tracy/Raigani/Bruce/Vines/Kritta. That's 10 receivers for about 5 positions of PT IMO.
Would expect Iowa to flex Bruce into the backfield as well to keep teams off balance.
This isn’t a simple answer as it is formation dependent. However, generally the X and Z receivers are split. X receiver is on the side opposite the tight end and lined up on the line of scrimmage. Big bodies in Iowa’s scheme, B Smith, Hutson, Brecht (eventually) . The Z receiver is off the line, speed guy that can go in motion ie Ihmir, Jones, Combs (Vines and Johnson eventually). Slot H is self explanantory., quick out of breaks Ragaini, Tracy (in a pinch) Matthews (eventually).

I cannot explain it like a coach, so if there is a coach on here please correct me. The Y is the modern third WR. Initially a sub for a TE but in most modern offenses the FB is out. Y routes are usual fairly short, 10-15 yards, typically over the middle. But a lot of their routes bounce outside into the space vacated by the X and Z receivers who have already taken a defender down field. At least that's a simple explanation.

Wes Welker was the prototypical Y receiver. Guys can play multiple positions but the goal is to identify whose talents best fit which routes. Most of that I've picked up on the NFL SIRIUS channel.

Y routes rarely end without a pretty big hit.

Reactions: BigOHawk
I'm going off of a time-series of data ... I saw an Iowa O that still managed to average over 30 points per game. That doesn't happen all that often at Iowa. I saw a QB who DID show improvement through the year.

Also, you're misinterpreting my posts if you believe I'm anointing Petras. Right now, our measuring stick for his performance is simply based on an incomplete season of starts ... without the benefit of a full spring and fall camp leading into the season!

Our data is far from complete ... and it's probably even further from being representative.

It's true that most players ARE capable of improvement. However, as it relates to athletics (as with other endeavors) ... the bigger issue will the DEGREE of improvement made by the individual.

It's amusing that you contend that my statement is a logical fallacy ... and yet you don't deconstruct it's logical underpinnings. Blustering itself isn't an argument. Your argument was obviously erroneous ... because you were assuming NO CHANGE. My logic would be erroneous if I were to suggest that Petras's presumed improvement would ensure that he remains the starter. As I've alluded before ... the degree of Petras's improvement will be the true indicator of whether he continues to hold onto the starting gig.

Please try again! :)
The bolded is the problem. It wasn't true last year (at least not before the last 2 games), wasn't true in some prior years, and unfortunately, probably won't be true this year.

Last edited:
The bolded is the problem. It wasn't true last year (at least not before the last 2 games), wasn't true in some prior years, and unfortunately, probably won't be true this year.
Would you care supply evidence of this purported lack of improvement? If you require it ... I can happily oblige and provide evidence concerning improvement made by guys who have worked within O'Keefe's base scheme (so we have apples-to-apples comparisons) ... with specific emphasis upon Stanley and Stanzi.

Would you care supply evidence of this purported lack of improvement? If you require it ... I can happily oblige and provide evidence concerning improvement made by guys who have worked within O'Keefe's base scheme (so we have apples-to-apples comparisons) ... with specific emphasis upon Stanley and Stanzi.
Make sure your provide Stanley's "we didn't work on mechanics" quote with your information.

Make sure your provide Stanley's "we didn't work on mechanics" quote with your information.
LOL! That's absolutely fair. That's O'Keefe for ya. They recruit guys with the thought and/or knowledge that the guy can throw the ball. Thus, Iowa's emphasis with the QB is almost exclusively on learning the game.

To further your point ... Dick Olin was disappointed with Iowa in '06 that the Hawks didn't pick up on Drew's injury affecting his throwing mechanics. Again ... mechanics is simply not the focus (at least for O'Keefe).

Almost every Iowa QB improved and significantly over their career.

Tate and Beathard were injured senior seasons and were less productive but, when healthy were sharper. I'll grant its hard to say about Tate because he started as an outstanding QB.

Stanzi and Stanley both improved tremendously over three starting seasons. The Bear hunter improved over his seasons behind Stanzi and had a great junior year starting. Changing QB coach and OC wrecked his senior season, not KOK's doing. Of course Banks went from a kind of lost JUCO transfer with good athletic skills but damn little apparent football IQ to Heisman runner up; pretty sure that was the product of good coaching since the teachable aspects of football improved like night to day between Brad's junior and senior season. Kyle McCann and Chandler both improved over their Iowa careers, especially Kyle.

KOK is damn fine QB coach and Iowa is lucky he returned from the NFL. QB play will improve next season, the question is from whom will the improved play come. Spencer has the inside lane but the inside horse does not always win.

LOL! That's absolutely fair. That's O'Keefe for ya. They recruit guys with the thought and/or knowledge that the guy can throw the ball. Thus, Iowa's emphasis with the QB is almost exclusively on learning the game.

To further your point ... Dick Olin was disappointed with Iowa in '06 that the Hawks didn't pick up on Drew's injury affecting his throwing mechanics. Again ... mechanics is simply not the focus (at least for O'Keefe).

Spencer's physical mechanics are great. As I've said, when he's confident in his throws Spencer sets his feet and he hits it on the dime, with great velocity and arm strength. Spencer lacks the mental and emotional aspects of the position, which are the teachable aspects of the position. The question remaining is Spencer teachable or is he wound so tight he'll never settle into the position.

Ragiani needs to remain in the slot. He is perfect for that spot. Need someone that can stretch the field....that is the important fill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT