ADVERTISEMENT

Youtube video of some Lester WMU offensive plays

I actually really enjoyed that. Definitely some much needed things to add to the offense and hopefully help out the OL a tad. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: SI_NYC
And there’s a good chance we’ll see none of that next year.

Or if we do, judging by the performance of the players the last few seasons, are you confident they can even execute Lester offense ??

Reactions: onionman1
IF Kirk will allow these concepts (Pitch Iso, Mesh RPO, Echo routes) as part of the offense and commits to a utilizing 12 personnel (H-back / Move vs. In-line) I think this offense can be a strong, efficient offense. (Think SF 49er -light)

Reactions: ClarindaA's

Or if we do, judging by the performance of the players the last few seasons, are you confident they can even execute Lester offense ??
I think they can if that's what they practice with a real qb.

Reactions: AlvySinger
Generally promising. One big positive is that I did not see receivers running to same spot, which has been very frustrating over last couple of years. Also, I did not know it was allowed for your QB to look off DBs and go to a 2nd or 3rd read.

That quick pitch will not work as well against BIG10 LBs as it did against MAC guys. Not a lot of pre-play motion for receivers,... would like to see more of that incorporated.

Yep. However, I did see a fair amount of QB option run plays too.
Deacon is excited about the possibilities.

Krispy Kreme People GIF

Last edited:
Yep. However, I did see a fair amount of QB option run plays too.

Doesn’t bother me if we run or don’t run read option plays. Would be nice to have that in the arsenal but not essential.

Even using the RPO would represent a significant evolution in the offense for us.

IF Kirk will allow these concepts (Pitch Iso, Mesh RPO, Echo routes) as part of the offense and commits to a utilizing 12 personnel (H-back / Move vs. In-line) I think this offense can be a strong, efficient offense. (Think SF 49er -light)
Telling you, meshing these concepts could be really, really difficult on opposing LB / S

San Fran Run Game

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
More motion, better WR routes, a few deep passes, more run misdirection...... added to the offense would help IMO.

Basically anything which significantly changes tendencies will be a welcomed change.

Kirk will make Tim watch this before he is allowed to create a playbook
Gotta love 1:43.

Talks about how Stanley wasn't respected with the run, so the end crashes. BF says I wouldn't respect it either.

LOL - Yet, you then choose to play Deacon Hill, the epitome of not respecting the QB run.

My, he curses a lot, even the eff bomb on an instructional video.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
The issue with some of these plays is that they require a mobile QB. Which Cade McNamara is not. Sure, we could sub in Marco, but won't that make the fact that we want to run obvious?

The issue with some of these plays is that they require a mobile QB. Which Cade McNamara is not. Sure, we could sub in Marco, but won't that make the fact that we want to run obvious?
Lainez and Resar are both mobile. It would be 'Brad Banks' level stupid not to utilize that.

I laughed at Brian a few minutes into the video! The naked boot is tied directly into how successful the run game will be. Did we even run it more than once all last year????

More motion, better WR routes, a few deep passes, more run misdirection...... added to the offense would help IMO.

Basically anything which significantly changes tendencies will be a welcomed change.
He spred his wide receivers out more and did some nice rub routes.

That would be a read option. Not the same thing at all.
Okay bud, I know what I'm talking about. It's called QB run RPO just Google it, there's all kinds of videos and things. The runner option in this instance is the quarterback. he does a slight roll out of some sort and can either pass to an open receiver or run. Sometimes they do a read option look then the quarterback rolls and can either run himself or throw. These are all versions of an RPO.

Reactions: Easthawk1062
Okay bud, I know what I'm talking about. It's called QB run RPO just Google it, there's all kinds of videos and things. The runner option in this instance is the quarterback. he does a slight roll out of some sort and can either pass to an open receiver or run. Sometimes they do a read option look then the quarterback rolls and can either run himself or throw. These are all versions of an RPO.
Puts pressure on DBs or Apex LBs covering swing routes etc. If coverage man slow plays the route QB hits it. If coverage guy flows over for the route QB takes off for the void.

Deacon running the qb draw in the new system. Linemen assisting him getting off the snap.

tin man GIF

That would be an absolute shame. Can Kirk really be that stupid? Kirk ball on O is the laughingstock of the cfb world.
Nm, I know the answer.
Once Barta gave him unchecked power and a one-sided extension...the die was cast.

Reactions: Sett1997
But the typical RPO doesn’t include a QB run, so why would that preclude McNamara from being able to perform it? Even Petras, or Deacon, could have ran RPO plays.

Last edited:
Nobody is advocating CM be involved in a QB run RPO. RPO = run/pass option - you have the option to hand it off, or throw it based on your read. CM will wither hand it off or throw it. No running by him involved.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Run/pass options (RPOs) are simple concepts that have been a part of the pro game for a while now, yet they still get butchered by commentators during games. Some commentators will even call zone-read plays with no pass concept tagged an RPO. RPOs are concepts in which the quarterback has the option to hand the ball off, run the ball or throw the ball. The key there is the option to throw the ball. The pass option essentially is a way to protect the run concept from defenses that load the box or flow toward the run concept too fast.
That would be a read option. Not the same thing at all.

Reactions: sober_teacher

If Kirk lets Lester run his offense they have a chance. If Kirk makes Lester run another hodgepodge of offensive philosophies, it won’t work.

Nobody is advocating CM be involved in a QB run RPO. RPO = run/pass option - you have the option to hand it off, or throw it based on your read. CM will wither hand it off or throw it. No running by him involved.
I understand that. I'm not advocating that either. I was just correcting a post in general terms not necessarily specific to Iowa.

Reactions: TailgateTom
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT