ADVERTISEMENT

No AJ

That’s wild. Iowa has a TON of financial resources, top notch facilities, huge tradition, and the Gable tree means there’s a bevy of good coaches to pick from. Any changed shouldn’t be expected to be more than a Blip.

Yeah a guy who’s never coached in college and has been running a club for a decade is an “obvious” choice to take over one of the top 2
Jobs in the country. Please. This job will attract sitting HCs and the very top assistants in the country.
How do you figure? Bringing in a big name, perhaps someone on the senior level, wouldn't change the dynamics and inject a bit excitement?

I'm confident you've even mentioned this a time or two that upgrading M* and Telford could be highly beneficial.

He shat on Flo, noted that the Oklahoma thing was false - that’s why the district attourney dropped it. Some complaining about officiating in final match. Noted that glazier said some very personal things after the match before the altercation.

And that he was accepted into Iowa the friday before the Soldier Salute and was planning on wrestling here. His brothers have already been here, and nothing in the interview made it sound like they weren't planning on staying either.

maybe tom might actually have lower himself and go out and try to recruit for a change.

not a problem at all if you are satisfied with continually getting out recruited and just trying to finish in the top 5 or 6 at nationals.
I never said I was fine with it, simply stated that the only team that's been spanking us PSU. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anybody care to summarize what he says?
He was pious and claimed he had been verbally abused all tournament long by fans and wrestlers. ZG was aggressive and threw a punch. His clothing line is doing well and he has three more years left to wrestle due to Olympic red shirt. He took a dig at GA along the way.

And that he was accepted into Iowa the friday before the Soldier Salute and was planning on wrestling here. His brothers have already been here, and nothing in the interview made it sound like they weren't planning on staying either.
I'm pretty sure that interview was done before he was told to leave.

Reactions: USPMAN and el dub
He was pious and claimed he had been verbally abused all tournament long by fans and wrestlers. ZG was aggressive and threw a punch. His clothing line is doing well and he has three more years left to wrestle due to Olympic red shirt. He took a dig at GA along the way.
What shot did he take at Gabe?

Yeah...he pretty much said hes the victim....

In everything!
He said he would take what he did at the SS back if he could. Got caught up in the moment. Talked about exactly what I thought on the reason he was so heated..Crowd was booing and atmosphere was just generally hostile against him all weekend for what was supposed to be a home crowd. Refs against him as well. Terrible stalling calls which Dennis said was one of the worst calls he’s seen.

At the end he mentioned and seemed open to what has been rumored on twitter that he could take an Olympic redshirt year and let all this noise die down and just come back next year.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Serious question - what coaches would you go after?
Only 5 head coaches have won titles since Zalesky's last in 2000, and only 3 since Brands first in 2008.

You aren't getting anyone who has won a title, and unless you are getting Koll, you aren't even getting anyone who had a runner up (Tom Ryan, Bormet). So then you are left hoping an up and comer can make it click - who are you taking? I doubt you get anybody from the PSU staff, and Im not sure who else makes you better.

This is undoubtedly a down year, but Iowa has had a rough 10 or so months. If you want Brands gone, fine, but I really dont think this is a Brands issue.. its just that right now its PSU and everyone else. If Iowa isn't back to podium status in the next year or two, maybe ill feel different
Pretty sure Tom Ryan won one at Ohio State in 2015 no?

Ben Askren, would be my first call.
DT
Koll
SCWAB EVERYDAY! Doug has intensity of brands and mat skills with great competition resume. He is head shoulders above brands in every quality characteristic of a great coach. Hes a players coach, he coaches each athlete to their strengths. Dudes on the mat everday with kids and outworks most to lead by example. He communicstes great infront of supporters, events and most important parents.

Look what this guy has done with 0 support from UnI. No money, broken down gym, shitty town(in comparison to IC/ames, dropping enrollment. He does what he does with nothing but himself. Nice guys but weak assistants too. He does it all. THINK WHAT HE COUPD DO WITH ALL OF BRANDS PERKS, FACILITIES, MONEY, history….etc! Hes the best choice imo

SCWAB EVERYDAY! Doug has intensity of brands and mat skills with great competition resume. He is head shoulders above brands in every quality characteristic of a great coach. Hes a players coach, he coaches each athlete to their strengths. Dudes on the mat everday with kids and outworks most to lead by example. He communicstes great infront of supporters, events and most important parents.

Look what this guy has done with 0 support from UnI. No money, broken down gym, shitty town(in comparison to IC/ames, dropping enrollment. He does what he does with nothing but himself. Nice guys but weak assistants too. He does it all. THINK WHAT HE COUPD DO WITH ALL OF BRANDS PERKS, FACILITIES, MONEY, history….etc! Hes the best choice imo
What has he done? Any top 10 finishes in the last 10 years? I like Doug, his wrestlers like him. But not sterling results.

So Interesting response - watch it. Just his perspective.
Only 14 minutes. How he said things started going south for him at this tournament was exactly what I thought after sitting through day 2. He has to remember, there were fans of other teams there, and they were probably the worst of the haters, but I’m sure there were a fair share of Iowa fans joining in, like the haters on here. Imagine if any other top recruit had just taken an official visit, been working out with our club for the past 6 weeks, enters a tournament in town to knock off the rust and wrestle in front of your future teams fans, and they attack you like you just entered psu’s home arena. I totally know where he’s coming from. Oky st fans didn’t treat him that way. Minnisota fan came on here and said Glazer has it out for him, so I’m not surprised he was easily sent into a rage after losing in OT to someone he doesn’t like who may take his spot. It was smart on his part, because he knew AJ wouldn’t back down, but he did take several steps back before standing his ground. Anyway, he did mention he could use an Olympic red shirt, so there maybe something to what that insider said. If this is the path, I think he would have to enroll in classes anyway to continue pursuing a degree. This may be the best for him in the long run, but he would be eligible for social security after graduation. Certainly would please Zack. Now watch Brands replace him with Kolby😂😂😂

The irony is truly amazing that AJ is saying he would take back his post match behavior if he could because Jesus wouldn't have been proud of that and AJ is a Christian, just moments after mocking @ChristianPyles by calling him Christina. The name literally has Christ in it, and AJ can't avoid acting unchristlike as he says it.
Man, some of you guys are so dam self righteous at all times. Talk about Aj being arrogant. If we held football and basketball recruits who come from inner cities to the same standards you hold the Ferrari family, it would eliminate 30-50% of recruits, and almost all SEC recruits.

Tom and Terry are popular with the kids, but have to believe this Ferrari thing has probably rubbed some of the kids the wrong way. The holes in this years team are just intensified by the gambling suspensions.

As far as the coaching of the kids, I feel like one of Tom’s worst mistakes was letting Metcalf leave town. Needed to find a spot for him. He has made his mark at Iowa State. Many of those kids show his toughness and intensity and are fundamental. Kids are developing and they are recruiting well since he got there with Dresser. Just really like that young man.

Yeah...he pretty much said hes the victim....

In everything!
Can’t say I disagree with anything he said, including wishing he could take back the ending after the crowd really turned on him. I approached his and his brothers match as Iowa versus Iowa , stated neutral and cheered for both guys.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
What has he done? Any top 10 finishes in the last 10 years? I like Doug, his wrestlers like him. But not sterling results.
Nine top 20 finishes, 18 AAs and 1 National Champ when competing with two other in state programs for recruits. Highest finish I found was 13 in his tenure, but I didn’t dig particularly deep.

Idk that top 10 should be the measuring stick for UNI. Not sure what it should be though.

Reactions: todiebyyourside
Nine top 20 finishes, 18 AAs and 1 National Champ when competing with two other in state programs for recruits. Highest finish I found was 13 in his tenure, but I didn’t dig particularly deep.

Idk that top 10 should be the measuring stick for UNI. Not sure what it should be though.
Ask Doug. You think he doesn't think top 10 ought to be their goal? That would be low for their goals. I think he'd tell you they have not met team expectations . I know its tough at UNI, but to get a plum job like Iowa, you need to raise eyebrows consistently. The Panthers have not done that.

Ask Doug. You think he doesn't think top 10 ought to be their goal? That would be low for their goals. I think he'd tell you they have not met team expectations . I know its tough at UNI, but to get a plum job like Iowa, you need to raise eyebrows consistently. The Panthers have not done that.
Honestly, I have no idea what his goal for their team would be. Just because that’s HIS measuring stick, doesn’t mean that’s how we should evaluate his success though. I’m not saying he should be top of the list, or even on the list though.

Honestly, I have no idea what his goal for their team would be. Just because that’s HIS measuring stick, doesn’t mean that’s how we should evaluate his success though. I’m not saying he should be top of the list, or even on the list though.
I think Doug is a good coach. Just not sure he's the guy to revitalize the Hawks. But who knows... i doubt he will ever sniff IC.

If Gabe takes off the redshirt, it will most likely be to wrestle 174, which means you still have 184 where both of the top two are suspended.
If he does take the RS off, my bet is his odds of placing higher, and of winning it all, are a bit better at 184 (this year). And gives the team, especially with AJ out, a slightly better chance to hold 2nd place. Yes, yes, I know he prefers 174 and of course what he wants to do matters.

The way AJ was talking fast and rambling in that "interview" it reminds me of a stereotypical coked up person. Also, that appeared heavily edited as there were no smooth transitions between topics, alot of jumping around. It was strange as usually their podcasts are pretty smooth.

Tom and Terry are popular with the kids, but have to believe this Ferrari thing has probably rubbed some of the kids the wrong way. The holes in this years team are just intensified by the gambling suspensions.

As far as the coaching of the kids, I feel like one of Tom’s worst mistakes was letting Metcalf leave town. Needed to find a spot for him. He has made his mark at Iowa State. Many of those kids show his toughness and intensity and are fundamental. Kids are developing and they are recruiting well since he got there with Dresser. Just really like that young man.
I loved BM as a wrestler but who has he developed around his weight? Outside of Legacy Carr who was a slam dunk, what have his results been?

The way AJ was talking fast and rambling in that "interview" it reminds me of a stereotypical coked up person. Also, that appeared heavily edited as there were no smooth transitions between topics, alot of jumping around. It was strange as usually their podcasts are pretty smooth.
Damn. Good ear.

AJ said a LOT of really crazy schitt. They edited to be nice.

Man, some of you guys are so dam self righteous at all times. Talk about Aj being arrogant. If we held football and basketball recruits who come from inner cities to the same standards you hold the Ferrari family, it would eliminate 30-50% of recruits, and almost all SEC recruits.
This is called something people make up. I doubt that the football team and basketball team are recruiting players with as problematic of a past as this guy.

I can think of a whole bunch of wrestlers currently in the NCAA and recruits that don’t have this baggage. I would start with the entire Iowa squad other than The Cell, Penn states tire squad, almost all wrestling recruits I hear about, and all, but maybe one NCA wrestler who was just tossed off a team for some dirty play or whatever. All this is is denial in the hope of getting a great restaurant on the team that in the process might hurt the program a lot more than it helps

Glad to see you and all the other PSU fans think we are much better off with the 3 Ferrari brothers. Maybe you could let us have 3 or 4 of your huge collection of blue chip recruits to make up for it.
It’s not up to me lol. But seriously, you don’t see the problems with this guy? Didn’t Chittum already leave due to these people?

How do you figure? Bringing in a big name, perhaps someone on the senior level, wouldn't change the dynamics and inject a bit excitement?

How do I figure that Iowa would attract top shelf coaching candidates? Is that a serious question?

Doug is a fantastic guy and in the perfect spot for him. The fans love him so much that they aren't super concerned his results are only pedestrian. He has the same issues with injuries and burnout that we see in Iowa City. You wouldn't find a better person to run a program but at the end of the day he hasn't done enough at UNI to warrant serious consideration in Iowa City or another big time job.

If he does take the RS off, my bet is his odds of placing higher, and of winning it all, are a bit better at 184 (this year). And gives the team, especially with AJ out, a slightly better chance to hold 2nd place. Yes, yes, I know he prefers 174 and of course what he wants to do matters.
His chances of winning it all might be a bit better at 184 (although Keck is no pushover, of course), but Gabe is the type of competitor who would rather go after Starocci than duck him. "Beat the best to be the best". It's the mindset of a champion. Whether he actually can beat Starocci remains to be seen, but if that's what he wants to do, he should.

Reactions: Trapper85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT